Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Seems GameStop are doing a discounted Cyberpunk for anyone with a next gen order.

images_IE_CYBERPUNK-PO_04.jpg

Be nice if Smyths did something similar, would save me €15

If they bought in the last six months since this thing started, that's kind of on them...

That thread is ****ing crazy, there are basically 2 types of people in it:

Type A: They just bought a house for 500k in Glasnevin, its actually in the middle of Finglas, but they call it Glasnevin to justify the crazy amount that they spent. The recession is a conspiracy theory made up by British agents to eventually force us back into the union. House prices are going up to the point that no one except Bezos will be able to afford one after 2022, even then, he will probably have to settle for outside the M50.

Type B: They are living in their ma's boxroom while saving their deposit. This is going to be the worst recession of all time and in 3-6 months, Ireland will resemble a Warsaw pact country at the height of Soviet oppression. The house prices are going through the floor even worse than in 2009 and they are buying Enya's castle in Killiney with enough leftover for an apartment in the docklands.

Type A and B are constantly angry with each other and it frequently gets unpleasant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should read the thread about the bubble about to burst dating back to before the celtic tiger crash. It's like a lesson in humility.

Anyway the smug people thinking they can wait for a recession and going to get a harsh lesson in economics if the prices of houses do fall and they then find out the banks won't want to give them a mortgage.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should read the thread about the bubble about to burst dating back to before the celtic tiger crash. It's like a lesson in humility.

Anyway the smug people thinking they can wait for a recession and going to get a harsh lesson in economics if the prices of houses do fall and they then find out the banks won't want to give them a mortgage.

I actually had a quick look for such a thread for a laugh but didn't find it. Don't suppose you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I remember there was lots of people trying to convince themselves it was going to be a soft landing - people not realising that a global crash was going to take us out and that Irish Banks were so exposed because of the reckless lending they all indulged in trying to match the unreal profits Anglo were producing at the time. I do remember the house two doors down from us selling in 2007 for twice what we paid for it 4 years previously with the couple rocking up in a brand new Lancer most likely put on the mortgage and thinking there was no way it could last.

I genuinely don't think we're as badly exposed this time around and banks are being extraordinarily cautious in terms of the approach to the housing market but I suppose never say never.

Anyway, can't wait to buy Property Market Simulator 2021 on the PS5...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I actually had a quick look for such a thread for a laugh but didn't find it. Don't suppose you have a link?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055033806

Lots of finger in the ears lalalalala going on.

To be fair was hard to see what was coming and how hard it would hit us but if anyone had studied the japanese economy going bust in the 90's they'd see it coming a mile off.

Of course hard to listen to and take serious when the pints, champagne, cigars and cocaine were free flowing and you were getting stupid bonuses every year.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055033806

Lots of finger in the ears lalalalala going on.

To be fair was hard to see what was coming and how hard it would hit us but if anyone had studied the japanese economy going bust in the 90's they'd see it coming a mile off.

Of course hard to listen to and take serious when the pints, champagne, cigars and cocaine were free flowing and you were getting stupid bonuses every year.

Cheers for the link. yea I spent pretty much the entirety of the boom in secondary school and college, got out just as everything went to ****. I remember there were lads going to work for AIB/BOI straight from leaving cert on stupid money.

Cheers for the link. yea I spent pretty much the entirety of the boom in secondary school and college, got out just as everything went to ****. I remember there were lads going to work for AIB/BOI straight from leaving cert on stupid money.

Awful years for me as well. Spent the boom in college and then went straight to a PhD. Finished that right at the height of the recession. All that time in college wasted. Couldn't get a job because I was too highly qualified but if I'd come straight from a degree there were plenty of jobs. Retrained making videogames. Then was getting loads of job offers there but only for positions where they couldn't pay from companies with no games under their belt yet I'd a published game on my own CV.

Worked out in the end and ended up back where I originally trained for and worked my way back up but was pretty soul destroying for a while.

Oh yeah.... the PS5 :)

Awful years for me as well. Spent the boom in college and then went straight to a PhD. Finished that right at the height of the recession. All that time in college wasted. Couldn't get a job because I was too highly qualified but if I'd come straight from a degree there were plenty of jobs. Retrained making videogames. Then was getting loads of job offers there but only for positions where they couldn't pay from companies with no games under their belt yet I'd a published game on my own CV.

Worked out in the end and ended up back where I originally trained for and worked my way back up but was pretty soul destroying for a while.

Oh yeah.... the PS5 :)

Aside from the retraining part, that is almost identical to my story. I remember seeing ads for Job bridge schemes requiring a ****ing PhD. Dark times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I can't get over the size of the PS5 in that breakdown video. Compared to say the Switch. There must be some shame felt in Japan at this design? It looks like a PC

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I can't get over the size of the PS5 in that breakdown video. Compared to say the Switch. There must be some shame felt in Japan at this design? It looks like a PC

Why would you compare a high-end 2020 console with a 2017 handheld?

