Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Just stay at home for 2 weeks unless essential
    Stop second guessing the rules
    Report your neighbours if they are acting the boll@cks
    All the talk of communions? I thought Dublin had gone atheist
    And stop whingeing about no holidays

Home life in Dublin must be shoyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Guards have been called before by Dubliners only to be told "shure all we can do is ask them to turn down the music".

And of course, being the wasters the Guards are, they didn't even do that

The question remains: is it now illegal to have a house party? Be it indoors or a large outdoor gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People were told to book staycations, they cancelled or postponed foreign trips.

Cant see too many people not going if they have paid, assuming the venue doesnt cancel the booking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

odyssey06 wrote: »
    People were told to book staycations, they cancelled or postponed foreign trips.

Cant see too many people not going if they have paid, assuming the venue doesnt cancel the booking.

Why not? Its a sunk cost anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

^^ sounds like a Monty Python skit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just walked down Camden St to pick up dinner, looked fairly lively inside and outside places. Great to see people giving support to the businesses who needlessly have to close tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'd have thought those looking for extra measures would'vet taken them themselves and stayed at home.

I'm not saying MM is a liar, but sure he's a FF taoiseach.......

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Guards have been called before by Dubliners only to be told "shure all we can do is ask them to turn down the music".

And of course, being the wasters the Guards are, they didn't even do that

The question remains: is it now illegal to have a house party? Be it indoors or a large outdoor gathering

The Gardai are wasters and you're wondering if it is illegal to have house parties? Jesus, the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Some people don't need to be told what to do and those that do need to be told probably won't obey the guidelines anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Given the government’s ability to blur the lines between what is enforced and what is advisory, is the travel thing an advisory with no legal enforcement or will be see checkpoints with a legal requirement for you to not leave the county etc?

MM is saying the gardai and DAA will be using discretion at the airport for people travelling abroad. “Are you from Dublin? Sorry you can’t get on this plane”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Just stay at home for 2 weeks unless essential
    Stop second guessing the rules
    All the talk of communions? I thought Dublin had gone atheist
    And stop whingeing about no holidays

Home life in Dublin must be shoyte

Communions take place in May anyway.

The Gardai are wasters and you're wondering if it is illegal to have house parties? Jesus, the hysteria.

The Guards in Dublin, by and large, do fúck all

Have a read of this recent Reddit thread and some of the replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/iopyj3/do_the_gards_actually_do_anything_in_dublin/

Sample
    My wife got assaulted and racially abused near Trinity by 3 teenage girls. She called the Gardai, no one came. She ended up hiding in the Spar near there in the back until I came. I came from Rathmines, it took me a half hour. On the walk to Pearce Street station, we saw 5 Gardai just walking around. And yet not one of them could have looked into an assault and bunch of girls abusing a woman.

It's a ****ing disgrace how little the Gardai do in Dublin. I know if they did that in Kilkenny, Carlow or Kildare where I've lived in they would have called around to see. There is a certain amount of sympathy I have for the Dublin Gardai with how much they have to deal with but they are super ****ing lazy

EDIT: And even worse is she did a report and waited for word back about what the outcome was and they never actually said a word.

This was obviously caught on a bunch of CCTV as well. I'm not saying they should be thrown even in jail for it and they are teenagers so they wouldn't have gotten a lot of repercussions but that got filed in the toilet.

None of the "pffft! that's Reddit" snobbery that goes on here please. There's good and bad posters on both Boards and Reddit Ireland

The thread linked gives many stories of the Dublin Guards appalling laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Communions take place in May anyway.

They didnt... were rescheduled to August and September.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

The whole thing is a shambles.

I would have no problem if we were actually on Level 3 in Dublin but we are not.

All indoor food places closed eh thats Level 4.

'Wet' pubs closed eh thats Level 5.

So the great new road map that they only released this week you might aswell rip it up + put it in bin.

The whole point of it was to ensure that were wouldnt have these random closing of various parts of society.

Hmmmm mad that figures have shot up across all of Europe since schools came back but ah surrr nothing to do with schools.

By way I do want schools back but they should have to follow Levels like everyone else. Cant have whole of society shuting down in Level 5 but schools open.

Absolute Gob****es in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Anyone who had a wedding planned for the capital tomorrow, is that curtains for their day now?
    That's very tough.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Anyone who had a wedding planned for the capital tomorrow, is that curtains for their day now?
    That's very tough.

No about the only reasonable thing was that weddings can go ahead with 50 guests for this weekend.

However still very unclear what happens to Dublin couples getting married next weekend but in wedding venue outside Dublin. Very few Dubs actual have their reception in Dublin.

faceman wrote: »
    Given the government’s ability to blur the lines between what is enforced and what is advisory, is the travel thing an advisory with no legal enforcement or will be see checkpoints with a legal requirement for you to not leave the county etc?

MM is saying the gardai and DAA will be using discretion at the airport for people travelling abroad. “Are you from Dublin? Sorry you can’t get on this plane”

Zero legal enforcement of the travel advisory, the worst will be Gardai stopping cars to ask a question and advise you to not travel but won't be telling you you have to turn around.

Pints on the menu tonight anyway. One last hurrah in Dublin. Then Kilkenny on Thursday for a country session. Tomorrow is touch and go, the bar we have booked has a terrace so fingers crossed.

Is alcohol really that important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

He's clearly on the wind up. Wouldn't entertain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

appledrop wrote:
    Hmmmm mad that figures have shot up across all of Europe since schools came back but ah surrr nothing to do with schools.

Except thats not entirely true now is it.
    Many countries had children returning to pre-school and primary education as far back as June

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

appledrop wrote:
    By way I do want schools back but they should have to follow Levels like everyone else. Cant have whole of society shuting down in Level 5 but schools open.

I think we need to understand that education is a matter of necessity and social integrity, like it has been in war time. Is does not bode well for children who do not go through the education system.
    Seriously, there is no comparison between luxuries people enjoy and ensuring education continues. It's likely hard enough for them already.

It seems like the plan is there is no real plan for Corona to co-exist with restaurants, pubs etc. Sure, close everything for 3 weeks and see if cases drop? Then what? Re-open and then If there's a similar increase then shut everything again?

Really annoyed about this. There's lots of cafes, restaurants, coffee shops where I live that were getting back to normal and were doing a good job at dealing with the restrictions. And now this... It's gonna be a really sh*t weekend for a lot of small businesses and their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cases are extremely high in Dublin I think the level 3 is warranted. Once the numbers come down Dublin will be downgraded to level 2. Yeah it sucks but if it saves lives then it's worth it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Cases are extremely high in Dublin I think the level 3 is warranted. Once the numbers come down Dublin will be downgraded to level 2. Yeah it sucks but if it saves lives then it's worth it.

If they come down. None of this is going to do anything to combat the actual causes, in fact it's arguable that they're only going to do the opposite.

Restrictions or not, this will all rest on people not being vermin. It always has done.

Is asking somebody else if alcohol is important to them really that important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I was out for dinner in the city centre. Very eerie vibe around the place, just like the foreboding feeling in the final days before the proper lockdown. It was terribly sad knowing that essentially all of the waiting staff were going to be let go overnight. Dame Street has been a shadow of itself for 6 months but tonight was especially disheartening.

This is in our hands, folks. Time to be responsible and see this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If they come down. None of this is going to do anything to combat the actual causes, in fact it's arguable that they're only going to do the opposite.

The causes are social interaction, the restrictions limit these so of course the numbers will come down over time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Equium wrote: »
    I was out for dinner in the city centre. Very eerie vibe around the place, just like the foreboding feeling in the final days before the proper lockdown. It was terribly sad knowing that essentially all of the waiting staff were going to be let go overnight. Dame Street has been a shadow of itself for 6 months but tonight was especially disheartening.

This is in our hands, folks. Time to be responsible and see this through.

So what'll happen next?

Shut down? Everything grand? Four weeks later, same problem?

At least by then there'll be a lot less to actually shut down.

• Advertisement

The causes are social interaction, the restrictions limit these so of course the numbers will come down over time.

Social interactions will still happen, and most likely increase now, in private homes.

Advertisement