Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just FYI quokula, Quick Resume is still disabled for Watchdogs and Yakuza, so it's not that causing the problem.

The save issue with Watchdogs is a Ubisoft problem, they've moved to their own cloud save platform, which has caused save issues across all versions and platforms, PS and Xbox alike.

The Yakuza one though? No idea. Does the game not auto save itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If we look at both the PS5 and Xbox threads it's clear to see which console is having more issues. Playstation seems to be a bit of a mess at the moment for some people but the only thing that may not be fixable is the coil whine.

What I do find great is how everyone is so positive on the fast load times in games. It really is a huge difference that you can see straight away.

It's going to be very interesting in the next two or three years to see where developers can do with the extra horsepower available to them. Early days yet but it looks to be a great generation.

Just a thought on quick resume and stories of losing progress, I can't remember the last time I had to manually save a game. Certainly the PS4/One generation i can't remember ever needing to save a game.

Not excusing quick resume if its not working properly then obviously it should be fixed. I just don't understand how people are losing progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Brilliant as usual from Girlfriend Reviews.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just FYI quokula, Quick Resume is still disabled for Watchdogs and Yakuza, so it's not that causing the problem.

The save issue with Watchdogs is a Ubisoft problem, they've moved to their own cloud save platform, which has caused save issues across all versions and platforms, PS and Xbox alike.

I've noticed with the save's in Assassin's creed a little cloud logo beside one or two if them. Whats the reason for them moving to their own system for this, Xbox has this for nearly 10 years and it's worked flawlessly, I can only assume it's something to do with cross play or the fact that Sony require PS+ for cloud saves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've noticed with the save's in Assassin's creed a little cloud logo beside one or two if them. Whats the reason for them moving to their own system for this, Xbox has this for nearly 10 years and it's worked flawlessly, I can only assume it's something to do with cross play or the fact that Sony require PS+ for cloud saves?

That'll continue to be the case for the consoles, but the Ubi cloud saves, will allow for saves to be used across systems. I'm not sure of the details of the relationship yet, but If I'm playing on xbox for example, I could pick up where I left off on Stadia or whatever.

It'll play well with ubisoft connect, which will operate as one subscription across PC, Stadia and Luna. Also, if MS or PS allow it down the line, that'd be cool :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As Marcbrophy said, it's so that they can do cloud save across systems. Not sure that it's a feature that anyone was crying out for, but it may be handy to have... if it worked.

Anyway, the issue here is that Valhalla (and probably Watchdogs) launched with this, but it seems the game didn't have any error catching on whether the game could reach the Ubisoft servers. If that connection dropped, it wouldn't tell you, and save a local copy. When people came back to the game, it'd load the cloud save from ages ago and over write the local copy. Bit of a mess. New patch for it tomorrow, and I'm just surmising that this is how it went down from the patch notes.

FFS the patch notes read like a whole bunch of should have been there at launch.

FFS the patch notes read like a whole bunch of should have been there at launch.

100%. There's so much stuff missing that was in Origins and Odyssey, and that's ignoring the numerous and frequent bugs, that I've stopped playing for a while.

I've got a huge backlog anyway, and the games run better than ever now. I've tried games that I couldn't get into for whatever reason back in the day, and have realised that framerate and latency were pretty much the only reason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gally79

100%. There's so much stuff missing that was in Origins and Odyssey, and that's ignoring the numerous and frequent bugs, that I've stopped playing for a while.

I've got a huge backlog anyway, and the games run better than ever now. I've tried games that I couldn't get into for whatever reason back in the day, and have realised that framerate and latency were pretty much the only reason :pac:

AC Valhalla patch 1.04 is due to drop today. Its incredible how buggy this game is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ignoring the mad corporate practices that see these games rushed out year after year to strict deadlines, I do give some credit to the development teams that managed to ship games on time this year. It’s been an insanely stressful year, with big changes in working practices, and in Ubisoft particularly some big upheaval / controversy. To get these complex, massive games out to schedule is a hell of an achievement, bugs aside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And despite the controversies I've heard Ubisoft is one of the better companies when it comes to dealing with crunch (although I wouldn't be surprised if that crunch hasn't just been shifted to their many, many contractors).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Been using quick resume myself a lot on the series X, swapping between the following

Ori & the blind forest, destiny 2 (doesn't quite work as you get kicked to main screen for being idle), Ghost Recon Wildlands, Witcher 3, and AC: Black Flag, and tbh, I havent had any issues outside the obvious one with Destiny.

The series X is certainly sitting in nicely as the 'one quick mission' machine while herself is on the phone to her mum or putting the kids to bed, with the PC serving as the main point for serious gaming.
    I must actually track down a physical disc, just to make sure that the drive on it actually works properly!

