Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gmisk wrote: »
    I was in city centre just now for first time in a few weeks.
    So quiet and so many shops closed.
    The only people wandering about were mostly lost looking tourists and a few alcoholics/junkies.
    I popped into aldo on Henry Street. They are having a massive closing down sale sad to see.
    There is going to be a massive amount of long established shops etc that are never going to reopen.

Town is jam packed 7 days a week. What the **** are you talking about?

Time for a nationwide lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Don't be rude there is no need for it.
    I was in town from 10-1115ish yesterday that was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I was in city centre just now for first time in a few weeks.
    So quiet and so many shops closed.
    The only people wandering about were mostly lost looking tourists and a few alcoholics/junkies.
    I popped into aldo on Henry Street. They are having a massive closing down sale sad to see.
    There is going to be a massive amount of long established shops etc that are never going to reopen.

Incredibly insensitive to be referring to people as junkies. You've no idea what people have gone through in their lives to get to a stage where they are homeless and in deep levels of addiction. They are also among the highest risk people during Covid-19.

Have a bit of compassion and be thankful that neither you or your loved ones are living such hell on a daily basis.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Incredibly insensitive to be referring to people as junkies. You've no idea what people have gone through in their lives to get to a stage where they are homeless and in deep levels of addiction. They are also among the highest risk people during Covid-19.

Have a bit of compassion and be thankful that neither you or your loved ones are living such hell on a daily basis.

No, junkies are junkies. There’s plenty of other threads on here to play woke, any amount of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When I passed a group of people literally shooting up heroin in a doorway...I am sorry but they are junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

When I passed a group of people literally shooting up heroin in a doorway...I am sorry but they are junkies.

Yep, that's generally what people who are addicted to drugs tend to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

At 613 cases, you'd have to think it's a long way back to double figures with schools staying open. I can't see a situation where schools, dine in restaurants and pubs are open at the same time in Dublin this side of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Seems to have risen since the schools opened I don't want another lockdown but if they do they should stop flights as well from coming in otherwise it's stupid having flights in/out while the rest of the country is on lockdown. I really hope we don't cases are gonna always be rising we are going to end up in a spiral of lockdowns and reopens if thats the way they approach things not actually living with the virus but letting it control us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its a political decision now.
    If the government want to go against medical advice then they can indeed not go to level 5.
    But then they have to answer for things if they go wrong. They would be responsible for any increased amounts of deaths.
    No politician will put themselves in this situation, so they have to follow nphets advice.

This means that right now the government is putting pressure on nphet to change their advice.
    So that the government can just say "we followed nphet advice" if things go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Incredibly insensitive to be referring to people as junkies.
    ? why single out that word, have you no issue with the similar term "alcoholic" which they also used?

I would find it just as offensive (which is not at all, but some do). You realise junk is a term for heroin?

If it was shortened to alco would it suddenly be "incredibly insensitive"?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As numbers still high, level 4 or 5 for Dublin now?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Sorry that ship has well sailed. It’ll be nationwide all the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry that ship has well sailed. It’ll be nationwide all the way now.

Yes nationwide level 5 for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

MarkY91 wrote: »

Jam packed? Yea right, Town is and has been dead for weeks

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

What if we don't get a vaccine by March? Just keep continuing locking down? Despite the amount of work being done on vaccines there's no guarantee they will be effective and even if they are we are realistically talking the middle of next year (which I think, would be best case scenario)

jams100 wrote: »
    What if we don't get a vaccine by March? Just keep continuing locking down? Despite the amount of work being done on vaccines there's no guarantee they will be effective and even if they are we are realistically talking the middle of next year (which I think, would be best case scenario)

Then yes, we keep locking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Between Level 3 and Level 4, the main difference I see is that non essential retail is shut.
    Can't see them putting Dublin on Level 4 in the run up to Christmas given the economic impact of that versus actual impact on virus spread...

I can see the country going to Level 5 around Halloween mid-term for 2-3 weeks as a 'circuit break'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Then yes, we keep locking down.

So when this comes to an end how are we supposed to upgrade our hospital system?
    Out of interest does going to level 5 put you onto the pup?
    Does the mental health impact have any effect on your thoughts of moving to level 5?

jams100 wrote: »
    So when this comes to an end how are we supposed to upgrade our hospital system?
    Out of interest does going to level 5 put you onto the pup?
    Does the mental health impact have any effect on your thoughts of moving to level 5?

I’ll leave it there once mental health is mentioned. The catch-all excuse for all of the “I don’t want” brigade these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ll leave it there once mental health is mentioned. The catch-all excuse for all of the “I don’t want” brigade these days.

Incredibly narrowminded.

Here is an interesting thought; There can be those who use mental health related issues to avoid adhering to Covid restrictions, AND (hold on now because this is where it gets complicated) people who have their mental health negatively impacted by Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Incredibly narrowminded.

Here is an interesting thought; There can be those who use mental health related issues to avoid adhering to Covid restrictions, AND (hold on now because this is where it gets complicated) people who have their mental health negatively impacted by Covid.

There can be but it's the former we are complaining about. 'Narrow minded' is often used as a slur on those who don't have the same opinion as those accusing them of 'narrowmindedness'

saabsaab wrote: »
    There can be but it's the former we are complaining about. 'Narrow minded' is often used as a slur on those who don't have the same opinion as those accusing them of 'narrowmindedness'

I use it to refer to people who think in black and white and can't see all the different possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

91 cases in Dublin today

The Restrictions are working or there's a big scary backlog to be dropped before the week is up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    91 cases in Dublin today

The Restrictions are working or there's a big scary backlog to be dropped before the week is up?

In fairness Dublin has been trending downward, albeit slowly

I see the ‘WhatsApp’ messages have started now again with the “I heard from my Mam’s friend that teachers are told level 5 is happening [insert random date here]”

The government would deliberately tell teachers nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Halloween break = level 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

keeping schools open is the no1 priority has shut down the hospitality industry increased unemployment

Advertisement