Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

recyclops wrote: »
    yeah i picked it up as a launch day title, worth the 6 pound or whatever it cost, the odd thing is its appearing on my one x ( cant be played until the 10) but the MS site doesnt have it working on the one X

It’s a decent experiment at getting a Devil May Cry style ‘stylish’ action into first person, but it’s pretty janky and extremely limited in terms of level design and the like. Not a patch on Ghostrunner, for example, but impressive enough for a one person effort (even if he did regrettably nick some assets: https://www.scmp.com/abacus/games/article/3029130/game-developer-behind-bright-memory-ep1-admits-he-used-stolen-assets).

At least the expanded version will be free to anyone who owns the original, whenever it shows up, so can hardly go wrong for the price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dispatch emails going out for Xbox now, starting to get really real now.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

CatInABox wrote: »

Hopefully they start to arrive early for people

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Where did you pre-order from if i may ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Gally79 wrote: »
    Where did you pre-order from if i may ask ?

Microsoft Store are dispatching today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eurogamer Astrobot review: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-06-astros-playroom-review-a-uniquely-tactile-platformer-thats-the-beating-heart-of-ps5
    One of the best launch titles I can remember in an age.

That'll do, ASOBI Team, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gmak2442

It's going to be PS5 for me now. But when I will get more money, I could get an Xbox too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That team has been putting out the best stuff Sony has released for years but no matter how good astrobot is it will still never erase the stain of the Legend of Dragoon from their resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Was Legend of Dragoon a stinker?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    ^ Was Legend of Dragoon a stinker?

In my opinion it was the most unoriginal vapid by the numbers and quite frankly boring JRPG of the PS1 era. Beyond the Beyond and Shadow Madness might challenge it there but they were bad games they tried, Legend of Dragoon basically jumped on the FFVII bandwagon, tried to copy it and came out with the videogame equivalent of a 'The Asylum' straight to SyFy channel rip off. It's pretty much the Ni No Kuni of it's generation except with an abhorrent soundtrack and visuals and the press at the time called it as the stinker it was.

On the other hand I very much doubt any of the staff involved in the game worked on ASOBI games and it was probably more folded in under their umbrella when the studio was formed as their next game, Ape Escape was pretty much the antithesis of the creatively bankrupt Legend of Dragoon.

It was rightfully thrashed at release but for some reason has a cult following. But if you want to know the mentality of LoD fans just look up the replies to the Gaming Intelligence agencies 1/5 review of the game. It's an entertaining read.

tl;dr it sucks!

• Advertisement

Looking to be a solid if unsurprising PS5 launch. Don't think anyone picking one up will be disappointed and certainly not bored. Much better than launch than the PS4 which only really had Resogun that was worth playing (don't even pretend Killzone Shadowfall was great).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Digital Foundry videos are coming out again today, Miles Morales being the best showcase for RT so far, and the BC being a near locked 60 in everything.

One of the funny things is that because it's using the PS4 pro versions, it means that the frame rate is actually usually higher on PS5 than on Series X, as it's rendering a lower resolution. Even on One X I would have preferred games offer a lower res rather than lock to 4K, and this is one of those side effects carried over.

Funnily enough, load times seem to be better on Series X.

Digital Foundry videos are coming out again today, Miles Morales being the best showcase for RT so far, and the BC being a near locked 60 in everything.

One of the funny things is that because it's using the PS4 pro versions, it means that the frame rate is actually usually higher on PS5 than on Series X, as it's rendering a lower resolution. Even on One X I would have preferred games offer a lower res rather than lock to 4K, and this is one of those side effects carried over.

Funnily enough, load times seem to be better on Series X.

That surprised me a lot. Just goes to show the work MS put into BC means that it’s more optimised for speed on an SSD that’s twice as slow as PS5.

PS5 doesn't have a Sony version of Quick Resume, I kinda thought that they would.

PS5 also doesn't let you save PS5 games to an external hard drive? This doesn't sound right to me, I'd assume that this'll get fixed before release, or soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PS5 doesn't have a Sony version of Quick Resume, I kinda thought that they would.