Why would you compare a high-end 2020 console with a 2017 handheld?

Because it's a strange console for a japanese company to make. The Switch is perfectly designed for the japanese home where space is at an absolute premium. The PS5 on the other hand, japanese people will seriously be looking at this and considering if they have room to fit it into their tiny apartment. It was a big reason for the relative failure of the PS3 over there.

I pretty much think the reason it's so big is that the hardware development has now moved to America where those concerns aren't an issue. It can be downsized later but the concern is to match the XBox. Japan's home console market is quite small now compared to PS2 games and the Switch and Mobile are dominating that market as they are a much better fit for it.

It's huge because people said they wanted a quiet console. So that's what you get. Maybe the designers were bollocked over the noise of PS4 Pro because it's almost sarcastically large. I have no doubt it will be very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's huge because people said they wanted a quiet console. So that's what you get. Maybe the designers were bollocked over the noise of PS4 Pro because it's almost sarcastically large. I have no doubt it will be very quiet.

Using high quality fans make something quiet not making the box massive.

You can pop a 2080Ti, PSU, MB, CPU, Cooler and Ram in a small form factor case and they can be near silent and not overheat.

Something like this caught my eye

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thorzone/mjolnir-the-minimalistic-but-not-boring-pc-case?ref=project_link

It's the nature of console design. It's running on chips that were finalised over a year ago maybe 2 years to be competitive at launch. Meaning they were powerful but inefficient then. Comparing them to current mature pc hardware isn't fair. Also bigger fans make less noise.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Using high quality fans make something quiet not making the box massive.
    I agree with you, I said as much previously. There are simple ways of making something quiet and Sony have gone for a risky and (imo) over-engineered solution.

Nevertheless, that's the reason it is huge, from Sony's perspective. The white panels are the system putting it's elbows out to reserve space around it. The optical drive is thicker due to anti-vibration mounts.

The heatsink takes up a lot of the floorplan due to the extra fin section, that and seems to be a major culprit because it has restricted how neatly the other components fit togther. You look at a picture like this and it is obvious how much empty space is inside the system:
    ps5-teardown-ssd-storage-upgrade-1.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=834

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With only a month to go to the launch of the Series X/S, I have to admit that I'm looking forward to it now, more than I thought that I would.

Anyway, Sony have detailed their BC plans.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1314630796641210373

Great to see, but I'm going to miss all those weirdos going around the internet telling everyone that "PS5 BC will only have support for 100 games!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd still like to know exactly which PS4 games will take advantage of Game Boost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd still like to know exactly which PS4 games will take advantage of Game Boost though.
    Ghost of Tsushima is the only I know of so far
    https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/1314641549406265346?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ghost of Tsushima is the only I know of so far
    https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/1314641549406265346?s=19

Yeah, I thought we'd have seen more announcements by now. Having all the PS Plus Collection games benefit from Game Boost would have been a great marketing ploy - the best games of PS4, better than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought we'd have seen more announcements by now. Having all the PS Plus Collection games benefit from Game Boost would have been a great marketing ploy - the best games of PS4, better than ever.

I'm still hoping that's the case particularly for Bloodborne, Days Gone and God of War boosts.

Bloodborne is the only one that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Days Gone is the only one that matters.

Ah Bloodborne is alright as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

The PS5 breakdown ... Has everything including the kitchen sink in there. Was expecting to see him pull a hamster on a wheel out of it. I think it looks yuck compared to new Xbox internal and external designs. I suppose you could put it next to the tumble dryer in the utility room :) Hopefully it's quiet and cool.

PS4 pro was ugly and noisy too but none of that seemed to hit sales at all. Still, made me get an Xbox one x which is quiet and subtle. Definitely would think about PS5 if it's quiet and has good backward compatibility cause there's quite a few PS games I'd like to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Retr0gamer wrote:

Would that not require some backend work to get it stable though,maybe they did it while working on the bloodborne pc port:-)

daheadonu wrote: »
    Would that not require some backend work to get it stable though,maybe they did it while working on the bloodborne pc port:-)

Who cares as long as it's 60 FPS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone getting both, at least they get an extra week to play around with the X/S before the PS5 gets released

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's 60 fps Bloodbourne on a PS4 Pro Retro, thought you might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

FROM Software games always seem to have issues with 60fps, I remember having to use the 60fps unlock option for DS1 on PC

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    FROM Software games always seem to have issues with 60fps, I remember having to use the 60fps unlock option for DS1 on PC

For console peons. I've been enjoying 60 FPS goodness since Dark Souls 2

Advertisement