Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ubisoft are saying that some of their PS4 games won't be BC on PS5, including Assassins Creed Syndicate and a few of their VR games.

From here.

I have to admit, when Sony said that the list of incompatible games was subject to change, I didn't think it would go up in number. Presumably these actually start, but there's too many errors to call it "compatible". Wonder will they get a patch?

Weird that of all the main AC games, the one that doesn't work is Syndicate.

That's interesting. I would like to know more about the BC situation in terms of - is there a whitelist ? Can publishers block their games from playing ? With these Ubisoft games, who is deciding they can't run, why were they not on the list published by Sony? Is it Sony informing Ubisoft that they don't work?

Interesting times ahead. I expect Series X to do a much better job of BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Space Junkies is relatively recent release (last year I think) so that's a bit surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

That's interesting. I would like to know more about the BC situation in terms of - is there a whitelist ? Can publishers block their games from playing ? With these Ubisoft games, who is deciding they can't run, why were they not on the list published by Sony? Is it Sony informing Ubisoft that they don't work?

Interesting times ahead. I expect Series X to do a much better job of BC.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/10/xbox_is_already_thinking_about_backwards_compatibility_seven_years_from_now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With these Ubisoft games, who is deciding they can't run, why were they not on the list published by Sony? Is it Sony informing Ubisoft that they don't work?

It's possible that Sony has only done very basic testing, i.e. does the game boot up and are you able to load into the game. I'm sure it was more rigorous than that, but Ubisoft has obviously been able to take a proper look at their own games recently and decided that these ones aren't up to par.

Apparently, there's a list of 100 games with "unexpected behaviour or errors" floating around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CatInABox wrote: »
    Alright, this is just getting weird. Really can't believe that they wouldn't bring their VR headset with them into the next generation.

They are likely going to release another PSVR with actually good controllers to take advantage of the PS5 hardware in a few years time, after people spend 400/500 on a new system they don't want to think about spending another few hundred quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They won't release it until the install base is established. They'd only be selling to a small minority of early adopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They won't release it until the install base is established. They'd only be selling to a small minority of early adopters.

Yip, that was always going to be the case. But I’m still taken aback by this move. They could build the platform with the existing hardware and then introduce an upgraded wireless model in three years time. They’re just going to let it stagnate now and a lot of their good work will be wasted. I shouldn’t be surprised given Jim Ryan’s recent comments on VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I don't see the whole issue if not every old title is backward compatible. It's worrying if this is the measurement of success.

The whole point of new consoles is to offer new experiences that were previously not achievable in the old consoles. The only title doing that so far is the new ratchet and clank game.

It is nice that the new consoles will have a ready made library but it seems to be the crutch holding up an absolutely abysmal to non existent opening line-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It is nice that the new consoles will have a ready made library but it seems to be the crutch holding up an absolutely abysmal to non existent opening line-up.

The launch lineup was never going to be great anyway, it always takes at least a year for a new console to be worth buying, BC just helps make a new console worth buying sooner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Videos coming out now about the game help feature of the PS5 OS. It's looking more and more like the PS5 interface ripping off the WiiU miiverse quite a lot.

I'm all for that as the Miiverse was great and felt like a real community on the system. It's definitely a damn sight better than the sterile and boring PS4 OS interface.

Greyfox wrote: »
    The launch lineup was never going to be great anyway, it always takes at least a year for a new console to be worth buying, BC just helps make a new console worth buying sooner.

Launch line ups are usually something to get excited about. The PS4 and One line ups were very poor but it doens't mean we have to accept that as the status quo especially when we have had recent consoles like the Switch, 3DS and even the Vita and PSP that had great line ups and even the PS360 line ups were.... interesting even if a bit of a let down. I think MS have let themselves down not having Infinite ready and I can't really get excited about Sony's line up.... although I've a funny feeling astrobot is going to be surprisingly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would have loved if Microsoft had a new Forza game (motorsport or horizon) as a launch title for the new Xbox's.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Videos coming out now about the game help feature of the PS5 OS. It's looking more and more like the PS5 interface ripping off the WiiU miiverse quite a lot.

I'm all for that as the Miiverse was great and felt like a real community on the system. It's definitely a damn sight better than the sterile and boring PS4 OS interface.

