Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Lockdown Dublin t'****. I've a heap of DIY that needs doing and a load of netflix to catch up on. Gives us 3-4 days notice to clean out B&Q and the garden centres and then pull the trigger. We'll be in a much better place by Oct 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so theres the people who just aren't ever going to have people over

theres the people who might have family around but will think twice about this and reduce it to the minimum

and then there is the gubmerment won't tell me what to do with me and my family, my kids going to have everyone over for his communion/ confirmation

what percentage of the population do you think those 3 types of people are and will these even tighter rules make any difference to the third?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

so theres the people who just aren't ever going to have people over

theres the people who might have family around but will think twice about this and reduce it to the minimum

and then there the gubmerment won't tell me what to with me and my family, my kids going to have everyone over for his communion/ confirmation

what percentage of the population do you think those 3 types of people are and will these even smaller numbers make any difference to the third?

If one engages in fingering use a glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

85 mins to lock down. What happens at midnight? Army on the streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m in Dublin. I won’t be locking down anymore. I have terminal cancer. I might not be here in a year or two. I would love somebody to tell me to my face that my limited time left should be spent hiding away. Fuuuuuuuck that. It’s very easy for those with decades left to pontificate about making sacrifices. Every day, every month really counts to me. I may never have a foreign holiday again. I’ll take my chances.

And a vaccine could be years away. I hope that’s not the case but currently, we just have vaccine candidates. They can still fail. We cannot lockdown for years. It was a good plan as a stop gap but it’s not sustainable. For our morale, we need to figure out where to go from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lockdown Dublin t'****. I've a heap of DIY that needs doing and a load of netflix to catch up on. Gives us 3-4 days notice to clean out B&Q and the garden centres and then pull the trigger. We'll be in a much better place by Oct 1st.

Just keep your bars open so we can return the visit.

I’m in Dublin. I won’t be locking down anymore. I have terminal cancer. I might not be here in a year or two. I would love somebody to tell me to my face that my limited time left should be spent hiding away. Fuuuuuuuck that. It’s very easy for those with decades left to pontificate about making sacrifices. Every day, every month really counts to me. I may never have a foreign holiday again. I’ll take my chances.

And a vaccine could be years away. I hope that’s not the case but currently, we just have vaccine candidates. They can still fail. We cannot lockdown for years. It was a good plan as a stop gap but it’s not sustainable. For our morale, we need to figure out where to go from here.
    so you want other people to get sick too.

I have to weigh up what’s important to me, with limited time left. I don’t have covid, so who would I be passing it to? If I did get it, I wouldn’t be one of the asymptomatic people, with my lungs and immune system compromised. So yeah, I’ll take the chance. And you wouldn’t be so brave as to ask me that question if you were standing in front of me. And I’d gladly tell you where to go if you did ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If you book a holiday to any of the green list countries or even Sweden the chances of getting an infection are low.

If you book a holiday to any of the green list countries or even Sweden the chances of getting an infection are low.

I know, but it’s complicated for reasons I won’t get into here. Thanks though! Hopefully I will get abroad early next year.

• Advertisement

I have to weigh up what’s important to me, with limited time left. I don’t have covid, so who would I be passing it to? If I did get it, I wouldn’t be one of the asymptomatic people, with my lungs and immune system compromised. So yeah, I’ll take the chance. And you wouldn’t be so brave as to ask me that question if you were standing in front of me. And I’d gladly tell you where to go if you did ask.

Apologies, expectationlost. This was a bit harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Heh, suuuure they are.

but you could get it when moving around, and pass it on to others in the first days.

but you could get it when moving around, and pass it on to others in the first days.

I know that. I just have to be a bit selfish. I don’t have the endless time others do and if I had to lock down again, I might tip into the considerable bag of drugs at my disposal.

I’m not hopeful about us finding a vaccine and/or medicine for the virus soon either, due to have some knowledge of drug testing. I really hope we find one or the other soon but it really could be years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Luckily terminal cancer isnt contiguous.

I know that. I just have to be a bit selfish. I don’t have the endless time others do and if I had to lock down again, I might tip into the considerable bag of drugs at my disposal.

I’m not hopeful about us finding a vaccine and/or medicine for the virus soon either, due to have some knowledge of drug testing. I really hope we find one or the other soon but it really could be years.

can you be selfish away from other people please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

A few million people have been locked down for your benefit, you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It was a good plan as a stop gap but it’s not sustainable.
    Illegal totalitarian lockdown wasn't even good as a stopgap - it was and is treasonous.

I wish you well. I'm sorry that Leo saw fit to throw away a large part of your life (and indeed everyone else's lives - which are all finite).

Live your life to the fullest. But you already understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Medicine, no. Vaccine? It's not hard to play it safe with a vaccine (especially adjuvants, Pandemerix anyone?) and develop something that will give 70-80% immunity, even with potential boosters. The problem not being talked about is the most conventional designs of vaccine will necessarily be the more limited in dosage (more raw protein, less adjuvant). Medicine trials are a whole other ball game, unless related classes of drugs are factored into the overall safety profile picture. And as you'd know, a virus has far fewer "targets" for a drug to mess up a relatively small virus with. I'm really in favour of a vaccine to liberate us all from lockdowns and social distancing - it's annoying that many against the restrictions of freedom and liberty are the same who will round on the first signs of any issue with a vaccine.

And sorry that your final days had to be spent in this ****show. I'd nearly say get off boards, go have a few beers and spend time with your loved ones (assuming none of ye are in contact with many people)

You're not selfish.

Those promoting treasonous lockdown are selfish and indeed vile criminals.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Illegal totalitarian lockdown wasn't even good as a stopgap - it was and is treasonous.

I wish you well. I'm sorry that Leo saw fit to throw away a large part of your life (and indeed everyone else's lives - which are all finite).

Live your life to the fullest. But you already understand this.
    Put a sock in it would ya? Even someone's personal tragedy is another political statement to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Wow, no compassion and understanding for someone in an unimaginable situation?

Put a sock in it would ya? Even someone's personal tragedy is another political statement to you.
    Shutup you ridiculous sock puppet.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Shutup you ridiculous sock puppet.
    A sock puppet since... 2004? Right

Medicine, no. Vaccine? It's not hard to play it safe with a vaccine (especially adjuvants, Pandemerix anyone?) and develop something that will give 70-80% immunity, even with potential boosters. The problem not being talked about is the most conventional designs of vaccine will necessarily be the more limited in dosage (more raw protein, less adjuvant). Medicine trials are a whole other ball game, unless related classes of drugs are factored into the overall safety profile picture. And as you'd know, a virus has far fewer "targets" for a drug to mess up a relatively small virus with. I'm really in favour of a vaccine to liberate us all from lockdowns and social distancing - it's annoying that many against the restrictions of freedom and liberty are the same who will round on the first signs of any issue with a vaccine.

Yes, even vaccines. We could have one in six months but that is not guaranteed at all.

I’m in favour of vaccines too. Never said otherwise. But being in favour of something doesn’t mean it will happen as soon as we all hope it will.

Yes, even vaccines. We could have one in six months but that is not guaranteed at all.

I’m in favour of vaccines too. Never said otherwise. But being in favour of something doesn’t mean it will happen as soon as we all hope it will.
    I hear ya, it's just the difference between drug and vaccine trials are quite big. We don't need to live off guarantees, but it's fairly generic to say "it may not work" after talking about knowing a thing or two about drug trials. Of the millions of cases of covid-19, there's literally no evidence of an antibody mediated enhancement or some immune evasion mechanism so far. Whether there are very long term unexpected consequences from either this or the vaccine, will not be readily known during the time something is employed. Classic example being the 2 main types of polio vaccine created. Still not a reason to emphasise this pessimism over what we know especially since the H1N1 pandemic

These are probably the most disgusting posts I have ever read on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Lockdown merchants have an amazing ability to outwardly appear as if they are in the business of saving lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

These are probably the most disgusting posts I have ever read on boards.

Risteard is a unique presence for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Don't leave the house, you could catch covid, or you could get hit by a car/bus/truck, or mugged and stabbed or hit by falling debris, or............................................ the list of coulds is infinite. :rolleyes:

Advertisement