Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you feed you dog chicken bones?

• 09-09-2020 6:29pm

Have heard different opinions on this. What is the general consenus, do you/would you feed you dog chicken bones? If you do is there a minimum age to start from?

Do you feed your dog chicken bones 63 votes

Yes I feed my dog chicken bones
    87% 55 votes
    No I do not feed my dog chicken bones
    12% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

No bones what so ever. She'd choke on fresh air my one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

No chicken bones as they break up too easily.

The bone from a leg of lamb is fine though and they'd be chewing on that for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is really no need for a poll on this.

Chicken bones are bad news for dogs.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/what-to-do-dog-eats-chicken-bone/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Are we talking cooked bones or raw here?
    I would never feed cooked chicken bones to my dog, but do sometimes give her raw wings or drumsticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Cooked are dangerous, raw are OK but I still wouldn't feed her them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yes raw chicken bones are fine. Nice and soft and fed all the time here. Cooked bones of any kind can splinter so avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Hooked

tk123 wrote: »
    Yes raw chicken bones are fine. Nice and soft and fed all the time here. Cooked bones of any kind can splinter so avoid.

This

Whatever about feeding raw chicken to dogs the poll as constituted is misleading.

It only gives two options, either feed chicken bones or not, no mention of cooked or raw.

(who has raw chicken bones to dispose of anyway, not in my kitchen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

brenbrady wrote: »
    Have heard different opinions on this. What is the general consenus, do you/would you feed you dog chicken bones? If you do is there a minimum age to start from?

Cooked or raw? Both very different things... def not for any cooked bones ... raw yes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My dogs had raw chicken joints every day as my cats do now. Never a bother. And they love them and have excellent teeth.

And yes, the survey title needs correcting. NEVER cooked bones of any kind..

NB oldest cat is over 16 and had enjoyed raw chicken bones and all his whole life.

If eg a critter catches a rabbit, it is not going to fillet it or leave the bones behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Raw yes, wings only, as they are small dogs. Cooked NO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's been a while since I've had a dog but was always under the impression that chicken was a big no no for them as the bones are too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Seamai wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've had a dog but was always under the impression that chicken was a big no no for them as the bones are too small.

We have yorkie x and a Pom x, both under 5kg so the raw chicken wings are good size also they only get them after a full meal and don’t rush when eating... it’s a slow snack...nom nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Raw bones are perfectly fine. But never cooked bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Our 2 dogs, Labrador and Jack Russell have been eating every sort of a bone for years, no problems. What else would anyone do with the leftover food? And the cats also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Chicken bones are lethal for dogs.they splinter into sharp shards.
    Also the elastic string that does be around a chicken to keep it together when cooking is v dangerous if you forget it and the dog eats it with the scrap meat

Chicken bones are lethal for dogs.they splinter into sharp shards.
    Also the elastic string that does be around a chicken to keep it together when cooking is v dangerous if you forget it and the dog eats it with the scrap meat

Cooked bones are lethal.. raw chicken bones are very soft and don’t splinter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

elperello wrote: »
    Whatever about feeding raw chicken to dogs the poll as constituted is misleading.

It only gives two options, either feed chicken bones or not, no mention of cooked or raw.

(who has raw chicken bones to dispose of anyway, not in my kitchen)

I'm happy to cut the tips and second joint of wing away for the dog before roasting a chicken. She's part of the family and entitled to her portion. It's good for her and helps with her glands as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Used to give cooked chicken bones to a shih tzu all the time. I always thought it was on old wives tale about not giving them to dogs. The €90 the vet charged to remove one from her throat proved just how wrong I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Used to give cooked chicken bones to a shih tzu all the time. I always thought it was on old wives tale about not giving them to dogs. The €90 the vet charged to remove one from her throat proved just how wrong I was.

Hmm. So the financial hit to your pocket rather than the trauma to your little dog is what convinced you? The vet's bill seems really low. I'd have charged for pain and suffering and for not listening to advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I don't know. Our Labrador is about 10 now. I didn't even know she shouldn't have been eating chicken bones. She has some amount of them ate at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

No cooked bones as they splinter. But ours are raw fed so bone makes up part of their meals(mixed through the raw minced meat and offal). They would have raw chicken wings/necks and duck necks from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Cooked chicken carcasses the whole time, she loves them, leaves the rib cage though, shes not into that.

Never been an issue with any dog Ive ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Raw is fine, cooked are extremely dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A few times my Sheltie has stolen leftovers from kfc. Most of the time I get most of it from him but a few times he’s eaten part of a carcass before I get to him. I’m always extremely worried when this happens and watch him closely for a few days. He always goes for the chicken bones rather than anything else that’s in the bag. I’m a bit shocked to see people deliberately feeding their dogs cooked chicken bones here. The risk of them splintering or compaction is so high you really shouldn’t give it to them.

Is this in some sort of dog medical journal or is it just made up old wives tales?

Never an issue, do we find millions of rats dead in the dumps every year with exploded chicken bones in their bellies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My friend used to feed his dog chicken bones. Can't remember the bred. Possibly a big boxer of some kind. He always said he'd no worries about it. Big dog with huge muscles & Jaws. There wasn't much he couldn't snap & eat. We were only talking about the dog a few weeks ago. Dog is dead a decade or more now but I only found out it was a chicken bone that did it. A piece of bone lodged in his throat and puncherd something. He died a few hours later.