I don't think that's right. I'm nearly sure they showed off a Quick Resume feature at one of the events recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't think that's right. I'm nearly sure they showed off a Quick Resume feature at one of the events recently?

I guess it's swapping between games that the PS5 doesn't have. PS4 even has a quick resume feature, probably the same as PS5's.

Quick Resume is what MS are calling their feature where multiple games can be suspended and resumed. You don't have to quit out of one and boot the other, you just flick between them in a few seconds. It is strange that PS5 doesn't have it.

Storing (archiving) PS5 games on HDD is missing also. It seems like it's coming in pretty hot, many features just not ready yet. It ties in with how late they were to show working units. I am sure it will get these features eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I am confused, with regards to the PS5's storage.

Comes with 1TB [825MB] SSD... is that in the Nvme slot, or is that slot an extension?

Plan on going with the Digital PS5 and putting in a 2TB WD Black SN850 NVMe into it. Did similarly with the PS4 Pro replacing its 1TB HDD with a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD --- more space!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I am confused, with regards to the PS5's storage.

Comes with 1TB [825MB] SSD... is that in the Nvme slot, or is that slot an extension?

Plan on going with the Digital PS4 and putting in a 2TB WD Black SN850 NVMe into it.

The PS5 has an 800ish GB NVME SSD and it's 600something available space. It's already in an M2 slot.

There's a second slot you can install your own NVME in. I don't think that SN850 is fast enough though so don't buy it until you see the Sony approved list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The PS5 has an 800ish GB NVME SSD and it's 600something available space. It's already in an M2 slot.

There's a second slot you can install your own NVME in. I don't think that SN850 is fast enough though so don't buy it until you see the Sony approved list.

The PS5 SSD is soldered directly onto the motherboard. The Xbox seems to be using one of those small nvme drives used in the Surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So seeing how these consoles run previous gen games, is there any game you would've preferred to have waited to play but that you now couldn't be bothered going back to?
    I think Jedi Fallen Order, for one. Maybe God of War as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So seeing how these consoles run previous gen games, is there any game you would've preferred to have waited to play but that you now couldn't be bothered going back to?

I only played a few hours of ghost of Tsushima, couldn't get into it at the time but will definitely go back for the boosted version. I never played Sekiro and looking forward to that as well. Some nice boosted games in the ps plus collection and really looking forward to another playthrough of Days Gone.

Will also be continuing my fallout 76 save and hoping for some nice quick load times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Looks like great reviews for all new consoles. Think anybody who missed the previous generation is in for a treat with those games loading faster and playing smoother and also much much cheaper now.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Just play dark souls or bloodborne instead of fallen order. Fallen order is basically souls but ****e.

As for games I'd prefer to play on the new consoles, definitely hoping for a last guardian patch to make it run at a playable framerate. As it stands the performance is so bad on ps4 that it's unplayable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wonder if Sony are stress testing the PS5 in real life conditions before enabling NVME expansion support.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I wonder if Sony are stress testing the PS5 in real life conditions before enabling NVME expansion support.

I’d imagine they are and that’s how they’ll determine their whitelist.

Once they have a few on the list they’ll open up the expansion slot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seriously tempted in a Series S as a compliment to my gaming PC in my living room. It'll be a casual device so can't really justify paying 500 for the X/PS5.

Yeah, I'm just going by stuff like this in various reviews:
    The one area where we’d have liked to see more out of this new storage system is in switching between games. Every such switch on the PS5 means closing the current game and loading up the new one from the main menu. That would be totally expected and fine... if we hadn’t been spoiled by the Xbox Series S/X's ability to "Quick Resume" almost instantly between arbitrary virtual memory save states in multiple games. In contrast, even waiting a few seconds to go through menus and get back to load an in-game save starts to feel slow on the PS5.

Maybe they're a little worried about taking more of the SSD space to support something like quick resume, something that MS must be ok with if they're supporting it on the S with it's smaller drive.

Maybe it's because it's more a remaster but I'm really not impressed with the visual jump this generation brings. Ray tracing is neat but ssr last gen was pretty much good enough. Maybe I'll need to see some proper next gen games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Advertisement