Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be great if young people finally start kicking back against the never ending restrictions to their social lives.

I'm very hopeful we'll see plenty of similar scenes in the coming weeks.

Dublin is closer to level 5 than returning to level 2

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Absolutely

Apart from violence against women and children

100%. I meant anyone that calls them for having friends over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

All this talk of a lockdown... so we can't eat or drink indoors? I feel sorry for businesses but this wont have any affect on most of us, it's not like we've gone back to March levels. I wonder will this make any difference on the numbers anyway, from the pubs/restaurants I visited it didn't seem like it would be somewhere covid would easily spread.

Won't have any affect on most of us?

What do you think most people do?

Sit at home talking ****e on teams and thinking they a genius cause they can do a vlookup?

No

Covid is taking off in places like Dublin where people actually have to ****ing work for a living, to keep the lights on.

It's taking off where people work in shops, restaurants and other service industries and then they bring it home to their families and into schools.

You know people, who have to deal with other people as part of their day job, those jobs still exist

Working class areas like Blanchardstown, Cabra, Mulhuddart, Tyrellstown have the highest infections rate in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Scum of the earth. :mad:

Had to quote this one - although there are many other posts like it either delighted that Dublin is locked down, or outraged that people are living their lives.

This is what Covid has brought us to. Leave aside for a moment the economic turmoil and actual deaths - it's this aggressive, me-feinism (dressed up as public health concern) and it's rampant among those who have an inferiority complex about Dublin and its capital/primary economic centre status or who are completely brainwashed by the 24/7 fear and doom-mongering from the media.

Get over yourselves. Seriously. Dublin, it's population and businesses are essential to the prosperity of the country. The tax generated there subsidises half the rest of the country. The FDI it attracts provides direct and indirect employment for people and businesses all over the country. That's to name just a few

There's a lot more to life than childish GAA rivalry. I don't even live in Dublin anymore but I'm not at all happy about the effects this lunacy will have in the short and medium terms.

CV-19 is not dangerous to 99% of the country yet we have responded as though there's a flesh-eating virus on the rampage. We continue to make stupid knee-jerk decisions on the basis of extreme medical conservatism and political cowardice. We continue to put the needs of a small few ahead of the vast majority - the first of whom can be better served through personal responsibility on their part and common sense all round.

But the attitude from some here and the almost glee that the "feckin Dubs are finally getting what they deserve" is frankly idiotic, short-sighted and helps no-one.. not least themselves given that they'll be looking to that same city/people to employ them or subsidise their welfare when the economic pain that IS on the way hits locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Shops are packed today, lol busier than last weekend. I'm a bit torn no this. I just think more education was needed and being more strict on people who didn't already follow the rules set in place, I'm not sure these new reatrictions are anything other than a government panicking and trying to look proactive because it won't help bring down the infections I don't think.

But just my opinion. I don't get paid to be a politician o my opnion is still just that, not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Dublinandy3

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

CV-19 is not dangerous to 99% of the country yet we have responded as though there's a flesh-eating virus on the rampage. We continue to make stupid knee-jerk decisions on the basis of extreme medical conservatism and political cowardice. We continue to put the needs of a small few ahead of the vast majority - the first of whom can be better served through personal responsibility on their part and common sense all round.

I'm not Irish so couldn't comment on the GAA stuff but this part here, is key. Personal responsibility is what's needed.

I work with a colleague in Sweeden and I asked him a few months ago how ti was over there, given they're doing ti differently. He said the reason they don't have to take action is because everyone is following the recommendations anyway, wearing masks, not meeting in groups, social distancing etc so it's taken as a given so the government assumes the population can behave like adults.

That's all what is needed here, eprsonal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Shops are packed today, lol busier than last weekend. I'm a bit torn no this. I just think more education was needed and being more strict on people who didn't already follow the rules set in place, I'm not sure these new reatrictions are anything other than a government panicking and trying to look proactive because it won't help bring down the infections I don't think.

But just my opinion. I don't get paid to be a politician o my opnion is still just that, not fact.

That’s brilliant to hear- people are not afraid and voting with their feet and wallets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had to quote this one - although there are many other posts like it either delighted that Dublin is locked down, or outraged that people are living their lives.

This is what Covid has brought us to. Leave aside for a moment the economic turmoil and actual deaths - it's this aggressive, me-feinism (dressed up as public health concern) and it's rampant among those who have an inferiority complex about Dublin and its capital/primary economic centre status or who are completely brainwashed by the 24/7 fear and doom-mongering from the media.

Get over yourselves. Seriously. Dublin, it's population and businesses are essential to the prosperity of the country. The tax generated there subsidises half the rest of the country. The FDI it attracts provides direct and indirect employment for people and businesses all over the country. That's to name just a few

There's a lot more to life than childish GAA rivalry. I don't even live in Dublin anymore but I'm not at all happy about the effects this lunacy will have in the short and medium terms.

But the attitude from some here and the almost glee that the "feckin Dubs are finally getting what they deserve" is frankly idiotic, short-sighted and helps no-one.. not least themselves given that they'll be looking to that same city/people to employ them or subsidise their welfare when the economic pain that IS on the way hits locally.

I’m in the outer Leinster area and certainly no delight about the Dublin lockdown- because I know it could be us tomorrow.
    Our hotels etc all depend massively on the Dublin market, daily commuters and remote workers need Dublin for their livelihoods.
    This is a massive mistake and typical of the stupid knee jerk reactions and hysteria that have defined Covid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GT89 wrote: »

Oh man I got a laugh at of that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thierry12 wrote: »

what I meant was the current lockdown basically means we just can't eat or drink indoors, and we all still have to go to work etc. Is this really going to keep the numbers down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

I'm not Irish so couldn't comment on the GAA stuff but this part here, is key. Personal responsibility is what's needed.

I work with a colleague in Sweeden and I asked him a few months ago how ti was over there, given they're doing ti differently. He said the reason they don't have to take action is because everyone is following the recommendations anyway, wearing masks, not meeting in groups, social distancing etc so it's taken as a given so the government assumes the population can behave like adults.

That's all what is needed here, eprsonal responsibility.

Ha Ha big fat liar caught red handed, The sweeds aren't wearing masks today let alone weeks/months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

What do you think most people do?

Sit at home talking ****e on teams and thinking they a genius cause they can do a vlookup?

No

Covid is taking off in places like Dublin where people actually have to ****ing work for a living, to keep the lights on.

It's taking off where people work in shops, restaurants and other service industries and then they bring it home to their families and into schools.

You know people, who have to deal with other people as part of their day job, those jobs still exist

Working class areas like Blanchardstown, Cabra, Mulhuddart, Tyrellstown have the highest infections rate in the country

And how many of those infections have required that the person be hospitalised?

The daily hysteria over case numbers is mind boggling.

Great post.

The cure for COVID-19 in Ireland is emigration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone encountered Garda checkpoints on roads or tourist locations outside the county yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GT89 wrote: »

What a selfish mé féiner.
    Covid19 has magnified the difference in people, some have risen to occasion and some have shown their true colours and it is not pretty.

The cure for COVID-19 in Ireland is emigration.

Go and live under Trump by all means Ireland has enough mé féiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Covid19 has magnified the difference in people, some have risen to occasion and some have shown their true colours and it is not pretty.

Indeed.. the amount of virtue-signalling, group-think nonsense and attacks towards anyone not part of the herd/"solution" is sickening. People so fearful or needing to show how compliant they that they are causing real divisions and issues among communities as we're seeing online and which will soon spill onto the streets no doubt.

But that's not what you meant I'm sure.

Indeed.. the amount of virtue-signalling, group-think nonsense and attacks towards anyone not part of the herd/"solution" is sickening. People so fearful or needing to show how compliant they that they are causing real divisions and issues among communities as we're seeing online and which will soon spill onto the streets no doubt.

The definitely didn’t mean the same thing as you because they were correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

2 things here really:

Source on the above? The report saying "Dublin North Central and Dublin North west are riddled with Covid" are now two weeks old and, last time I checked, no longer the case

Tyrellstown is working class? Really? I never thought of it as that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    2 things here really:

Source on the above? The report saying "Dublin North Central and Dublin North west are riddled with Covid" are now two weeks old and, last time I checked, no longer the case

Tyrellstown is working class? Really? I never thought of it as that
    I would, there’s a large immigrant population there although to be fair most aren’t working so maybe working class isn’t the correct description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I would, there’s a large immigrant population there although to be fair most aren’t working so maybe working class isn’t the correct description

Yeah working class is wrong word but it definitely has a reputation of being deprived with social issues, you can buy a nice house there for 50k or so less than actually working class parts of blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

So, many people are genuinely making efforts based on recommendations and you and others like you don't appreciate being called out for not also joining the effort. Instead, you call these people sheep, accuse them of group think and virtue signalling. You see how selfish that is?

If you were at work and someone wasn't pulling their weight and antagonising everyone else at the same time, how would you feel?

I'm making every effort, and yes I'm fed up. Yes I'm tired. Yes I'm frustrated. Yes I see the bigger picture and no I'm not a selfish **** who has absolutely no ability to commit to something, and even if I didn't commit to it at least I'd have the decency to not be a dick about it.

Get over yourself. There is no grand conspiracy. Stop making excuses and just accept that you're selfish.

What a selfish mé féiner.

Go and live under Trump by all means Ireland has enough mé féiners.

Risen to what occasion? The occasion of destroying the economy, livelihoods, humanity, small businesses and mental health?

It is to be a mé féiner to point out that the destruction of liberty is diabolical?

circadian wrote: »
    So, many people are genuinely making efforts based on recommendations and you and others like you don't appreciate being called out for not also joining the effort. Instead, you call these people sheep, accuse them of group think and virtue signalling. You see how selfish that is?

If you were at work and someone wasn't pulling their weight and antagonising everyone else at the same time, how would you feel?

I'm making every effort, and yes I'm fed up. Yes I'm tired. Yes I'm frustrated. Yes I see the bigger picture and no I'm not a selfish **** who has absolutely no ability to commit to something, and even if I didn't commit to it at least I'd have the decency to not be a dick about it.

Get over yourself. There is no grand conspiracy. Stop making excuses and just accept that you're selfish.

Based on nonsensical recommendations.

How long do you suggest people 'pull their weight' for? Until there's nothing left? Until every small business in the country has been destroyed?

Dionaibh wrote: »

How long do you suggest people 'pull their weight' for? Until there's nothing left? Until every small business in the country has been destroyed?

How well do you think the country would fare if our already low capacity health system got overrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How well do you think the country would fare if our already low capacity health system got overrun?

Well given we had a lock down to give us time to improve it, in 6 months what has changed

Absolutely fine since hardly anyone has to be hospitalised for it.

The bizarre thing is all these people getting tested when they feel fine. I don't know what that's about.

Well given we had a lock down to give us time to improve it, in 6 months what has changed

I don't disagree with the sentiment, government should have been spending that time shoring up the medical resources.

I also believe that because the recession was an expected byproduct of lockdown measures that everything possible should be done to support businesses affected, large sums of money should be set aside for this.

However, these shortcomings do not negate the fact that we need to restrict the spread and outbreaks. The knock on effect of an outbreak could be devastating, not only will it effect the economy it would also effect the economic abilities of many and lead to deaths of those who would in normal times be fit to work.

Either of way it's a psychological mess and an economic mess. It's better to try an maintain some control rather than let things spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dionaibh wrote: »

It's very probable that all these places could stay open if people were responsible
    and stopped acting the pup.
    We're not reducing cases lot by closing places that have taken all the precautions.
    The people making the decisions have no risk, the civil servants will get their salary whether they can work from home or not, Hospitals seem to be ignoring the waiting lists and putting very sick patients at risk. If it's not Covid they don't want to hear
    All because the government can't be arsed to put legislation in place to make the guards to their jobs to prevent the spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I don't disagree with the sentiment, government should have been spending that time shoring up the medical resources.

I also believe that because the recession was an expected byproduct of lockdown measures that everything possible should be done to support businesses affected, large sums of money should be set aside for this.

However, these shortcomings do not negate the fact that we need to restrict the spread and outbreaks. The knock on effect of an outbreak could be devastating, not only will it effect the economy it would also effect the economic abilities of many and lead to deaths of those who would in normal times be fit to work.

Either of way it's a psychological mess and an economic mess. It's better to try an maintain some control rather than let things spiral.

All very well-meaning, but I don’t see what the statistical evidence is to suggest that an outbreak would affect in any significant way the age groups in the population who are economically active. The HSE’s own statistics (link below - see page 9) provide that just over 100 people under the age of 65 died due to Covid since the pandemic reached Ireland — and 70 of those deaths were in the 55-64 age group (bearing in mind also that many who have died due to Covid were suffering from serious conditions already). There is simply no evidence to say that Covid would potentially have a significant effect on the main working population. In fact, that statistic has been very clear from a very early stage of this virus’ spread, and is a factor of the virus that provides at least some leeway to devise a sustainable long term strategy for dealing with the virus without making a chunk of your working population economically obsolete.

It is, as you say, an economic and psychological mess — so what’s needed now is a sustainable way of living with this virus. We cannot continue on a path of seeking an unattainable moral perfection through on-off lockdown because there is also a moral duty to mitigate the devastating impact that economic strife will have on our society.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20200918%20-%20Website.pdf

Advertisement