Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see the living with covid Road map leaks have commenced, government seems intent on getting people back working in the city. Newsflash, that ain't going to happen, certainly in the short term unless of course they intend bringing in legislation to force, Google, Facebook, Ebay etc etc to bring staff back, yes, that's really going to happen,?? I doubt it very much. A consequence of this crisis has simply been, all those TECH companies have suddenly woken up to high rents, running costs & expense in running shiny new office blocks, employees will never return in the numbers once there and its a decision that will in essence descemate inner city businesses depending on these companies. Perhaps government might consider film tax breaks, westerns won't even need to supply tumbleweed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I see the living with covid Road map leaks have commenced, government seems intent on getting people back working in the city. Newsflash, that ain't going to happen, certainly in the short term unless of course they intend bringing in legislation to force, Google, Facebook, Ebay etc etc to bring staff back, yes, that's really going to happen,?? I doubt it very much. A consequence of this crisis has simply been, all those TECH companies have suddenly woken up to high rents, running costs & expense in running shiny new office blocks, employees will never return in the numbers once there and its a decision that will in essence descemate inner city businesses depending on these companies. Perhaps government might consider film tax breaks, westerns won't even need to supply tumbleweed.

And plenty will end up back in offices at some point. My own workplace and many other I know in the city we all have the option to work from home but the office is operating at 50% capacity currently so we'll have the option and I know plenty who want to go back into the office.

By the way i work near Facebook and while they have the option to work from home there are numbers slowly returning to the office, a good few around at the end of last week.

Theres a whole thread on this anyway so don't want to derail this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There is scope with a bit of ingenuity for partial return to the office. Lazy companies are taking the easy way out. But young employees working from bedrooms in rented accommodation cannot continue especially with dark evenings on the way. The mental health of people requires int3raction with colleagues over the water cooler etc

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Edgware wrote: »
    Lazy companies are taking the easy way out.
    I don't think it's about laziness - companies will do whatever maximises their profit. If a work-from-home policy saves them from having to expand their office space (e.g. Google) then they'll do that.

I don't think public transport will be able to accommodate anything like the numbers that used to squash themselves on the buses and trains pre-Covid. That's going to impose a hard limit on numbers returning to many offices.

The government wants people returning to offices in order to kick-start spending in the city-centre businesses again. I used to use public transport, but I'm avoiding it now. And Dublin is becoming more hostile to drivers - so I'm staying out of it. It's a win for those that want a quieter city. But possibly at the expense of businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

VeVeX wrote: »
    The case figures may be similar to March but we now have data on the severity of the virus. A further lockdown is not justified, this illness is nowhere near as deadly as we were led to believe in March.

We haven't hit the same levels yet, that's why I said comparison of Sept 16th to March 31st will be the interesting dates.

Now hopefully, they learnt their lesson from the Nursing Homes and we wont have CoVid infected staff working in more than one nursing home and killing off the residents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Here's the lates map by David Higgins who made the Irish Times map earlier in the Thread.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1305155241072041984?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

This is a thread also by David Higgins. It lists the amount of cases needed by each county to qualify for Lockdown.

The screenshot shows the county table

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1304844340490055687?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Cops visible around Clontarf today just maintaining a presence with the jeeps and the lights flashing and standing outside with masks.

What do we reckon, seems an increase in visibility. Is there something coming Tuesday?

I have a staycation trip booked to Kilkenny next weekend but uncertain now. I'll adhere to any restrictions.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Cops visible around Clontarf today just maintaining a presence with the jeeps and the lights flashing and standing outside with masks.

What do we reckon, seems an increase in visibility. Is there something coming Tuesday?

I have a staycation trip booked to Kilkenny next weekend but uncertain now. I'll adhere to any restrictions.

They(Gardaí) released a statement today, its an increase in high visibility patrols to encourage social distancing between groups.
    No return to previous operations.

Tuesday is expected to see a reduction in the number of people allowed to mix in home settings that's all.

You wont be told not to leave the county so see no reason why you can't go away next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Dublins problem not helped by so called influncers going around the place without a worry in the world. Some videos on instagram are v questionable. Like last night one loving life on a night out in dublin with her gals and she just back from Crete

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Beyond the point of discussion at this stage. Dublin's cases are spiraling out of control through community transmission in virtually every region of the county, now well past the levels seen in the 3 counties before their lockdown.

