Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I forgot to bring my mask with me to Subway and a newsagent at lunch today. I coughed too (once) as my mouth was dry when I went to speak. How many decades of the rosary is it for this?

You need to drink a fresh pot of scald to atone for your sins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I forgot to bring my mask with me to Subway and a newsagent at lunch today. I coughed too (once) as my mouth was dry when I went to speak. How many decades of the rosary is it for this?

Eleven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Eleven

Thanks Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

These are probably the most disgusting posts I have ever read on boards.

It’s alright, I’m pretty thick-skinned about it and in fairness to that poster, I appreciate that you can’t really know what my situation is like unless you are actually living it. I had no comprehension of it before I faced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

These are probably the most disgusting posts I have ever read on boards.
    this is a thread about covid not cancer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

this is a thread about covid not cancer

Still disgusting all the same. You'd want to be some prick to make such comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

85 mins to lock down. What happens at midnight? Army on the streets!

Let me guess. Your cousins brothers uncles grandad saw a whatsapp about it

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-advice-changes-mean-people-can-fly-on-holidays-to-some-countries-from-next-week-39536394.html

So if I'm from Dublin, I could fly to greenlist country and return and not get tested or isolate.... However, I'm advised not to leave Dublin to go to another county, but this is advise..... unless we go to level 3 for Dublin, which makes it a guideline... but that's not the law.

Got it, thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-advice-changes-mean-people-can-fly-on-holidays-to-some-countries-from-next-week-39536394.html

So if I'm from Dublin, I could fly to greenlist country and return and not get tested or isolate.... However, I'm advised not to leave Dublin to go to another county, but this is advise..... unless we go to level 3 for Dublin, which makes it a guideline... but that's not the law.

It's been the case for a while that people are encouraged not to holiday abroad, since the lockdown was lifted. That hasn't changed, isn't complicated really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is perfectly logical, if you go to another greenlist country then you are less likely to get Covid there than if you stay in Dublin and if you bring Covid there then that is someone else's problem. If you go elsewhere in the 26 counties and you bring Covid there then you are still a problem to the Irish government, so you should stay home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

"Dublin" does not exist as an administrative entity. There are four administrative entities in the geographic County OF Dublin. How can restrictions apply to an area which does not exist as a legal entity?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Dublin will only be locked down again when the health service is at the point of total collapse

That's how important we are

Never forget that

When is it not 'at the point of total collapse'?

Pascal said something about locking down certain neighborhoods. Sounds like WW2. COVID ghettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

"Dublin" does not exist as an administrative entity. There are four administrative entities in the geographic County OF Dublin. How can restrictions apply to an area which does not exist as a legal entity?

It can be set up with any arbitrary border.

What might vary is the enforcement or popular understanding of the borders declared for the restriction. That's why counties have been used so far for restrictions - they may not be targeting the "hot" areas, but our rulers think they are more understandable.

It's not like states in the USA where each "administrative area" has a separate set of laws and police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It's not the case numbers alone that matter, it's the ratio that counts. Dublin could have 100 cases per day and Leitrim could have 10 cases per day. Which county would you say is doing better?

Population Dublin 2019: 1,380,000
    Population Leitrim 2019: 32,000

Those who would like to see Dublin shut down, not for health concerns, but for selfish, bigoted reasons should really take a long hard look at themselves. Some are making harmless jokes, but other posters I have seen consistently be negative against anyone born in Dublin. They are the same people who bitch and whine about water being tapped from the Shannon and yet enjoy the benefits paid for by the prosperity of the big smoke ;)

Even in a pandemic we still have the "Ireland v Dublin" mentality. It's a bizarre thing and I wonder if other European countries have that same thing against their capital. The irony is that most Dubs couldn't give a toss. I certainly support a "nobody in, nobody out" policy. In particular "nobody in" - we might have a bit of peace on our roads and in our parks then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Surely once all this is over with we need to hve a proper review of how we handled this thing?

Listing people who died with Covid is stupid. Old people die anyways. Old people died of the flu last winter. Listing all the deaths I think will turn out to be wrong and shown to scare people into thinking it's much worse than it is.

The government has spent billions on taxpayers money to "protect public health". Roughly 4,000 people have died in the last 10 years in road traffic collisions. There's **** roads all through the country. Why didn't we spend billions on new roads to save these lives?

The government have set a benchmark now, that lives are worth unlimited amounts of money. How can they keep the economy shut down but not afford to keep a hospital A&E open for example?

They run ads on television telling you not to drink drive and it is illegal just like speeding is, your analogy is very good.

Think how high the number of road deaths would be if they didn't enforce the law on driving intoxicated, probably as high as the number of deaths from coronavirus if we let it run wild through our population unhindered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Antares35 wrote: »
    Even in a pandemic we still have the "Ireland v Dublin" mentality. It's a bizarre thing and I wonder if other European countries have that same thing against their capital. The irony is that most Dubs couldn't give a toss. I certainly support a "nobody in, nobody out" policy. In particular "nobody in" - we might have a bit of peace on our roads and in our parks then :)

Paris definitely has it. Hatred on one side, pity on the other.

Why? A pub crawl is one day. I've all next week off work. I was planning to do it locally on Monday to see the different setups of the local pubs, I can't do that now, so I'll head down the country later in the week.

I'll more than likely end up at a house party over the weekend (when house parties generally happen), as I said it's a friends 40th, so we'll be out for that an no doubt end up at an after party when we get home from town.

Hardly the Great Gatsby. :rolleyes:

You and people like you are the reason covid is spreading like wildfire. You are absolute disgrace. The only thing that would be more entertaining than seeing you in a cell would be seeing you struggle to breathe with covid (once you didn’t spread it to anyone else) caught by your blatant ignorance and refusal to listen to what we are being asked to do to stop spreading the virus.

Don’t go to house party’s, don’t go to 40th birthday’s, don’t go to pubs and especially don’t go down the country to pubs possibly bringing the virus with you. Just stay at home, it’s very easy.

You, your ilk and the anti-maskers etc are the dregs of society and any sh*t that comes your way is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Antares35 wrote: »

That sort of thing is in Australia as well, with the Melbourne/Sydney thing.I mean it's like this right Cork is the real capital of Ireland, Liverpool is the real capital of England, and Melbourne is the real capital of Australia.Just please have the good grace and decency, to leave us alone, stay put in Dublin, and keep yere covid to yereselves.:D :pac: ;) :cool:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

That sort of thing is in Australia as well, with the Melbourne/Sydney thing.I mean it's like this right Cork is the real capital of Ireland, Liverpool is the real capital of England, and Melbourne is the real capital of Australia.Just please have the good grace and decency, to leave us alone, stay put in Dublin, and keep yere covid to yereselves.:D :pac: ;) :cool:

Gladly! :) Once you all have the decency to leave us alone too. I love a good bank holiday when all the country folk head "down home" and we've a bit of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

This is perfectly logical, if you go to another greenlist country then you are less likely to get Covid there than if you stay in Dublin and if you bring Covid there then that is someone else's problem. If you go elsewhere in the 26 counties and you bring Covid there then you are still a problem to the Irish government, so you should stay home.

I know it's not travel related, but have a read of this restaurants instagram feed:
    https://www.instagram.com/lastapasdelola/

Imagine trying to be a business owner like them trying to plan around this confusing mess.

Imagine trying to plan your holidays, or playing it safe and planning your 'staycation' like Failte Ireland promotes, but being told 'you can travel but we don't recommend it' by the finance minister.

Or more generally, looking at the impact of this virus in the data and numbers and thinking 'this actually aint that bad for the vast majority of people'

So, their words make 'sense' but are not 'logical'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Nonsense, Scouse people regulary say they are Scouse not English, so how would Liverpool be the real capital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

You and people like you are the reason covid is spreading like wildfire. You are absolute disgrace. The only thing that would be more entertaining than seeing you in a cell would be seeing you struggle to breathe with covid (once you didn’t spread it to anyone else) caught by your blatant ignorance and refusal to listen to what we are being asked to do to stop spreading the virus.

Don’t go to house party’s, don’t go to 40th birthday’s, don’t go to pubs and especially don’t go down the country to pubs possibly bringing the virus with you. Just stay at home, it’s very easy.

You, your ilk and the anti-maskers etc are the dregs of society and any sh*t that comes your way is well deserved.

Hypocritical much? Calling someone a disgrace for their actions then wishing extreme suffering (which covid doesn't cause for healthy people) on someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

GT89 wrote: »
    Hypocritical much? Calling someone a disgrace for their actions then wishing extreme suffering (which covid doesn't cause for healthy people) on someone.

He's another one of these guys...

“The Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and rebuke, in all you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly, on account of the evil of your deeds, because you have forsaken Me. The Lord will make the pestilence cling to you until He has consumed you from the land where you are entering to possess it. The Lord will smite you with consumption and with fever and with inflammation and with fiery heat and with the sword and with blight and with mildew, and they will pursue you until you perish.
    The heaven which is over your head shall be bronze, and the earth which is under you, iron. The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down on you until you are destroyed."

Deuteronomy 28:20-24

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lock dublin down, barricade the cnuts in :)

I know it's not travel related, but have a read of this restaurants instagram feed:
    https://www.instagram.com/lastapasdelola/

Imagine trying to be a business owner like them trying to plan around this confusing mess.

Imagine trying to plan your holidays, or playing it safe and planning your 'staycation' like Failte Ireland promotes, but being told 'you can travel but we don't recommend it' by the finance minister.

Or more generally, looking at the impact of this virus in the data and numbers and thinking 'this actually aint that bad for the vast majority of people'

So, their words make 'sense' but are not 'logical'.

ive a staycation booked for next week.

if the govt advise me not to go, but dont order it, are they going to refund me?

if not, will travel insurance or whatever refund me?

will the venue themselves cancel?

its a ****in ridiculous move. lockdown or dont.

ppl blame the govt for a pandemic, which is moronic.

ppl blame the govt for ppl not complying with public health advice, which is moronic.

but clear instruction is surely a low bar to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Diublin needs to go into lokdown since last week.
    Idiots making the decision based on economical constraints.
    Busineeses must stay open. this is being left way too late.

this thread is also going way off kilter.
    Unfollowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Will a Dublin lockdown include the airport and train stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Will a Dublin lockdown include the airport and train stations?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

No.

Then what’s the point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

GT89 wrote: »

The Covid zealots are not nice people. They want pain and suffering so that their version of the virus is proven right. It’s an almost religious fervour. They cannot stand to see people get on with their lives. They’ll eventually a) come around or b) get even more entrenched and extreme because they’re too embarrassed to admit they were wrong.

Advertisement