Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can’t prevent death. It’s inevitable

Very profound, edgy and worldly (as you stare in to the distance from that mountain top with your trusting wolf at your side, your hunting knife ready at your hip and your quiver of arrows ready etc...)

In the real world, back at your keyboard - with social distancing, hand washing & proper etiquette while avoiding contact with the vulnerable we can protect them and keep the economy alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

your one of those the old and sick are going to die anyway types?

Is there any other kind of type?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

polesheep wrote: »
    Is there any other kind of type?
    ones that don't want old and sick to get covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

But that's not what you wrote. You said "Going to die". Everyone who is born will die.

Yet you were happy to tell off a terminally ill person for enjoying the final few months of his life...

Is Covid the only thing that matters maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

polesheep wrote: »
    But that's not what you wrote. You said "Going to die". Everyone who is born will die.
    you missed the word 'anyway'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The elephant in the room is the schools. There's no social distancing going on.
    NPHET know it, Glynn knows it, Nolan kows it, the politicians know it. . . .but it is all being swept under the carpet with even reports that the HSE are telling teachers to return to classes tomorrow despite having been in the presence of a COVID carrier today.
    Compare that to the over-reaction of when Donnelly felt a bit unwell this week.

We haven't even reached the end of the second full week of schools opened in Ireland and Dublin is effectively going back to lockdown.

Before anyone states that the situation was getting worse before schools opened. . . Well this is true and this can be brought back to early August when things started going wrong.

There was a gradual increase in the 14 day average rate with that value being 25.8 cases per day on Aug 1st to 109.7 cases per day on Aug 31st.
    Today, September 17th, this figure is now 202.8 cases per day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The elephant in the room is the schools. There's no social distancing going on.
    NPHET know it, Glynn knows it, Nolan kows it, the politicians know it. . . .but it is all being swept under the carpet with even reports that the HSE are telling teachers to return to classes tomorrow despite having been in the presence of a COVID carrier today.
    Compare that to the over-reaction of when Donnelly felt a bit unwell this week.

We haven't even reached the end of the second full week of schools opened in Ireland and Dublin is effectively going back to lockdown.

Before anyone states that the situation was getting worse before schools opened. . . Well this is true and this can be brought back to early August when things started going wrong.

There was a gradual increase in the 14 day average rate with that value being 25.8 cases per day on Aug 1st to 109.7 cases per day on Aug 31st.
    Today, September 17th, this figure is now 202.8 cases per day

I'm going with Communion and confirmation parties been the huge spreaders.

I've seen parties of up to 100 people at a time.

You're elephant in the room doesn't stick because you have no basis for it to stick.

I'm going with Communion and confirmation parties been the huge spreaders.

I've seen parties of up to 100 people at a time.

You're elephant in the room doesn't stick because you have no basis for it to stick.

The virus is in schools with 1000+ people in them and no social distancing.

I've never come across a communion/conformation party with 100 people in my life. Some weddings don't have that many.

The virus is in schools with 1000+ people in them and no social distancing.

I've never come across a communion/conformation party with 100 people in my life. Some weddings don't have that many.

1000+ in one room?

• Advertisement

1000+ in one room?

In one building yes. . . 30+ in 7m by 7m rooms.
    Classes change every 40 mins and corridors are packed.

In one building yes. . . 30+ in 7m by 7m rooms.
    Classes change every 40 mins and corridors are packed.

Educate yourself.

That isn't the situation.

Classrooms don't change anymore and there isn't 1000+ in one room.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Educate yourself.

That isn't the situation.

You're a troll.

So blocked.

You're a troll.

So blocked.

When backed into a corner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm going with Communion and confirmation parties been the huge spreaders. I've seen parties of up to 100 people at a time.

100+ people In one household during the pandemic in 2020? Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Does anybody know what time the next meeting is too confirm the lockdown 2moro ?

Remember - Martin, Varadka & Donnelly do not like the L word. Rest assured, it won't be mentioned by any of them at the press conference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if your in Dublin get out they are locking it up for 3 weeks go out and spread your seed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The ramifications of the Dublin lockdown will be felt nationwide and they'll be huge.

For those (and there's a good few of you) calling for a Dublin lockdown because of bigoted and childish begrudger sports reasons remember that economic activity in the Greater Dublin Area accounts for over 50% of Ireland’s GDP, Dublin represents 40.1% (€109,610m) of the State’s total GVA. The Greater Dublin Area generates 58% of Ireland’s personal income tax revenue, while Dublin alone generates 51%.
    The Greater Dublin Area generates 67% of Ireland’s corporate tax revenue, while Dublin alone generates 63%. Dublin has 31.7% of the country’s working population and 62% of those employed in Ireland’s financial, ICT, communication and professional services sectors are located in the Greater Dublin Area.

Dublin is home to the top 5 global software companies, 9 of the world’s top 10 pharmaceutical companies, half of the world’s top 50 banks, 250 global financial institutions, 12 of the world’s top 20 insurance companies, 18 of the world’s top 25 med tech companies and the top 4 global aviation leasers.

