Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 5G

• 09-09-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Keep on getting very fluffy replies from Three about 5G coverage, anyone got any insight, specifically Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I don't think they've rolled 5G out yet on Three. Last time I asked I was told it was months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Android to Mobiles

I think Three will have it launched before year end, but will be targeted more at business than consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I presume that whilst business targeted consumers will have access ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its already deployed. Three are changing vendor which makes it a bigger job for them doing upgrades. Cork is a long way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Cork981

Three have a lot of 5G NR sites deployed in Cork already just not active yet.

Have a look at https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

An example of a 5G NR deployment in Blackpool is at siteID CK0597

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/CK0597/51.9165158093/-8.4696108313/1/Site CK0597

These sites are deployed with 100mhz of 5G capacity and with upgraded 4G with 3 carrier aggregation (1800,2100 and 800mhz)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id better eat my hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Keep on getting very fluffy replies from Three about 5G coverage, anyone got any insight, specifically Cork City

I am roaming in Cork at the moment, with a 5G phone.

The poorest 5G coverage in Cork (in terms of geographic area) is Vodafone. There is 5G in Patrick Street and a few other streets on Voda. Period.

The second best in terms of coverage is 5G on Eir. Works out of town - eg Sunday's Well, Bishopstown, Rochestown etc

Three, a network which I regard as having had appalling call quality on national, European and international calls in the past, has the best 5G geographic coverage. Three just appeared in 5G land over the past few days. Works in Blarney to Cobh to Bishopstown, most of the northside and sort of most of the south side, down to Carrigaline and Ringaskiddy. Garryvoe and Bandon etc.

Aside from Vodafone, the other two have exceeded expectations in terms of coverage in my view.

Ireland is not Monaco which has had almost 100% 5G from the start as first 5G in Europe. Two Irish networks are getting there. If Comreg was awake, they would re-auction Voda's spectrum to a new operator. Malta has dumped Vodafone and Monaco Telecom is taking over the Vodafone bandwidth to provide a Monaco like service. Since the takeover, the Voda policy of no 5G in Malta is no longer and 5G abounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Don't know but 4g is shocking lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Don't know but 4g is shocking lately.

Which network do you refer to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

three's 5G map shows it as available in my area of Cobh , but when I check out with the eircode computer says NO :confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Tony H wrote: »
    three's 5G map shows it as available in my area of Cobh , but when I check out with the eircode computer says NO :confused: .
    so I got a 5g phone and looks like there's only one 5g mast in Cobh and that's on the top of Ticknock hill ,great speeds near the mast so hopefully the other side where I live will be upgraded soon .

here's a speed test from yesterday under the mast ,that speed is MB/s

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6yS2kPr4bQf8S5q5A

Advertisement