Been using quick resume myself a lot on the series X, swapping between the following

Ori & the blind forest, destiny 2 (doesn't quite work as you get kicked to main screen for being idle), Ghost Recon Wildlands, Witcher 3, and AC: Black Flag, and tbh, I havent had any issues outside the obvious one with Destiny.

The series X is certainly sitting in nicely as the 'one quick mission' machine while herself is on the phone to her mum or putting the kids to bed, with the PC serving as the main point for serious gaming.
    I must actually track down a physical disc, just to make sure that the drive on it actually works properly!

Yeah, whatever bug they found seems to only affect games that are native to the Series. Weird one, I'd say that they're raging, first Halo gets delayed, then one of the signature features doesn't work on the latest games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Can quick resume work on any console in a game thats online and your connected to a server ( destiny, cod etc). I would imagine it obviously couldnt.

Surely the servers would just be full of people standing still waiting to come back online. I havent had an issue with my quick resume at all except in dark souls where it clearly tells me why its not quick resuming properly which makes perfect sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

recyclops wrote: »
    Can quick resume work on any console in a game thats online and your connected to a server ( destiny, cod etc). I would imagine it obviously couldnt.

Surely the servers would just be full of people standing still waiting to come back online. I havent had an issue with my quick resume at all except in dark souls where it clearly tells me why its not quick resuming properly which makes perfect sense .

No, as I mentioned previously, you get kicked for inactivity.
    Wildlands handles it better though, the games just defaults to an offline (single player) session, but reconnects as you start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah I thought as much which is why I probably have had no issues with quick resume except for the dark souls issue which is a non issue really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I played about 30 hours of Watchdogs on Xbox One X without ever losing progress, but once I switched to Series X it suddenly became a major issue. So while it may be an issue with Ubisoft not cloud saving correctly, that was probably hidden by the fact that suspend resume worked more reliably on the One X so it never had to retrieve a save from the cloud. Talking about standard suspend resume here, where you turn off your console and come back later and continue, rather than the game swapping that quick resume should support.

Yakuza has both auto saving and manual saving. But it also has some old school dungeon sections where you might go 30 minutes without a save point, or even a dialog sequence might take that long. I haven't lost masses of progress on Yakuza like I have on Watchdogs, but I have lost some here and there. Sometimes due to the game just crashing during gameplay, rather than a specific resume issue.

For years I've been used on PS4 to being able to just power off at any moment without thinking about it, and continuing instantly where I left off next time I have a chance to play. So far on Series X regular suspend resume has been working maybe 75% of the time, which means you can never confidently power off without saving first. And quick resume doesn't work at all of course (for any game I'm interested in) but I'm just avoiding that now by limiting when I switch games, which is fine as it's no different from last gen, but it's a pity not having it since it would have been the most interesting feature of the console.

Time will tell if they ever fix it, there's been no announcements as far as I can tell since they initially announced they were turning it off for Series X games. Regular Suspend resume never really worked reliably on Xbox One even though it was an advertised feature at launch, so I worry they'll forget about this too.

quokula wrote: »
    I played about 30 hours of Watchdogs on Xbox One X without ever losing progress, but once I switched to Series X it suddenly became a major issue. So while it may be an issue with Ubisoft not cloud saving correctly, that was probably hidden by the fact that suspend resume worked more reliably on the One X so it never had to retrieve a save from the cloud. Talking about standard suspend resume here, where you turn off your console and come back later and continue, rather than the game swapping that quick resume should support.

Yakuza has both auto saving and manual saving. But it also has some old school dungeon sections where you might go 30 minutes without a save point, or even a dialog sequence might take that long. I haven't lost masses of progress on Yakuza like I have on Watchdogs, but I have lost some here and there. Sometimes due to the game just crashing during gameplay, rather than a specific resume issue.

For years I've been used on PS4 to being able to just power off at any moment without thinking about it, and continuing instantly where I left off next time I have a chance to play. So far on Series X regular suspend resume has been working maybe 75% of the time, which means you can never confidently power off without saving first. And quick resume doesn't work at all of course (for any game I'm interested in) but I'm just avoiding that now by limiting when I switch games, which is fine as it's no different from last gen, but it's a pity not having it since it would have been the most interesting feature of the console.

Time will tell if they ever fix it, there's been no announcements as far as I can tell since they initially announced they were turning it off for Series X games. Regular Suspend resume never really worked reliably on Xbox One even though it was an advertised feature at launch, so I worry they'll forget about this too.

Fair enough, but I have to say, that hasn't been my experience at all, nor has there been massive widespread reports of this happening.

It sounds more like you've got a defective box than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

I see the new Spiderman game has a United Ireland flag in it. PS5 it is so :)

https://www.buzz.ie/games/spider-man-miles-morales-has-an-easter-egg-for-irish-players-402001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sales stats
    the Xbox Series X and S was released to the world on November 10, with everyone able to purchase the console.

The statistics show that between 1.2 million and 1.4 million Xbox consoles were sold within 24 hours of its release.
    Sony saw the next-gen PlayStation 5 sell a maximum possible total of 2.5 million consoles when launched. With some countries having an earlier release day than others, the totals added together to generate this remarkable statistic

Some saying Sony sold double the amount of MS sold already and they expect to outsell the PS4's first 5 months.

Madness tbh. This is bad though because it seems Sony don't need to offer a gamepass like MS

RasTa wrote: »
    Sales stats

Some saying Sony sold double the amount of MS sold already and they expect to outsell the PS4's first 5 months.

Madness tbh. This is bad though because it seems Sony don't need to offer a gamepass like MS

To be honest, both companies were going to sell out everything, everywhere, such is the demand.

Well, ok, maybe not Japan for Xbox.

Great that both consoles are off to a good start. Sooner they get more consoles into more homes, the sooner that next gen only games are viable.

RasTa wrote: »
    Sales stats

The stats quoted there give sales for day one of the Xbox and a week of PS5. Should they not be comparing the same time period?

Also I'm very surprised the numbers are so low. I would have thought we'd see 5m+ at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The stats quoted there give sales for day one of the Xbox and a week of PS5. Should they not be comparing the same time period?

Also I'm very surprised the numbers are so low. I would have thought we'd see 5m+ at least.

I think its that xbox had one global release date and PS5 released on two days worldwide, one week apart. I doubt it'd change the numbers too much as it seems both consoles pretty much sold out with almost no additional stock released outside of those days.

Penn wrote: »
    I think its that xbox had one global release date and PS5 released on two days worldwide, one week apart. I doubt it'd change the numbers too much as it seems both consoles pretty much sold out with almost no additional stock released outside of those days.

Not sure to be honest. I thought there'd be a lot more sales for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest. I thought there'd be a lot more sales for both.

They’ve both sold out every single unit they have.

If you expected higher numbers that might not have been possible due to manufacturing pressures this year or both companies erring on the side of caution due to COVID.

Phil Spencer said last week that the Xbox consoles only went into production late summer, well after Sony. Sony could potentially have had double or more consoles for sale than Microsoft so those numbers make sense in that context I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Also remember Sony and Msoft are really selling 2 different things (I'm excluding hardware differences as they are relatively minor).
    Sony are selling a silo'd console on the strength of it's exclusives (not a bad thing, they had some fantastic offerings last gen). Microsoft are selling a gaming eco-system anchored in game-pass, and the Xbox is just another interface to it (as is a Windows PC). They don't need to sell as many consoles as Sony for their approach to be successful so long as PC sales and pass uptake also remain strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Fair enough, but I have to say, that hasn't been my experience at all, nor has there been massive widespread reports of this happening.

It sounds more like you've got a defective box than anything else.

It is widespread, there's an IGN article herer
    I myself have experienced the issue – after playing the entirety of Legion on Xbox One without a saving issue, I switched to Series X towards its final stages. Autosave stopped working from the beginning of the final campaign mission and around an hour into the post-game. When I reloaded, my character was about to begin the final mission again, meaning about an hour and half's progress was lost.

I'm genuinely not sure if there's any examples of players who have actually been able to consistently play the game at all on Series X thanks to the game breaking issue. Which is pretty poor form for what was one of only 2 or 3 actual new games that exist and are enhanced for Series X right now (as opposed to a bunch of back catalog games that were updated)

You may say it's not a suspend resume issue, but if suspend resume worked then saving wouldn't be as much of a problem. I suspect this is why the issue is widespread on Series X and not other platforms. As for quick resume, Microsoft themselves announced that they were turning it off for nearly all Series enhanced games, so that is in no way an isolated issue or a single defective xbox either.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not sure if there's any examples of players who have actually been able to consistently play the game at all on Series X thanks to the game breaking issue. Which is pretty poor form for what was one of only 2 or 3 actual new games that exist and are enhanced for Series X right now (as opposed to a bunch of back catalog games that were updated)

You may say it's not a suspend resume issue, but if suspend resume worked then saving wouldn't be as much of a problem. I suspect this is why the issue is widespread on Series X and not other platforms. As for quick resume, Microsoft themselves announced that they were turning it off for nearly all Series enhanced games, so that is in no way an isolated issue or a single defective xbox either.

Having read up on it more, you're right, that's a seriously annoying bug. Seems to be Ubisoft messing up their save feature, which is made worse by Microsoft turning off Quick Resume for this game.

Hopefully they get it sorted soon. Hopefully early December for the patch means tomorrow.

Advertisement