Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Same with me, my console stands up and everyone I know does the same

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ok, we need a new thread with a new poll, horizontal or vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Vertical!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've both pre-ordered but will go with ps5 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

went with the full fat PS5 and a Series S as a Games Pass machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

went with the full fat PS5 and a Series S as a Games Pass machine.

This is what i've done aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is what i've done aswell

I'll probably pick up a Series S next year but not going to battle launch/Xmas rushes. Maybe towards the summer. Or I might hold off and get the Series X towards next Xmas instead. Make it an Xbox Series X Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Penn wrote: »
    I'll probably pick up a Series S next year but not going to battle launch/Xmas rushes. Maybe towards the summer. Or I might hold off and get the Series X towards next Xmas instead. Make it an Xbox Series X Xmas.

Series S is still on sale in Smyths, so I don't think anyone who wants that one will have any issue getting one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Xbox Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Horizontal 4 Lyfe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The xbox has game pass ,backward compatiblity with xbox 1 games .
    95 per cent of games will be released on both consoles, ps5, xbox ,
    so i think the new series x will be better value.
    the ps5 is very big and it looks strange.
    i see no big rush to buy any new console unless you have a 4k tv.
    I do,nt think there,ll be any good games released for either console for at least 6months from now.
    In the last 10 years its always the cheapest console that wins the console war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

riclad wrote: »
    The xbox has game pass ,backward compatiblity with xbox 1 games .
    95 per cent of games will be released on both consoles, ps5, xbox ,
    so i think the new series x will be better value.

You say this as if the PS5 doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Markitron wrote: »

It doesn't have Gamepass...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With select PS4 games. Whatever that means is yet to be seen.

Also it doesn't have Ninja Gaiden Black.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With select PS4 games. Whatever that means is yet to be seen.

Also it doesn't have Ninja Gaiden Black.

99% of games being compatible is hardly select.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Xbox has backwards compatibility with a decent chunk of games for OG Xbox and 360 + full compatibility with Xbox One. In this regard Xbox is a clear front runner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

99% of games being compatible is hardly select.

But they didn't say that. They said about 100 of the top titles.

I can guess a lot of the interesting titles won't work. Like my precious Deception 4.

Although.... there's not many interesting games on the PS4 :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But they didn't say that. They said about 100 of the top titles.

I can guess a lot of the interesting titles won't work. Like my precious Deception 4.

Although.... there's not many interesting games on the PS4 :pac:

Eh, yes they did.
    In an interview with The Washington Post, Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan said that backwards compatibility has been tested with "thousands" of games, and that most of them work. In fact, the figure he gives is "99 percent," meaning that it will be rare for a PS4 game to not work on Sony's new console.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-backwards-compatibility-sony-boss-says-99-of-ps4-games-will-work/1100-6482283/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

In fairness, while it doesn't have gamepass, the selection of high quality games you get with the PS+ collection at PS5 launch is far superior to what's available on Gamepass, even with added Bethesda.

And I just don't care about backwards compatibility with games that are two generations old - I've already got consoles that can play those games and I never bother taking them out of storage because there is far better stuff available today. I don't have enough free time to waste it playing stuff with dated UX and controls. It's a vastly overstated feature that will be forgotten about by most people a few months after launch.

I've preordered both consoles as I always do. Last three generations the Playstation has been 90% of gaming with the xbox basically being a Forza machine. With Gamepass it gets more of a look in now, but the overwhelming majority of games I'm interested in are not on gamepass and likely never will be. It is a good service for dabbling in games I normally wouldn't bother with though so it's nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, it was in Mark Cerny's dev talks in May he mentioned the top 100 were tested. I saw somthing recently that 95% or 99% of PS4 games will be playable but don't know how legit that is. Ubisoft confirmed both Division 1 and 2 will be playable on PS5 so I imagine that since Div 1 is playable, a LOT of games will be.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was in Mark Cerny's dev talks in May he mentioned the top 100 were tested. I saw somthing recently that 95% or 99% of PS4 games will be playable but don't know how legit that is. Ubisoft confirmed both Division 1 and 2 will be playable on PS5 so I imagine that since Div 1 is playable, a LOT of games will be.

