Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's literally batteries in everything. Just because they're not removable doesn't mean they don't run on batteries.

What do you think the PS5 controller will run on? Pixie dust, unicorn tears?

Well that's obvious. Which devices require me to buy new ones each time they run out? My laptop, phone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    New Dualsense isn't supposed to be much better, especially when the haptic feedback is really used a lot in a game.

But I'd still take that over actual batteries. I disagree that it gives players choice because you have to buy the rechargeable battery packs separately.

Switch controllers are pretty shocking as well. The XBox One controller I have on the other hand last for ages. And you can buy rechargeable batteries pretty cheaply.

I'd rather that than have to throw out an expensive controller and buy a new one when a non-replaceable battery dies. Although why they can't have the lithium ion battery replaceable is another disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »
    Well that's obvious. Which devices require me to buy new ones each time they run out? My laptop, phone?

Well I've had to replace a battery in my Laptop and iPhone. I'm sure plenty of people have.

You can buy rechargable batteries and use them in your controller, your remote, your smoke alarms, you flash light.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I use the play and charge kit for the Xbox controllers and it is well worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fine for me, also had a strange device that you could just charge it back up for free.

It defeats the purpose of being wireless when it spent 60% of the time on a cord being charged because it had awful charge retention on top of crappy battery life.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Well I've had to replace a battery in my Laptop and iPhone. I'm sure plenty of people have.

Not me, Although that's your own fault for buying an iPhone. Actually I did replace a laptop but that was years ago, not 2020.

Never mind the environmental waste with all these AA's batteries ending up in landfills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd prefer no batteries. The only place batteries belong in 2020 is in a remote control or a gameboy.

I can't think of any other device that needs them.

Dead right. I am however terrified of dropping my phone though in case it sets off a nuclear chain reaction in the tiny reactor. It's one thing we didn't have to worry about in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I have never bought a new controller due to that issue in my life. Wtf is going on at Microsoft. Batteries!

I see we are so short on things to talk about that we're back to this old chestnut.

I see we are so short on things to talk about that we're back to this old chestnut.

It's a next gen console. I just presumed they had finally switched to a built in battery pack. When would be an acceptable time to ditch the need for batteries?

I still hate batteries from when I got a remote control car as a kid that needed 8 D batteries to run and would last 15mins before needing to go out and buy more.

There's these things called rechargeable batteries now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just make the Switch Pro controller universally compatible. Actual monster battery in that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's a next gen console. I just presumed they had finally switched to a built in battery pack. When would be an acceptable time to ditch the need for batteries?

I still hate batteries from when I got a remote control car as a kid that needed 8 D batteries to run and would last 15mins before needing to go out and buy more.

Well, if you have an issue with batteries that run out quickly, I've bad news for you with regards to playstation controllers. The ps4 ones were so bad, they may as well have been wired, and while the new ones seem to be somewhat improved, it's disappointing that it still seems to be an issue. There's so many alternatives in terms or charge kits and rechargeable batteries, than in fairness, any arguement about it is really only being obtuse for the sake of it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I know, most companies include them built into their products. Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Samsung etc. No reason MS can't include their £20 pack with the console.
    Well, if you have an issue with batteries that run out quickly, I've bad news for you with regards to playstation controllers. The ps4 ones were so bad, they may as well have been wired, and while the new ones seem to be somewhat improved, it's disappointing that it still seems to be an issue. There's so many alternatives in terms or charge kits and rechargeable batteries, than in fairness, any arguement about it is really only being obtuse for the sake of it.

My PS4 was fine, no issue with each The Last Guardian session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Part of me thinks MS are sticking with batteries so their elite controller has yet another standout feature against the basic model. Either way it’s a slight annoyance for Xbox and PlayStation(I’ve had no issues with my PS4 controller)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I read the S can only hit 1080p?

If not, I'm very tempted to get the S with a 1440p monitor in a year or 2 when it hits a sale.

The series S can do 4K if the game is not really demanding but the goal is 2k. I think the Tourist runs at 4k on the S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

When would be an acceptable time to ditch the need for batteries?

I imagine its when the consumer base demands they change it, which they dont and probably wont as majority seem happy with rechargeables and the controller to be wireless all the time, if they want to have it wired with no batteries you can do, if you want to buy a play and charge you can do.

The real question should be in 2020 if a company forces batteries built in that need to be charged regularly and when gaming why do they insist on giving short charging cables :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I find it totally bizarre that so many people are defending such a backwards decision as requiring you to keep buying AA batteries. It's obvious why they did it of course, so they can upsell you the charging kit to make the controller as functional as the ones that come as standard with every other system for the last couple of decades or so.

I've never in my life heard of anyone throwing away a controller because it had a built in battery. That's some insane mental gymnastics to justify Microsoft's anti-consumer behaviour on this one.

I'd actually rather have control over what battery I can use without a built in one that the hardware manufacturer obviously cheaped out on. From the 3ds, vita to the ps4 controllers and awitch, they are a complete disaster for battery life which could be fixed with third party solutions.

