Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I see we're bashing poor people tonight.

Consistency on here, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I see we're bashing poor people tonight.

Is there a night off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Everyday that passes the more it feels like a casedemic. News outlets are definetly focusing on cases instead of deaths in their headlines. 0 zero deaths today and only 27 deaths in UK vs 4700 cases.

Really feel its all over hyped at this stage.

Deaths lag cases even upto 6 weeks. Its not a virus that kills you quickly it can take a number of weeks. Anyone with a brain can acknowledge this. Casedemic and those type of phrases only used by illogical thinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-84-new-cases-three-deaths-amid-warning-dublin-infections-may-double-in-fortnight-1.4350710%3fmode=amp

The above makes for worrying reading. Reproduction number at 1.4. Worrying stuff. Perhaps it's time for a Dublin lockdown. What do you think?

I think you got your subliminal wish!
    Was in a restaurant last night - the staff were being paid off and told they probably wouldn’t be back as the place couldn’t survive - it was heartbreaking to see it being played out in front of you. People devastated and wondering how they would pay their rents etc.

Then tonight I walked down for a takeaway and there were about 30 youths in a circle noshing from bags and another 8 or 10 hanging around playing with an electric scooter and sharing a giant bag of chrisps - all those sacrifices and jobs lost for nothing if parents do not control their children and teenagers and manage where they are and who they are with. Its all a bit of a farce unless everyone pulls their weight. Then we have elderly in nursing homes not allowed a single visitor and living and dying their final
    months alone - for what if people will not pull their weight and play their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The top 5 worst areas for Covid in Dublin are widely known for having social issues

And you don't see any correlation with that data?

The correlation is that well off areas have less population density , less people in bigger houses , more likely not to work in factories etc
    The data does not specify that is due to “ feral youth “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

wadacrack wrote: »
    Deaths lag cases even upto 6 weeks. Its not a virus that kills you quickly it can take a number of weeks. Anyone with a brain can acknowledge this. Casedemic and those type of phrases only used by illogical thinkers

I'm well aware of the lag. That why I said it feels like a casedemic rather than it 'is' a casedemic. Of course nothing is absolute and it may well ramp up but casedemics are a known phenomenon (swine flu 2009) so not sure why it's illogical thinking.

I'm just waiting to see when and where the 2nd wave of deaths kick off. Cases in the uk have been rising since the start of July but deaths continue to fall or flatline for example. Thats well over the 6 weeks you refer to. Ciara Kelly alludes to this discrepancy also.

Is there any country that has seen significant rise in deaths rates a 2nd time round?

Was in a restaurant last night - the staff were being paid off and told they probably wouldn’t be back as the place couldn’t survive - it was heartbreaking to see it being played out in front of you. People devastated and wondering how they would pay their rents etc.

Then tonight I walked down for a takeaway and there were about 30 youths in a circle noshing from bags and another 8 or 10 hanging around playing with an electric scooter and sharing a giant bag of chrisps - all those sacrifices and jobs lost for nothing if parents do not control their children and teenagers and manage where they are and who they are with. Its all a bit of a farce unless everyone pulls their weight. Then we have elderly in nursing homes not allowed a single visitor and living and dying their final
    months alone - for what if people will not pull their weight and play their part.

The Gardaí really should have been given the power to crack skulls where you've crowds of little scrotes like that. Have the fear strong in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Anyone hazard a guess for what the plan is for 3 weeks time?

1. The virus mysteriously goes away all by itself
    2. We stay at this level 3 or worse for a year/until vaccine
    3. We lift restrictions then or eventually, virus comes back, the circle continues

Have they got a plan

3. We lift restrictions then or eventually, virus comes back, the circle continues

Have they got a plan

The numbers will determine any plan.

The numbers will determine any plan.

Utterly futile. This thing is not going away.

• Advertisement

The Gardaí really should have been given the power to crack skulls where you've crowds of little scrotes like that. Have the fear strong in them.

Maybe shoot them, like in the Philippines or the USA? Bring back Lugs Brannigan?

Maybe shoot them, like in the Philippines or the USA? Bring back Lugs Brannigan?

That would be too far. Just knock seven bells out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Have they got a plan

I wonder if it might just level off of its own accord. Jump in cases for opening up in restrictions, further jump for schools, and as people get more comfortable with the opening up etc.
    Too early to say yet but this coming week will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have they got a plan

Further 3 weeks after, I dont think cases will drop much and they will be hesitant to open up as Schools would then be in jeopardy. Some other counties may also be on level 3 by then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Iv'e no problem with that, as long as they apply the same measures for stuff like golfgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Have they got a plan

My guess is that they'll extend it in a couple of weeks by another two weeks as they probably won't won't to go back a level just before the bank holiday weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Utterly futile. This thing is not going away.

