Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's interesting how much this simulation relies on snobbery and perceived status to keep it going. How much of whatever is left of the economy will be Irish owned? Who or what are we going to rally around when the vultures arrive to pick apart the carcass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Stark wrote: »
    Ah here, leave it out!

Nice one. Never a more apt post. Pathetic skangers pleading for mercy when proper men throw them around like the half-men they are.
    Must be hard watching for the keyboard sympathisers on here. Years of taunting teachers, Guards, law-abiding people and then, every now and then, magically like snow in Ireland, they get a size 10 in the jacksie and made to feel like the white bread skangers they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

"Whose Streets? Our Streets" they roar and screech as if they were really oppressed and had a real cause. Meanwhile increasing the risk of the rest of us catching Covid by gathering in large groups roaring and shouting many without masks unless it's to hide their identity. Then of course they whine about police brutality when the Guards were actually very restrained and have been during all these recent protests.

Regardless they should not even be allowed to gather in the first place during the Covid emergency. It is a waste of money having the Guards babysitting these clowns and an insult to those trying their best to follow the Covid guidelines.

They should be given a 5 minute warning to clear the area and those that remain should be baton charged off the streets. Don't even need the Public Order Unit. The regular guards would be well able to do it as they receive basic public order training and have done so in the past. For example during the Love Ulster march. That would send a message and reduce the risk of these 'protestors' spreading Covid. And is easier and less costly than trying to keep two sides apart as they had to do last week outside the Dail. That's how any large gathering by any group regardless of the reason should be dealt with during Covid Restrictions. Right to protest is no excuse at a time like this. If temporary legislation is needed then bring it in.This is too serious.

Our Govt don't have the spine for it but it's a much better use of Garda resources. After Covid people can protest again as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't think they should be protesting and I obviously don't agree with them but the glee people are displaying at the Garda hitting them is fairly disturbing.

I hope those who are laughing about bash the fash would have the same attitude about a BLM protest being broken up in the same manner.

I am not blaming the Garda as from the videos it's hard to see if they were being heavy handed or not. You don't see what lead up to it.

I just find the attitude oh give them more slaps because they are only scumbags pretty horrible.

It's also giving them what they want. They are a small number of lunatics and this will just give them the bull**** fuel to their stupid conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I don't think they should be protesting and I obviously don't agree with them but the glee people are displaying at the Garda hitting them is fairly disturbing.

I hope those who are laughing about bash the fash would have the same attitude about a BLM protest being broken up in the same manner.

I am not blaming the Garda as from the videos it's hard to see if they were being heavy handed or not. You don't see what lead up to it.

I just find the attitude oh give them more slaps because they are only scumbags pretty horrible.

It's also giving them what they want. They are a small number of lunatics and this will just give them the bull**** fuel to their stupid conspiracy theories.

I get what you're saying. But now is not the time for large gatherings when we are sacrificing so much. We don't need idiots reducing the chances of success of these rolling lockdowns. Which for me is keeping our hospitals functioning in the short term. I have no interest in a police state and would protest against one. But I would have no issue with the Guards clearing the streets of any protesters for any cause or from any class while we are under these restrictions. In fact I wish they would rather than wasting money and time facilitating their antics. That includes Yellow Vest, BLM protestors or whatever. Not only protestors but any large gathering such as GAA or Rugby Supporters. They should enforce the restrictions without favour.

When we are out of restrictions they can protest as is normal in a free society. But for now public health concerns should come first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I supported the BLM protests in the summer, I would not support them now. Although I still support the movement. I don't support the planned protests against sealing the Mother and baby records, but I am furious about it. I don't support any protests or mass gatherings and if anyone is stupid enough then they should get what they deserve. In the summer the R0 number was so low that the protests wouldn't have had an affect. Its high now so if anyone is going to protest anything we'll they are endangering everyone's Life (I don't mean health) while fighting for people's lives? It can't be just me who sees the hypocrisy.
    There's one of them from that protest in town that I know, and he is a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I supported the BLM protests in the summer, I would not support them now. Although I still support the movement. I don't support the planned protests against sealing the Mother and baby records, but I am furious about it. I don't support any protests or mass gatherings and if anyone is stupid enough then they should get what they deserve. In the summer the R0 number was so low that the protests wouldn't have had an affect. Its high now so if anyone is going to protest anything we'll they are endangering everyone's Life (I don't mean health) while fighting for people's lives? It can't be just me who sees the hypocrisy.
    There's one of them from that protest in town that I know, and he is a scumbag.

The BLM marches were a disgrace also. While older citizens were still cocooning. Yes it's easier to mill scumbags out of it than BLM assh*Les,or students than it is farmers who thuggishly block up the city centre.
    But for all the sympathisers here of these scumbags, they are not noble savages, protesting with great dignity like some oppressed Ballyfermot version of John Hume... They're running amok, being their usual violent selves, insulting Gardaí, frightening the general public, damaging precious trade. If they are not a well organised protest movement, then they are out of control and that is something that must be managed. With batons if necessary.
    The law is the law for everyone. It should be applied despite background, skin colour or anything else. But instead, BLM rode a coach and four through what all right-thinking people expected earlier in the year. Everyone always thinks their march, their funeral, their match, their whatever is more important than anything else.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The BLM marches were a disgrace also. While older citizens were still cocooning. Yes it's easier to mill scumbags out of it than BLM assh*Les,or students than it is farmers who thuggishly block up the city centre.
    But for all the sympathisers here of these scumbags, they are not noble savages, protesting with great dignity like some oppressed Ballyfermot version of John Hume... They're running amok, being their usual violent selves, insulting Gardaí, frightening the general public, damaging precious trade. If they are not a well organised protest movement, then they are out of control and that is something that must be managed. With batons if necessary.
    The law is the law for everyone. It should be applied despite background, skin colour or anything else. But instead, BLM rode a coach and four through what all right-thinking people expected earlier in the year. Everyone always thinks their march, their funeral, their match, their whatever is more important than anything else.

It's not.

Was there a Ballyfermot Lives Matter march......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BLM and antifa is full of career criminals and absolute loopers. Its shown itself for what it is and it's responsible for many innocent lives been lost.

Scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I think anti-maskers like this are in for a hiding if they keep this up til December 1st

At some stage they'll pick on the wrong bunch of people
    Anti mask protestors on the Luas just now.

Hassling passengers who ask them to put on a mask, abusing women and shouting homophobic slurs

Led by Graham Casey and Alan Sweeney, regulars at far right hate feats.

Police monitored them from their demo, allowed free reign on Luas

https://www.twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1323308792193470464

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

No suprise to see the usual mouthbreathers, hypochrondiacs and curtain twitchers on here guffawing from the sidelines at the prospect of demonstrator's heads being beaten in with batons. Always very quick with the classism too. Thankfully it seems the real world has much less of these weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think anti-maskers like this are in for a hiding if they keep this up til December 1st
    At some stage they'll pick on the wrong bunch of people
    https://www.twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1323308792193470464

It's good they didn't bring a horse

It would be nice to see a Venn diagram of people who don't wear masks and ride with their horses.

No suprise to see the usual mouthbreathers, hypochrondiacs and curtain twitchers on here guffawing from the sidelines at the prospect of demonstrator's heads being beaten in with batons. Always very quick with the classism too. Thankfully it seems the real world has much less of these weirdos.

Buckle up, there’s a lot less of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think those in the luas should not be fined for not wearing their masks but for anti social behaviour and for disturbing the peace.

They want the fine for not wearing the mask as they feel that the constitution will protect them. Hammer them for something else. From the footage I have seen it was not a peaceful protest, they harassed and assaulted people during it.

I don't agree with them to be beaten by batons either, they would love to be made the victim here..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭micks_address

i wonder whats the deal with numbers not dropping in dublin? Is it purely down to population density versus the rest of the country? it seemed obvious enough once the rest of the counties calmed down numbers would drop quick enough but dublin like other big european cities doesnt seem to be responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Coronavirus is infectious and areas of dense populations will and have suffered more. If you were to imagine Dublin a small room with ten people in it and Kerry a huge room with four people in it you'll get an idea.

The cities also have a lot of people entering them for lots of different reasons, it's where people travel hold protests, there's more transactions and business done in cites, a lot more house sharing, less empty supermarkets, more queues, more retail, more retail workers, more hospitals, more hospital staff some of whom have no choice but to use public transport. The list goes on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Coronavirus is infectious and areas of dense populations will and have suffered more. If you were to imagine Dublin a small room with ten people in it and Kerry a huge room with four people in it you'll get an idea.