Nevermind I finally found a pad that doesn't take batteries

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

+

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/accessories/hard-drives/seagate-1tb-expansion-card

as 512g isn't enough for games these days.

So basically what Microsoft are saying with this console is buy a PC.

Well I could argue that the ps5 doesn't even allow you use external storage but I won't because arguing with fanboys over minutiae is a fruitless endeavor.

• Advertisement

Nevermind I finally found a pad that doesn't take batteries

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

+

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/accessories/hard-drives/seagate-1tb-expansion-card

as 512g isn't enough for games these days.

So basically what Microsoft are saying with this console is buy a PC.

once again there two products that allow the consumer the choice, MS hasnt said anyone has to use that storage ( they actually have said if just for storage continue to do as you have been and store games where you want but would prefer you play next gen games on the built in SSD)

if for some reason you like the thought of a built in battery you buy an elite, if you couldnt care less ( majority of people) you just get the controller and decide if you want to 1. Keep buying batteries 2. plug it in wired. 3 buy rechargeables or 4 buy a play and charge kit.

why all the love for a built in battery what is the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Microsoft said they did a poll and most people wanted batteries and why they kept with it.

But you can just get a battery pack that acts just like a built in lithium battery pack quite easily.

I personally use these https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/venom-xbox-one-twin-rechargeable-battery-packs-black-21888526-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Well I could argue that the ps5 doesn't even allow you use external storage but I won't because arguing with fanboys over minutiae is a fruitless endeavor.

You could argue that but you'd be wrong :confused:

It's got a slot to take a standard M.2 SSD drive, which is far preferable to a proprietary slot. Still awaiting confirmation on which drives support it but it's expected that a range of devices will be supported.

Unless you're talking about external USB hard drives, which would be unrelated to the post you were replying to about the SSD upgrades, in which case you're still wrong as it does support them, but only for PS4 games since PS5 games are designed to run on an SSD only.

It's a shame to see someone who's a mod get so worked up and hostile, attacking people using false information and calling them fanboys just for having an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

quokula wrote: »
    I find it totally bizarre that so many people are defending such a backwards decision as requiring you to keep buying AA batteries.

Nope, the PS5 is also the ugliest thing ever released. Disgraceful comments from a mod :P
    recyclops wrote: »
    once again there two products that allow the consumer the choice, MS hasnt said anyone has to use that storage ( they actually have said if just for storage continue to do as you have been and store games where you want but would prefer you play next gen games on the built in SSD)

if for some reason you like the thought of a built in battery you buy an elite, if you couldnt care less ( majority of people) you just get the controller and decide if you want to 1. Keep buying batteries 2. plug it in wired. 3 buy rechargeables or 4 buy a play and charge kit.

why all the love for a built in battery what is the benefit?

It's £160 quid or something mental. Why isn't it included in the main control pad. Why even have two official control pads in the first place?

I thought Apple where number #1 for milking their customers but step up Microsoft.

quokula wrote: »
    You could argue that but you'd be wrong :confused:

It's got a slot to take a standard M.2 SSD drive, which is far preferable to a proprietary slot. Still awaiting confirmation on which drives support it but it's expected that a range of devices will be supported.

Unless you're talking about external USB hard drives, which would be unrelated to the post you were replying to about the SSD upgrades, in which case you're still wrong as it does support them, but only for PS4 games since PS5 games are designed to run on an SSD only.

It's a shame to see someone who's a mod get so worked up and hostile, attacking people using false information and calling them fanboys just for having an opinion.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-external-storage-ssd-hdd-cant-install-play

But my point is just like all the comments about batteries and the like, who cares. It doesn't matter.

NoIt's £160 quid or something mental. Why isn't it included in the main control pad. Why even have two official control pads in the first place?

I think the elite is just for people who game competitively and want to add tonnes of custom stuff to there controller ( I don't see the point myself)

regardless of the elite which microsoft don't push on anyone but allow consumers the choice to buy, the initial point was made regarding the controller that comes with the console and how in 2020 its outrageous MS allow people multiple options, I'm wondering what is the benefit of a built in battery?

recyclops wrote: »
    i think the elite is just for people who game competitively and want to add tonnes of custom stuff to there controller ( I dont see the point myself)

regardless of the elite which microsoft dont push on anyone but allow consumers the choice to buy, the initial point was made regarding the controller that comes with the console and how in 2020 its outrageous MS allow people multiple options, Im wondering what is the benefit of a built in battery?

Charging when it runs out like every other device I own. My phone and laptop are charged daily. Not an issue so why is it an issue for a console?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Charging when it runs out like every other device I own. My phone and laptop are charged daily. Not an issue so why is it an issue for a console?

then why not just get a €12 pair of battery packs that can "be charged when it runs out like any other device"

• Advertisement

SharpCoder wrote: »
    then why not just get a €12 pair of battery packs that can "be charged when it runs out like any other device"

That's my whole point, what other device needs me to buy it?

Advertisement