Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

CatInABox wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of mid range PC really. Would you get the same combination of graphics, framerate and load speeds in a mid range PC? I don't think so, and the folks in Digital Foundry don't think so either.

Give a few years, and sure, I'd agree with you.

Well, atm I have what I'd consider mid-range PC: Ryzen 2600x with a GTX 1660, it's nothing special nor expensive but it can run any game I throw at it on high to ultra settings above 60fps. There's nothing that I have seen from the ps5/XBSX that my PC couldn't handle with ease, if I upgraded to something like a 1080Ti it would easily compete. I think it's just that the whole 4K, high fps side of things doesn't ever amaze me, I want stunning graphics, I want a leap in visuals from the old gen, I'm not seeing anything close

The issue is the mid range refresh that happened with the PS5 pro and the Xbox One X, if it was just the base systems then this is a giant leap. I have a 1080 so I get the high res and frame rate but can not do ray tracing like the new systems, still if you have a PC get a RX 6800 XT and you would be way ahead of anything the consoles could do.

I was considering a 1080Ti as I've seen them go used for very reasonable prices, or something like a 3070 - IMHO any of those cards can outshine a ps5 with consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well, atm I have what I'd consider mid-range PC: Ryzen 2600x with a GTX 1660, it's nothing special nor expensive but it can run any game I throw at it on high to ultra settings above 60fps. There's nothing that I have seen from the ps5/XBSX that my PC couldn't handle with ease, if I upgraded to something like a 1080Ti it would easily compete. I think it's just that the whole 4K, high fps side of things doesn't ever amaze me, I want stunning graphics, I want a leap in visuals from the old gen, I'm not seeing anything close

Well in fairness, your PC could not run Assassins Creed Valhalla as good as the Xbox Series X does.

It's a €500 console, that can compete with a €1K+ PC. It is what it is. Anyone coming from a decent PC isn't going to be blown away.

Of course if you upgraded to a 1080Ti it would compete. But then you would have the aforementioned 1K PC, and even at that with the 2600X it would still be inferior to the Series X.

I honestly don't know what you expected from a new €500 console. They're tremendous performers for the money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I see my PC and consoles as separate entities - both used regularly. I spend so much time at a PC with work I’m glad to have consoles that feel ‘separate’ to that (especially when working from home). That the consoles are now able to offer the same general ballpark performance as my PC is a very positive development - means I can enjoy some of the key advantages of PC while still sitting on the couch or lying in bed.

I’ll still play lots of PC games, no doubt. And yes I’m sure PC games will still offer significant advantages, in particular as the generation goes on - once the 30xx or 40xx cards etc... become widely adopted. But for now, there are new consoles which at least offer excellent performance on par or not far off my 2060 Super (for not much more than I paid for that GPU at the start of the year). Good news, IMO. And none of that even taking into account console only games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 varianjv

Gotta stick with the Xbox!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

The broken suspend resume functionality on the Series X is killing me. I’ve been used to suspend resume working flawlessly on the PS4 with a single game for years. Microsoft made a big song and dance about their killer feature supporting it for multiple games, which doesn’t work at all, but even with a single game it’s completely broken and I keep assuming I can do things I could do on the PS4 only to find that it loses my game progress when I do.

The amount of times I’ve turned on a game now only to discover I’ve to redo 30+ minutes of progress because the console lost it, either because it killed the app when I went to Netflix and back, or it killed the app on its own because I left the game running while I was out of the room for a while and it went into sleep mode. It’s made me stop playing Watchdogs entirely when it lost one particularly long session of about 3 hours worth of progress (which really shouldn’t be possible with auto save but it managed to somehow), and it’s ruining Yakuza at this point having to keep redoing things every time I turn the game on because I forgot to manually save because I didn’t think I was turning the game off. It’s making me wish I got it on PS4 where this has never ever been a problem, and it would look the same aside from running at 30fps which I wouldn’t notice.

I’m just venting because, not for the first time in the last few days, I’ve just sat down to get a half hour of gaming in, only to find that half hour is now just going to be spent catching up to where I already was. The console even had the temerity to proclaim “Quick Resume” on the loading screen as it brought me not into the point in Yakuza where I previously was, but instead to the main menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    The broken suspend resume functionality on the Series X is killing me. I’ve been used to suspend resume working flawlessly on the PS4 with a single game for years. Microsoft made a big song and dance about their killer feature supporting it for multiple games, which doesn’t work at all, but even with a single game it’s completely broken and I keep assuming I can do things I could do on the PS4 only to find that it loses my game progress when I do.

The amount of times I’ve turned on a game now only to discover I’ve to redo 30+ minutes of progress because the console lost it, either because it killed the app when I went to Netflix and back, or it killed the app on its own because I left the game running while I was out of the room for a while and it went into sleep mode. It’s made me stop playing Watchdogs entirely when it lost one particularly long session of about 3 hours worth of progress (which really shouldn’t be possible with auto save but it managed to somehow), and it’s ruining Yakuza at this point having to keep redoing things every time I turn the game on because I forgot to manually save because I didn’t think I was turning the game off. It’s making me wish I got it on PS4 where this has never ever been a problem, and it would look the same aside from running at 30fps which I wouldn’t notice.

