Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a Dublin lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They are not costing lives. People will die with or without Covid. Did you blame them for costing lives last year if they spread a flu to granny?

The health care system is fine.

It was our choice to crash the economy by locking down and implementing restrictions. The young will pay the tab.

Its not costing lives because 95% of the people are doing the right thing.

But if the cases continue to rise, something will have to be done.

It's in our hands to ensure this doesn't happen by behaving correctly.

Which part of that is too hard to do?

I have paid the tab for the last 3 recessions, my father paid the tab in the 80's and 90's for Irish to get free third level education. We all have to pay the tab at some stage. There is no silver spoon and sooner the younger generation realise you don't get spoon fed, hold your hands etc, the better.

You want to get somewhere, you work bloody hard to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd be surprised as next to no country has done this at a national level.

I'd also think compliance would be poor. Maybe I'm being unfair to people but if many can't even follow the easy ones, I'm not sure they'd lock themselves in especially with the perception from some that it's weakened.

Actually I should have said Phase 2 i.e. this level:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

I meant it more as, I can't see there being serious restrictions at Christmas.
    But Christmas will mean people travelling and meeting up.
    So if there's a concern about the impact of Christmas, throttling it in November, early December so that Christmas becomes low risk would come onto the agenda.
    It'd be pushed by the governments as 'Save Christmas' as a way of getting people on board.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

some craic if Santy is cancelled this year cos of CV19!

NIMAN wrote: »

Already told our kids they won't see santa this year. Accepted it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

NIMAN wrote: »

As long as he follows all the protocols, hand washing, mask, etc, he should be ok.

• Advertisement

As long as he follows all the protocols, hand washing, mask, etc, he should be ok.

Most of the good places this year aren't doing visits. Some are doing shows or virtual ones

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My lot are more concerned about their Halloween door to door sweet run next month than Christmas, won't be the same I suppose either.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The median death age of COVID-19 is 83, the average life expectancy in Ireland is 82 and the overwhelming majority have health issues to begin with. Even at that, with rising cases; death rate & hospital loading is remaining extremely low.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I think what jacdaniel2014 meant was that individuals dying from CV19 are already at the end of their best years (as is the way of life). I of course believe taking as many precautions as possible to protect this at risk group, but using a blunt instrument like shutting down the capital has extreme downside loss but little upside benefit.
    I can not find those statistics. Tthey are probably be correct.

The question is causality.
    Old people live in close proximity in nursing homes, and many Covid deaths were in nursing homes.
    It might be a mistake to assume it was age, not the close living conditions, that caused the spread. Almost certainly weaker immune systems resulted in death.
    Workers in meat processing plants were also affected. That may be due to close working conditions and refrigeration.
    How many old people living as couples or alone died from Covid?

You say shutting down the capital has extreme downside loss but little upside benefit.
    Opening up the capital, with bars and clubs open, should result in a Covid spread, and extreme downside loss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Supercell wrote: »
    My lot are more concerned about their Halloween door to door sweet run next month than Christmas, won't be the same I suppose either.

get those bags that are at the end of long handles...

51WiIq9aewL._AC_SX425_.jpg

When the kids get home that night, lock the bag of sugar away for 3 days before cracking it out and binging on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

The median death age of COVID-19 is 83, the average life expectancy in Ireland is 82 and the overwhelming majority have health issues to begin with. Even at that, with rising cases; death rate & hospital loading is remaining extremely low.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I think what jacdaniel2014 meant was that individuals dying from CV19 are already at the end of their best years (as is the way of life). I of course believe taking as many precautions as possible to protect this at risk group, but using a blunt instrument like shutting down the capital has extreme downside loss but little upside benefit.
    You're only saying what reasonable people are starting to say. The human costs being incurred are huge.

I think another fair point to bear in mind is that most people who contract the virus, even with underlying conditions, recover. Nearly 90% of folk aged 65 to 79 actually recover. Nearly 80% of folk aged 80+ also recover.

Yes, we need precautions. I'm sure no-one would invite a one in five chance of mortality - but we do need to be more forensic about what the risks are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we have something like a Phase 1+ level of restrictions nationwide from October mid-term, to throttle the virus and get it to very low levels.
    Ease off at Christmas.
    Back into Phase1+ in January.

Do you have a cystal ball there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think another fair point to bear in mind is that most people who contract the virus, even with underlying conditions, recover.

Doesn't sound too bad when you gloss-over any ongoing long-term after effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am going to go on a bit about nursing homes instead of age being the factor in elderly deaths.
    On Monday, 9th March, I phoned a woman. She told me she was driving to Limerick to pick up her daughter from boarding school as they were closing due to the pandemic.
    The elderly in nursing homes had to remain in a dangerous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

GT89 wrote: »
    Do you have a cystal ball there?

We'll see... just trying to think like NPHET\Cabinet would do if faced with prospect of Christmas restrictions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Graham wrote: »
    Doesn't sound too bad when you gloss-over any ongoing long-term after effects.

