Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1321497858940395520

MS doing a bit of a flex here, looks like they had to wait until AMD announced all the RDNA2 features before detailing it all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Another Halo Infinite director off the project:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1321494790098354177?s=21

Not sure if it’ll ever come out, but would be fascinating to hear the full story of this project and it’s various iterations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure if it’ll ever come out, but would be fascinating to hear the full story of this project and it’s various iterations.

It'll definitely come out, the question I'd have is will it come out on the Xbox One generation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CatInABox wrote: »
    It'll definitely come out, the question I'd have is will it come out on the Xbox One generation.

Oh sorry, meant whether the story will ever come out! The game I’m sure will be along probably next year in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Im getting ps5 at launch but I want pre Order an Xbox series X . Where would best place be to pre order one at this late stage or should I just wait and see who has stock. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Is it just me or is the raw data table mainly blank on this?

It doesn't give a breakdown of what data is being used or how it's being used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

I'm looking at the map and thinking ...

It's crazy in 2020 when there are open standards that we need separate consoles (with pretty much the same hardware).
    People buying both consoles. Both companies spending billions competing against each other.
    Complete set of incompatible accessories. All end up in landfill times 2.
    Billions of dumb empty blue ray cases.
    Developers wasting so much time and effort and cash porting and testing software to/on different consoles.
    What a crazy waste of energy and resources.
    Climate and environment disaster facing us.
    Let's face it. It's ****ing DUMB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    I'm looking at the map and thinking ...

It's crazy in 2020 when there are open standards that we need separate consoles (with pretty much the same hardware).
    People buying both consoles. Both companies spending billions competing against each other.
    Complete set of incompatible accessories. All end up in landfill times 2.
    Billions of dumb empty blue ray cases.
    Developers wasting so much time and effort and cash porting and testing software to/on different consoles.
    What a crazy waste of energy and resources.
    Climate and environment disaster facing us.
    Let's face it. It's ****ing DUMB.

You might want to think a bit harder.
    most people won't buy both.
    without competiton, you've a monopoly, driving prices higher.
    All microsoft accessories from current gen are compatible with the next gen, so if anything, less new accessories being sold.
    If your point about the hardware being the same is true, then surely porting to both consoles is easier now than ever before.

as for the rest of your incoherent rambling, I'm not sure what purpose it serves.

Yep didn't really mean people might buy both. Just saying that some people actually do.
    But the rest is still true. It's a waste of energy and resources having to develop and test OS and games for incompatible but pretty much equivalent hardware. And produce equivalent but incompatible peripherals for each. Basically people are buying into a brand.

Purpose? Just pointing out the complete consumer madness this is :) don't worry I fall for it too. Where is my Xbox fridge ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Yep didn't really mean people might buy both. Just saying that some people actually do.
    But the rest is still true. It's a waste of energy and resources having to develop and test OS and games for incompatible but pretty much equivalent hardware. And produce equivalent but incompatible peripherals for each. Basically people are buying into a brand.

How is different to phones or anything else? Do we have one brand/type of car, fridge, earphones, plane, etc., because it’s a waste to do otherwise?

How is different to phones or anything else? Do we have one brand/type of car, fridge, earphones, plane, etc., because it’s a waste to do otherwise?

I don't see why we need an Xbox controller and a ps controller or a switch pro controller ... Why not one that works with them all ? They are much the same. Why do we need PS and XBox blu ray cases ? Why different headsets ?

I know stuff has to change but why if it's not adding much. Isn't that a real waste ?

I guess I should just pick the PC option. :)

But standards are there to help everyone. What's the point of Bluetooth or USB if the rest is strangely incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I guess I should just pick the PC option. :)

But standards are there to help everyone. What's the point of Bluetooth or USB if the rest is strangely incompatible.

Pc option is even worse in terms of waste. There are hundreds of options for pretty much every component.

Ok. MS Sony mostly make money off software. It's the Gillette model. They take a hit on the hardware but get their money back on software.

I just care about the software ... The games. Why do I need to buy some special but the same hardware to play the latest Spiderman or Forza ...

Why don't they just sell the software ...
    It's going this way with cloud and streaming ...
    So maybe it's all moot.
    But in the meantime it's consumer frenzy.

