Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Imagine being so judgemental that you thought tracksuit bottoms were for children, instead of being situation dependant. People are crazy.

situation dependent?

There's no situation that an adult should wear tracksuit bottoms ;)

Now you're just taking the piss. "No situations"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It depends on the role.

I've been WFH full-time since March and really very little changed for me.. but that's because most of my week involves dealing with 2/3 people locally and the rest are offshore (including the rest of my team and management). Because of this there's no "social life" in work to miss anyway and I was WFH'ing 1/2 days a week anyway.

As such I can pretty much work from anywhere with a phone, laptop and internet connection. The local offices are starting to plan for a staggered return to office but even then it'll be no more than 50% maximum.

There's no plans or need for me to return to an office so I'll likely go in only once a month or so for the day. I get more done from home than I do with no random walk-ups or having to find a meeting room for a call, or walking the corridors because I can't.

In fact, any new jobs I consider (and I'm getting more calls of late which is a good sign) will need to have a flexible/WFH policy. I won't be returning to a daily 2/3 hour commute unless absolutely unavoidable.

I'm finding the same. Get much more done at home. If I was an employer, I'd tell all my workers to work from home if possible. More productivity, happier work/life balance for most and save a fortune on renting office space. Good for the planet too. Seems a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Not brown nosing, building connections and relationships.

What's the point of team bonding if it doesnt matter anyways and you and your colleague just doing your job would be just as effective.

The idea of team bonding (from a corporate view point) is to have a happier, more efficient group of employees who are forced to work in (usually) an office environment with people they would otherwise have little to interest in communicating with outside of the work environment.

What sane person would want to spend a week per month commuting for the sake of team bonding? I prefer to choose who I spend my time with.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think we have moved beyond the point that lockdown and restrictions will really work. People simply are not afraid anymore and are going about their lives.

There are already plenty of pubs in Dublin where you don’t need to buy food anyways. House parties will continue. People have the option of hitting Leixlip/Maynooth etc for pubs if they really want.

That’s just how it is. I sat in for months doing the zoom quizzes and all that. I won’t give up any more precious time for this.

I think large fines for breachs will stop those shindigs, fine the parents of minors too, fine fine fine all!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Dubs aren't going to flock in their droves to the commuter towns ffs.

The wet pubs will have the exact same rules except no food needed. So if Dubs were that desperate for a pint they'd just order food and have their pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The wet pubs will have the exact same rules except no food needed. So if Dubs were that desperate for a pint they'd just order food and have their pints.

Yeah it's silly. And if people travel a significant distance do that that more fool the silly buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If you live in lucan, parts of blanch, loughlinstown you can

Order food and stay for the time limit hoping they'll look the other way or go eat food elsewhere

Or

Spend 10 minutes on a bus, hit up 2/3 bars and spend 10 minutes on a bus home.......

Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You could have 3 pints at home in the comfort of your sitting room for the price of one in a pub and without the possibility of infecting someone else or yourself.

Some people treat a pint in a pub as if its oxygen and they can't live without it.

More craic in a pub than in my living room. Money isn’t a worry for me at the moment.

Imagine being so judgemental that you thought tracksuit bottoms were for children, instead of being situation dependant. People are crazy.

They’re for exercising in no?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think large fines for breachs will stop those shindigs, fine the parents of minors too, fine fine fine all!

Where do you live hahahaha. They judiciary can’t keep up with real criminals and you now want them going against ordinary decent people. That’ll work wonders for Garda morale hahahaha. Most of them already have a pain in their hole checking pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

level 2 and a bit is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dublin should be level 42 with all it's cases, 218 today

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can the people on this thread screaming for Dublin to be locked down please state who pays their wages before they make their comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Absolute horsesh1t, my mental health has improved immeasurably since working from home began and I've been able to avoid 'interacting with colleagues at the water cooler' :rolleyes:. There are far more positives than there are negatives, and I'd wager that applies to the vast, vast majority of people.:

zero morning commute, improved cooking facilities for healthier lunches, proximity to local amenities for lunchtime exercise, having the dog with me all day, being able to clock off earlier most days, zero evening rush hour commute, less money spent on lunches/bus fare/pints/dry cleaning/doggy daycare/collections for people leaving, wearing comfortable clothing while you're working, having access to certain work stuff from home that you previously didn't.........do I need to continue?

The fact that I don't have to make idle chitchat with all the office gossip merchants is a BONUS instead of a hindrance. You can still speak to people, you know, doesn't have to be at the water cooler?

That's once outlook - here is another - I moved to a new area and worked in my new workplace for just over 2 months before we were told to WFH - so I was just forging new relationships and making new friends when suddenly told not to go the office anymore.

So now I am WFH all day, and all social events are cancelled, my other attempts at making friends - joined a few clubs etc, all cancelled as well, so now WFH with no actual social interaction - its a lonely life

I have resorted to travelling 100miles to go for dinner with friends where I used to live.

WFH works at the minute for a lot of people as its based on an established workforce, it won't work as well for new starts, training is hard, forging new relationships etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Dublin should be level 42 with all it's cases, 218 today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Numbers are grand in Dublin. Chill out like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can the people on this thread screaming for Dublin to be locked down please state who pays their wages before they make their comment?

Oooooo!

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It surely should be on level 3?

Any other county would have been hit immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Are you going to tell us, truthfully?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two and a bit is a pathetic undermining by the government of it's own brand new plan. We're ruled by idiots who are scared of Dublin.

Dublin needs to be isolated - no one in, no one out until they have the rate under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Two and a bit is a pathetic undermining by the government of it's own brand new plan. We're ruled by idiots who are scared of Dublin.

Dublin needs to be isolated - no one in, no one out until they have the rate under control

There will be no lockdown. We are now in a controlled burn phase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

it's not a scam, it's real, it's fact, it exists, deal with it you have been debunked.

Never said it wasn't real. I believe the virus exists the scam is the reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

2.5 what a joke having Dublin at that. If that was Kildare we be locked down immediately. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Where is the info that shows the main two regions of Dublin that are hotspots right now? Anyone got a link?

From memory one was Dublin North Central?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Dubs who are so desperate for a pint they are willing to go on pub crawls in other counties need to cop on.

Have a pint at home or go to pubs who serve food.

Absolute joke, the disease that is Dublin getting put ahead of the rest of the country as per usual just like in every other walk of life.

It should be put to at least level 4 if not 5 until it’s got under control, disgrace it’s not locked down with zero movement in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Absolute joke, the disease that is Dublin getting put ahead of the rest of the country as per usual just like I’m every other walk of life.
    It should be put to at least level 4 if not 5 until it’s got under control, disgrace it’s not locked down with zero movement in or out.

Does that include anyone from Dublin or outside going to Dublin airport or port?
    Whats the point stopping people going between Dublin and Drogheda but not Dallas?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Dubs who are so desperate for a pint they are willing to go on pub crawls in other counties need to cop on.

lol close the curtains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Or go to a house party.

Advertisement