Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

ill be buying both eventually , especially XBOX as MS has aquired Skyrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Stolen from tw@tter:

Despite what some reports say, loading times on Xbox Series X are not faster than PS5. Our biggest launch exclusive only takes 15 seconds to load, whereas Xbox's biggest launch exclusive won't load for months.

SharpCoder wrote: »
    youtube video
    Series X is loading most legacy games faster than PS5, which is kinda unexpected given the on-paper speed of their SSDs. In some cases the difference is 20 or 30 seconds.

That's pretty interesting. I doubt it will carry over into next-gen games but it's an unexpected advantage all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Digital Foundry breakdown of Miles Morales ... game looks wonderful on PS5 ... real time ray tracing ... the stuff we take for granted :) good times ! It's a real pity the XBos doesn't have a launch game to show itself off with ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I’ve ordered both as in the grand scheme of things they’re both very cheap considering how long they’ll last compared to say a new phone, or a PC that’s similarly capable would cost thousands and not work as smoothly.

That said, with my Series X dispatched, it’s hard to muster up much excitement about a console that’s basically going to continue playing the same games I’m already playing currently with a few improvements that I’ll probably barely notice for the most part.

Really excited about the PS5 the following week on the other hand, with some exciting new games to go with it and new ways of playing with the new controller, can’t wait to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah beyond a tech demo xbox has zilch, in the long run it won't matter if the acquisitions bear fruit but that's a fair ways off.

Will enter ps5 when the games I want are cheaper or a mate picks one up for gameshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    I’ve ordered both as in the grand scheme of things they’re both very cheap considering how long they’ll last compared to say a new phone, or a PC that’s similarly capable would cost thousands and not work as smoothly.

That said, with my Series X dispatched, it’s hard to muster up much excitement about a console that’s basically going to continue playing the same games I’m already playing currently with a few improvements that I’ll probably barely notice for the most part.

Really excited about the PS5 the following week on the other hand, with some exciting new games to go with it and new ways of playing with the new controller, can’t wait to try it.

Astros is the only new game available only on the PS5. Denon Souls is a remaster and Miles Morales is available on PS4.

It's the same as every new generation. Very little to play off the bat but should improve in 12 to 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why have xbox released a console with no games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

RasTa wrote: »

They spent years neglecting the Xbox ecosystem, relying on third parties to sell the console. New management has turned that around, with Xbox now a major part of MS, but the effects of that turn around will still take years to come to fruition.

They'd also relied heavily on Halo: Infinite, but that was delayed pretty much at the last minute. Personally, I prefer when companies delay games to get them right, but I can totally understand why some are frustrated or let down.

As it is, I'm excited for the Series X because it's going to be a better place to play the games I was going to be playing anyway. It's pretty rare that I pay full price for a game, I usually wait until they're on a deep sale. I might actually buy a full price game though, I'll wait on the reviews for Ass Creed or Cyberpunk to see.

Also, I know that it's hysterically hypocritical that I won't pay full price for a game, but will for a much more expensive console. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

When it comes down to it most launch windows have little games and you will not see much for at least a year after launch no matter the console.

We will also have the remastered stage tpo contend with too, like GTA, Warframe, Fortnite and Mass effect.

Sure, people are mentioning Astro bots and Myles Morales, but one comes free with the PS5 and the other is more of a DLC than a full game, with bug snax also coming free with plus. And others saying xbox series x has no launch titles when it does have a few like Enlisted , Evergate or The Falconeer, etc. I find people think a game doesn't exist if they don't like it.

There are several things i like about both consoles, and i will likely get both with series x this year and ps5 in the new year at some stage.

• Advertisement

Only looked up evergate now that looks brilliant. Nabbing that on Tuesday.

Can't find any on the ms store. So for now it's bright memory as my launch title.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well something clearly went wrong with their big launch title Halo Infinite and they had nothing else ready as while they bought studios those seeds will take a year or two more to grow. They messed around with Halo the last few years since 343 took over essentially so can't afford another mess of a launch with Infinite like the Master Chief Collection was. Their one showcase was a total mess too. Stuff like Gears and Forza its probably too close to their previous games to have a new mainline one ready on time. Plus those games have been well milked the last few years. Gears has already had 7 games now(8 if you include a remake of the original) and Forza is up to 10 titles already. They shut down Lionhead a few years ago and put the Fable series on ice until recently when they realised oh people liked the games if they aren't terrible like The Journey was and Fable Journeys was going to be.

Sony already released Dreams, Final Fantasy VII, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 on PS4 earlier this year but still left over the Demon Souls remake, Astrobot as a built in game and Miles Morales for this winter. They are giving Bugsnax and Destruction All Stars in the first 3 months of the consoles launch on PS+ and access to other first party PS4 games on PS5 there too. They also seem to have plenty coming out in the next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kudos to Microsoft then, lost another console battle before it even started. Without a doubt the worst launch of a console in gaming history.

Knocking the Saturn off the long held top spot. Although you can argue it's a tie with the Xbox One

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kudos to Microsoft then, lost another console battle before it even started. Without a doubt the worst launch of a console in gaming history.

Knocking the Saturn off the long held top spot. Although you can argue it's a tie with the Xbox One

No console launch will ever be as bad as the Saturn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No console launch will ever be as bad as the Saturn.

Virtua fighter was a decent pack in. Panzer dragoon was a fun of short game that showed off what the system was capable of and while daytona was disappointing compared to ridge racer it is still a very playable conversion of a classic.

PS3 well beats it for awfulness with a serious of games that played awful compared to 360 and resistance fall of man which is garbage (I actually went back to it at the weekend and it's as bad as I remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1325513418242215938?s=19

Game Pass going to include Disney Plus?

Edit: wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

A lot of people seem to be writing off Astrobot just because it’s free. Reviews I’ve read are comparing it to Mario as a platform game and to Wii Sports as a dominant launch title. If those reviews are true, alongside an absolute blockbuster like Miles Morales and something of the quality of Demons Souls it’s looking to be one of the stronger launch line ups any console has had, in quality if not quantity. Still no reviews that I’ve seen for Sackboy, which I’ve high hopes for, or Godfall, which looks rubbish. There’s also smaller games like Bugsnax and The Pathless rounding it out, with Ratchet & Clank and Destruction Allstars expected within the first few months.

That’s alongside the multi platform stuff like Assassins Creed, DIRT etc that will also be on Xbox. Think it’s a bit of a wild exaggeration to say there’ll be nothing worth playing for the first 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Its a very poor launch but i dont really care, im already sold on gamepass. Rather than a console battle I see it as buy one console in the next 6 months and buy the other one in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They'll surely still sell a healthy number of systems though as so many are bored at home wanting something to do. They are adding EA Access to gamepass on launch too, pity EA have taken a vow to release mainly poor games the last few years but its got Titanfall 2 in there. Maybe Disney plus now too going by that above tweet which while not games is something I guess. Maybe Sony might add Crunchyroll to PS+ now if they do buyout them.

In terms of my own Day 1 console adopter buys, the 3DS lineup was a grim one, I rarely go early on systems but did with that, Street Fighter IV & PES 2011, oh dear. :rolleyes: I never even got the Ambassador games out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Virtua fighter was a decent pack in. Panzer dragoon was a fun of short game that showed off what the system was capable of and while daytona was disappointing compared to ridge racer it is still a very playable conversion of a classic.

PS3 well beats it for awfulness with a serious of games that played awful compared to 360 and resistance fall of man which is garbage (I actually went back to it at the weekend and it's as bad as I remember)

I loved the Saturn, but that mess with bringing the launch forward killed it outside Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved the Saturn, but that mess with bringing the launch forward killed it outside Japan.

I hear that mentioned a lot but honestly don't think it was that big a contribution.

I mean at the time I was a massive Sega fanboy and wanted a saturn. And three biggest things that actually changed my mind was:

1. It was a far better machine and Ridge Racer was so far ahead of anything the PS1 could do.

2. Price. Better machine at a lower price.... why would you choose a saturn.

3. Low licensing fee. Meant that all the interesting games came to PS1. I still kind of wanted a Saturn but 1996 after launch was incredible for PS1 due to everyone being on board.

Really the launch wasn't that big a factor. I do however remember being on holidays in Mayo, walking into a toymaster and seeing virtua fighter running and asking the owners why were they selling the saturn months before it was supposed to launch.

There's waaaaaay worse launches than the saturn. For instance the XBox series x :pac: The Dreamcast was terrible in Japan (and then had probably the best launch line up ever in US and Europe). PS2 was bad as well and saved by the surprise hit of SSX. PS1 was also terrible in Japan but had Ridge Racer as a killer app.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/11/here_are_some_xbox_series_xs_issues_you_might_run_into_on_launch_day?fbclid=IwAR2p7BPBEymSeuIkEU8V6kLxbMJfIQiz8uc3rqnH90hUDRCDYUgO8vI-z5o

4K/120hz
    Known Issue: If you are using a 4K@120Hz TV that also supports VRR you might encounter no signal or corrupted image when the Xbox is configured for 4K120+VRR. This issue occurs with various TVs from LG, Samsung, or Vizio.
    Workaround:
    Update to the latest firmware on your TV
    If using an LG TV - https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers
    If using a Samsung TV - https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/
    If using a Vizio TV - https://support.vizio.com/s/firmware-search

If the issue still persists, also consider trying the following:
    Configure the console for 4K/60 with VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate.
    Configure the console for 4k/120 with no VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under “Display” in TV & Display options.
    If you wish to experience 120hz and VRR, please configure for 1080p/120hz VRR or 1440p/120hz VRR by Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> check the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under “Display” in TV & Display options.

If you are experiencing a corrupted image, here are your workarounds to reverting back to a safe video mode:
    Restart your console and configure your video modes to one of the listed options above.
    If you're still experiencing a corrupted image after restart, disable VRR on the TV. Please consult your TV manufactures on how to do this.
    If the issue still persist after steps 1 and 2, perform the video mode reset sequence to get back to a safe state and configure for one of the two options above. To do this, follow the steps on this page here under “Your screen is blank after you turn on the console > Reset your display settings”.
    EA Play app
    Known Issue: The EA Play app will not launch or install on an Xbox Series X|S device.
    Workaround: There is no workaround at this time but we are working with our app partners to find potential resolutions for the future. At this time, the app will only work on an Xbox One generation device.

If you are looking for ways to claim your 10-Hour trials for popular games like FIFA 21 or Madden 21 on an Xbox Series X|S device, you can find them in the Store. To do this, go to Store and Search for your game. Select the game desired from the search results and click on the “Free Trial with EA Play” button on the game description page.

If you are looking to play full games included with your EA Play subscription, you can access them in My Games & Apps > Full Library > EA Play.
    Game Captures
    Known Issue: Some users will see HDR captures appearing too dark when captured on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S.
    Workaround: There is no known workaround but a fix will be coming soon in a future console update.
    BBC iPlayer app
    Known Issue: The BBC iPlayer app will not launch or install on an Xbox Series X|S device.
    Workaround: There is no workaround at this time but we are working with our app partners to resolve this. At this time, the BBC iPlayer app will only work on an Xbox One generation device.

Q: Why isn’t the BBC app available on Xbox Series X|S?
    A: Many of your favorite streaming apps like Netflix, Disney+, Spotify, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Twitch, Sky, Now TV and more, are on the Store waiting for you when you boot your new Xbox console. There are a small number of apps that are not yet available - like BBC iPlayer – but we are working with partners to add these as soon as possible.
    DVD & Blu-ray playback
    Known Issue: Some users may insert a DVD or Blu-ray into their console and encounter a black screen.
    Workaround: If you are experiencing this, simply remove the disc from the console, restart the console, and then re-insert the disc into the console to watch your disc.
    PeacockTV app
    Known Issue: Some users will experience occasional pixelated frames while using the PeacockTV app on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S.
    Workaround: There is no known workaround at this time but the proper teams are working on a fix to be included in a future update.
    Quick Resume
    While Quick Resume is fully operational with thousands of titles, we are aware a select number of Optimized titles may be experiencing issues with this feature. To ensure the best possible experience for our fans, we’ve disabled the feature for these titles and are working as quickly as possible to fix this at the platform level.

Setting up the new xbox is fairly seemless very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

To folks getting xbox today/tomorrow, hope ye enjoy next gen and look forward to yer thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep. I'll be picking up a PS5 but to those getting the Xbox, hope all goes smoothly and you enjoy it.

What kind of twilight zone **** is this?

I should be in work getting pissed off at you all fighting over polygons per second counts and teraflops reporting each others posts and you are hear being nice to each other?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What kind of twilight zone **** is this?

I should be in work getting pissed off at you all fighting over polygons per second counts and teraflops reporting each others posts and you are hear being nice to each other?

Would it help if I told you that not only is Final Fantasy 7 the greatest game of all time, the remake is the 2nd best game of all time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cheers everyone, got it there recently, despite MS putting their own Postcode into the eircode. *facepalm*

As mentioned above, set up is seamless, my hard drive just works with it, which is nice. Straight away I could see the power of the updated internals in the most mundane way possible: I'm getting sustained download speeds of 350 Mbps, way above the 50 I usually get. Highwst I've ever seen it was 120 on my One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Would it help if I told you that not only is Final Fantasy 7 the greatest game of all time, the remake is the 2nd best game of all time?

You forgot to mention how much Ace Combat 7 sucks.

Am I doing this right?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You forgot to mention how much Ace Combat 7 sucks.

Am I doing this right?

Ah Jaysus man, that's going too far :pac:

Advertisement