Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How would that be a better comparison to highlight the levels of user base for 4K 120Hz and 1440P usage to properly discuss why Sony neglected some output options and included other?

Because I think for the majority of all PS5 users, they're either going to play on a TV (and therefore the best TV they have or can afford), or a monitor (and therefore the best TV they have or can afford).

I've a 4K TV. Not sure if it's 120Hz, would have to check. But even if I had a 1440P monitor (I possibly do, I've never checked) and my TV was only 60Hz, I'd still play on my TV because that's where I play my games. If my TV was only 1080P I'd still play on it because that's where I play my games.

I think Sony would know the vast majority of their userbase play on TV rather than monitors, and so optimised for 1080p and 4K at whatever framerates rather than 1440P monitors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure there's 1440p tvs out there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think the core gamer audience is probably the group that own more 1440p devices than any other group out there, and that's not going to change anytime soon. The broader, casual gamer market doesn't care about 1440p, and almost certainly hasn't heard of it.

Still though, it's another sign that Sony are taking the core gamer audience a bit for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xbox reviews yesterday read just like the previews. Breaks down to this "I like it but there are no proper next gen games to play yet so maybe wait off until ones come out especially if you already own an xbox. Internal storage may be an issue on both systems and the swap games thing seems a bit buggy but will get patched.". The S seems to be a missed opportunity as 364GB space for a digital only next gen system is ludicrous. Yeah €300 is cheap but you'd be better off just buying the series X for €200 more or a digital PS5 for €100 more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Xbox reviews yesterday read just like the previews. Breaks down to this "I like it but there are no proper next gen games to play yet so maybe wait off until ones come out especially if you already own an xbox. Internal storage may be an issue on both systems and the swap games thing seems a bit buggy but will get patched.". The S seems to be a missed opportunity as 364GB space for a digital only next gen system is ludicrous. Yeah €300 is cheap but you'd be better off just buying the series X for €200 more or a PS5 for €100 more.

It still might be an effective trojan horse for Microsoft. Just like the original cheap XBox 360 which had no internal storage and relied on a tiny memory card for storage. Get that into people's hands with the cheap price and then make back the difference anyway with the overpriced storage.

Still the complete lack of anything new is a massive mark against it. Basically for me it's the first console to ever launch with what is effectively no launch line up. The PS5 is looking poor with a remake of a 2009 game, an expansion of a decent PS4 game with fancy puddles and astrobot.... which looks great but something to play is infinitely better than nothing. That's 3 games there that aren't that exciting but will be quality products (I have a feeling astrobot will be though). Anyone that buys them is going to get a lot of entertainment out of them and be happy with them and will tide them over until the systems start to take off. That's kind of all Sony need from this launch when they are up against a no show from Microsoft.

Still I kind of pine for the console launches when we got a game changer like Mario 64 or even BotW on the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Xbox reviews yesterday read just like the previews. Breaks down to this "I like it but there are no proper next gen games to play yet so maybe wait off until ones come out especially if you already own an xbox. Internal storage may be an issue on both systems and the swap games thing seems a bit buggy but will get patched.". The S seems to be a missed opportunity as 364GB space for a digital only next gen system is ludicrous. Yeah €300 is cheap but you'd be better off just buying the series X for €200 more or a digital PS5 for €100 more.

You can have your most played games on the internal drive and store the rest of your games on an external drive. Then when you're done with one game move it to the external and move the new game to the internal.

Should be able to move games very quickly between the drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's 1440p tvs out there.

Pretty sure there isn't. 1440p is not a format used by TV or movies. It's a PC resolution only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can have your most played games on the internal drive and store the rest of your games on an external drive. Then when you're done with one game move it to the external and move the new game to the internal.

Should be able to move games very quickly between the drives.

At the point where you need to buy an external drive to make the console usable, you may as well spend that money on a Series X instead and get all the other advantages that come with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It still might be an effective trojan horse for Microsoft. Just like the original cheap XBox 360 which had no internal storage and relied on a tiny memory card for storage. Get that into people's hands with the cheap price and then make back the difference anyway with the overpriced storage.

Personally, I think it's not a device that's on sale for "now", so to speak. I've no doubt that MS are looking to drive down the price of the S as fast as possible, leave the X at 500 for as long as possible.