Of course not.

We have 9 months of ramping up and down restrictions until there's a vaccine or herd immunity.

In the uk they are considering a lock down for two weeks when the schools take mid term break. They have acknowledged that the case numbers are too high and the R number is too high and eventually they will get out of control. They have decided that it would be convenient to lockdown when schools have a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would bet my mediocre life savings that in 3 weeks cases will be up in Dublin and the lockdown will be extended. And when we hit November NPHET will be banging on about winter flu season, the next 3 weeks are crucial and will want pubs closed for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I would bet my mediocre life savings that in 3 weeks cases will be up in Dublin and the lockdown will be extended. And when we hit November NPHET will be banging on about winter flu season, the next 3 weeks are crucial and will want pubs closed for Christmas.

Sounds about right. No way will pubs be open at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The problem for all health authorities is that they are all looking at each other and following the same approach. With the very slow pace on therapeutics, better virus insights and of course vaccines that's all they have for now. There's a real risk that level 5 will be invoked at some point and that will have worse consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

is_that_so wrote: »
    The problem for all health authorities is that they are all looking at each other and following the same approach. With the very slow pace on therapeutics, better virus insights and of course vaccines that's all they have for now. There's a real risk that level 5 will be invoked at some point and that will have worse consequences.

What will level 5 be like, its it a full lockdown all over the country like in march?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

If this thing keeps going it'll be like living in a Marxist society.

It'll be ok for people who are on less than 35,000 a year but anyone used to more will be struggling to get by.

So the whole stress level on society will turn itself inside out, some will feel more equal more will be feeling left out because all of a sudden they're no longer able to feel better than others.

As the old saying says It'll probably separate the men from the boys, which wouldn't be hard.

Unless this virus fades out fast I can only visualise a lot of IT jobs going down the swanny and a job stacking shelves in tesco or sweeping the roads will be attractive to those who fear getting their hands dirty or seen working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

We can’t do lockdown/closure forever. What’s the plan?

Maybe if young and healthy people aren’t afraid of getting the virus, let them. Let it spread in a controlled fashion (as long as the health service isn’t overwhelmed), and then we can reach a point where the elderly and vulnerable can emerge again into the open.

More than half of them won’t even know they’ve had it and recovered.

What’s the alternative? I see no plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have they got a plan

They had a plan earlier in the week.

Took them about five minutes to deviate from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

nthclare wrote: »
    If this thing keeps going it'll be like living in a Marxist society.

It'll be ok for people who are on less than 35,000 a year but anyone used to more will be struggling to get by.

So the whole stress level on society will turn itself inside out, some will feel more equal more will be feeling left out because all of a sudden they're no longer able to feel better than others.

As the old saying says It'll probably separate the men from the boys, which wouldn't be hard.

Unless this virus fades out fast I can only visualise a lot of IT jobs going down the swanny and a job stacking shelves in tesco or sweeping the roads will be attractive to those who fear getting their hands dirty or seen working.

What do you mean anyone on less than €35000 will be ok?

We have to eat and pay bills in the same way as the higher earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mr.S wrote: »
    Walked through town on my way home last night, around 10-11pm. We're back to people drinking outside in large groups on the street / parks / canals.

Grand Canal was like it was peak summer on a bank holiday weekend. People clearly don't care anymore.

Good!

donaghs wrote: »
    We can’t do lockdown/closure forever. What’s the plan?

Maybe if young and healthy people aren’t afraid of getting the virus, let them. Let it spread in a controlled fashion (as long as the health service isn’t overwhelmed), and then we can reach a point where the elderly and vulnerable can emerge again into the open.

More than half of them won’t even know they’ve had it and recovered.

What’s the alternative? I see no plan.

That will be possibly the outcome soon- the extremely vulnerable will be told to isolate - the rest of society get on with it. I don’t see any alternative tbh. Nothing we’ve tried so far has worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Mr.S wrote: »
    Walked through town on my way home last night, around 10-11pm. We're back to people drinking outside in large groups on the street / parks / canals.

Grand Canal was like it was peak summer on a bank holiday weekend. People clearly don't care anymore.
    That's what the government gets when they implement fruitless restrictions without any enforcement or fines on the people who are spreading the virus around the city

Ohmeha wrote: »
    That's what the government gets when they implement fruitless restrictions without any enforcement or fines on the people who are spreading the virus around the city

Lol. Fine people for being outdoors etc now is it?
    No it shows that you can’t control people for this long or to this level. Even with fines people will find another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

bush wrote: »
    Sounds about right. No way will pubs be open at Christmas.

It is more important that cases are reduced so that families can gather at Christmas.

Advertisement