Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

323 wrote: »
    Don't get the bit about idiots.
    Regardless of personal thoughts as to the Covid thing. I for one would not be paying an employee who cleared off because of two unknowns, they might have been contact with someone may or may not have anything wrong with them.

My reply was to a post about people who were out and about with symptoms. I wasn't calling my employer an idiot. More the fact I was taking extra precautions in contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Regardless of personal thoughts as to the Covid thing. I for one would not be paying an employee who cleared off because of two unknowns, they might have been contact with someone may or may not have anything wrong with them.

Yeah, the HSE don’t even advise people to be off work in that situation. Actually I know they don’t, because I had a workmate had to go for a Covid test If she’d proven positive we’d have been sent home to isolate and be tested. Turned out she was grand.

He’s basically taking days off for nothing and shouldn’t be paid.

And for what it's worth I didn't "clear off" I was advised by both HR and my GP to restrict my movements as a precaution until results are back.

Yeah, the HSE don’t even advise people to be off work in that situation. Actually I know they don’t, because I had a workmate had to go for a Covid test If she’d proven positive we’d have been sent home to isolate and be tested. Turned out she was grand.

He’s basically taking days off for nothing and shouldn’t be paid.

See my post above. The issue wasnt would I be paid, it was about taking precautions. You've taken my post out of the original context and completely misinterpreted it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm not taking about parties. Checkpoints means on the roads for travel.

They can't check houses for private parties at all.

But road checkpoints will have no effect on the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

They can't checkpoint the border roads. This will be a plea, not a law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Precisely, Ciara Kelly on newstalk breakfast calling it as it is. She seems to be the only journalist in the country with a voice against the madness of the government letting the immunologists rule the country.

Lots of people hold contrarian views for the sake of their profile. If they were in a decision making role they would move Dublin to a level 3 in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The current case increases are being driven by young people sick to the teeth of having their social outlets denied to them for a virus that poses them no risk.

The restrictions will have a negligible effect on this but it will cause considerable economic damage to businesses.

It's facial at this stage what is happening. 6 months in and they haven't a clue what they're doing just 'restrictions, restrictions, restrictions'. while the economy crashes and burns and 10's of billions get added to the debt burden.

The virus is going to outlast our ability to maintain these quasi-lockdowns and then we'll be back to square 1 with a basket-economy and an unsustainable debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't follow the logic of closing restaurants when the problem is in private homes (according to them). If the preference is for controlled settings then youd want to continue re-opening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

A lot of headlines saying indoor dining will be banned,i think a lot of it is sensationalist clickbait nonsense. and i dont think this will be announced,it would be a mistake on every possible level.I have no faith in MM but surely even he is not so dumb.We wait and see....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

plodder wrote: »
    I don't follow the logic of closing restaurants when the problem is in private homes (according to them). If the preference is for controlled settings then youd want to continue re-opening
    It's part of a range of measures aimed at reducing the number of locations where you might have people congregating.

HBC08 wrote: »
    A lot of headlines saying indoor dining will be banned,i think a lot of it is sensationalist clickbait nonsense. and i dont think this will be announced,it would be a mistake on every possible level.I have no faith in MM but surely even he is not so dumb.We wait and see....

The reports are that NPHET has recommended and government may accept. Will have to wait and see this afternoon/evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's part of a range of measures aimed at reducing the number of locations where you might have people congregating.
    Unfortunately I expect so. If people are not happy about allowing the Guards to break up house parties which are not following the rules, the only options available to the government to decrease spread is to shut down the legal venues where people congregate. Which is completely unfair of course, but there's not much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

But surely you must see that its moving people from controlled environments (where there is negligible spread) to uncontrolled envoirnments (where the major problem is)?
    If this happens i would really worry about our leadership.

But surely you must see that its moving people from controlled environments (where there is negligible spread) to uncontrolled envoirnments (where the major problem is)?

I think the thinking is that message will.help reduce people visiting houses as much. And Gardai have new powers to break up house parties

It's not that uncontrolled unless there are a lot of visitors. It's moving people back to locations where the contacts would generally all be known and far more limited.

hmmm wrote: »
    Unfortunately I expect so. If people are not happy about allowing the Guards to break up house parties which are not following the rules, the only options available to the government to decrease spread is to shut down the legal venues where people congregate. Which is completely unfair of course, but there's not much choice.
    So, we have to be seen to do something, anything .. other than what would deal with the actual problem? How do other countries deal with the house party issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Remember when Tegnell said that Sweden were implementing a sustainable approach that they could live with for months to years? And half of boards.ie had to get out the smelling salts? Yeah, this is the sh1t he was talking about

Eod100 wrote: »
    See my post above. The issue wasnt would I be paid, it was about taking precautions. You've taken my post out of the original context and completely misinterpreted it

HSE policy is that if someone close to you is going for a test you have no need to isolate. If they return as a positive for Covid, then you isolate. I know, I work for them and have had multiple colleagues go for testing. I don't believe that your GP doesn't know this.

And you were the one who brought up pay "and work might not even pay me for days I've missed"

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I agree, closing pubs and restaurants now would a step too far. The government needs to make up their minds at which level Dublin should be for the next 3 weeks. If it's level 3, pubs, restaurants, hotels are meant to be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Remember when Tegnell said that Sweden were implementing a sustainable approach that they could live with for months to years? And half of boards.ie had to get out the smelling salts? Yeah, this is the sh1t he was talking about

And all they had to do was let the virus kill off 6000 of their people.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Except that they were killing the oldies to do so. Not a good plan and borderline sociopathy.

Except that they were killing the oldies to do so. Not a good plan and borderline sociopathy.

The rate of over 65 deaths is Sweden per 1,000,000 is pretty much the same as Ireland.

Except that they were killing the oldies to do so. Not a good plan.
    We killed more of our oldies than they did by the peak of the first wave. Nobody would say it was part of any plan.

We killed more of our oldies than they did. Nobody would say it was part of any plan.
    If your plan is "brilliant" like Sweden, then it must be. Quite a flaw in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Too little too late, Dublin should have been in lockdown at least 2 weeks ago.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

526676.jpeg

Sweden’s brilliant plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Because if the issue is in the community, it'll be brought into restaurants. There's been a lot of whinging that pubs/restaurants haven't had clusters, but once it's so widespread it'll just be brought into them and spread that way.
    It's preventative, not reactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The elephant in the room is the schools. There's no social distancing going on.
    NPHET know it, Glynn knows it, Nolan kows it, the politicians know it. . . .but it is all being swept under the carpet with even reports that the HSE are telling teachers to return to classes tomorrow despite having been in the presence of a COVID carrier today.
    Compare that to the over-reaction of when Donnelly felt a bit unwell this week.

We haven't even reached the end of the second full week of schools opened in Ireland and Dublin is effectively going back to lockdown.

Before anyone states that the situation was getting worse before schools opened. . . Well this is true and this can be brought back to early August when things started going wrong.

There was a gradual increase in the 14 day average rate with that value being 25.8 cases per day on Aug 1st to 109.7 cases per day on Aug 31st.
    Today, September 17th, this figure is now 202.8 cases per day

Now hang on a second. You can't seriously expect Mammy or Daddy to stay home and parent their children? That would involve mammy and daddy looking away from their phones for more than 5 mins. No, no, let's just shove Johnny and Mary back into school, they can be somebody else's problem for most of the day.

• Advertisement

Now hang on a second. You can't seriously expect Mammy or Daddy to stay home and parent their children? That would involve mammy and daddy looking away from their phones for more than 5 mins. No, no, let's just shove Johnny and Mary back into school, they can be somebody else's problem for most of the day.

Not everyone is unemployed.

Advertisement