Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

poisonated wrote: »
    I think they should lockdown dublin 15.

for sure and have immigration control on standby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You need to do your own lockdown don't go into indoor venues unless they bring clean air from outside. Wear mask and gloves and eye protection like face shield. Your biggest danger is when your eating and can't wear a mask. Try and get n95 mask and hand sanitizer. Move away from people coughing or people not wearing mask or masks they have on with nose exposed. Take
    vitiman d. You want to put off getting covid as long as possible as they learn to fight it. St a wedding the other day in America 250 guests and 70 got covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

for sure and have immigration control on standby

picard_facepalm.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bobbyy gee wrote:
    You need to do your own lockdown don't go into indoor venues unless they bring clean air from outside. Wear mask and gloves and eye protection like face shield. Your biggest danger is when your eating and can't wear a mask. Try and get n95 mask and hand sanitizer. Move away from people coughing or people not wearing mask or masks they have on with nose exposed. Take vitiman d. You want to put off getting covid as long as possible as they learn to fight it. St a wedding the other day in America 250 guests and 70 got covid.

Making America great again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I can see a january lockdown. Cant keep people away from families over christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

There seems to be an quick rise in cases in Dublin South West, also a high number in Dublin North West - maybe extra focus in these areas, but I cant see a local-local lock down working, more measures for the whole county, also since it seems to be domestic and transfer between friends and family rather than hotspots of work places where you can target measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

petronius wrote: »
    There seems to be an quick rise in cases in Dublin South West, also a high number in Dublin North West - maybe extra focus in these areas, but I cant see a local-local lock down working, more measures for the whole county, also since it seems to be domestic and transfer between friends and family rather than hotspots of work places where you can target measures.

Dublin South East has the worst rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I can see a january lockdown. Cant keep people away from families over christmas

January is a long way off. Swift action now is what is needed. People can't think that they can have some semblance of normality over Christmas and then pay the the price of lockdown afterwards. Measures should have been taken in Dublin in the last week (not wait till next week) and I'm not saying a lockdown btw but something needs to happen to get things under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

The government have kind of backed themselves into a corner on this one. They were very quick to call a lockdown for Laois, Offaly and Kildare. I said at the time that they wouldn’t do it if it was Dublin and somebody accused me here of being anti Dublin which I’m not, but you could see it coming. You can’t have different rules for different counties even if it is the biggest and the capital.

If it was any other county, lockdown would have been announced Friday to come into immediate affect at midnight. They are waiting until next week in the hope that something miraculous happens at the weekend. They clearly don’t want to lock Dublin down which I understand with the economy and all. But if they don’t do it that’s the end of the county lockdowns. This is perfectly fine by me because they are a bit of a waste of time anyway and just affect businesses negatively. If they avoid lockdown here and try and lock down some rural county in the weeks/months ahead they’ll rightly be told to go **** themselves. Probably to the point that businesses would all disobey and stay open en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Risteard81 wrote:
    If they try another treasonous lockdown there is little doubt that they will be met with direct military force to prevent them. These traitors will be punished severely for what they have done. Have no doubt about this.

What movie is this from Risteard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

People calling for more lockdown should read this - this is from one of the HSE own Doctors- calling out draconian restrictions, as not justified , and the impact they have on the overall populations well being -
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...ctor-1.4352701

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"The Government’s plan to be published next week is expected to see the entire State placed on Level 2 status, the second most benign of the five levels. This is despite current case high levels in Dublin warranting Level 3 at least.

Government sources said Dublin was likely to be included with all other counties on Level 2, with some text to acknowledge higher levels of the virus in the capital."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-s-covid-plan-will-see-five-levels-billions-spent-on-health-public-pay-hikes-unlikely-1.4352914?mode=amp

Let’s close down businesses to stop people gathering in houses...

Great plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why not ? Covid isn’t going to say... “ahhh but you know, time of the year, can’t be infectious it’s Christmas “

The needy “ohh I miss xxxx, oh I ‘need’ to see xxxx need to suck it up and be part of a solution instead of by their needy fûckwit ways, the actual catalyst to the spread of the problem”....