The cities also have a lot of people entering them for lots of different reasons, it's where people travel hold protests, there's more transactions and business done in cites, a lot more house sharing, less empty supermarkets, more queues, more retail, more retail workers, more hospitals, more hospital staff some of whom have no choice but to use public transport. The list goes on.
    Exactly. I don't think behaviour is different in Dublin - it's just that the same behaviours in a small town are less risky than in a crowded environment. Not to mention Dublin has far more apartments as well with common areas which are more likely to have infectious areas.
    The difference in LEAs within Dublin is interesting - it seems broadly not a North/South divide but an East/West one in terms of infections. I imagine when an area gets above a certain number it can be quite difficult to bring down especially when densely packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Dublin Northside Southside divide was replaced by East West in the late eighties/early nineties. Like most coastal cities, as you move from the sea the demographics change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The Dublin Northside Southside divide was replaced by East West in the late eighties/early nineties. Like most coastal cities, as you move from the sea the demographics change.

A group of young lads walked by me the other day, they couldn't have been more than 10 or so. One turns to the other and says in a big D4 accent "Remember now, Southside safety, Northside knacker".

Very true on that east/west divide. Some very posh Northside areas along the coast and some very rough areas in South Dublin as you veer west.

The sea breeze must calm folk.

Beverly Hills, California

No suprise to see the usual mouthbreathers......

Indeed

El1bdvzXYAAibVX?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement

Grafton Street, yesterday, at 5.30pm

With NO shops open

https://i.redd.it/crz9h4vkl9261.jpg

crz9h4vkl9261.jpg

"Let's go for a walk in the park? Nah, let's go into town for outdoor pints and climb all over each other"

And this is before everything opens back up tomorrow

There's something wrong with us as a country and come January we're in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Went into town for takeaway pints on Saturday. There was even a bit of atmosphere about the place, great times.

Also I don't see anyone climbing over anyone else in that photograph, just people walking around outside in the open air.

AdamD wrote: »
    Went into town for takeaway pints on Saturday. There was even a bit of atmosphere about the place, great times.

At PYG? I'm hearing their antics over the weekend will result in their license turned down next time they apply
    Also I don't see anyone climbing over anyone else in that photograph, just people walking around outside in the open air

Oh come on. It's packed! And just two people wearing a mask in shot. Yes, they are advised for outdoor wear when things are that busy

The point being this is before even a shop is open on that street

Imagine what it'll be like this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

With NO shops open

crz9h4vkl9261.jpg

"Let's go for a walk in the park? Nah, let's go into town for outdoor pints and climb all over each other"

There's something wrong with us as a country and come January we're in serious trouble

That picture is deliberately highly deceptive. The clue is in how each shop looks as narrow as a single doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At PYG? I'm hearing their antics over the weekend will result in their license turned down next time they apply

Oh come on. It's packed! And just two people wearing a mask in shot. Yes, they are advised for outdoor wear when things are that busy

The point being this is before even a shop is open on that street

Imagine what it'll be like this weekend

No, not at Pyg. There were probably 10+ different places serving. Town was certainly busy but the lens on that picture is all over the shop. Nobody was on top of anybody.

People like being around other people, I'd rather see it outside than inside so pick your battles I would say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And just two people wearing a mask in shot. Yes, they are advised for outdoor wear when things are that busy
    They were advised just one day previously. It takes time for these things to filter through, if they're going to. Up to now, we've never really mentioned it being a thing for outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

With NO shops open

crz9h4vkl9261.jpg

Heard this over and over and over and over, obviously apart from BLM which was somehow Covid resistant. We've never been in trouble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Looks busier than Cork or Galway.

Heard this over and over and over and over, obviously apart from BLM which was somehow Covid resistant. We've never been in trouble here.

Because of restrictions and lots of folk sticking to guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

With NO shops open

crz9h4vkl9261.jpg

So to clarify, do you support the proposition that we should remain in permanent Level 5 until there is a vaccine? I don’t see the rationale in people crying controversy over sights like this when in the same breath they will say that some reopening is needed in December.

The fact is this, when shops re-open these are precisely the scenes we will see. There will be crowds and people probably won’t follow the guidelines to the letter, and some will not at all. This is inevitable — and so advocating even a limited form of reopening in December is to advocate (whether one realises it or not) the very scene you seem to portray as being so offensively horrible.

The levels of finger pointing and self-righteousness out there right now are just staggering.

Advertisement