Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The first example of MS using some special technique to override the locked 30 fps and bring a game up to 60 fps has been shown, Fallout 4 running at 60fps on the Series S.

Continually impressed by what MS has achieved with their BC program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Even if it's 8k at 240fps, why would anyone want to waste their time playing Fallout 4 on a new console? Sure, it's technically impressive what they've made work, but I just don't see the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Continually impressed by what MS has achieved with their BC program.

I'm not.

If they give us Jet Set Radio Future and Otogi 1 and 2 then I might be.

I'm not bitter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

quokula wrote: »
    Even if it's 8k at 240fps, why would anyone want to waste their time playing Fallout 4 on a new console? Sure, it's technically impressive what they've made work, but I just don't see the point.

I'm not going to be rushing back to Fallout 4, it's just an example. I've recently kicked off a Mass Effect playthrough though, and that's a 360 game.

To be honest, any game that I really enjoyed, I could go back to at any time.

I don't specifically want to play Fallout 4 but there are quite a few current gen titles that I would like to play again, or have not even played yet.

If they're patching them to look better and run better, for free, that can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder where Microsoft see the benefit of doing this. Not that I'm complaining, I think it's great. The amount of effort they put in is insane, just look at the FF13 series remasters, it's pretty much a brand new build of the game you are playing. Sony don't go to this much trouble other than with their own games that straddle a generation and really they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I assume its to make Game pass all the more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Because Fallout 4 is a good game, and the game ran like absolute dog**** on the base PS4 and Xbox, including the Pro and One X, because of the weak CPU's and how Fallout's Creation Engine is heavily single thread dependent.

It was 30fps cap but at times it dropped to about 10-15fps.

A solid 60fps is a radically different experience, would be enough for plenty to go and revisit or pick it up again or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm playing fallout 76 atm (actually really enjoying it as a new player with all the stuff they've added) but it looks awful. Whatever about the poor performance on the ps4 pro, it just looks bad. I read a review recently where they said the game can look as good as RDR 2 sometimes, clearly played with some mods or they remember RDR 2 very differently. I remember Witcher 3 making me realise how bad Fallout 4 looked. If ever a franchise needed a new engine, it's FO.

Are you playing on PC? I'm playing on PC at the moment and I think it actually looks pretty good. Excellent draw distances, much more open map than Fallout 4 and the lines of sight seem much better. Don't get me wrong, it's not what I'd call beautiful, but 76 is easily the best looking and most open-world feeling Fallout yet.

I am playing at native 4K though with everything set to ultra.

I did play it on Xbox One X initially, and it wasn't great on that. Considering it was the most powerful console version, and putting aside the chuggy framerate issues and weird motion, even visually there was a ton of pop-in and distance issues.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Are you playing on PC?

PS4 Pro.

Yeah, one of the biggest issues with the consoles is that the Creation Engine used is pretty horrible, and it's heavily single thread reliant.

It's why Fallout 4 ran way better on a cheap Intel dual core i3 than AMD's - at the time - $800 monster FX-9590 8 core processor.

Both the Xbox and PS4 use AMD 8-core Jaguar processors which are based on that old tech. It's the biggest handicap of the PS4 and Xbox, including Pro/X variants.

I know from playing F76 on Xbox One v Xbox One, it is massively better on the One X, though the same framerate problems exist because of the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

SeriesX for GamePass/Multiplats/Exclusives.

Discounted PS5 down the line for the few exclusives

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Debating on whether to get an xbox series S aswell as the ps5 for gamepass and the likes.

Feel like it might be too indulgent and also feel like the s will be left in the dust after a few years and not be future proofed.

Xbox series launch line up is up now.

Absolutely nothing new or unique to the console line up.

So by default the worst launch line up ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBPrYJDoDE

PS5 user interface is revealed.

Vicxas wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBPrYJDoDE

PS5 user interface is revealed.

Looks great.