Covid spreads by people being in close contact, it has no knowledge of the season of peace and goodwill. It HAS knowledge of the season (is everyday for now) of.. “look a human, let’s infect, maybe make ill or kill and spread like wildfire while we are at it”..

That’s covid, it cares not a fûck.... about emotional wellbeing, mindfulness or anything else... have to stay ‘mindful’ of this at every and ALL ...’opportunities or offers to socialize “ ohh come on just an hour, we’ll keep our distance, This this on the run, not as serious “. On the run to take up a hospital bed, or a place in a fûcking morgue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Newbie20 wrote: »
    The government have kind of backed themselves into a corner on this one. They were very quick to call a lockdown for Laois, Offaly and Kildare. I said at the time that they wouldn’t do it if it was Dublin and somebody accused me here of being anti Dublin which I’m not, but you could see it coming. You can’t have different rules for different counties even if it is the biggest and the capital.

If it was any other county, lockdown would have been announced Friday to come into immediate affect at midnight. They are waiting until next week in the hope that something miraculous happens at the weekend. They clearly don’t want to lock Dublin down which I understand with the economy and all. But if they don’t do it that’s the end of the county lockdowns. This is perfectly fine by me because they are a bit of a waste of time anyway and just affect businesses negatively. If they avoid lockdown here and try and lock down some rural county in the weeks/months ahead they’ll rightly be told to go **** themselves. Probably to the point that businesses would all disobey and stay open en masse.

Totally agree. Dublin has to be lockdown full stop as its getting out of hand there rapidly. If it starts spreading from there we will all be locked down agsin. Nobody wants that. Do what they to Kildare and see will cases fall again there. Dublin shouldnt be free from lockdown. Its has the most cases now therefore this is where the major problem of the cases are. Big population there it will only spread like wildfire and then to rest of country if the government don't get their act together quickly and react to the situation out of hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Risteard81 wrote: »
    If they try another treasonous lockdown there is little doubt that they will be met with direct military force to prevent them. These traitors will be punished severely for what they have done. Have no doubt about this.

You actually posted that! :pac:

Do you think this 'military force' will be our own or are you expecting NATO to intervene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s covid, it cares not a fûck.... about emotional wellbeing, mindfulness or anything else... have to stay ‘mindful’ of this at every and ALL ...’opportunities or offers to socialize “ ohh come on just an hour, we’ll keep our distance, This this on the run, not as serious “. On the run to take up a hospital bed, or a place in a fûcking morgue.

Such hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Strumms wrote: »
    Why not ? Covid isn’t going to say... “ahhh but you know, time of the year, can’t be infectious it’s Christmas “

The needy “ohh I miss xxxx, oh I ‘need’ to see xxxx need to suck it up and be part of a solution instead of by their needy fûckwit ways, the actual catalyst to the spread of the problem”....

Covid spreads by people being in close contact, it has no knowledge of the season of peace and goodwill. It HAS knowledge of the season (is everyday for now) of.. “look a human, let’s infect, maybe make ill or kill and spread like wildfire while we are at it”..

Covid can't talk

RoryMac wrote: »
    Covid can't talk

It also doesn't stop spreading just because some are getting bored/restless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Graham wrote: »
    It also doesn't stop spreading just because some are getting bored/restless.

Not sure closing businesses in Dublin is the best way to combat boredom & restlessness.

• Advertisement

Did someone suggest it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Where are the army trucks carrying dead bodies from hospital ? Back in march this is the picture that was painted by the media of the Covid world

Did you pay any attention to Italy at the time??

Christ ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Gardai objected to the renewal of a license for a pub in Achill yesterday for ongoing breaches’ of Covid-19 legislation.

That said, a few high-profile cases to demonstrate enforcement in all areas wouldn't go amiss.

