Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    That's complete mis-information about stock. Smyths had to make a press release to confirm there is plenty of stock. You do know that firstly stock is bought MONTHS in advance of the busy season and secondly supply chain is still open in lockdown.

Please don't buy into the scaremongering from the FB experts, who said Mary down the road, well her daughter's next door neighbours cousin through marriage said that the toy shop have no stock.

Unnecessarily scaremongering only puts pressure on people who are already in pressurised times.

And just to add, EVERY year there are items that are high in popularity & are hard to get anyway, this year it happens to be the PS5 thats the big ticket item, which with or without Covid 19 was going to have supply & demand issues, so as Loughc said there's no need to exacerbate the social media hysteria, Smyths have already clearly said that supply on 99% of items is not an issue & their online ordering, click & collect & delivery services will remain operational during the current level 5 restrictions. I'm sure there will be supply & demand around other popular items but the vast majority of people will te what they need.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    And just to add, EVERY year there are items that are high in popularity & are hard to get anyway, this year it happens to be the PS5 thats the big ticket item, which with or without Covid 19 was going to have supply & demand issues, so as Loughc said there's no need to exacerbate the social media hysteria, Smyths have already clearly said that supply on 99% of items is not an issue & their online ordering, click & collect & delivery services will remain operational during the current level 5 restrictions. I'm sure there will be supply & demand around other popular items but the vast majority of people will te what they need.

And it's important to remember cause people are shopping earlier it actually gives retailers more time to order more stock in, so the popular toys won't be as hard to get this year, well except the ps5 but that's Sony's decision to run with limited stock at the start to drive up demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bikes seem to be big this year as well, very hard to get (at the minute, I'm sure most/all places will have more stock before Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Yes Barbie Benetton was in demand the year I asked for her, I asked for Christie but got Teresa, Christie was no where to be got we still laugh about it :D

Teresa had amazing hair and a faux fur coat

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/534098837032162658/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement

I’m a celeb returns November 15th. Essential Christmas buildup tv.

We (mainly me!) have decided to come in from the dark ages and get a Smart TV! Hopefully going to get a deal on Black Friday. My plan is to get into these Christmas movies/shows on Netflixs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

TRS30 wrote: »
    We (mainly me!) have decided to come in from the dark ages and get a Smart TV! Hopefully going to get a deal on Black Friday. My plan is to get into these Christmas movies/shows on Netflixs :)

I was debating doing the same thing the other week but got an Nvidia Shield instead. It's a media player that works on Android and you can have Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Youtube etc on it.
    My main reason was a lot of smart TVs seem to have issues with apps after a few years whereas with this, it should keep going for a good while.
    You can even load Spotify onto it and play your Christmas playlists on the TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

We refuse to get a smart TV after a pal who works in security put us off them for life. At least don't get one the 'learns' or has a camera.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    We refuse to get a smart TV after a pal who works in security put us off them for life. At least don't get one the 'learns' or has a camera.

Pretty sure I mentioned on here before that have had a couple of incidents with talking about a very specific thing with OH and then ads for it coming up on social media!!

Have heard things about Alexa as well. Never heard about smart TVs!! Dont plan on getting one with a camera, not sure how you know if it 'learns' or not. Is it on the box??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a smart TV, it's great. It is so handy for Netflix, too.

There is no camera though- I want to watch TV, not be on the TV! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I have a smart TV, it's great. It is so handy for Netflix, too.

There is no camera though- I want to watch TV, not be on the TV! :pac:

Same. Wouldn't buy anything else nowadays.

Don't think i've ever seen one with a camera, but wouldnt be keen on them either if that was an option. Even my webcam for my home office has a little sliding screen (that has to be physically moved over the lens) when not in use so no one can hack in for a peek or suchlike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Same. Wouldn't buy anything else nowadays.

Don't think i've ever seen one with a camera, but wouldnt be keen on them either if that was an option. Even my webcam for my home office has a little sliding screen (that has to be physically moved over the lens) when not in use so no one can hack in for a peek or suchlike.

Mine, is a little less fancy. I have some black tape over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Love the smart tv, everything on the one remote. Of course if we lose that then we're fecked.
    Very techy house here but we draw the line at Alexa. Google already fires ads at me about anything I've ever even glanced at.

Does the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have an android tv tiny box thing for all our TV, Sky, Catch up recording etc. We also have apple tv box with Netflix and prime apps on it. I have an 'old' Sony 55 inch which was top of the range back in the day. Doesn't miss a beat.

We put it on the wall as the youngest took a liking. It weighs a flipping ton.

ITV have released their Christmas lineup and specials.

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/sites/default/files/itv_christmas_-_winter_brochure.pdf

A few decent things but mostly usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ITV have released their Christmas lineup and specials.
    https://www.itv.com/presscentre/sites/default/files/itv_christmas_-_winter_brochure.pdf
    A few decent things but mostly usual stuff.

Gordon, Gino and Fred: Desperately Seeking Santa
    I look forward to watching this while not entirely sober...

Important to watch Simply Raymond Blanc while not hungry.

25% of shows appear to be related to the Chase!

James Martin pops up on Christmas Day but otherwise the days scripted specials e.g Downton Abbey or Victoria christmas specials seem to be gone.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Me too. :D

• Advertisement

I feel like this is a lie.

Let’s face it, it’s been a difficult year, unlike any other, so we’ve pulled out all the stops this Christmas to keep people entertained and bring comfort and joy when we need it most, with a range of unmissable programmes across our channels and BBC iPlayer.
    — Charlotte Moore

I feel like this is a lie.

For second there I thought that statement was aimed back at me!!:eek:

I was getting all set for a bull & cow :D

Glanced through the article, nothing of real interest other than call the midwife stood out for me.

For second there I thought that statement was aimed back at me!!:eek:

I was getting all set for a bull & cow :D

Glanced through the article, nothing of real interest other than call the midwife stood out for me.

No you’re fine it’s Charlotte who’s the liar haha.

There’s nothing good in the lineup. Pulling out all the stops me hole.

Just finished watching the bake off final and have to admit I had a little tear with the bits at the end... this year is really messing with my emotions.... and i love that show, its such happy tv for me.

Just finished watching the bake off final and have to admit I had a little tear with the bits at the end... this year is really messing with my emotions.... and i love that show, its such happy tv for me.

Same. I’ve said it before and I’ll proudly say it again I will be an emotional wreck this Christmas. First stop on the emotioncoaster will be the toy show me thinks.

Same. I’ve said it before and I’ll proudly say it again I will be an emotional wreck this Christmas. First stop on the emotioncoaster will be the toy show me thinks.

Gas, we were just saying that, fully expect it to have a few tear inducing moments!

Fred Claus is on RTE One this Saturday 6.30pm.

Perfect type of film to kick start the season with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I just finished it and I was exactly the same. That little squishy at the end! Mine is two since October and demanded to go to the toilet tonight!! Looks like potty training is now on my christmas agenda :eek::D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Toy show Friday, Christmas FM proper launch and Fred Claus Saturday.......it’s beginning to look a lot.....

Advertisement