I’m just venting because, not for the first time in the last few days, I’ve just sat down to get a half hour of gaming in, only to find that half hour is now just going to be spent catching up to where I already was. The console even had the temerity to proclaim “Quick Resume” on the loading screen as it brought me not into the point in Yakuza where I previously was, but instead to the main menu.

Seeing as you know there's an issue would it not make more sense to save your game before you switch to another in case the quick resume doesn't work?

That seems like a simple solution to the game progress loss for the moment.

Edit: looks like putting the PS5 in rest mode while playing MM can cause the whole system to crash and need a repair/rebuild.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Seeing as you know there's an issue would it not make more sense to save your game before you switch to another in case the quick resume doesn't work?

That seems like a simple solution to the game progress loss for the moment.

Edit: looks like putting the PS5 in rest mode while playing MM can cause the whole system to crash and need a repair/rebuild.

It would make sense, but 6 years of muscle memory of this kind of thing working properly makes it easy to forget. In the case of Yakuza I can also often be in the middle of a lengthy cutscene or dungeon section where saving is impossible, and either need to switch over a video steaming app to watch something with my partner, or even just leave the game paused and change the TV over to another HDMI source or turn it off because I have to go out and do something or whatever. In the first case the progress is lost instantly, in the second case the Xbox automatically goes into power saving after a little while and progress is also lost. In both cases, it would be fine on PS4 and no progress would be lost.

In the case of Watchdogs, there is literally no way to manually save that I can see. It should just work, but it didn’t. I played for hours, I was finished a session, I’d just competed a mission (one of many that session, all of which I would have expected to be checkpointed), I powered down the console, came back to play it later (without switching to any other games which I knew would make it shut down), and it loaded back to the main screen then when I continued game it was back before the entirety of the previous session.

I’ve never lost progress in any game that I can remember in the last several years, and it’s happened multiple times in different games the space of a few days now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ubisoft forums are full of people complaining about the same issue. I'd hold off on playing it until either MS fix their quick resume functionality (it's disabled for some games, including Legion), or Ubisoft fix their broken save system.

These are the games with it disabled, I'd assume that there's probably issues with saving with all of them, to be honest.

Watch Dogs: Legion
    Dirt 5
    The Falconeer
    Forza Horizon 4
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon
    NBA 2K21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Few people moaning that it's the same UI from the xbox one x. Lazy if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

What power settings is the console on. I don't know if it impacts quick resume but I have mine on instant on and have yet to have an issue.

My Forza 4 was completely broke until I completed a fresh restall it kept telling me lego wasn't installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »
    Few people moaning that it's the same UI from the xbox one x. Lazy if true.

They are keeping parity between all of their supported systems.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They are keeping parity between all of their supported systems.

AA batteries and same UI is lazy. It's similar to Windows 98 having the exact same layout as 95.

Lazy.

No games on release, this isn't really a next gen console, even the name suggests this. It's another upgraded xbox one.

However game pass is the best feature any of the new machines. Just a shame they have no games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't think that continuity between console OSes is a bad thing to be honest, it means that there's no learning new quirks, etc. For example, on the PS5, people are accidentally playing PS4 versions of games because the system, for some reason, defaults to the PS4 version if both are installed, which is easy to do because the "download all" button also downloads the PS4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

RasTa wrote: »
    AA batteries and same UI is lazy. It's similar to Windows 98 having the exact same layout as 95.

Lazy.

No games on release, this isn't really a next gen console, even the name suggests this. It's another upgraded xbox one.

However game pass is the best feature any of the new machines. Just a shame they have no games.

Let me guess, you don't plan on getting a Series X

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony used xmb from the PSP onwards with the exception of the vita. I don't see the issue.

skerry wrote: »
    Let me guess, you don't plan on getting a Series X

Depends if they release any games that are worth buying a console for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: RasTa, please lay off with the relentless negativity about every single aspect of the Xbox. It’s coming across as trolling at this stage, and everyone else has managed to avoid that kind of carry on in this thread.

It has actually been quite positive from everyone. Hopefully that's an indication that we've got two very good machines on our hands, and that we're going to have a great generation.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't think that continuity between console OSes is a bad thing to be honest, it means that there's no learning new quirks, etc. For example, on the PS5, people are accidentally playing PS4 versions of games because the system, for some reason, defaults to the PS4 version if both are installed, which is easy to do because the "download all" button also downloads the PS4 version.

That's an argument against a silly oversight that Sony will presumably fix at some point, rather than an argument against having a new UI.

Sony are introducing new features like the activity cards, like completion time estimates, like video achievements, like the picture in picture help stuff, all while keeping the basic XMB layout people are familiar with but bringing it up to 4k and improving the visuals. I haven't tried it so don't know if any of it will be worthwhile, but surely it's better than bringing nothing new to the table.

• Advertisement

That's an argument against a silly oversight that Sony will presumably fix at some point, rather than an argument against having a new UI.