If you simply google cooked bones for dogs you will get thousands of hits from vets, medical websites, SPCA’s and dog registries around the world with the same advice. It is a very well known medical fact that cooked bones are extremely dangerous for dogs.

• Advertisement

If you simply google cooked bones for dogs you will get thousands of hits from vets, medical websites, SPCA’s and dog registries around the world with the same advice. It is a very well known medical fact that cooked bones are extremely dangerous for dogs.

Let this be the take away fact from the thread.

Also as I mentioned before the poll is misleading.

It is showing 27% saying they feed chicken bones to dogs. It makes no mention of cooked/raw.

Anyone just looking at the poll and not reading the posts might come away with the wrong idea.

Please delete or amend the poll for the sake of the dogs.

Ah I dont know, I dont really trust vets, I think they are grand.

You are the one who asked for medical evidence. I can only conclude that you do not want to admit you are in the wrong on this occasion.

American Kennel Club who know a thing or two about dogs.

Cooked chicken bones can break and splinter, which can cause your dog to choke and can also puncture the gastrointestinal tract, or get caught in his throat. This is extremely painful to your dog and can potentially lead to death.Jun 22, 2017

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/what-to-do-dog-eats-chicken-bone/#:~:text=Cooked%20chicken%20bones%20can%20break,can%20potentially%20lead%20to%20death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I dont as I have a small dog, when I had a large Malamute I used to feed it a full chicken quarter every day and he had no problems but never give cooked bones, they are a chocking hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭beachhead

Wondering if I am on a real planet tonight.Cats not dogs should never be fed chicken bones.Must say little dinky pocket dogs can't cope with bones of any kind unless doggy treats in a packet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

twiglet24 wrote: »
    Are we talking cooked bones or raw here?
    I would never feed cooked chicken bones to my dog, but do sometimes give her raw wings or drumsticks.

there is a little ling sharp bone on drumsticks like a needle, if you are going give him drumsticks you have to remove them

there is a little ling sharp bone on drumsticks like a needle, if you are going give him drumsticks you have to remove them

You don’t have to remove it - it gets chomped up like any other bone

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

I have been feeding the cooked carcasses of at least 2 chickens a week to my dogs for 50 + years without any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Fed my puppy cooked chicken bones. Stupidly didn’t realise it was dangerous until she started whining. Googled it and started panicking. Was too late for vet so ended up not sleeping a wink beside her for the night. Vet said she was ok the next day but definitely learned my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tangleytuftles

Raw chicken bones are soft and spongey and I have a dog who thoroughly chews. That plus he can't tolerate cooked chicken. He does just fine.

• Advertisement

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Fed my puppy cooked chicken bones. Stupidly didn’t realise it was dangerous until she started whining. Googled it and started panicking. Was too late for vet so ended up not sleeping a wink beside her for the night. Vet said she was ok the next day but definitely learned my lesson.

So nothing happened?

So nothing happened?

The dog was whining, so clearly uncomfortable. Just because the dog didn't end up needing medical attention doesn't mean that everything was OK, just means they had a lucky escape. The owner has clearly learned something from this experience and has changed their opinion on feeding cooked chicken bones.
    If you run out in front of a car a few times but luckily aren't hit doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep behaving in such a way, eventually you will get hurt.
    Cooked bones become brittle and splinter. They are dangerous to feed.

Bells21 wrote: »
    The dog was whining, so clearly uncomfortable. Just because the dog didn't end up needing medical attention doesn't mean that everything was OK, just means they had a lucky escape. The owner has clearly learned something from this experience and has changed their opinion on feeding cooked chicken bones.
    If you run out in front of a car a few times but luckily aren't hit doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep behaving in such a way, eventually you will get hurt.
    Cooked bones become brittle and splinter. They are dangerous to feed.

But my dog loves them, ate a chicken leg a half hour ago. Delighted she was. I cant take that away from her because somebody on the internet had nothing happen to their dog before.

But my dog loves them, ate a chicken leg a half hour ago. Delighted she was. I cant take that away from her because somebody on the internet had nothing happen to their dog before.

Perhaps you will take this into account.

Cooked chicken bones can break and splinter, which can cause your dog to choke and can also puncture the gastrointestinal tract, or get caught in his throat. This is extremely painful to your dog and can potentially lead to death.Jun 22, 2017

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...d%20to%20death.

I posted it in reply to you a week ago and you ignored it.

My dog would eat slugs and snails given half a chance. You could say she loves them. However, I've done my research and realise that they can cause issues so I prevent her from having them.
    A quick check would lead you to many articles relating to issues caused by feeding cooked chicken bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fussy wee Xxxx wouldn't eat them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Don’t ever give a dog a cooked bone. No exceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

elperello wrote: »
    Perhaps you will take this into account.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...d%20to%20death.

I posted it in reply to you a week ago and you ignored it.

Don't bother, he knows better even though all evidence is to the contrary. People with limited understanding shouldn't own pets.

Had it at work with people bragging about giving their dog chocolate and when I said it was bad for them I was the worst.

Have been in houses where people strangle their cats hugging them or staring at the cat inches away and wonder why the cat scrapes them. Staring like that to a human is threatening enough but a declaration of war to a cat.

Don't bother, he knows better even though all evidence is to the contrary. People with limited understanding shouldn't own pets.

I have more than one and a dog, what should I do with them? Who should I give them to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No way would I give my dogs cooked chicken bones. They do love chicken do and the grizzle too. I have given them cooked Lamb and Steak bones do and they love them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement