Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Upgrade

Options
  • 09-09-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Yeah yeah yeah I know these threads happen all the time. Thinking of upgrading and looking for any suggestions. Don't race, not in a club, this is just for pleasure (long spins), sportifs and maybe an Ironman in the future. Current bike is Canyon CF 2018 with 105. Absolutely love it, but now having disc brakes on my commuter makes me want a road bike with disc brakes. Probably sell existing bike to fund part of this.

Want: Carbon, internal cables (maybe that's a given with carbon?), 105 or greater, hydraulic disc brakes, don't care too much about wheels but the more bulletproof the better.
    Nice to have: If I could find an absolute bargain on Di2 I'd give it a go! :)

Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 is the obvious choice that jumps out at around € 2,150 delivered. Last two bikes are Canyon and I know them well. Seems like a safe bet but wonder if I'm missing out on anything.

Apart from Rose, is anything else going to come close to this pricepoint with similar spec?
    Are there unlikely to be bargains to be had end of season given how much demand there has been for bikes this year?
    Are you ever likely to come across electronic shifting sub € 3K?

Budget I guess max I was hoping is €2-2.3K (incl selling my current bike) and I'm 186cm in case anyone has come across any bargains!

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Electronic shifting and discs under 3k is very tough. When I was looking the best value in that spec was the Canyon Ultimate. Otherwise maybe Vitus or some lesser known brands could possibly be picked up under 3000 in a sale.

The mechanical Ultegra Ultimate with discs went down to 2300 in a sale which is fantastic value.

I'd shop around to find something in an online sale if you are planning to buy online anyway and if not go for the Canyon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Electronic shifting and discs under 3k is very tough. When I was looking the best value in that spec was the Canyon Ultimate. Otherwise maybe Vitus or some lesser known brands could possibly be picked up under 3000 in a sale.

The mechanical Ultegra Ultimate with discs went down to 2300 in a sale which is fantastic value.

I'd shop around to find something in an online sale if you are planning to buy online anyway and if not go for the Canyon
    Nice one thanks will keep an eye out! I see Canyon have a sale on now but nothing that matches what I'm looking for. Liking the look of the Giant Defy Advanced 2 and will keep hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looks lovely but a bit above planned spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

New vitus vitesse 105
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2021-vitus-vitesse-evo/
    Under 8kg 105 disc circa 2000

Tony04 wrote: »
    New vitus vitesse 105

Same frameset as ridden by their pros much better quality than the boardman

Tony04 wrote: »
    New vitus vitesse 105
    Thanks. I actually like the look of that, but the reviews all describe it as race-y and maybe less of an all day bike. I have always by default picked bikes that talk about relaxed geometry or endurance rather than having words like stiff in the description. I wonder is it really that big a difference?

Racy doesnt mean aero race bike, the vitesse is an all rounder. You wouldnt really be calling an aero bike "racy".

I guess all rounder is a bit vague like you could call an all rounder a bike for racing and training or something that can ride gravel and would be your go to for riding boreens in winter, the vitesse would be on the racy side of that. If you want something that could do gravel and would be good for winter id look at the merida scultura endurance/ giant defy advanced, but theyd weigh a fair chunk more.

The vitesse at its stated weight stands out from its competition. Which would be the likes of giant tcr canyon ultimate etc.

I have the old model vitesse and its a perfectly good bike

g0g wrote: »
    I have always by default picked bikes that talk about relaxed geometry or endurance rather than having words like stiff in the description. I wonder is it really that big a difference?

Never judge a bike by its marketing and, take it with a pinch of salt just beacuse you dont want an aero bike doesnt mean you want an endurance bike either, sure the endurance bike is probably going to be better for endurance but the biggest difference is probably tyre clearance, maybe on a 100k winter ride youll be grateful the little extra flex of an endurance bike and only in a 60k sprint would you benefit from the extra watts saved by an aero bike.

Stiffness doesnt exactly mean lack of comfort, carbon fibre layup allows areas that need to be stiff like the bb be stiff while areas like the seat stays are really thin to add flex and comfort. If a bike is stiff and aero it is probably going to be a little less comfartable as wider tube profiles are stiffer and also the tubes an aero bike are usally joined in a stiffer manner

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the advice. Kinda tempted to check out the Cube being recommended on the other decision thread! Will continue research....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Vitus Zenium CRI now for €2.5k delivered with Ultegra di2 and discs and it has the longer cage RD.

That’s pretty good value in a new bike. I’ve seen the paint quality on these and it is very good.

In more popular brands you’re looking at second hand in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Had a more racy bike in the past but was never going to race , went for a giant defy advanced recently haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im in the market too and had been eyeing up the 2020 Vitus Vitesse - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-crs-di2-road-bike-ultegra-2020/rp-prod183343

Makes sense now why such a discount going! With the Bike2Work im still tempted!

If i was going for di2 id buy that 2020 vittesse, lighter than the cube better farme than the zenium.

Merida scultura endurance is an alternative to defy of you want to go down the endurance route

Thanks all for the advice. Had a test spin on the Cube C:62 SL in CSS today and absolutely loved it. Put down a refundable deposit to have a further think and they're building a new one. Thanks to the person on other thread who mentioned VIP discount. Only € 18 to join Cycling Ireland at this stage of the year and you get €20 CSS voucher as well as the 12.5% discount!

Advertisement