Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Deal breaker on PS5 not having 1440p support.

Series X having no launch games is bizarre also

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just an FYI for anyone still looking for a Series X there (or even a PS5), Currys put up more consoles there, took a load of orders, issued everyone receipts, and then cancelled the orders.

Might happen again, so don't get your hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Deal breaker on PS5 not having 1440p support.

For the 5 people that use a computer monitor with their PS. Everyone else has them stuck under their telly.

• For the 5 people that use a computer monitor with their PS. Everyone else has them stuck under their telly.

Made up figures

Downplaying it's importance.

It's trending, people care.

BLACK Ops Cold War will run at 120fps

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Hello,

We noticed that you may have used a freight forwarder when you ordered your Xbox Series X.

We’re pleased to confirm that this item is now available for delivery to addresses in the Republic of Ireland.

You can update your orders delivery address to an Irish address by following these steps:

1. Click on Your Account at the top of any page of our website.

2. Under "Orders" click the "Your Orders" button, and sign in with your e-mail address and password.

3. Click the "Change Delivery Address" button next to the order number you want to modify.

4. To use an address that's already in your account, scroll down through the list and click the "Use This Address" button beneath the correct address.

5. To use a new address, click on "Add Address" and enter the new information. If this is an address to which you haven’t previously dispatched orders, we’ll ask you to re-enter your payment card number for security purposes.

6. Remember to click the "Confirm" button after making your change.

Please also note that if the order is marked "Dispatching soon", it’s already entered the dispatch process and you won’t be able to make any changes to it. Also, if the order is a gift that was ordered with just the recipient's e-mail address, for security reasons you won’t be able to view or edit the delivery address.

Please note: amending your order may affect the original estimated delivery date.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

Had a look how that would impact the actual delivery date (10th Nov) and changing the delivery address to an address in ROI one would actually mean i wouldn't get it until 19th Nov.

• Advertisement

Made up figures

Downplaying it's importance.

BLACK Ops Cold War will run at 120fps
    Don't know if this is the case specifically for COD, but the xbox will do 1440p @ 120fps upscale to 4k. Unless you have bionic eyes you want be able to tell the difference in resolution. You'll definitely notice the buttery smooth 120fps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't know if this is the case specifically for COD, but the xbox will do 1440p @ 120fps upscale to 4k. Unless you have bionic eyes you want be able to tell the difference in resolution. You'll definitely notice the buttery smooth 120fps though.

PS5 doesn't offer native 1440P output. So if you're playing it on a 1440P monitor you have to pick 1080P or 4K and if it's treated the same as PS4 Pro then the image will look crap.

The Xbox can output 1080P, 1440P or 4K. It gives everyone a choice.

You would notice the difference between upscaled 4K and native 4K. Although that difference is getting very close with DLSS.

My preferred way to play is at 1440P on the highest quality settings I can play on and at or above 100fps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PS5 won't have expandable storage at launch. Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

See here.

You'd wonder how their compatibility testing will work.

Anyway, I don't think it'll matter too much, I think the ability to move games into cold storage on a standard USB drive will be enough with the transfer speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Playstation is trending, but after scrolling through about 100 tweets, not one mention of it. It's all about the other announcements or news by PS.

It's definitely important to a lot of people. No question. But it's not important to either enough or the majority of people, and I'm sure if it was Sony would have included it. Maybe it'll come in a later software update. Don't know. But I'm sorry, I really think you're overstating the issue because it's important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Gally79 wrote: »
    Had a look how that would impact the actual delivery date (10th Nov) and changing the delivery address to an address in ROI one would actually mean i wouldn't get it until 19th Nov.

So by changing your address your Series X becomes a PS5?

Although I'll unlikely play them, any word on how online games like FIFA and CoD will work? Like will they be cross platform and cross gen?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So by changing your address your Series X becomes a PS5?

Although I'll unlikely play them, any word on how online games like FIFA and CoD will work? Like will they be cross platform and cross gen?

Don't know about FIFA but CoD is cross platform and generation, on PS, not sure about xbox, assume the same.

• Penn wrote: »
    Playstation is trending, but after scrolling through about 100 tweets, not one mention of it. It's all about the other announcements or news by PS.

It's definitely important to a lot of people. No question. But it's not important to either enough or the majority of people, and I'm sure if it was Sony would have included it. Maybe it'll come in a later software update. Don't know. But I'm sorry, I really think you're overstating the issue because it's important to you.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1324335926420668419?s=19

It's IGNs top tweeted news article today

You are downplaying it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just to be clear, if you buy a ps5 and have a 1440p pc monitor, you will only be able to play it in 1080p correct? I suppose it's weird why it can't hit 1440p if it can hit 4k (excuse my ignorance), has to be a very small number of people this will actually affect though?

Any explanation why it can't support it or how Sony might be able to implement it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just to be clear, if you buy a ps5 and have a 1440p pc monitor, you will only be able to play it in 1080p correct? I suppose it's weird why it can't hit 1440p if it can hit 4k (excuse my ignorance), has to be a very small number of people this will actually affect though?

Any explanation why it can't support it or how Sony might be able to implement it?

I've a 1440p monitor. It's insane it's not supported. It's literally a toggle in an ini file.

It's something I can see being patched.

• Zero-Cool wrote: »

This is looking like a down sample to 1080p if you have a 1440p panel

I see a few on here making this claim n bold without anything to back it up

A large number of people play consoles on monitors it isn't some 1% thing that's being implied

Majority of streamers use high refresh rate monitors for all platforms

If you are looking for a great balance between resolution and high refresh rate this is a fine middle ground

It's supported natively on Xbox Series S & X. It's a ridiculous omission by Sony to not include this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,122 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had pre-ordered the PS5, cancelled that and switched to Series X when I saw the size of the playstation and the Bethesda announcement (elder scrolls one of the only must have games for me).

I've since swapped my One X for a PS4 pro and am playing through the exclusives I missed out on. Hooked on God of War now so might have to pick up a PS5 slim a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

It's totally anecdotal but none of my friends or myself that have had a PS/Xbox have played it on monitors, it would always be hooked up to the TV. From what people say here, I can see the benefit/options it provides, but tbh I couldn't imagine playing the PS5 on a computer monitor when I've a much bigger screen to play it on in more comfort, for me.

Mind you I've never been a proper PC gamer so that obviously influences how I associate gaming, but that's just my experience in my friend group. This 1440p thing isn't really a big concern for me but if it's a straightforward thing for Sony to include it's odd they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

shrewdness wrote: »
    It's totally anecdotal but none of my friends or myself that have had a PS/Xbox have played it on monitors, it would always be hooked up to the TV. From what people say here, I can see the benefit/options it provides, but tbh I couldn't imagine playing the PS5 on a computer monitor when I've a much bigger screen to play it on in more comfort, for me.

Mind you I've never been a proper PC gamer so that obviously influences how I associate gaming, but that's just my experience in my friend group. This 1440p thing isn't really a big concern for me but if it's a straightforward thing for Sony to include it's odd they didn't.

If they included it it would be an extra burden on every game developer who ever submits a game on the platform, to test an additional output resolution. Given that practically nobody in the real world will be using these monitors with the console they probably deemed it worth the trade off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quokula wrote: »
    If they included it it would be an extra burden on every game developer who ever submits a game on the platform, to test an additional output resolution. Given that practically nobody in the real world will be using these monitors with the console they probably deemed it worth the trade off.

You'd be surprised as I said myself I use a 1440p monitor and for pro gaming 1440p is good for high framerates at decent resolutions. Sony probably aren't chasing high framerates as a priority.

quokula wrote: »

It'd be an extra burden on every developer? But the vast majority games are multi platform games and are already available at 1440P output on Xbox and PC. It's only the PS that isn't offering it. There's no extra burden on these developers to have their game run at 1440P on PS5.

Your seriously clutching at straws here now and it's definitely coming across as fanboyism.

It'd be interesting to get a poll added on how many people have 4K 120Hz TVs added to the thread and how many people have 1440P monitors. It might shine some light on these claims that practically nobody in the real world will be using the PS5 with a monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to get a poll added on how many people have 4K 120Hz TVs added to the thread and how many people have 1440P monitors. It might shine some light on these claims that practically nobody in the real world will be using the PS5 with a monitor.

As I tried to explain to you several times yesterday; the issue is that the numbers of 1440P gamers is tapped out. There's nothing driving that. There's no companies majorly pushing a 1440P TV for gamers. The Market is done expanding. It's a niche. It's fin. Whether that small number is bigger than the current install base of 4k 120hz tvs is absolutely irrelevant, because (AND HERE'S THE POINT) there's massive potential growth for the TVs over the life of the consoles lifespan.

I think the results might be skewed somewhat when taking a poll of people on a gaming forum compared to everyone who would have a console, though could still be interesting to see.

Again, I don't think it's practically nobody, but I do think the percentage would be quite low, and even then it's not like you can't use the PS5 with a monitor, it's only that specific resolution which isn't currently supported.

Penn wrote: »
    I think the results might be skewed somewhat when taking a poll of people on a gaming forum compared to everyone who would have a console, though could still be interesting to see.

Again, I don't think it's practically nobody, but I do think the percentage would be quite low, and even then it's not like you can't use the PS5 with a monitor, it's only that specific resolution which isn't currently supported.

Yes there will be more people in a gaming forum with a 4K 120Hz TV and a 1440P monitor than your average poll of the normal population but it should give a general idea of what's more prevalent.

The PS4 Pro looked awful on a 1440P monitor because of the system's lack of compatibility. It's a real shame.

Yes there will be more people in a gaming forum with a 4K 120Hz TV and a 1440P monitor than your average poll of the normal population but it should give a general idea of what's more prevalent.

The PS4 Pro looked awful on a 1440P monitor because of the system's lack of compatibility. It's a real shame.

I think a lot of us have a 4K 60hz TV

Don't go making assumptions there Richy Rich.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't go making assumptions there Richy Rich.

Well it’s a valid assumption if you‘re getting yourself a ps5 or an Xbox series X , smarty 😛

I do as well.

The point I'm making though is the reason given in here for Sony not supporting 1440P was because the small amount off 1440P monitors users. Its just an excuse though when the 1440P ownership levels are above those of 4K 120Hz and 8K TV owners and Sony have supported those.

I think a more accurate comparison would be those who use TVs vs those who use monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I've got a Series X on preorder but I tried to get a PS5. I have a game pass subscription so it just makes sense to get an Xbox. I also have a high refresh rate 1440p monitor that the console will be hooked up to as I don't get much time to myself on the living room TV. The PS5 looks like the more exciting and innovative console however.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I think a more accurate comparison would be those who use TVs vs those who use monitors.

How would that be a better comparison to highlight the levels of user base for 4K 120Hz and 1440P usage to properly discuss why Sony neglected some output options and included other?

Advertisement