Kinda funny how some of it's quite like the launch Xbox One UI, with the help cards that can be "snapped" to the side. MS have basically abandoned all that functionality over the years, the hardware just couldn't support it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reading the impressions and launch news about the Series X and it sounds like an impressive piece of hardware with some serious brute force. But it almost sounds more like a GPU upgrade than a new console upgrade. The idea of booting up a favourite game with new resolution and frame rate as the main launch day treat sounds very like a new graphics card day to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God i miss new GFX card day.

Vicxas wrote: »
    God i miss new GFX card day.

I don't. Save for months, buy a shiny new gfx card, get a new game to go along with it, install it, get drivers, install game... "You can play on medium settings" :( I was always like a gen behind, could never get one good enough to run high/ultra settings. I do miss messing around with pc parts though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Series X is a long term proposition for MS. It looks like the really nailed the architecture for this. Including backward compatibility, series s, series x and future hardware releases. Looks like it's really well designed, quiet and powerful. Very impressive engineering behind this. I'm truly amazed how we have such power for such a low price.

It's ridiculous what we take for granted and nit pick. Most people, including myself are just consumers of this stuff. This is incredibly sustained hard word, focus, teamwork and genius over many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

So Iv a ps4 and the ps4 gold headset . Iv the ps5 pre ordered and Because of the Bethesda takeover , game pass and the feeling that Microsoft are hammering Sony on new gen front I’m Defo going to buy one of the new Xbox’s aswel .i like my gold headset but any suggestions of what I’m going to do head set wise to get something to that I can use on ps5 / new x box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

brady12 wrote: »
    So Iv a ps4 and the ps4 gold headset . Iv the ps5 pre ordered and Because of the Bethesda takeover , game pass and the feeling that Microsoft are hammering Sony on new gen front I’m Defo going to buy one of the new Xbox’s aswel .i like my gold headset but any suggestions of what I’m going to do head set wise to get something to that I can use on ps5 / new x box ?

Best options for wireless headsets compatible with both formats are the Steelseries Arctis 7x(€179), Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox(€130)(both Steelseries are also compatible wirelessly with Switch) or the Astro A20 Gen 2(requires purchase of 2nd dongle, headset is €120 additional PS or Xbox dongle is €20).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

The Steelseries 7X seems to get the best reviews, made for Xbox but adapter avail e for it to work with PS and Xbox

A review of different ones at different et price ranges here:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-gaming-headset-for-pc-xbox-one-ps4-switch-7032

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah i am going to settle on the arctis 1 for xbox, the support on their site advised me it will work with pulse 3d so save myself 70 or so quid and get them instead

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Reading the impressions and launch news about the Series X and it sounds like an impressive piece of hardware with some serious brute force. But it almost sounds more like a GPU upgrade than a new console upgrade. The idea of booting up a favourite game with new resolution and frame rate as the main launch day treat sounds very like a new graphics card day to me!

I actually really love this about new xbox and you kind of nailed it. Its like having your new or upgraded PC, so you can play games you love and already playing, but they run better and look better. I prefer this way more to launch of PS4/xbox one back in the day. Where you had to play, whatever is out for next 6 months, not what you want to play.

Then again, you cant please everyone. There will be people who will moan no matter what way new consoles launch. In my books, xbox launching console really damn well. On top of this, you have Game pass, so no shortage of what to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

any reccomendations for a tv for nex gen? be using it for live sport on iptv too.

any reccomendations for a tv for nex gen? be using it for live sport on iptv too.

Depends on your price range and the tv size you want. Best tv for gaming atm is the LG CX OLED range, both the 48 inch and 55 inch models are currently €1600. Yields are poor for the 48 as they have to make 2 77 inch panels with every 2 48 inch panels on the mother glass causing supply issues and a high price, the glass for the 55 inch screens are made by themselves in batches of 8.

I went with the Samsung Q70T. Cheaper than the Oled panels and full hdmi 2.1

• Advertisement

I went with the Samsung Q70T. Cheaper than the Oled panels and full hdmi 2.1

The Q70T does not have the bells and whistles the LG Oleds have, it also only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port vs the LGs 4.

Advertisement