Sony are introducing new features like the activity cards, like completion time estimates, like video achievements, like the picture in picture help stuff, all while keeping the basic XMB layout people are familiar with but bringing it up to 4k and improving the visuals. I haven't tried it so don't know if any of it will be worthwhile, but surely it's better than bringing nothing new to the table.

Microsoft are going the IOS route. Everything familiar so no learning curve. To me it looks like they've worked on the speed of the OS first and I'm sure they'll add as they go.

But to say they've added nothing is wrong. Isn't Quick Resume a new OS feature?

Mod note: RasTa, please lay off with the relentless negativity about every single aspect of the Xbox. It’s coming across as trolling at this stage, and everyone else has managed to avoid that kind of carry on in this thread.

PM sent.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Microsoft are going the IOS route. Everything familiar so no learning curve. To me it looks like they've worked on the speed of the OS first and I'm sure they'll add as they go.

But to say they've added nothing is wrong. Isn't Quick Resume a new OS feature?

It is a new feature, and one I was looking forward to before getting my Series X. However, it also doesn't work for any of the major new releases that you'd want to play and actively makes the experience worse so far than the single game suspend resume that I was used to on last gen.

I'm not that confident about them fixing it any time soon since the regular single game suspend resume never worked reliably on the Xbox One while it was always rock solid on the PS4.

It's also a major feature that will have had lots of attention poured on it, yet they failed to launch the console with it functional, which is a different scenario to a minor oversight like PS4 games appearing ahead of PS5 games on a list in a UI which could be fixed quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not that confident about them fixing it any time soon since the regular single game suspend resume never worked reliably on the Xbox One while it was always rock solid on the PS4.

Really? I've never found that - at least on the One X. The only ever issue I've had has been with multiplayer games disconnecting from the server as you'd expect - Destiny and CoD and the likes

Even with Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I realised yesterday that I was six hours into the game without creating a save because I'd been relying entirely on game resume throughout.

It is a new feature, and one I was looking forward to before getting my Series X. However, it also doesn't work for any of the major new releases that you'd want to play and actively makes the experience worse so far than the single game suspend resume that I was used to on last gen.

It's also a major feature that will have had lots of attention poured on it, yet they failed to launch the console with it functional, which is a different scenario to a minor oversight like PS4 games appearing ahead of PS5 games on a list in a UI which could be fixed quickly.

There's others posting saying it's working for them so it is working but something is going on that it's not working for everyone.

Really? I've never found that - at least on the One X. The only ever issue I've had has been with multiplayer games disconnecting from the server as you'd expect - Destiny and CoD and the likes

Even with Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I realised yesterday that I was six hours into the game without creating a save because I'd been relying entirely on game resume throughout.

Doesn't it auto save anyway?

Homelander wrote: »
    Well in fairness, your PC could not run Assassins Creed Valhalla as good as the Xbox Series X does.

It's a €500 console, that can compete with a €1K+ PC. It is what it is. Anyone coming from a decent PC isn't going to be blown away.

Of course if you upgraded to a 1080Ti it would compete. But then you would have the aforementioned 1K PC, and even at that with the 2600X it would still be inferior to the Series X.

I honestly don't know what you expected from a new €500 console. They're tremendous performers for the money.

I think it'll run that game without much fuss tbh, but I'm not interested in it after watching a bunch of streams. More interested in Cyberpunk, and that is when I will probably have to upgrade.

It's not so much the consoles I think, it's the latest batch of games aren't doing it for me perhaps. I'm sure there's much better on the way, I've not abandoned the idea of getting one in the new year some time. I still like the idea of gaming on the larger tv chillin' on the sofa.

Also important to note that visuals have reached such a high level of fidelity that it’s increasingly hard to make the sort of generational leaps that were common in the earlier days of 3D graphics. I think that’s why much of the focus has turned to performance both on consoles and PC. Especially when raw resolution has become sort of redundant with the emergence of DLSS and the like.

I’m sure many games will continue to impress on a purely visual level, but we’ve reached such a high watermark already that there’s a certain incremental nature to the jumps we’re seeing.

Also important to note that visuals have reached such a high level of fidelity that it’s increasingly hard to make the sort of generational leaps that were common in the earlier days of 3D graphics. I think that’s why much of the focus has turned to performance both on consoles and PC. Especially when raw resolution has become sort of redundant with the emergence of DLSS and the like.

I’m sure many games will continue to impress on a purely visual level, but we’ve reached such a high watermark already that there’s a certain incremental nature to the jumps we’re seeing.

Valid point, if we compare modern games to ones from a decade ago we see the leap more so, it's just been smaller improvements along the way in between. There's always those gems that still stand up today though from 5-6 yrs back, like The Witcher 3 but in general 3D games today do look better. I just remember being more 'wowed' when say, the xbox 360 and ps3 came out

I'll keep check on new games incoming, it is early days yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Just looking at the reviews coming through on the PS5, the real progression seems to be that the Dualsense controller and 3D audio are game changers. Both are getting great reviews in general. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it this week to try it for myself but they could be the real USP of the next gen consoles if they live up to the reviews I'm seeing.

Advertisement