Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Valid point, if we compare modern games to ones from a decade ago we see the leap more so, it's just been smaller improvements along the way in between. There's always those gems that still stand up today though from 5-6 yrs back, like The Witcher 3 but in general 3D games today do look better. I just remember being more 'wowed' when say, the xbox 360 and ps3 came out

I'll keep check on new games incoming, it is early days yet

Yeah the 360 / PS3 had a big boon as really being the first dedicated HD consoles - that level of sharpness (matched with some very capable technology) was perhaps the last generational leap*. Higher definitions are no doubt very nice indeed, but again an incremental jump compared to SD->HD. I've said it before, but the best looking early 360 / PS3 games still look pretty solid (some don't at all, of course :D).

*actually the last generational leap was VR - Half-Life Alyx does offer that 'wow' factor, to be fair. But that's achieved in a way beyond mere brute force graphics and more a totally different way of experiencing a game world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just looking at the reviews coming through on the PS5, the real progression seems to be that the Dualsense controller and 3D audio are game changers. Both are getting great reviews in general. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it this week to try it for myself but they could be the real USP of the next gen consoles if they live up to the reviews I'm seeing.

3D audio is proper next gen stuff. However you do have to pay extra for it

ASgEohC3bbmkuradCx3zcb-970-80.jpg.webp

It would make more sense if it worked with wh-1000XM series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

3D audio works with any standard pair of stereo headphones.
    Sony wrote:
    On the PS5, you'll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller's 3.5mm headset jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »

ASgEohC3bbmkuradCx3zcb-970-80.jpg.webp

It would make more sense if it worked with wh-1000XM series.

Think Sony have said it'll work on older headset's as well. I'm nearly sure I read it somewhere.

Those Pulse headsets aren't overly expensive though especially if you get the life of the console out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah the 360 / PS3 had a big boon as really being the first dedicated HD consoles - that level of sharpness (matched with some very capable technology) was perhaps the last generational leap*. Higher definitions are no doubt very nice indeed, but again an incremental jump compared to SD->HD. I've said it before, but the best looking early 360 / PS3 games still look pretty solid (some don't at all, of course :D).

The 360/PS3 gen also had a crazy amount of good 3rd party stuff that was its magic imo. With the cost of AAA games, studio acquisitions and laziness by the likes of EA/Ubisoft especially you don't see anything new being made like Dead Space, Rayman Origins, Assassins Creed 2, Bayonetta, BioShock, Portal, Battlefield Bad Company, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect, Dark Souls or Saints Row being released regularly as 3rd party titles. A lot of those series were ran into the ground quick or their new games now just feel overly familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Really? I've never found that - at least on the One X. The only ever issue I've had has been with multiplayer games disconnecting from the server as you'd expect - Destiny and CoD and the likes

Even with Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I realised yesterday that I was six hours into the game without creating a save because I'd been relying entirely on game resume throughout.

My experience of One X is that it works about 80% of the time - generally it works but you never feel totally confident and always want to make sure you've saved. This is mainly from Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon which were the main games I played much of on that console. There was no pattern I could see, you could turn the console off and come back a week later and it would work, or you could be out of the game five minutes and come back and find it was restarting.

On PS4, it never failed once on any game that I can remember over 6 years. I could happily do multi-hour endurance races in racing games that didn't have a mid-race save feature for example, and turn off the console in the middle of them and use apps like Netflix and know with 100% confidence that I'd be able to continue where I left off whenever I decided to. The only exception was The Crew which was a game that insisted on being always online and it would force you out to reconnect. I generally don't play online multiplayer games so never had any other issues.

On Series X, it just doesn't work at all for me, ever. And games like Watchdogs that auto-save and have no way of manual saving, have cost me hours of progress which has really left a sour taste and have basically meant I no longer expect to finish that game which I had been enjoying.

I understand there are many games where it does work, apparently it's great for older backwards compatible non-enhanced stuff, but it doesn't work on any of the games I've been playing, which is most of the main launch line up of enhanced games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Those Pulse headsets aren't overly expensive though especially if you get the life of the console out of them.
    That's true for the price of them which is around €100. I also like the microphone setup on them.

Now that I have my Series X and will be getting a PS5 sometime next year hopefully, I'll be looking out for a wireless headset I can use on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That's true for the price of them which is around €100. I also like the microphone setup on them.

Now that I have my Series X and will be getting a PS5 sometime next year hopefully, I'll be looking out for a wireless headset I can use on both consoles.

Atm there are 3 that can work on both, the Astro A20 Gen 2(requires purchase of 2nd dongle), the Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox and the Steelseries Arctis 7x.

quokula wrote: »
    On PS4, it never failed once on any game that I can remember over 6 years.
    PS4 didn't have suspend/resume (with active game) at launch, it was added in 2015 so they had a long time to test it. And even still I recall a few games were buggy with it at the time. Coincidentally one of them was Watchdogs, the feature was disabled with that game due to reports of bugs and lost progress.

It's unfortunate to lose progress in any game, but it's part & parcel of being an early adopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

RasTa wrote: »

Not knocking better audio but there's nothing next-gen about HRTF based virtual surround. It's been around for decades in different iterations. So hopefully it will be a big improvement over their previous but why is this often now being presented as new tech?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

As far as proper next-gen stuff, both consoles having a dedicated SSD is the clincher for me. It will be the first time devs will be developing for a platform they’re guaranteed to have ultra fast data transfer, and looking at something like ratchet and clank has me wondering what type of experiences they’ll be able to develop a couple of years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm going to do some game loading time comparisons between some of my consoles and write them down on a sheet of paper.

Example: loading time of Forza Horizon 4 on the One X v Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm going to do some game loading time comparisons between some of my consoles and write them down on a sheet of paper.

Example: loading time of Forza Horizon 4 on the One X v Series X.

I don't know if I could handle that level of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Aye, if it comes down to having to record time differences, it can't be that great? Happy with the load speeds I got from the nvme on my PC, if the new consoles can better that then they're great for that job at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CEX have their PS5 prices up. They're looking for €400 for the digital and a whopping €800 for the disc version and are offering €640 cash to trade one in. The scalpers will be having a wet dream making at least a €140 profit.

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=playstation%205&view=list&categoryIds=1061

That sort of naked cynicism is why I deplore CeX.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

CEX and Gamestop are cut from the same cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

Vicxas wrote: »
    CEX and Gamestop are cut from the same cloth.

I wonder for how much longer they will be able to survive. Take GameStop for example they are overpriced and their trade valuation is even lower than CEX.

Why would you but something from GameStop if you could get the same game cheaper from the likes of Amazon, Smyth Toys, Ebay etc. Suppose its just a quick fix for parents getting a birthday or xmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gally79 wrote: »
    I wonder for how much longer they will be able to survive. Take GameStop for example they are overpriced and their trade valuation is even lower than CEX.

Why would you but something from GameStop if you could get the same game cheaper from the likes of Amazon, Smyth Toys, Ebay etc. Suppose its just a quick fix for parents getting a birthday or xmas present.

Judging by their god awful console launches and their supports response i doubt Gamestop will be around very much longer. They've resigned themselves to selling POP! tat and merch.

CEX might be a bit luckier as they're more HW focused than software

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

they will be around for a long time as it seems people are reluctant to move to digital ( not myself I love it) but so many are happy to buy then trade and keep these horrible places in business

(I did recently sell my one X to Cex as I have no time for time kickers on adverts either, IE one x for sale 200 reply, hey man il give you €50, a broken gameboy and a can of lynx Africa0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

recyclops wrote: »
    they will be around for a long time as it seems people are reluctant to move to digital ( not myself I love it) but so many are happy to buy then trade and keep these horrible places in business

(I did recently sell my one X to Cex as I have no time for time kickers on adverts either, IE one x for sale 200 reply, hey man il give you €50, a broken gameboy and a can of lynx Africa0

Hmm, was it a big, regular or travel size can of Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hmm, was it a big, regular or travel size can of Africa?

Christmas set with superficial damage to the packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

LG Electronics announces exclusive marketing partnership with Microsoft in 4 major regions. LG OLED TV now official TV partner of Xbox Series X.

https://www.lgnewsroom.com/2020/11/lg-oled-tv-and-xbox-series-x-unleash-next-gen-console-gaming-experience/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

recyclops wrote: »

Honestly, I don't think Gamestop will be around without a major shift in direction soon. The Digital/Physical sales ratio was pushing 60%, and that was before Covid. If it goes much higher, then the Gamestop model of bricks and mortar stores just doesn't make any sense.

Cex on the other hand, are set up to survive longer. They're already a second hand shop dealing in almost everything, not just games.

Digital Foundry Valhalla comparison between Series X|S and PS5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaSrS1fsvc&feature=emb_logo

It is performing better on PS5. It holds 60fps more consistently while Series X drops to the 50s (or even high 40s) when things get busy. Resolution and graphical settings appear the same on both.

It is an interesting start to the generation, based on the specs you would expect if it was going to favour one console it would be the X but the opposite is the case. The game is pretty buggy so in the course of patching it's possible they will equalize performance.

Series S is dynamic 1440p 30fps with lower graphical settings. Holds 30fps pretty consistently and doesn't tear as much as Series X. I think the Series X performance probably explains why it does not offer a 60fps mode on Series S yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

It is performing better on PS5. It holds 60fps more consistently while Series X drops to the 50s (or even high 40s) when things get busy. Resolution and graphical settings appear the same on both.

It is an interesting start to the generation, based on the specs you would expect if it was going to favour one console it would be the X but the opposite is the case. The game is pretty buggy so in the course of patching it's possible they will equalize performance.

Series S is dynamic 1440p 30fps with lower graphical settings. Holds 30fps pretty consistently and doesn't tear as much as Series X. I think the Series X performance probably explains why it does not offer a 60fps mode on Series S yet.

AC Valhalla is extremely buggy on series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

That's surprising. I was planning to pick up the PS5 version for haptic feedback, faster load times, and for a break from the hassle of suspend-resume not functioning properly and throwing away progress in all the XSX games I've played in the last week.

I assumed there might be some slight performance issues compared to the XSX and that would be a price worth paying for a better overall experience. Surprised to hear it performs better on PS5 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think we could well see a repeat of the PS2/Xbox generation whereby the Xbox Series X has the more powerful hardware on paper but that third party developers focus and optimise for the PS5 because it's the more popular console.

quokula wrote: »
    That's surprising. I was planning to pick up the PS5 version for haptic feedback, faster load times, and for a break from the hassle of suspend-resume not functioning properly and throwing away progress in all the XSX games I've played in the last week.

I assumed there might be some slight performance issues compared to the XSX and that would be a price worth paying for a better overall experience. Surprised to hear it performs better on PS5 too.
    It surprised me also. They went in different directions with their design but certainly on paper it seemed like a straightforward advantage for the Series X.

It's rumoured that the PS5 SDK is just a continuation of the PS4 one, devs like it very much. Whereas the Series X|S one is brand new and not fully mature. It might explain the funny performance.

I'm interested to see the Cyberpunk comparison, it's not coming out for a couple of weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a weird one especially with DMC5 showing a preference for the Series X although the difference is very minor.

Advertisement