Until they start selling us bespoke VR equipment.
    Which should be standardized ...
    And on and on :)

These are smart people who are generating huge waste worldwide that really is not benefiting anyone. They should be consolidating and reducing hardware waste and competing on software. The hardware they do produce should be compatible and easily serviceable,
    recyclable andd with some decent life span and future compatibility built into it.

Emperor's new clothes. With Xbox fridge unboxing video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I just care about the software ... The games. Why do I need to buy some special but the same hardware to play the latest Spiderman or Forza

I also only care about the software but having hardware options is required if you want great software. If you only had one console manufacturer there would be less games of the quality of Zelda, God of war or Forza.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Welcome to capitalism.

PC is always the correct answer anyway.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I also only care about the software but having hardware options is required if you want great software. If you only had one console manufacturer there would be less games of the quality of Zelda, God of war or Forza.

What I'm saying is that Sony Microsoft should work together to consolidate where possible and give us one home console hardware platform where we can buy any of their software on. They are generally not making money on hardware. Currently they are repackaging other manufacturers CPU GPUs anyway. PS5 and XBOX X are very similar capability wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What I'm saying is that Sony Microsoft Nintendo should work together to consolidate where possible and give us one home console hardware platform where we can buy any of their software on. They are generally not making money on hardware.

But they make more money as the gatekeepers to that hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Welcome to capitalism.

PC is always the correct answer anyway.

I disagree, I think PS5 + Xbox series S + switch is a better option but sure it all depends on what games you can live without.

• Advertisement

But they make more money as the gatekeepers to that hardware.

I'm not sure. The best selling games are the multi platform even "free to play" stuff. Nintendo could sell 100m BOTWs on a common platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure. The best selling games are the multi platform even "free to play" stuff. Nintendo could sell 100m BOTWs on a common platform.

And lose out on billions from developer fees on their on platform.

Economics isn't as simple as the armchair economist often thinks it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Most companies take about a 30% slice from games and DLC sold on their platform. There's no way they want to give that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

If it was in their interest to homogenise then they would have done it. As it stands, each having their own dedicated digital store on their own platform makes much more sense, with digital purchases only on the up.

But the concept of one console to stop waste is completely flawed. You’d end up making pretty much the same amount of that one console to meet demand. You’d stop some people buying more than one console(some people will still buy multiple) and you’d be waiting much longer for a new console without any competition. In fact, if for some reason they did all make one console it opens up the market for a competitor.

Most companies take about a 30% slice from games and DLC sold on their platform. There's no way they want to give that up.

Ok - sorry for hijacking this thread. Didn't mean to dampen anyone's excitement for the new stuff. It's a great time to be a video game player. I was just going through possibilities of selling old stuff to buy new stuff. And having to choose between pretty much identical hardware to play specific games (again!) is nuts and such waste. I'd say this is the last generation for traditional home consoles. It's XCloud/Stadia/Netflix/Disney+ streaming time. I think it'll come back to "client" side stuff again when VR really takes off. Hopefully we'll have standard holo decks and not Sony and MS specific ones. Or Apple premium ones.

Have to admit, the Souls games have never been for me, but Demon's Souls looks great.

Well it's as good a time as any to correct how wrong you've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, demon's souls is looking better and better.
    There is a new fractured mode too which shakes things up a bit. It's a great idea because the game is pretty short (compared to the other FROM souls games).
    Definitely a Day 1 purchase for me on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'll be getting both. Series X next month and PS5 sometime next year or maybe 2022.

• Advertisement

Ubisoft are saying that some of their PS4 games won't be BC on PS5, including Assassins Creed Syndicate and a few of their VR games.
    Games with Backwards compatibility

Most of our back catalogue of games will have backward compatibility between the next and current generation of consoles, with a few exceptions*. This means that you will be able to play your Xbox One game on Xbox Series X|S, or play your PlayStation®4 to PlayStation®5. On top of that, some of our backwards compatible games will have cross progression available within the same family of console: For Honor (with free graphical enhancements), The Division 2, The Crew 2 and the upcoming releases of Just Dance 2021 and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake.

* on Xbox Series X|S, all our Xbox One games will be backward compatible. On PlayStation®5, all games will be backward compatible except the following ones: Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, Space Junkies.

From here.

I have to admit, when Sony said that the list of incompatible games was subject to change, I didn't think it would go up in number. Presumably these actually start, but there's too many errors to call it "compatible". Wonder will they get a patch?

Advertisement