Whilst restrictions are needed and people need to take responsibly, it's important that we don't start turning against each other like the rats in a sewer on this thread and on other platforms. Finger pointing, blame culturism, "needing to know who's infected" and all the other nastiness veiled as concern for vulnerable people isn't washing well.

You're making fools of yourselves and in years to come you'll be viewed as the craven weak that folded in the pandemic.

The rats in the sewer.

Do as I say, not as I do apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dublin is home to the top 5 global software companies, 9 of the world’s top 10 pharmaceutical companies, half of the world’s top 50 banks, 250 global financial institutions, 12 of the world’s top 20 insurance companies, 18 of the world’s top 25 med tech companies and the top 4 global aviation leasers.

Barring those from the pharmaceutical companies who work in labs literally all of those companies employees can do their jobs from the comfort of their home with very little upheaval or problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Morning all, does anyone know what time there might be an announcement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 csc121212

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Shut Dublin airport train stations too.
    Dublin for Dubliners.

They dont seem keen to repeat Kildare type restrictions in Dublin.
    But I would not expect pubs to open on 21st.

yeah, airport : shrinke.me/gwZDXH

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Paso Fino wrote: »
    Morning all, does anyone know what time there might be an announcement?

Really difficult to predict given this showers track tecord but.....

Given the fact they've added another absurd bruocratic layer to the decision making process, namely an oversight Committee, who'll oversee NPHET"s recommendations , then digest said recommendations, try it's damndest to protect government and deflect blame for said NPHET recommendations, whisper gently into their political masters ears and then pass ultimate decisions to the Cabinet sub Committee, who'll examine the PR implications, formulate an utterly incoherent response, give Leo and his cohorts time to do annonomous press briefings and confuse a befuddled Michael Martin. We'll then move to full cabinet, await Eamonn Ryan's expected afternoon nap to end and assuming they are not self isolating (from PR & political backlash), full cabinet will meet.

Tea & Biscuits will be served at 5pm and a press conference soon after where after 2 days of utter mayhem, confusion and mixed messages, we should learn what we already know.

Basically another day of absolute farce ahead :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What do they mean by no social gathering?
    Can not people meet outside?

(I'm not in Dublin, just curious)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

They vast majority of people in Dublin have done the right things around covid but like law and order generally in this country there is a cohort in this country do what they want selfishly not caring about their communities. Those that never worked a day in their lives can do as they please under our PC snowflake regime .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Really difficult to predict given this showers track tecord but.....

Given the fact they've added another absurd bruocratic layer to the decision making process, namely an oversight Committee, who'll oversee NPHET"s recommendations , then digest said recommendations, try it's damndest to protect government and deflect blame for said NPHET recommendations, whisper gently into their political masters ears and then pass ultimate decisions to the Cabinet sub Committee, who'll examine the PR implications, formulate an utterly incoherent response, give Leo and his cohorts time to do annonomous press briefings and confuse a befuddled Michael Martin. We'll then move to full cabinet, await Eamonn Ryan's expected afternoon nap to end and assuming they are not self isolating (from PR & political backlash), full cabinet will meet.

Tea & Biscuits will be served at 5pm and a press conference soon after where after 2 days of utter mayhem, confusion and mixed messages, we should learn what we already know.

Basically another day of absolute farce ahead :)

Precisely, Ciara Kelly on newstalk breakfast calling it as it is. She seems to be the only journalist in the country with a voice against the madness of the government letting the immunologists rule the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What do they mean by no social gathering?
    Can not people meet outside?

(I'm not in Dublin, just curious)

Presumably with restaurants and pubs etc only allowed to serve outdoors and takeaway, it's looking like no large gatherings.

I see this morning, hotel in tullamore reporting 20 new cases from an event held there last, week. Up to 60 people attended an invent, played golf and dined in local restaurants over a weekend.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

What is the benifit to anyone of cancelling all juvenile matches? In lockdown times kids were not at school so not mixing therefore it could have had some impact although outdoor activites are low risk anyway. The situation is completely different now - kids (30 plus in class or 100 odd in halls) are sitting indoors all week together but are not allowed to go outside and play a match together with their local clubs? This is total nonsense and shows no imagination or nuanced thinking - its big broad strokes and to hell with mental and physical health considerations of our young people - what is left for them now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Very profound, edgy and worldly (as you stare in to the distance from that mountain top with your trusting wolf at your side, your hunting knife ready at your hip and your quiver of arrows ready etc...)

In the real world, back at your keyboard - with social distancing, hand washing & proper etiquette while avoiding contact with the vulnerable we can protect them and keep the economy alive.

Or we can get on with life. That’s what I’m gonna do.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I see this morning, hotel in tullamore reporting 20 new cases from an event held there last, week. Up to 60 people attended an invent, played golf and dined in local restaurants over a weekend.

Word is locally.... That most of these people travelled from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm off work at the moment because I'm potential close contact of someone who has been referred for a test. Have to pay gp for sick letter and work might not even pay me for days I've missed but I couldn't take the risk. Some people are idiots.

Don't get the bit about idiots.
    Regardless of personal thoughts as to the Covid thing. I for one would not be paying an employee who cleared off because of two unknowns, they might have been contact with someone may or may not have anything wrong with them.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement