Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see there are still loads of xbox series s's available in Argos. If parents are looking for a next gen console off santa for the little one like a lot are in the ps5 request thread, i would definitely go with the S. Throw in gamepass and the kids will have no idea it's not a 4k box with all the fanciness of the x/ps5.

Sorry, this is the AA battery thread. Please stop posting useful info about next gen consoles here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »
    If you wanna just fling insults go ahead but please try and make a coherent point.

This isn't the soccer forum.

There were no insults just an insinuation that you didn't know what you were talking about.

https://millerlawpc.com/class-action-lawsuit/#What_is_a_Class_Action_Lawsuit

There is a full description of a class action law suit in that link. A law suit taken on behalf of one group or class of people.

You are right though, it's not the soccer forum so it'd be great if you leave your usual nonsense over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There were no insults just an insinuation that you didn't know what you were talking about.

https://millerlawpc.com/class-action-lawsuit/#What_is_a_Class_Action_Lawsuit

There is a full description of a class action law suit in that link. A law suit taken on behalf of one group or class of people.

You are right though, it's not the soccer forum so it'd be great if you leave your usual nonsense over there.

Speaking of nonsense, you do realise one person can start a class action lawsuit which was the case your talking about.
    The class-action lawsuit, which was filed by Luz Sanchez and her 9 or 10-year-old son in California, USA, is seeking $5 million in damages from Nintendo after two sets of Joy-Con controllers they purchased allegedly suffered from drifting

Which somehow relates to Nintendo Pro controller battery life in your mind....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

#batterygate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't get how someone can decide that using AA is anti-consumer. You are free to buy €5 rechargeable AA batteries or a €10 battery pack, but you never have to worry about crap battery life or failure.

If anything, non-replaceable batteries are anti-consumer, as when the battery becomes weak or fails, the controller is useless and you have to buy another.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see there are still loads of xbox series s's available in Argos. If parents are looking for a next gen console off santa for the little one like a lot are in the ps5 request thread, i would definitely go with the S. Throw in gamepass and the kids will have no idea it's not a 4k box with all the fanciness of the x/ps5.

They are all on eBay now.

590x438_Editorial_Game-and-Watch-Lifestyle-Banner.jpg

I even have this coming this week and it doesn't need any AA's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    #batterygate
    :D

Gears 5 always looked good but have to say its looking amazing on Series X. Spent the last 10 minutes going up and down on the rappelling section taking in the sights :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

skerry wrote: »
    Gears 5 always looked good but have to say its looking amazing on Series X. Spent the last 10 minutes going up and down on the rappelling section taking in the sights :)

Yeah but how is the battery life. Controller still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Come on, guys. It's time to heal our divisions.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1326198968481542144?s=20

• Advertisement

Yeah but how is the battery life. Controller still going?

All good, 4k 60fps AA's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Dont often get an excuse to post this.

official theme song of game controllers.

I don't know which is cuter

20201111-105543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Every time I see the S, I imagine it has wavy lines depicting voice/sound coming from the speaker looking part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know which is cuter

20201111-105543.jpg

The folk on the Triple Click podcast have taken to referring to it as the Baby Xbox, which is 100% more memorable and catchy than the Series S :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

The folk on the Triple Click podcast have taken to referring to it as the Baby Xbox, which is 100% more memorable and catchy than the Series S :pac:

Series S / X sound like the technical names.

Really a bit more lateral thinking by MS and they could have something memorable and not confusing.

I think Nintendo really learnt that expensive lesson with the WiiU.
    WiiU - WHAT ? U no like my Wii.
    Switch - Cool.

Series S is actually a very sellable console. Great price + power.
    You can get that + a 1440p monitor with freesync for about the price of an X.
    I think a better name would really help sell it to parents/families/kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Series S / X sound like the technical names.

Really a bit more lateral thinking by MS and they could have something memorable and not confusing.

I think Nintendo really learnt that lesson with the WiiU.
    WiiU - WHAT ? U no like my Wii.

Switch - Cool.

Ya, made worse by the fact the one previous is the Xbox One X and Xbox One S. A bit too confusing imo

A few dodgy ones out in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Series X looks smaller than I thought it would. Nice bit of weight to it also. Very very nice console.

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Series X looks smaller than I thought it would. Nice bit of weight to it also. Very very nice console.

But it will never had a Gamecube handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RasTa wrote: »
    A few dodgy ones out in the wild.

The noise it made on the ones where it wouldn't take in the disc hurt my soul.

Hope it turns out to be uncommon or at least for some of them can be fixed with an update or something rather than requiring replacement. Probably going to be a few PS5 issues too, I think one reviewer has already had his fail on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Let the console wars begin, again:

Interesting. Seems the XBox going for more cores rather than the PS5 going for higher clock rate is leading to a performance advantage which isn't unexpected.

However said performance advantage as to not really matter all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Let the console wars begin, again:

So its basically a wash.

Interesting to see that PS5, can't change the framerate to 60 fps, as the 120 fps mode is clearly not hitting 120 fps at all and also the lack of VRR to make up for it, but it looks like the frame rate is too variable for even VRR to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

Will probably end up with the ps5 although the box is mighty tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

SilentBee wrote: »
    Will probably end up with the ps5 although the box is mighty tempting.

Yeah I ended up getting an X... Ps1 to 4 buyer But gamepass deal swung it...pretty decent library of games there for a sweet once off deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Interesting. Seems the XBox going for more cores rather than the PS5 going for higher clock rate is leading to a performance advantage which isn't unexpected.

However said performance advantage as to not really matter all that much.

Ya, i remember reading something about the XBox SDK not being mature enough yet so there may be improvements made there in time. They also mention in the video that devs are saying its easy to work with the PS5 tools.

Way too early to call it but will be interesting to see what the difference is with going for cores over clocks. I reckon there will be very little difference.

I do find Sony going for higher clocks strange. Everything points towards more cores being the future and Sony could have raised the clocks when they found out they were behind Microsoft on that front.

Then again Mark Cerny was saying higher clocks is advantageous. It's just that's counter to where everything else is going.

I'm sure we will get a clearer picture from digital foundry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

We set up my young lads series X today and as a PC gamer its the only console that has impressed me in the last 20 years.
    As mentioned its so much smaller than i expected,its very quiet.
    Game Pass is what swung it for us , i can use it on PC and young lad on the series X.
    Only negative is he cant play fifa 21 yet as its not series X ready until December but other than that the performance of this thing along with game pass is a no brainer.

Advertisement