Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

is_that_so wrote: »
    Based on where the cases per 100K were and where they are now is a good reference point. The DoH and the government think they have and that's all that matters.

Tipperary had 0 cases during the week there.
    Had it been locked down, people would be saying "lockdown worked".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Doyler92 wrote: »
    With Dublin being in this level 3 lockdown, is it illegal to travel outside Dublin? Or is it a guideline to not travel outside the county?

You can't get sued with guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

road_high wrote: »
    Advisory only. No legal standing or penalty

Why are there news reports of new Garda checkpoints then? We live in Dublin on the border and travel out for kids swimming lessons etc. Are we breaking a law by leaving. Will there be checkpoints and can we refuse to turn back if stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

robbiezero wrote: »

Kildare’s cases have bubbled away at a fairly high rate. Laois and Offaly too to a lesser extent. There’s absolutely no evidence their August lockdown had any effect outside of people’s own personal behaviour and increased measures that were taken.

Why are there news reports of new Garda checkpoints then? We live in Dublin on the border and travel out for kids swimming lessons etc. Are we breaking a law by leaving. Will there be checkpoints and can we refuse to turn back if stopped?

They can have checkpoints- they’ve said themselves their purpose is to advise and educate people (whatever that means). There is no law you are breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

They can have checkpoints- they’ve said themselves their purpose is to advise and educate people (whatever that means). There is no law you are breaking.

They were turning people in cars around .... sending them back in opposite direction.

Was that legal at the time?

Is it now?

They were turning people in cars around .... sending them back in opposite direction.

Was that legal at the time?

Is it now?

Think the first lockdown yes there was a penalty involved for non compliance. I’m not a legal expert but from what I gather there isn’t now, it’s advisory only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    House parties will continue this weekend in Dublin and it's a fúcking disgrace they're doing so

Given the new Levels etc, if the Guards are called, can they close down house parties or outdoor events over 15 people? (or whatever the current outdoor limit is now, it changes so much)

Have Guards got the power to now do it?

Anyone that calls the guards on their neighbours should be shunned within the community.

Anyone that calls the guards on their neighbours should be shunned within the community.

Sadly these curtain twitchers feel they’ve been given carte Blanche. Pathetic people

is_that_so wrote: »
    It worked in the last such regional restriction so why would Dublin be different? The message is about reducing the number of contacts. As always most people doing that will have an effect.

People got fed up by the end of the last one and won't follow it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Advisory only. No legal standing or penalty

I won't have to cancel my trip to Cork so

I ended up cancelling all my plans after some further deliberation.

The Guards in Dublin, by and large, do fúck all

Have a read of this recent Reddit thread and some of the replies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/iopyj3/do_the_gards_actually_do_anything_in_dublin/

Sample

None of the "pffft! that's Reddit" snobbery that goes on here please. There's good and bad posters on both Boards and Reddit Ireland

The thread linked gives many stories of the Dublin Guards appalling laziness

I was assaulted in a nightclub a few years ago, on CCTV, witnessed by bouncers and punters. Gave the Gardai the lads name and address, was asked what happened in the lead up to the assault, nothing had happened, we hadn’t had words or anything. He stood behind me, waited for me to turn around and head butted me. Cop said he didn’t believe me. I told him it was all on CCTV Etc. Said he’d look into it. That was about 10 years ago now, never heard anything back. Still have issues breathing through my nose since then.

Is alcohol really that important to you?

Alcohol no, but having the craic yes. You only live once.

sterz wrote: »
    He's clearly on the wind up. Wouldn't entertain it.

Had about 8 of theses last night. Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Had about 8 of theses last night. Delicious

Jaysus, they must've gotten spilt everywhere!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I was assaulted in a nightclub a few years ago, on CCTV, witnessed by bouncers and punters. Gave the Gardai the lads name and address, was asked what happened in the lead up to the assault, nothing had happened, we hadn’t had words or anything. He stood behind me, waited for me to turn around and head butted me. Cop said he didn’t believe me. I told him it was all on CCTV Etc. Said he’d look into it. That was about 10 years ago now, never heard anything back. Still have issues breathing through my nose since then.

wife handbag was stolen off the back of her chair in our local about 4 years ago. She called me and I immediately went online and tracked her brand new iPhone. Watched the phone travel down the M1 onto the M50 and onto a house in Tallaght. It stopped there and gave me the exact address that the phone and handbag with purse and money was. I took my laptop to our local Garda station and told them and to my absolute amazement they told me there was nothing they could do. CCTV in the pub showed them lifting the handbag and I had their address and An Garda told me tough luck paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Judging by your posts on here Id say you deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Anyone that calls the guards on their fellow nightclubbers should be shunned within the community.

sterz wrote: »
    Anyone that calls the guards on their fellow nightclubbers should be shunned within the community.

After someone nutted them just for a laugh? Yeah, good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

After someone nutted them just for a laugh? Yeah, good one.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114663226&postcount=1210

hth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

wife handbag was stolen off the back of her chair in our local about 4 years ago. She called me and I immediately went online and tracked her brand new iPhone. Watched the phone travel down the M1 onto the M50 and onto a house in Tallaght. It stopped there and gave me the exact address that the phone and handbag with purse and money was. I took my laptop to our local Garda station and told them and to my absolute amazement they told me there was nothing they could do. CCTV in the pub showed them lifting the handbag and I had their address and An Garda told me tough luck paddy.

Out beach fishing late one night with a friend of mine who's a barrister.
    We stopped off in Ennis at around 1 am for chips.
    Walking through the town and a guard seen me loose my footing along the pathway and pushed me back onto the pedestrian path and said that I'd want to be careful walking through the town drunk.
    I sober and driving.

My friend who was with me read him the rights act and pointed out the flaws in the guard's judgment and actions and told him that he broke the law.
    The guard politely apologised and said sorry guys it's just a busy night and sometimes we make mistakes.
    We left it there with harmless banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

robbiezero wrote: »

& Tipperary was a county with a lot of cases about 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Absolutely

Apart from violence against women and children

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Oh yeah, poor young people. Mildly inconvenienced for several months, its not like they have another 60 or 70 years of life ahead of them to spend partying if they so desired or anything. Better cram in all the house parties they can right now!!

You think people are young for 60 or 70 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

jams100 wrote: »
    You can have 25 people at a wedding and you can have 25-30 people in a classroom BUT you can't play a football match with 14 people?
    Logic?
    I dont get it? The chances of catching covid at an outdoor football match are extremely low how is that seen the same as going into a restaurant for example?

Logic?
    1 and 2nd level.education is ringfenced
    How many weddings will be on this week? Maybe 80 to 100. 2500 people max
    How many football matches? There could be 30 to 40,000 people playing this week.
    Its about cumulative risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We are going for the swimming lessons

It's a very controlled environment, and one of the few things the kids have these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Not a hope in hell Dublin gets a lockdown by itself.

Too many making decisions from Dublin for it to happen.

This aged well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All this talk of a lockdown... so we can't eat or drink indoors? I feel sorry for businesses but this wont have any affect on most of us, it's not like we've gone back to March levels. I wonder will this make any difference on the numbers anyway, from the pubs/restaurants I visited it didn't seem like it would be somewhere covid would easily spread.

Advertisement