It has to happen and they shouldn't wait until Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Downlinz wrote: »
    Beyond the point of discussion at this stage. Dublin's cases are spiraling out of control through community transmission in virtually every region of the county, now well past the levels seen in the 3 counties before their lockdown.

Should have happened 10 days ago. Spreading everywhere now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Dublins problem not helped by so called influncers going around the place without a worry in the world. Some videos on instagram are v questionable. Like last night one loving life on a night out in dublin with her gals and she just back from Crete

Name and shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Downlinz wrote: »

Was on Dublin a few times recently and bar masks/screens life and commerce have returned to near normality...the city centre is very busy. Public transport too.
    They locked down LOK at the drop of a hat with zero consultation with locals. But when Dublin is reaching the same levels it appears out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I don't want a Dublin lockdown. I think Dublin cases will peak at 200 pd. I also suspect you will see increases in Meath, louth kildare and wicklow very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

That was because there was a sink hole on the St Lawrence road...nothing to do with Covid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Pointless. They’d be better tackling the feckers selling fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

road_high wrote: »
    Was on Dublin a few times recently and bar masks/screens life and commerce have returned to near normality...the city centre is very busy. Public transport too.
    They locked down LOK at the drop of a hat with zero consultation with locals. But when Dublin is reaching the same levels it appears out of the question?

Yes and it's obvious why if you have a basic understanding of Ireland's economics, your reasons for being in Dublin will probably bolster that point.

road_high wrote: »

The city is absolutely nowhere near normal.

I'm in most days for work, no issues on public transport. Id usually struggle to get a seat in and out of work but no bother.

Footfall in the city is nowhere near normal

• Advertisement

While I tend to agree, before we all get our pitchforks, Greece is on the green list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

While I tend to agree, before we all get our pitchforks, Greece is on the green list

The green list is only for essential travel.

Somehow id say her trip to crete was not essential.

The green list is only for essential travel.

Somehow id say her trip to crete was not essential.

Doesn't matter, its only advice, if someone wants to go on holidays to Greece they can and plenty have.

If someone went out when they came back they've broken no rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The city is absolutely nowhere near normal.

I'm in most days for work, no issues on public transport. Id usually struggle to get a seat in and out of work but no bother.

Footfall in the city is nowhere near normal

Depends where in town around Grafton Street much quieter than normal whereas north of the river O'Connell Street, Henry Street, Mary Street area seem far more normal. Also much lower mask compliance around this area too.

Much higher levels of coronaphobia in the leafier areas came across an older women going around with a stick trying to get people to stay away from her in Dun Laoghaire there a few weeks if she tried that stunt in Henry Street probably wouldn't be long before she got the stick taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yup. OH is in one of these and it will be 12 Months before they are back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Terrible that Gov cannot make people support the developers and lessors of these commercial premises in the city anymore.

But they might just raise CT instead lol to get REVENGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GT89 wrote: »
    Depends where in town around Grafton Street much quieter than normal whereas north of the river O'Connell Street, Henry Street, Mary Street area seem far more normal. Also much lower mask compliance around this area too.

Much higher levels of coronaphobia in the leafier areas came across an older women going around with a stick trying to get people to stay away from her in Dun Laoghaire there a few weeks if she tried that stunt in Henry Street probably wouldn't be long before she got the stick taken.

Ironic so, isn't it that the high levels are in DSE and DNW opposite areas and poles apart. Who'd a thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Yes, it is well overdue but I don't even think whatever is coming on Tuesday are even going to amount to a lockdown. And if they are restrictions like x people from y households, there's no real way of enforcing that. The arbitrariness and vagueness has really ****ed things up here. It also seems like a double standard is being applied because Dublin is the major economic hub with the biggest population -- maybe on a per capita basis the numbers aren't so bad, but they will become worse and acting fast is essential to not letting the situation get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Strumms wrote: »
    Why not ? Covid isn’t going to say... “ahhh but you know, time of the year, can’t be infectious it’s Christmas “

Covid spreads by people being in close contact, it has no knowledge of the season of peace and goodwill.

Correct!

COVID CHRISTMAS CEASEFIRE - a pure fantasy December newspaper headline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Build the hospital beds, buy the respirators, multiply testing, cant lockdown again. The kids arnt scared of it anymore. Lock grannies and grandads down and people with a bmi of above obese and all the other dangerous cases.

Its people on the social or in school want the lockdown because there will be no jobs to go to after another one.

Lets not forget our grossly over bloated public sector.

All our failing SME's that are the mainstay of the economy, minor detail.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement