Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dubs who are so desperate for a pint they are willing to go on pub crawls in other counties need to cop on.

Have a pint at home or go to pubs who serve food.

“Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly had said residents in Dublin “absolutely can” travel outside the county.”

All perfectly legit and above board. We can go where we want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

“Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly had said residents in Dublin “absolutely can” travel outside the county.”

All perfectly legit and above board. We can go where we want.

bit of selective quoting there weldoninhio.

the article continued
    Tánaiste Leo Varadkar was more emphatic last night, telling RTɒs PrimeTime that the Government was “strongly discouraging people from travelling outside of Dublin city or county unless it’s necessary.

“That might be for work reasons. It might be to care for somebody. . . It really wouldn’t be to take a weekend away”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

These are probably the most disgusting posts I have ever read on boards.

This person obviously hasn't seen someone die from cancer. An actual real killer disease. I hope op ignores this crap and lives the rest of his/her life as much as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

can you be selfish away from other people please?

Can you?

Graham wrote: »
    bit of selective quoting there weldoninhio.

the article continued

I quoted our health minister. I'll be heading to Carlow or Kilkenny during next week for a session. Thats on the govt.

• Advertisement

My goodness you're going to be busy with that pub crawl and all those house parties to go to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Don't leave the house, you could catch covid, or you could get hit by a car/bus/truck, or mugged and stabbed or hit by falling debris, or............................................ the list of coulds is infinite. :rolleyes:

Injured on a trampoline - you and SD are on the same page

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

People here want a Dublin Lock down. If we go to level 3 (or 4), how much money will this cost?

The other issue is that a Dublin Lock down would possible last months as its much bigger than LOK!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Surely once all this is over with we need to hve a proper review of how we handled this thing?

Listing people who died with Covid is stupid. Old people die anyways. Old people died of the flu last winter. Listing all the deaths I think will turn out to be wrong and shown to scare people into thinking it's much worse than it is.

The government has spent billions on taxpayers money to "protect public health". Roughly 4,000 people have died in the last 10 years in road traffic collisions. There's **** roads all through the country. Why didn't we spend billions on new roads to save these lives?

The government have set a benchmark now, that lives are worth unlimited amounts of money. How can they keep the economy shut down but not afford to keep a hospital A&E open for example?

Surely once all this is over with we need to hve a proper review of how we handled this thing?

Listing people who died with Covid is stupid. Old people die anyways. Old people died of the flu last winter. Listing all the deaths I think will turn out to be wrong and shown to scare people into thinking it's much worse than it is.

The government has spent billions on taxpayers money to "protect public health". Roughly 4,000 people have died in the last 10 years in road traffic collisions. There's **** roads all through the country. Why didn't we spend billions on new roads to save these lives?

The government have set a benchmark now, that lives are worth unlimited amounts of money. How can they keep the economy shut down but not afford to keep a hospital A&E open for example?

What alternative approach to handling this should they adopt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

alentejo wrote: »
    People here want a Dublin Lock down. If we go to level 3 (or 4), how much money will this cost?

The other issue is that a Dublin Lock down would possible last months as its much bigger than LOK!

How much would it cost? Alot.
    Dublin economy accounts for €43 for every €100 generated in the country.

alentejo wrote: »

So if the case numbers in Dublin keep rising, what should we do? Nothing?

If we do nothing, will people modify their behaviour as a result of rising case numbers, which may also cause economic damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

How much would it cost? Alot.
    Dublin economy accounts for €43 for every €100 generated in the country.

Unless the PUP scheme is extended I can’t see a lockdown happening in Dublin.
    PUP scheme ends today so any shutdown for business will mean thousands of people being made redundant for good this time with no generous government subsidy.
    When that hard reality hits people’s wallets and ability to pay loans, etc then this government are done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Don't leave the house, you could catch covid, or you could get hit by a car/bus/truck, or mugged and stabbed or hit by falling debris, or............................................ the list of coulds is infinite. :rolleyes:

getting hit by a car etc isn't contagious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Indeed. Stretching the analogy, if you got hit by a bus, but only got a bruise whereas your mam or dad got their leg broken, wouldn't you be a bit more careful crossing the road? And if someone said that likely this would only last for another seven months and then you would go back to taking on the full risk yourself....well, I'd say there's be less jaywalkers for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can someone clear up if we have been asked not to leave Dublin ?
    For example this weekend a wedding in a venue just outside of Dublin but the bride , Groom and everyone in attendance is from Dublin are we advised not to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For example this weekend a wedding in a venue just outside of Dublin but the bride , Groom and everyone in attendance is from Dublin are we advised not to go ?