I think that if they get the S to be 250 by this time next year, and 200 the year after that, then it's going to be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The PS5 is looking poor with a remake of a 2009 game, an expansion of a decent PS4 game with fancy puddles and astrobot.... which looks great but something to play is infinitely better than nothing. That's 3 games there that aren't that exciting but will be quality products (I have a feeling astrobot will be though). Anyone that buys them is going to get a lot of entertainment out of them and be happy with them and will tide them over until the systems start to take off. That's kind of all Sony need from this launch when they are up against a no show from Microsoft.

They also have Godfall, which is a console exclusive (i know it is also on epic store) right now. That one could go either way. There is also the Sackboy game. So 5 overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Xbox reviews yesterday read just like the previews. Breaks down to this "I like it but there are no proper next gen games to play yet so maybe wait off until ones come out

Wouldn't quite agree, it was more along the lines that it's a great piece of equipment with a great future ahead of it given what it can do now with current gen games, I didn't see much in the way of there being no point in picking one up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Seems completely bizarre for a console to launch with absolutely no exclusives available from day 1.

Pretty sure there isn't. 1440p is not a format used by TV or movies. It's a PC resolution only.

Yeah, seems I'm wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The lack of games only playable on the Series X for launch is disappointing. The PS5 doesn't fare much better though with only 2 games only for PS5(Demon's Souls and Godfall), 3 if you are generous and count Astrobot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yeah, seems I'm wrong there.

My 4K supports 1440p. Some TVs can support it as a non-native resolution.

wes wrote: »
    They also have Godfall, which is a console exclusive (i know it is also on epic store) right now. That one could go either way.

Godfall is so uninteresting looking I forgot it existed until I read this. And it's a timed exclusive which I doubt is changing anyone's mind about the console. It's hardly FF7R timed exclusivity. People actually care about that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course you need to be generous and count Astro Bot. It’s the sequel to the best 3D platformer of the last decade :)

Series X, from standby to Doom Eternal in under 10 seconds via quick resume.

https://twitter.com/PMaka1991/status/1324475975351128068?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    At the point where you need to buy an external drive to make the console usable, you may as well spend that money on a Series X instead and get all the other advantages that come with it.

Do you not have an external drive for your PS4 or Xbox One? Everyone I know has one hooked up because it's so handy to use it to store your games on.

On Xbox you can have your One library on the external and then just plug it in and play all your games straight away on the Series X. I'd imagine it's the same on the PS5 with PS4 games.

Of course you need to be generous and count Astro Bot. It’s the sequel to the best 3D platformer of the last decade :)

Indeed. Rescue Mission is great and I'm looking forward to it, still generous to put it in the same category as a full price retail game though.

• Advertisement

I actually genuinely think it will be great, it's more a question of how substantial it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indeed. Rescue Mission is great and I'm looking forward to it, still generous to put it in the same category as a full price retail game though.

TBH, even if it’s an hour or two long, I’m still substantially more interested in playing it than Godfall or any of Ubisoft’s bland open-world sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Seems completely bizarre for a console to launch with absolutely no exclusives available from day 1.

There aren't ever going to be exclusives for Xbox, that is the way they are going, pc and Xbox releases. From that perspective there will be Gears Tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Think I've read that Astro's Playroom is about 4/5 hours long

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

shrewdness wrote: »
    Think I've read that Astro's Playroom is about 4/5 hours long

The VR game is absolutely brilliant, genuine game of the year contender when it was released. I think a lot of those getting a PS5 are going to be pleasantly surprised by it, it should be a great pack in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

sure if we are adding Astrobot at launch then the Series X has Bright memory :pac::pac::pac:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/bright-memory/9n6v0zcg8xh3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

recyclops wrote: »
    sure if we are adding Astrobot at launch then the Series X has Bright memory :pac::pac::pac:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/bright-memory/9n6v0zcg8xh3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I've not seen art direction like that since Wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Probes wrote: »
    The VR game is absolutely brilliant, genuine game of the year contender when it was released. I think a lot of those getting a PS5 are going to be pleasantly surprised by it, it should be a great pack in.

Never played the VR game but heard many people raving about it. And the reviewers on this game have been similarly impressed with the one level they've been able to talk about so far. I expected it just to be a very short throwaway tech demo for the dualsense, but it definitely sounds like it's worth experiencing.

recyclops wrote: »

Played through it on Steam about four or five months ago. Now *that’s* a glorified tech demo (albeit a fun one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Played through it on Steam about four or five months ago. Now *that’s* a glorified tech demo (albeit a fun one).

yeah i picked it up as a launch day title, worth the 6 pound or whatever it cost, the odd thing is its appearing on my one x ( cant be played until the 10) but the MS site doesnt have it working on the one X

Advertisement