Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

vid36 wrote: »
    They whole country will be level 3 before the end of the week, but the real level 3 not the Dublin version.

No, its time to follow sweden, personal responsibility is key, we can't do what we're currently doing for another 12 months, yes some will act irresponsibly in terms of house parties but they are doing that right now anyway. I think everyone would be in favour of tougher penalties on house parties and let the pubs and restaurants that act responsiblely and implement the current guidelines to reopen. Then it becomes a decision that each individual can make as regards to what they want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What a tosser.
    Such ****e talk out of him... "If I was a pub owner I would be opening the doors" you wouldn't your bollocks mate. You wouldn't be giving yourself a fine.
    I mean if we can't take public health advice from a truck driver....who can we?!?....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, all those Swedish people in the care homes who died should have known better as should all the pensioners walking around their neighbourhoods in the fresh air, they should be locked up so you can go to the pub.

Why would pensioners be locked up so people can go to the pub?

Are you saying that it is unsafe for pensioners to go out for a walk in the fresh air? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

gmisk wrote: »
    I mean if we can't take public health advice from a truck driver....who can we?!?....

Hope he's running in the next election.

Votail Dwayne Mountain Dew Camacho!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone see the videos of massive party outside last night at Oliver Bond st flats? No wonder we're locked down ffs. Southsiders at it again.

They should fine the fcekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They should fine the fcekers

Or stop giving them everything for free.

As a society we created this monster.

Stop listening to their sob stories every time they run to the media.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jams100 wrote: »
    No, its time to follow sweden, personal responsibility is key, we can't do what we're currently doing for another 12 months, yes some will act irresponsibly in terms of house parties but they are doing that right now anyway. I think everyone would be in favour of tougher penalties on house parties and let the pubs and restaurants that act responsiblely and implement the current guidelines to reopen. Then it becomes a decision that each individual can make as regards to what they want to do.
    But what do we do if someone isn't responsible? What if pubs or restaurants don't act responsibly?

Public flogging?

We've shown so far that people don't act responsibly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

But what do we do if someone isn't responsible? What if pubs or restaurants don't act responsibly?

Public flogging?

95% of people will act responsible, the people who won't act responsible, won't act responsible regardless of what restrictions are implemented.

I know there are many factors, such as the amount of testing, age of population, hospital capacity but Sweden arent getting the second wave ireland and other countries are, at least there strategy is actually living with the virus, shutting down every couple of months to me is not living with the virus

Public flogging?

Forced quarantine. Anyone under 50 who tests positive is shipped off to the now-enclosed Phoenix Park where they can stay until they test negative. Chuck them a sleeping bag and a few bivvy bags and let them have at it. They can hunt deer if they're hungry, the deer are always in need of a bit of a cull anyway. Drop a few flyers in about foraging for the veggies and vegans in there.

And the rest of us can get back to enjoying our delicious pints and frappacinos and wood fired pizzas or whatever.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What an ignorant gimp.

They should ban front facing cameras off phones because every **** in the country feels they have to either make a statement or do a comedy routine into one.

At least all normal people know to ignore this one as soon as he said yisser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh i think you are way off the mark there . Many pensioners had parents who had TB , Polio and Scarlet Fever . Many pensioners had siblings who died of measles and other viral illness
    I think that age group are well aware of how a virus spreads and are one of the most compliant groups

Indeed and many pensioners would be aware of aunt or uncles they never met because they died in the Spanish flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Indeed and many pensioners would be aware of aunt or uncles they never met because they died in the Spanish flu.

Loads of people would be aware of aunts or uncles they never met for a whole host of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Forced quarantine. Anyone under 50 who tests positive is shipped off to the now-enclosed Phoenix Park where they can stay until they test negative. Chuck them a sleeping bag and a few bivvy bags and let them have at it. They can hunt deer if they're hungry, the deer are always in need of a bit of a cull anyway. Drop a few flyers in about foraging for the veggies and vegans in there.

And the rest of us can get back to enjoying our delicious pints and frappacinos and wood fired pizzas or whatever.

I'm up for it, sounds reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

faceman wrote: »
    Current measures won’t make a difference in Dublin. So a full move to phase 4 and the rest of the country phase 3

Does anyone think moving Dublin to Phase 4 could realistically happen over the coming week? Seems far more likely that Phase 3 will be extended. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JTMan wrote: »
    Does anyone think moving Dublin to Phase 4 could realistically happen over the coming week? Seems far more likely that Phase 3 will be extended. Right?

I'd say moving to Dublin 4 likely not sure about the rest of the country outside the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'd say moving to Dublin 4 likely not sure about the rest of the country outside the cities.

We are already on Level 4 in Dublin for most things so won't make much difference. Of course they dont want to admit it but very clear when you look at Level 4 graph.

Its been totally pointless anyway having no effect whatsoever.

Can't blame pubs + restaurants so whats left?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

appledrop wrote: »
    We are already on Level 4 in Dublin for most things so won't make much difference. Of course they dont want to admit it but very clear when you look at Level 4 graph.

Level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What is the effing point? Schools still open, shops open, and so on. It is a total joke.

Moving it up to Level 4 will mean Jack Sh!t. really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I feel sorry for those with pared down Wedding plans (I know two couples), who have had to postpone twice already. But hey it's all about the schools. And that's where this is emanating from, but they don't want us to think that, heaven forbid.

So if it isn't the schools what is it? Remember the shops have been open all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

saabsaab wrote: »
    Level 5?

Doesn't matter what Level we go to the numbers wont go down while schools remain open.

770 cases just reported in Northumbria University and only 78 had symptoms.

We need a frank + open discussion about what we want to achieve. Numbers are not going to go down with schools open. Now I'm not saying close them all, but we do need to accept we have to live with certain number of cases as pay off for schools staying open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

What is the effing point? Schools still open, shops open, and so on. It is a total joke.

Moving it up to Level 4 will mean Jack Sh!t. really.

Yeah the levels and lockdown don’t mean anything anymore. I teach in Dublin but don’t live there. I travel in and out everyday. The shops are open. Schools are packed. I don’t see any guards on the roads. Restaurants are open. Apart from not being able to wander into a pub in Dublin for a pint without food, I can’t see any restrictions in my day to day life. Level 1, Level 4, it’s all the same. It’s old life minus pubs. They either do a proper lock down or let things run their course. Saying there are restrictions when there aren’t really is just pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Yeah the levels and lockdown don’t mean anything anymore. I teach in Dublin but don’t live there. I travel in and out everyday. The shops are open. Schools are packed. I don’t see any guards on the roads. Restaurants are open. Apart from not being able to wander into a pub in Dublin for a pint without food, I can’t see any restrictions in my day to day life. Level 1, Level 4, it’s all the same. It’s old life minus pubs. They either do a proper lock down or let things run their course. Saying there are restrictions when there aren’t really is just pointless.

Um pubs and restaurants are not open for indoor dining in Dublin.

To say there is no difference is a tad cheeky. I think this thread on Reddit sums up Dublin best right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/j3vz38/whats_there_to_do_in_dublin_these_days/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in city centre just now for first time in a few weeks.
    So quiet and so many shops closed.
    The only people wandering about were mostly lost looking tourists and a few alcoholics/junkies.
    I popped into aldo on Henry Street. They are having a massive closing down sale sad to see.
    There is going to be a massive amount of long established shops etc that are never going to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The only people wandering about were mostly lost looking tourists and a few alcoholics/junkies.
    I popped into aldo on Henry Street. They are having a massive closing down sale sad to see.
    There is going to be a massive amount of long established shops etc that are never going to reopen.

Few far-right folks around Custom House too apparently. Not a mask to be seen, nor a brain cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Well the anti-mask protestors have been let sit their arses down on Grafton Street this afternoon will accelerate the death of the high street in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Well the anti-mask protestors have been let sit their arses down on Grafton Street this afternoon will accelerate the death of the high street in the city

They couldn't give a sh*t, O. None of them work anyway so no jobs to lose, they spend all day "researching" on Facebook. Shame for the vast majority of Dubs that these people will keep the numbers high there, and eventually lead to more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

appledrop wrote: »

Young people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Young people.

cyclists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Newbie20 wrote: »

bull**** post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

JTMan wrote: »

It's just a matter of time IMHO. It's flu season, the peak of it is usually December. So I would expect cases to keep going up until then.

One might think the politicians made a bad move opening schools but it actually doesn't have that much of an effect. There are forces here at play beyond their control.

Advertisement