As far as I know we're being asked not to unless necessary. But you can if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

You would need to check with venue too, if you are staying over.
    I'd say you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I'd go to a wedding to be honest. Just be extra careful on distancing, in the exact same way as you would if the wedding was in Dublin.

I think it's fair enough to ask people not to be booking weekends away outside of Dublin for the time being. If you've booked it already, I think it's fair enough to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A lockdown in Dublin on its own is ridiculous . A place like Bray is technically in Wicklow but in reality is part of Dublin. The same goes for Leixlip, Maynooth and other towns bordering the Dublin County boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

NIMAN wrote: »
    It surely should be on level 3?

Any other county would have been hit immediately.

It's not the case numbers alone that matter, it's the ratio that counts. Dublin could have 100 cases per day and Leitrim could have 10 cases per day. Which county would you say is doing better?

Population Dublin 2019: 1,380,000
    Population Leitrim 2019: 32,000

Two and a bit is a pathetic undermining by the government of it's own brand new plan. We're ruled by idiots who are scared of Dublin.

Dublin needs to be isolated - no one in, no one out until they have the rate under control

I agree that dilution the 1-5 scale is a bit ridiculous by the sound of it, but any logical person can deduce that it simply means that anyone in Dublin needs to take additional precautions above level 2, but are not restricted to level 3.

It may well be a necessity to lock down Dublin and indeed other counties, but I ask those with such an opinion to ask themselves some questions of the knock on impact of this.

A Dublin lock down will mean that the ports are closed or highly restricted. Certainly nobody from outside Dublin will be hopping on a Ryanair flight they booked to Italy. Many tens of thousands of people will be put out of work, including a large chunk of people who commute to Dublin for work. Dublin subsidises the rest of the country; even the local property tax is mostly siphoned off to the rest of the country. The hole created from a Dublin lockdown will hit other counties just as hard.

Those who would like to see Dublin shut down, not for health concerns, but for selfish, bigoted reasons should really take a long hard look at themselves. Some are making harmless jokes, but other posters I have seen consistently be negative against anyone born in Dublin. They are the same people who bitch and whine about water being tapped from the Shannon and yet enjoy the benefits paid for by the prosperity of the big smoke ;)

Stay Free

is there not really only one section of Dublin thats that different to the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

is there not really only one section of Dublin thats that different to the rest

Dublin South (Dun Laoghaire) are doing largely better than the rest, but still higher than the likes of the other counties on alert at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

So new roadmap announced which has pubs open for onsite service in some form from levels 1 - 4 (takeaway only in level 5), yet Dublin is on stage 2 and a bit, and the pubs are being told they can't open.

On the same day they announce the roadmap, they don't abide by it!

My goodness you're going to be busy with that pub crawl and all those house parties to go to :rolleyes:

Why? A pub crawl is one day. I've all next week off work. I was planning to do it locally on Monday to see the different setups of the local pubs, I can't do that now, so I'll head down the country later in the week.

I'll more than likely end up at a house party over the weekend (when house parties generally happen), as I said it's a friends 40th, so we'll be out for that an no doubt end up at an after party when we get home from town.

Hardly the Great Gatsby. :rolleyes:

You could catch any of the below. Now get back under your bed. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_infectious_diseases

Hardly the Great Gatsby. :rolleyes:

That story was more credible. ;)

That story was more credible. ;)

Yes, it’s not credible that someone would have a 40th birthday. I’m like Hans Christian Anderson here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I forgot to bring my mask with me to Subway and a newsagent at lunch today. I coughed too (once) as my mouth was dry when I went to speak. How many decades of the rosary is it for this?

Advertisement