Yeah I believe the comment about testing the top 100 games was in relation to how the PS5 will provide some native upscaling of those games. However 99% of the actual PS4 games will still be playable on PS5 regardless of upscaling/improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

quokula wrote: »
    In fairness, while it doesn't have gamepass, the selection of high quality games you get with the PS+ collection at PS5 launch is far superior to what's available on Gamepass, even with added Bethesda.

And I just don't care about backwards compatibility with games that are two generations old - I've already got consoles that can play those games and I never bother taking them out of storage because there is far better stuff available today. I don't have enough free time to waste it playing stuff with dated UX and controls. It's a vastly overstated feature that will be forgotten about by most people a few months after launch.

I've preordered both consoles as I always do. Last three generations the Playstation has been 90% of gaming with the xbox basically being a Forza machine. With Gamepass it gets more of a look in now, but the overwhelming majority of games I'm interested in are not on gamepass and likely never will be. It is a good service for dabbling in games I normally wouldn't bother with though so it's nice to have.

Outside of the last guardian and bloodborne there is so much more higher quality games on gamepass than what Sony is offering on Playstation + collection .
    with game pass you are being offered games across 5 generations including with the likes of Zone of the enders, rare replay , Ninja gaiden black , Panzar dragoon orta , metal gear solid hd collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Outside of the last guardian and bloodborne there is so much more higher quality games on gamepass than what Sony is offering on Playstation + collection .
    with game pass you are being offered games across 5 generations including with the likes of Zone of the enders, rare replay , Ninja gaiden black , Panzar dragoon orta , metal gear solid hd collection.

Personally I'd take stuff you didn't mention like Persona 5, The Last of Us or Uncharted over a bunch of really old games that you could probably pick up to own for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gamepass makes the decision for me. Both boxes are €500, one will cost me €80 a game, one will cost me €12.99 a month for a hundred games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

quokula wrote: »
    Personally I'd take stuff you didn't mention like Persona 5, The Last of Us or Uncharted over a bunch of really old games that you could probably pick up to own for next to nothing.

There are over 200 games on GamePass, including all Microsoft published releases, a lot of big indie games like Hollow Knight and Untitled Goose Game, and a few of the third party titles also on PS Plus Collection, like RE7 and Arkham Knight.

The PS Plus Collection is so far under 20 games, mostly stuff people already played if they had a PS4. Persona 5 isn't even the Royal one.

There are over 200 games on GamePass, including all Microsoft published releases, a lot of big indie games like Hollow Knight and Untitled Goose Game, and a few of the third party titles also on PS Plus Collection, like RE7 and Arkham Knight.

The PS Plus Collection is so far under 20 games, mostly stuff people already played if they had a PS4. Persona 5 isn't even the Royal one.

But you're not really comparing like for like, as PS Now is the alternative to Gamepass, not the PS Plus Collection. PS Now also has Hollow Knight, RE7, Arkham Knight.

Don't get me wrong, Gamepass still beats PS Now and PS+ Collection combined. But PS Now does have over 700 games from the back catalogue. It doesn't have everything, and is probably even missing a lot of big-hitters. And Sony definitely need to improve PS Now even if they're not going to be matching what MS offer with Gamepass (first party games free at launch). But comparing Gamepass to the PS Plus Collection is apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

MGS hd is gone. Orta is going and one RareReplay is going too. Ninja Gaiden Black and Zone of the enders aren't on there, maybe they left already. This is the downside of GamePass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The PS plus collection isn’t Sony’s answer to Gamepass so probably unfair to compare the two.

I think they’ll end up merging the PS + and PSNow into a single subscription and you’d have something more comparable - I think gamepass will be more comprehensive and will still offer better value but you’ll still have access to hundreds of old games on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

MGS hd is gone. Orta is going and one RareReplay is going too. Ninja Gaiden Black and Zone of the enders aren't on there, maybe they left already. This is the downside of GamePass.

But they were on it.
    Games leave PS Now too. Just the nature of deals.

Would be handy to have a site or app that tells you when and what are leaving soon actually. Least gamepass has a section for that. Ps now has nothing. Just have to individually check games.

• Advertisement

But they were on it.
    Games leave PS Now too. Just the nature of deals.

Would be handy to have a site or app that tells you when and what are leaving soon actually. Least gamepass has a section for that. Ps now has nothing. Just have to individually check games.

I really must actually check out PS Now. I've never taken too deep a look into what games are on it. Maybe it's just constantly been in my head that "It's not Gamepass..."

Advertisement