Shifting the goalposts as usual. Mikel Arteta the Arsenal manager contracted covid and is fine now, so did Tubridy, BoJo (who was in ICU), Mary Lou, Dr. Ciara Kelly and whole host of other well known people all seem to be fine now and don't have any long term effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're only saying what reasonable people are starting to say. The human costs being incurred are huge.

I think another fair point to bear in mind is that most people who contract the virus, even with underlying conditions, recover. Nearly 90% of folk aged 65 to 79 actually recover. Nearly 80% of folk aged 80+ also recover.

Yes, we need precautions. I'm sure no-one would invite a one in five chance of mortality - but we do need to be more forensic about what the risks are.

Starting to say? Its been said for a long time.

Many think if 5% of the worlds population are at risk of death from this, why shut down everyone, the world economies, wreck jobs, livelihoods etc to protect them, rather than telling them to cocoon and let everyone else get on with it?

I think its a fair question.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why is Covid not a problem in Africa? Because Africa doesn't have an economy worth crashing.
    You are wrong on many levels here.
    Africa has some great economies, for instance Rwanda, Nigeria, Egypt etc..
    But they are behind in testing and also reporting.
    The massive continent could have as many as a million cases right now.
    More than 650,000 of those diagnosed across Africa have already recovered, while at least 21,000 people have died.

It's also a problem that many people here don't give a **** about Africa, so there's that too.

Shifting the goalposts as usual. Mikel Arteta the Arsenal manager contracted covid and is fine now, so did Tubridy, BoJo (who was in ICU), Mary Lou, Dr. Ciara Kelly and whole host of other well known people all seem to be fine now and don't have any long term effects.

So your considered medical opinion is, if Tubbs is fine everyone experiencing ongoing symptoms must be imagining it.

Classic.

biko wrote: »
    You are wrong on many levels here.
    Africa has some great economies, for instance Rwanda, Nigeria, Egypt etc..
    But they are behind in testing and also reporting.
    The massive continent could have as many as a million cases right now.
    More than 650,000 of those diagnosed across Africa have already recovered, while at least 21,000 people have died.

It's also a problem that not many people here don't give a **** about Africa, so there's that too.

People aren't living their lives in fear of covid in Africa. They know there is a million other things to worried about in Africa like starvation, FGM, Aids, Ebola, ISIS, Boko Haram, dictators etc. Covid is well down on their list of worries. They also don't have the media fearmongering more importantly in this instance.

It's not a problem if you just forget about it and stop constantly reporting on it as if it were the end of humanity it's not. Time to get on with our lives and forget about a disease that is highly unlikely kill or incapacitate us.

They also don't have the media fearmongering more importantly in this instance.

Which African newspapers and TV channels are you basing your observations on?

No rush, I know it's going to take you a few minutes to find some :)

• Advertisement

Which African newspapers and TV channels are you basing your observations on?

Most them don't even have the any form of media in the bush in Africa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

On Newstalk Dublin house visits still at 6 but from only 2 households.

They are making this up as they go along

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Of course they are making this up as they go along. What other way would you suggest doing it?

Most them don't even have the any form of media in the bush in Africa

So you're not saying they don't have media fear mongering, you're actually saying they have no media?

Some might think you're just making it up as you go along, as if you don't have the first notion about the state of Coronavirus and media coverage in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

NPHET to recommend to government that in Dublin there be a reduction in the numbers of visitors to peoples homes from different houses.

Reported that the recommendation is to stay at 6 but from no more than 2 households instead of 3, for a period of 3 weeks.

Tighter restrictions on residential settings also to be recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Its an attempt to target where the spread is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ask Pep Guardiola how his mother is doing. :rolleyes:

So you're not saying they don't have media fear mongering, you're actually saying they have no media?

Some might think you're just making it up as you go along to be honest, as if you don't have the first notion about the state of Coronavirus and media coverage in Africa.

They obivously have some media in Africa but not to the same extent as here in the West. The media are the problem if there was no scaremongering there would be no problem with covid 19 people wouldn't even think about it and would just get on with their lives not knowing of covid. Do you actually believe the media fearmongering?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I can not find those statistics. Tthey are probably be correct.

The question is causality.
    Old people live in close proximity in nursing homes, and many Covid deaths were in nursing homes.
    It might be a mistake to assume it was age, not the close living conditions, that caused the spread. Almost certainly weaker immune systems resulted in death.
    Workers in meat processing plants were also affected. That may be due to close working conditions and refrigeration.
    How many old people living as couples or alone died from Covid?

You say shutting down the capital has extreme downside loss but little upside benefit.
    Opening up the capital, with bars and clubs open, should result in a Covid spread, and extreme downside loss.

Life expectancy Ireland

Age of death COVID-19

I agree. Face masks / heavy hygiene / distancing. Also, lock down nursing homes and make every precaution in DP centres, migrant labor lodging & Roma families where a lot of the spread is happening but has not been specifically reported on.

But shutting down counties or the country isn't a seasonable or logical approach.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Ask Pep Guardiola how his mother is doing. :rolleyes:

She was 82

Advertisement