Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

That was a quote from the newspaper article linked above.
    I'm slow to say a newspaper is wrong, but I think the rapidly changing numbers at the time may have caused confusion.

Here's the letter on 07 Aug from NEPHET to the Dept of Health recommending the LOK lockdown; the 14-day incidences were 61.6 per 100000 in Kildare

It looks like the Dublin figures are now a good bit above those that triggered that lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There is a voice message doing the rounds on WhatsApp from a brigadier general in the army and he said they are going to be putting Dublin under lockdown at 7am tomorrow.
    Shoot to kill policy for no masks.

About bloody time!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A brigadier general? How many do we have!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A brigadier general? How many do we have!

Seven!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »
    Seven!

I hope they have a UNIT and a DOCTOR.
    I dont know WHO...
    We seem to be living in scifi times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I think we have moved beyond the point that lockdown and restrictions will really work. People simply are not afraid anymore and are going about their lives.

There are already plenty of pubs in Dublin where you don’t need to buy food anyways. House parties will continue. People have the option of hitting Leixlip/Maynooth etc for pubs if they really want.

That’s just how it is. I sat in for months doing the zoom quizzes and all that. I won’t give up any more precious time for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think we have moved beyond the point that lockdown and restrictions will really work. People simply are not afraid anymore and are going about their lives.

There are already plenty of pubs in Dublin where you don’t need to buy food anyways. House parties will continue. People have the option of hitting Leixlip/Maynooth etc for pubs if they really want.

That’s just how it is. I sat in for months doing the zoom quizzes and all that. I won’t give up any more precious time for this.

Very much agreed

Dublin can be an experiment in herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Keep away from Kildare, we served our time already!

This pathetic attitude is why we are heading for 5000 cases per day in Dublin by the end of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

This pathetic attitude is why we are heading for 5000 cases per day in Dublin by the end of October.
    It's not a pathetic attitude.

Asking people to waste months and years of their lives is utterly abhorrent and you and the disgusting politicians should be ashamed (and severely punished).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There is a voice message doing the rounds on WhatsApp from a brigadier general in the army and he said they are going to be putting Dublin under lockdown at 7am tomorrow.
    Shoot to kill policy for no masks.

Thank Christ for that. Hopefully there will be those wee little flags for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

saabsaab wrote: »
    Dublin can be an experiment in herd immunity.

How will all the muck savages get to and from work if Dublin is locked down? :D

Stay Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dublin won't be locked down. I'm off for my staycation this weekend. Have kept my contacts to a minimum lately so g'luck.

Also 5k a day is a ridiculous figure. Anyone who believes that is frankly an absolute idiot.

I am FOR RESTRICTIONS but the messaging has been so skewed lately that I will do my own thing and keep safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Risteard81 wrote: »

Asking people to waste months and years of their lives is utterly abhorrent and you and the disgusting politicians should be ashamed (and severely punished).
    lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

maybe block all the roads in and out of Dublin with tractors and cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I'm from Dublin and I have to say yes.. It should be in lockdown.
    Im heraing so many stories off classes being stopped becuase of testing and indidual cases etc.

and also Unfortunately we have too many idiots in the county.

I cite that absolute D-Head in Lidl refusing to wear a mask and refusing to leave the store even after being told he wont be served. I was hoping a stranger would come over and knock him out.

Problem is... the same muppets will ignore the lockdown too while the rest of us follow the advise and keep social circles to an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Why exactly ?

Good grief... :D

You best hide under the bed for a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're asking people to waste lives, as opposed to time. As much as I hate the idea of a lockdown, I find it hard to argue against the intentions of it. There's just one problem though, too many people who aren't able to look further than their nose.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

A disgrace they are still keeping the pubs closed over this scam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Great to hear the pubs in Dublin will remain closed but more needs to done to stop Dublin infecting the rest of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So we await the Living with Covid Road map, so already they can't even grasp the concept of level 1 to 5, they've decided to introduce a 2 and a bit level for Dublin, this is going to be a farce.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

GT89 wrote: »
    Great to hear the pubs in Dublin will remain closed

People are mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So we await the Living with Covid Road map, so already they can't even grasp the concept of level 1 to 5, they've decided to introduce a 2 and a bit level for Dublin, this is going to be a farce.

The Donnelly bootlickers seem to have had their brains impacted from the shoe polish which would explain how they cannot see how ludicrous the government restrictions are. Five levels and they still cannot put Dublin in one of them. I also am surprised that Sam McConckey is still quoted in news articles despite having a hard-on for the impractical and extreme crushing of the curve.

I don't read the detail in the guidelines anymore, just getting out and about as normal as is permissible right now (ie office, gym, shops, cafes/restaurants, meeting people I want to meet, planning a weekend break in London before Christmas etc). To be honest, it's only reading news and online comments where I realise people are still very concerned about covid as it is not really reflected in my daily interactions and actions anymore. Are others noticing that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it absolutely is, it's the same as a baby stamping their feet and screaching no no no
    people are not being asked to waste any part of their lives, just follow some simple guidelines to minimise the spread of a virus.
    those who are either making the decisions or just abiding by the guidelines are not going to be punished nor are we ever going to be ashamed for doing what we need to do so that we can live alongside this virus while trying to minimise the effects as much as is possible.
    GT89 wrote: »

it's not a scam, it's real, it's fact, it exists, deal with it you have been debunked.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't read the detail in the guidelines anymore, just getting out and about as normal as is permissible right now (ie office, gym, shops, cafes/restaurants, meeting people I want to meet, planning a weekend break in London before Christmas etc). To be honest, it's only reading news and online comments where I realise people are still very concerned about covid as it is not really reflected in my daily interactions and actions anymore. Are others noticing that as well?

I'm not one for being glued to the details anymore either, but I try to follow the guidelines as best I can. Good hand hygiene, face mask in the supermarket and avoiding gatherings etc etc.

I have definitely noticed complacency kicking in and more concerning, the "I don't give a fcuk" attitude of some people which is putting everyone else at risk and is undermining the good work of everyone else....and it is work.

A few days ago, I had to stop by a Post Office to drop off a package. While waiting in the socially distance queue, I noticed a number of people walking around the centre with no face-mask on. I then noticed that a large proportion of people were only covering their mouth their face-mask, leaving the nose fully exposed. It really annoyed me, as these are the people putting everyone else at risk.

Another example yesterday, I was in Lidl. The shop wasn't busy and when I got to the checkout, there was just one woman in front of me. An elderly man and woman queued up behind me. They both walked right up to me to wait, even though their shopping was on the belt and there was plenty of room behind them. I had to ask them for distance. It was just complacency kicking in for them and I know they didn't purposefully invade my space, but this is how the virus is spreading....complacency....and also some people are just d1cks.

Stay Free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Not a hope in hell Dublin gets a lockdown by itself.

Too many making decisions from Dublin for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Great to hear the pubs in Dublin will remain closed but more needs to done to stop Dublin infecting the rest of the nation.

I know some of you country folk are gleeful in this news and are hoping for a Dublin lockdown, but none of the pubs are closed in Dublin anyway as they all do food, apart from some city centre ones that don't do food, and no one is in the city centre these days anyway. Sorry to disappoint you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I know some of you country folk are gleeful in this news and are hoping for a Dublin lockdown, but none of the pubs are closed in Dublin anyway as they all do food, apart from some city centre ones that don't do food, and no one is in the city centre these days anyway. Sorry to disappoint you.

yeah its not as if anyone who wants to goto a pub has too far to look.

Advertisement