Yes,that pub had been visited and warned by all the Gards on Achill at one stage or another. quite word was had and then they had to come down heavy.The pub was still flouting the rules so the Gards objected to license renewal.
    The judge ruled if the publican cleaned up his act in the next 2 months then the matter wouldnt come before the courts again.
    Some slap in the face for pubs following the guidelines all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You actually posted that! :pac:

Do you think this 'military force' will be our own or are you expecting NATO to intervene?

I didn't suggest that it would be the Free State army. That doesn't mean that AK-47 assault rifles will not exact righteous vengeance on the traitors. They will be hanged from bridges and lampposts.

History shows us that this is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I didn't suggest that it would be the Free State army. That doesn't mean that AK-47 assault rifles will not exact righteous vengeance on the traitors. They will be hanged from bridges and lampposts.

History shows us that this is inevitable.

Lol what planet are you living on lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I really don't think Dublin will be locked down to be honest. They probably know there wouldn't be much compliance. As for people gathering in each others houses, how can they enforce a restriction on that? They can't, and the civil liberties brigade will be up in arms over it anyway. At best it will be a recommendation that largely won't be followed.

I've no faith in people anymore to do the right thing, or even exercise a bit of common sense. All along it's been a constant whinge about needing to exercise beyond 2km, or needing to travel across the country to visit a holiday home, when are the pubs re-opening oh and the pubs the pubs the pubs blah blah blah. At this stage I think people are more or less going to do what they want and instead of wasting time on farcical "restrictions" the government should just focus on resourcing up for the inevitable fallout following party season.

We've been stocking up and as of today, can officially do our own lockdown for the next ten weeks. A fortnightly online shop for fresh fruit and veg is all that's needed. I couldn't care less what the rest of the country does at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Antares35 wrote: »
    I really don't think Dublin will be locked down to be honest. They probably know there wouldn't be much compliance. As for people gathering in each others houses, how can they enforce a restriction on that? They can't, and the civil liberties brigade will be up in arms over it anyway. At best it will be a recommendation that largely won't be followed.

I've no faith in people anymore to do the right thing, or even exercise a bit of common sense. All along it's been a constant whinge about needing to exercise beyond 2km, or needing to travel across the country to visit a holiday home, when are the pubs re-opening oh and the pubs the pubs the pubs blah blah blah. At this stage I think people are more or less going to do what they want and instead of wasting time on farcical "restrictions" the government should just focus on resourcing up for the inevitable fallout following party season.

We've been stocking up and as of today, can officially do our own lockdown for the next ten weeks. A fortnightly online shop for fresh fruit and veg is all that's needed. I couldn't care less what the rest of the country does at this stage!
    People should party with friends. People should live life. People should hug strangers and kiss their friends on the cheek.

They're not paraiahs - they're people, and this disease is not and never has been dangerous. The treasonous totalitarian response must end immediately, entirely and forever. And those who instigated, promoted and maintained it must be prosecuted, persecuted and vilified for what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Antares35 wrote: »

I think that is a bit harsh. Most of us observed and are observing the guidance. Schools reopened recently and the pubs (with food) also. There will always be an increase in cases with more mingling.

It is only on boards like this that you have so many rebels gathered together to give out about everything, it doesn't reflect real life out there much. IMV.

Not much can be done about the house gatherings, now that students will be back (mostly online though it seems for now). Dublin is the capital city, but London seems to be doing fine at ten or more times our size, and a crowded underground and other public transport. I don't understand why though.

So it must be the house parties. Can't see any resolution to that, but the rest of us will continue to observe the six per house rule or whatever it is now.

The advisers and the Gov are getting a bit nervous about the 1.4 rate now. I don't blame them, but there is only so much people like myself can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

poisonated wrote: »
    My understanding is that people in UCD will have online classes only until January.

I think all Irish universities have some physical classes for most students, but I am not sure of the detail of this. But any significant gathering of 100,000 odd third level students in Dublin is inevitably going to ramp things up big time.

• Advertisement

I have this image in my head of Risteard81 going around hugging strangers and kissing his friends on the cheek..

Advertisement