Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Phew, I was worried there for a minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Days Gone > Ace Combat 7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Days Gone > Ace Combat 7

That's how you do going too far properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    To folks getting xbox today/tomorrow, hope ye enjoy next gen and look forward to yer thoughts on it.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yep. I'll be picking up a PS5 but to those getting the Xbox, hope all goes smoothly and you enjoy it.

Simps.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's how you do going too far properly.

Is it cuz I'm right?

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is it cuz I'm right?

You can't be right when Ace Combat has Daredevil on the soundtrack :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For anyone getting a series X or a PS5 and have a 2019 4k Samsung TV, i've been in touch with Samsung support about HDMI 2.1 support coming down the line and this is what i got:
    Thank you. Going back to your query, in regard to HDMI 2.1 update. Samsung is working hard to release the eARC update for applicable 2019 TV models. Unforeseen technical difficulties are currently delaying this release but once overcome we will release the update as soon as possible”

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

just to think we all were up all night last gen using argos checker to get our hands on a console.

gamestop decided to mail me two days ago and say my console is coming, just not on november 10th then told me they dont know when.

fun times

Anyone know when Argos stock will go live?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Anyone know when Argos stock will go live?

8am apparently, but considering the tomfoolery(including MS) we've had with every other retailer going, I wouldn't be surprised to see it far earlier, or far later for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Some launch titles to look out for on Xbox

Bright Memory [1.0]

Evergate

Enlisted [Game Preview]

The Falconeer

Planet Coaster

Observer: System Redux

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Falconeer looks really cool actually, might be my cup of tea. I've always liked that genre of game, and the art style is amazing

CatInABox wrote: »
    8am apparently, but considering the tomfoolery(including MS) we've had with every other retailer going, I wouldn't be surprised to see it far earlier, or far later for that matter.

They went up at 4, so yeah, tomfoolery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

played bright memory for a while last night, its a glorified tech demo but for the price and how long it is its priced perfectly at around 6 pound haha I imagine i will pick up evergate as it looks right up my street.

posted my early experiences on the Xbox thread itself but sure il throw it below

Love the controller, the familiarity of it with the slight tweaks to improve something that was already quite good, haven't used the share button and honestly probably never will.

The familiarity really brings me onto my next point. Tonight's gaming session was no different to last night, so much so my wife had no idea I actually got the new console set up until I said it to her. The dash is very very quick and I moved a few games onto the ssd to test quick resume, but then I had games quick resuming that I have not yet moved onto the ssd so bouncing between crash (ssd) spiritfarer (ssd) AC odyssey (external) and cup head (external)

The console feels premium and I am sure it's just goin to get much much better, plus turning on your console and having a library of 250+ games to play on it from the get go is kind of weird fair few games getting patch and had quick look at Ori and it looks more stunning than it did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

recyclops wrote: »
    played bright memory for a while last night, its a glorified tech demo but for the price and how long it is its priced perfectly at around 6 pound haha I imagine i will pick up evergate as it looks right up my street.

posted my early experiences on the Xbox thread itself but sure il throw it below

Love the controller, the familiarity of it with the slight tweaks to improve something that was already quite good, haven't used the share button and honestly probably never will.

The familiarity really brings me onto my next point. Tonight's gaming session was no different to last night, so much so my wife had no idea I actually got the new console set up until I said it to her. The dash is very very quick and I moved a few games onto the ssd to test quick resume, but then I had games quick resuming that I have not yet moved onto the ssd so bouncing between crash (ssd) spiritfarer (ssd) AC odyssey (external) and cup head (external)

The console feels premium and I am sure it's just goin to get much much better, plus turning on your console and having a library of 250+ games to play on it from the get go is kind of weird fair few games getting patch and had quick look at Ori and it looks more stunning than it did before.

My experience was similar, playing Watchdogs on XBSX last night was really no different at all to playing it on XBOX the night before. Slightly shinier graphics, but not to the extent that my girlfriend noticed anything was different while sitting watching. UI and everything else was identical, and the only new feature, suspend resume, didn't actually work on any game I tried. Apparently Microsoft have now clarified that it works on most games, but not Xbox Series Enhanced ones, which are surely the only games you'd want to play?

The faster load times are great though, especially noticed when switching cars in Forza Horizon which is no longer a chore, and the controller does feel really nice to hold too, it's the same dimensions but with better materials and texture.

And I stayed up till midnight and started playing Yakuza 7 which is brilliant (even if it doesn't look like a noticeable generational upgrade over Judgment on PS4) so who cares about the rest of the console's features.

Xbox Series S really is a thing of beauty. Nippy little bugger too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a reservation from Argos secured from this morning for an Xbox, though I'm getting second thoughts whether to get one or not now. I primarily game on my PC, trying to figure out if I will use it or appreciate it, or if it will gather dust under my TV...

I have a reservation from Argos secured from this morning for an Xbox, though I'm getting second thoughts whether to get one or not now. I primarily game on my PC, trying to figure out if I will use it or appreciate it, or if it will gather dust under my TV...
    You can stream to your pc if thats where you primarily game or why not keep it up by your pc? What's your PC setup? This is likely to be more powerful.

Series S + 1440p monitor is a sweet setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You can stream to your pc if thats where you primarily game or why not keep it up by your pc? What's your PC setup? This is likely to be more powerful.

Series S + 1440p monitor is a sweet setup.

I read the S can only hit 1080p?

If not, I'm very tempted to get the S with a 1440p monitor in a year or 2 when it hits a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why am I reading batteries included with a console in 2020?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I read the S can only hit 1080p?
    No, 1440p and can even upscale that to 4k. Depends on the game obviously and whats been implemented by the developers.

RasTa wrote: »
    Why am I reading batteries included with a console in 2020?

So you can swap them out when they lose charge instead of having to buy a new controller.

So you can swap them out when they lose charge instead of having to buy a new controller.

I have never bought a new controller due to that issue in my life. Wtf is going on at Microsoft. Batteries!

I have never bought a new controller due to that issue in my life. Wtf is going on at Microsoft. Batteries!
    Many people have and its widely accepted as a good feature to give the user the option to use whatever batteries they want.

Many people have and its widely accepted as a good feature to give the user the option to use whatever batteries they want.

I'd prefer no batteries. The only place batteries belong in 2020 is in a remote control or a gameboy.

I can't think of any other device that needs them.

Yeah the PS4 controllers came with dodgy battery life as a feature straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I can't think of any other device that needs them.

There's literally batteries in everything. Just because they're not removable doesn't mean they don't run on batteries.

What do you think the PS5 controller will run on? Pixie dust, unicorn tears?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the PS4 controllers came with dodgy battery life as a feature straight out of the box.

New Dualsense isn't supposed to be much better, especially when the haptic feedback is really used a lot in a game.

But I'd still take that over actual batteries. I disagree that it gives players choice because you have to buy the rechargeable battery packs separately.

• Advertisement

Fine for me, also had a strange device that you could just charge it back up for free.

Advertisement