To me, it looks more like it was more inspired by the original Xbox One design, where you could "snap" a help video to the side for any achievement or area.

It was killed off for various reasons, including all those that you'd guess (underpowered platform, a portion of the screen is taken up, required you to use ****ing Bing for ****s sake), but the one that was most likely to have been the real killer is the fact that it's simply easier to use your phone for this kind of thing. Maybe the fact that this is official and more built in will help it, but I don't know, I really don't like things making my screen smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

dustempire wrote: »
    Thank you, was about to do exactly that but wasn’t sure that parcelmotel would deliver that big a parcel... I think ps5 with the box might not fit in their standard locker

Box/packaging dimensions (PS5)

• Height: 17 inches / 43 cm
    • Width: 18.5 inches / 47 cm
    • Depth: 7 inches / 18 cm
    • Weight: 14lb 8 ounces / 6.7 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CoD: Modern Warfare: I require 200GB to install.

CoD: Cold War: Hold my beer.
    https://twitter.com/Kaaution/status/1324022363336462342?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CoD: Modern Warfare: I require 200GB to install.

CoD: Cold War: Hold my beer.
    https://twitter.com/Kaaution/status/1324022363336462342?s=09

Official details
    File Size (at launch)*

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB

PlayStation 5: 133GB

Xbox One: 93GB

Xbox Series X|S: 136GB
    https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/1324049638354153472?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Official details
    File Size (at launch)*

In order to pre-load Black Ops Cold War, you must have the following free drive space on your platform:

PlayStation 4: 95GB

PlayStation 5: 133GB

Xbox One: 93GB

Xbox Series X|S: 136GB
    https://twitter.com/CallofDuty/status/1324049638354153472?s=19

Not unusual for the box to overstate the required size, the box would have been printed weeks ago. Prior to release psn stated that RDR2 required 150gb.

I‘d say they are banking on selling a lot of HD extensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

From what I see online, XBox reviews are due tomorrow and PS5 on Friday. 1pm our time both days.

Edit: I may be out by an hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reviews seem to be universally great, with the only real downside being the very, very predictable: No next gen games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Series X looks much better in a vertical position. That's the way I'll have mine.

Eurogamer review is so weird. Singing the consoles praises and yet there's literally no games to play on it and test it. It's so bizarre to have a launch with nothing on it.

Not too surprised, there weren't that many titles available on Xbox one launch either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

It's literally a new machine designed to play games on, and reviewers are just glossing over the fact there's no new games to play on it. So bizarre.

Also sad to hear that suspend resume doesn't really work.
    both myself and my colleagues have encountered titles and scenarios that are problematic with the feature and while by and large it works great, there is the sense that it's more like an advanced beta feature at the moment, rather than the system showcase it should be

Sounds very much like the suspend resume for single games on the Xbox One X. It works about 80% of the time, which may as well be 0% because it means you know you can never confidently walk away from the console without first making sure you've saved your progress. The PS4's suspend / resume has worked 100% flawlessly since day 1 of release on the other hand. Hopefully we see better from the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

It’s a very “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” console that doesn’t seem exciting without some exclusives to really push it and make it a must have IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    It's literally a new machine designed to play games on, and reviewers are just glossing over the fact there's no new games to play on it. So bizarre.

Also sad to hear that suspend resume doesn't really work.

Sounds very much like the suspend resume for single games on the Xbox One X. It works about 80% of the time, which may as well be 0% because it means you know you can never confidently walk away from the console without first making sure you've saved your progress. The PS4's suspend / resume has worked 100% flawlessly since day 1 of release on the other hand. Hopefully we see better from the PS5.

It's meant to be 5 games in the quick resume on the X but there seems to be something funny going on at the moment where some games are falling out of it. Maybe an update can fix it though.

• Advertisement

Weak launch line-ups are the new normal, games take so long to make.

PS5 devkits started going out a little over a year ago. I don't know about Series X|S devkits. So if you want a game ready for launch it needs to be a remake (someone has already done all the level design, balancing etc), a DLC or something else that is quick to make. And then things got even worse with covid so even some of these "quick" games slipped their launch date.

It'll be around 18-24 months before next-gen really starts to have a number of compelling titles. MS policy of having no exclusives looks bad now but it's immaterial in the grand scheme of things. Any next-gen exclusives they could have had ready would have been crap.

Advertisement