Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

RasTa wrote: »
    That's my whole point, what other device needs me to buy it?

tv remote needs batteries
    clocks need batteries
    wireless mice need batteries

why aren't all of them using lithium batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Charging when it runs out like every other device I own. My phone and laptop are charged daily. Not an issue so why is it an issue for a console?

yeah that is handy similar to what i do with rechargeable batteries on my xbox controllers, what do you do when the battery has an issue though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

using a phone when it is being charged is a pain, to an extent so is a laptop. A lot of people with these will only occasionally game and will want to be able to pick up a controller, put in a new set of batteries and be done with it and not be frustrated by having to have the controller plugged in when they game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You can stream to your pc if thats where you primarily game or why not keep it up by your pc? What's your PC setup? This is likely to be more powerful.

Series S + 1440p monitor is a sweet setup.

Its definitely more powerful. It's a 5700xt, 3700x and I hvae a 144hz 1440p monitor. It was to compliment my PC as a casual system downstairs in my sitting room (where my switch is and is rarely touched these days...), so I dont know how much I'll actually use it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its definitely more powerful. It's a 5700xt, 3700x and I hvae a 144hz 1440p monitor. It was to compliment my PC as a casual system downstairs in my sitting room (where my switch is and is rarely touched these days...), so I dont know how much I'll actually use it.

Probably better off with the PS5 then with everything xbox coming to PC.

Unless you really want to play Ninja Gaiden Black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Probably better off with the PS5 then with everything xbox coming to PC.

Unless you really want to play Ninja Gaiden Black.

xbox and gamepass for pc with EA play included in December would be a good choice also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

SharpCoder wrote: »
    tv remote needs batteries
    clocks need batteries
    wireless mice need batteries

why aren't all of them using lithium batteries?

That's the standard I hold Microsoft too. TV remote controls and clocks. Both of which you get about 2 years out of 2 AA batteries

Let's have a look at some other devices that need AA batteries to run

IS717533-01-01-BIG.jpg

Walkman.jpg

aico-ei100bnx-battery-powered-ionisation-smoke-alarm.jpg

239080661?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

SharpCoder wrote: »
    Microsoft said they did a poll and most people wanted batteries and why they kept with it.

But you can just get a battery pack that acts just like a built in lithium battery pack quite easily.

I personally use these https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/venom-xbox-one-twin-rechargeable-battery-packs-black-21888526-pdt.html

I bought this last week for One S controllers.. seems awesome

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5M8C5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If you get beyond the childishness, it seems like you're going to be awfully surprised when you realise the sheer amount of devices that appear rechargeable actually recharge a bunch of AA or AAA rechargeable batteries strapped together as a unit.

These things are everywhere
    s-l300.jpg

Hurrache wrote: »
    These things are everywhere
    [/IMG]

Expect the Xbox, 360, Xbox one and Xbox series x it seems.

Hell, my first UK edition kindle from 2010 is still going at about 60hrs per charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I own both a PS4 and a Xbox One.

In terms of controller power I far prefer the Xbox. The PS4 battery life is gone very bad. For my Xbox I went to Maplin and bought a AA charger with 4 AA hybrid rechargeable batteries. Much better battery life and if/when those batteries lose their ability to fully charge I'll just replace them. Or people do have the option of a play and charge kit, with PS4 I need to put up with the now quite poor built-in battery.

now batteries are sorted why dont we have a go on headphone jacks

how in 2020 are there still wired headphones, its outrageous :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wonder if we get onto Joe Duffy we can sort out this shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Expect the Xbox, 360, Xbox one and Xbox series x it seems.

Hell, my first UK edition kindle from 2010 is still going at about 60hrs per charge.

I'm not quite sure you understand batteries, or e-ink for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Make sure ye use Sony batteries in yer xbox controllers for better performance :pac:

I hate the battery in my DS4 so much that I turn off vibration in most games. The new DS5 with all it's fecking fancy haptics only has me thinking about the amount of charging I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That's the standard I hold Microsoft too. TV remote controls and clocks. Both of which you get about 2 years out of 2 AA batteries

239080661?$rsp-pdp-port-1080$

The shock blue controller is just beautiful. Has the same colours of my favourite shorts :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Make sure ye use Sony batteries in yer xbox controllers for better performance :pac:

I hate the battery in my DS4 so much that I turn off vibration in most games. The new DS5 with all it's fecking fancy haptics only has me thinking about the amount of charging I'll be doing.

I wish Sony would make up their mind. Apparently they said vibration in controllers was a last gen feature just before the PS3 launched?

I wish Sony would make up their mind. Apparently they said vibration in controllers was a last gen feature just before the PS3 launched?

didnt ya hear vibration is out, its 2020 its all about haptic now. Bloody luddites :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

It's amazing how people stay stuff like "anti consumer" and "it doesn't matter" for batteries for a console controller.

How are standard rechargeable batteries anti consumer ? There is no special charging kit. Any standard charger will do. This is pro consumer. Other devices make you go through hoops to change the battery. Maybe this makes sense for stuff that needs to be small (e.g. phone). But not a game console controller.

This really does matter.

People throw stuff away all the time because the battery is dead and they can't replace it. Works out cheaper sometimes to buy a new device because the replacement battery and paying someone to do it is expensive. And you've no idea what quality battery you are getting. This is incredible environmental waste and mindset. There are people getting their air, water, land destroyed by consumer electronic generation and dumping/"recycling". The least we can do is be better in this regard. Or at least be mindful.

I'm delighted my xbox controller and wiimote takes standard batteries. But what will I do with that switch pro controller when the battery dies. Nintendo would like me to buy or new one or replace battery for 60 euro ? Anti consumer, environmental waste. Also, some hypocrisy from me here re: waste and consumerism :)

Next step: standard controllers across all consoles! At least for a given generation. You can have you basic, your pro and your elite one. And one with fine grain vibration :)

You guys must be awfully unlucky throwing away consumer products all of the time due to flat batteries.

I refuse to believe Nintendo would release a faulty product. The Switch Pro Controller will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I refuse to believe Nintendo would release a faulty product. The Switch Pro Controller will last a lifetime.

There was a class action lawsuit against nintendo in the US because of faulty Joy Cons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You guys must be awfully unlucky throwing away consumer products all of the time due to flat batteries.

The joycons beg to differ. The d-pads on pro controllers ain't that great either.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There was a class action lawsuit against nintendo in the US because of faulty Joy Cons.

lol by one person.

There was also a class action lawsuit by one person against Starbucks for putting to many ice cubs in their coffee so I've no idea what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lol by one person.

There was also a class action lawsuit by one person against Starbucks for putting to many ice cubs in their coffee so I've no idea what your point is.

LOL you haven't a clue

TitianGerm wrote: »
    LOL you haven't a clue

If you wanna just fling insults go ahead but please try and make a coherent point.

This isn't the soccer forum.

Can't wait for the PS6 to come with a power glove.

If you wanna just fling insults go ahead but please try and make a coherent point.

This isn't the soccer forum.
    I just really cannot understand what your argument is. Built in batteries that cannot be removed and render your controller useless once the charge deteriorates (ALL batteries lose charge, so again I really don't get your argument "doesn't happen to me") are better than allowing you to remove the batteries and replace them ensuring 90%+ efficiency needed to satisfy even the most casual gamers needs. It really is bizarre. I suppose I should be experienced enough not to feed the trolls.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Can't wait for the PS6 to come with a power glove.

It'll have built-in-removable proprietary batteries that can be replaced with official playstation batteries for €20 cheaper than buying a whole new controller and it will be the best thing ever. How did they ever think of it, batteries that can be replaced. Wow.

I just really cannot understand what your argument is. Built in batteries that cannot be removed and render your controller useless once the charge deteriorates (ALL batteries lose charge, so again I really don't get your argument "doesn't happen to me") are better than allowing you to remove the batteries and replace them ensuring 90%+ efficiency needed to satisfy even the most casual gamers needs. It really is bizarre. I suppose I should be experienced enough not to feed the trolls.

We are talking about AA batteries here. It's an simple point. MS themselves have a pack that fits in their pad but decide not to use it and charge the consumer.

I have repeated this point numerous times but you are still going off on tangents.

There is zero devices of this calibre coming out in 2020 that need AA batteries to run.

I'd say half your kids don't even know what an AA battery is for.

I see there are still loads of xbox series s's available in Argos. If parents are looking for a next gen console off santa for the little one like a lot are in the ps5 request thread, i would definitely go with the S. Throw in gamepass and the kids will have no idea it's not a 4k box with all the fanciness of the x/ps5.

• Advertisement

We are talking about AA batteries here.

Without a question of doubt the best suited batteries for this purpose.

Advertisement