Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish craft breweries use 440ml cans?

• 09-09-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

Did a quick search on the phone, not spotted. As the title says, why are they all pushing poxy kiddie sized 440ml cans instead of the proper adult sized ones? Haven't noticed any of them being lower priced than comparable offerings from other breweries in 500ml bottles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

kenmc wrote: »
    Did a quick search on the phone, not spotted. As the title says, why are they all pushing poxy kiddie sized 440ml cans instead of the proper adult sized ones? Haven't noticed any of them being lower priced than comparable offerings from other breweries in 500ml bottles.

Buy the 500ml bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

VeVeX wrote: »
    Buy the 500ml bottles.

Brilliant solution. Wish I'd thought of that. So then, please tell me where stocks 500ml bottle of trouble brewing bright eyes, or Galway hooker seafarer series?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

why are they all pushing poxy kiddie sized 440ml cans instead of the proper adult sized ones?
    They started it because it's fashionable -- it makes them look like Trillium or The Alchemist or Treehouse: beer that the kiddies think will make them cool. Lough Gill were the first to notice the trend in the US and bring it to Ireland.

They're going to keep doing it because they can charge the same or more than for a 500ml bottle and thereby make more money from the same amount of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Metalman use 330 ml cans. I'm drinking one now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

it saves money they can use less product and cans to make are cheaper

lots of products reduce size to keep same price
    but rmthey probably only save 1-2 cents

Guinness learned this trick in America were pints are smaller

• Advertisement

Personally I just tend to bypass these "not proper sized cans" in favour of 500ml bottles of something else, unless it's something I really really want to try, and even then I am very reluctant to do so.

Wish more people would do likewise and put an end to this stupid fad. At least 500ml almost fills a pint glass, but 440ml, the thing is half empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I always thought it had something to do with selling in the UK market? as most cans in UK at 440ml?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Personally I just tend to bypass these "not proper sized cans" in favour of 500ml bottles of something else, unless it's something I really really want to try, and even then I am very reluctant to do so.

Wish more people would do likewise and put an end to this stupid fad. At least 500ml almost fills a pint glass, but 440ml, the thing is half empty.

not enough people seem as triggered by at you seem to be, so I doubt you'll get anything like a critical mass for your proposed boycott strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    it saves money they can use less product and cans to make are cheaper

lots of products reduce size to keep same price
    but rmthey probably only save 1-2 cents

Guinness learned this trick in America were pints are smaller

Pints are smaller in the US?
    A pint is a pint 568ml,a mug,cup,glass of beer smaller than that is not a pint.

HBC08 wrote: »
    A pint is a pint 568ml,

have you never heard of a US pint?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Better 440 ml than 330 ml tbh. I'l take a 500 ml bottle most of the time but sometimes cans are handier.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

have you never heard of a US pint?

No,ive ordered plenty of beers in the US though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A pint in the US is 473ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BeerNut wrote: »
    They started it because it's fashionable -- it makes them look like Trillium or The Alchemist or Treehouse: beer that the kiddies think will make them cool. Lough Gill were the first to notice the trend in the US and bring it to Ireland.

They're going to keep doing it because they can charge the same or more than for a 500ml bottle and thereby make more money from the same amount of beer.
    While I do think there's an element of fashion, I thought it was more to do with supply? They're just going with the easiest/ cheapest supply routes, and the same with the canning lines, particularly the mobile ones?

440ml is one of the UK standard sizes.

I've been on several craft brewery beer tours pre-covid where they've claimed they moved because it keeps better than bottles, and environmentally better. Since COVID, the move has accelerated due to on-line sales.

Personally, I've got over it now. I'm more inclined to look at cans, as their easier to store. My only pain point is can conditioned beers. And 330ml cans, especially as I share a lot of beers - I really haven't had as much White Hag (for example) as the smaller cans put me off.

Effects wrote: »
    A pint in the US is 473ml.

I genuinely never knew that,thanks.
    I spent a year living in the states and a lot of that time was spent in bars and never heard anyone ask for a pint.I wasnt in a place where there were any Irish bars though so maybe that was it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I genuinely never knew that,thanks.
    I spent a year living in the states and a lot of that time was spent in bars and never heard anyone ask for a pint.I wasnt in a place where there were any Irish bars though so maybe that was it.

Not sure if it still happens but there was a time a few pubs in Dublin had American sized Sierra Nevada and Founders pint glasses and would serve "a pint" in these.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not sure if it still happens but there was a time a few pubs in Dublin had American sized Sierra Nevada and Founders pint glasses and would serve "a pint" in these.

yeah the bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really don't get the fixation with specific container size.
    250ml, 330ml, 341ml, 375ml, 440ml, 500ml, 568ml,600ml, 750ml are all fairly common can/bottle sizes.
    Why have people fixated on 500ml being the "proper" size?

250ml, 330ml, 341ml, 375ml, 440ml, 500ml, 568ml,600ml, 750ml are all fairly common can/bottle sizes.
    500ml, in Europe at least, would appear to be the default measure of large beer container (e.g the plethora of German breweries producing weissbeer), and 330ml likewise the default measure of smaller beer container (Belgians)

The odd sizes you listed appear to be mostly antipodean or American volumes. 750ml would be a "sharing bottle" of Belgian typically.

I don't ever remember a "normal big bottle" of wine coming in anything not 750ml.

I've no issue with cans themselves, just the fad for smaller sizes at standard sized prices

500ml, in Europe at least, would appear to be the default measure of large beer container (e.g the plethora of German breweries producing weissbeer), and 330ml likewise the default measure of smaller beer container (Belgians)

The odd sizes you listed appear to be mostly antipodean or American volumes. 750ml would be a "sharing bottle" of Belgian typically.

I don't ever remember a "normal big bottle" of wine coming in anything not 750ml.

I've no issue with cans themselves, just the fad for smaller sizes at standard sized prices

So you expect craft breweries to sell at the same price as Heineken etc.?

You should stick to Dutch Gold.

• Advertisement

Cause that's the size cans people were drinking long before the craft beer influx.

I'd imagine he wants the same size can, 500ml, at the price they charge for 440ml cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I hate 440s. I thought maybe they get cheap cans from the UK where 440 is a size you see more often, and save on the amount of beer they're giving you too. I refuse to buy them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I always thought it had something to do with selling in the UK market? as most cans in UK at 440ml?
    UK craft brewing adopted the 440ml can in recent years again because they're copying the Americans. I can't think of any UK microbrewery that used 440ml cans before this.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    While I do think there's an element of fashion, I thought it was more to do with supply?
    In that they use 440s rather than 473, which would be harder to get. But before 473 cans became fashionable, microbreweries in the UK and Ireland who canned, canned in 330s -- Metalman and Rascals being the early adopters of canning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Value for money thing too..

Like as an aside Tesco were or are doing 4 bottles of 660ml Peroni for 10 euros.

That’s a seriously good quality delicious beer. About four and a half pints for a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A pint in France (une pinte) is 952ml, equal to two chopines, half of which ("un demi" or 250ml) is the standard serving of beer or cider at any French bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I usually buy cans over the bottles, mainly because I don't live near a bottle bank so it's a pain in the ass to save them for a once a month journey or so, whereas the cans can go straight into recycling.

You should stick to Dutch Gold.
    Absolutely not. But there's nothing wrong with 500ml bottles or cans. The issue is 440ml at the price of 500ml. An example.
    4x440ml cans of porterhouse for the same price as 4x500ml O'Hara's in SuperValu. I'll take O'Hara's thanks, though I do like pH red, I won't buy it.

Absolutely not. But there's nothing wrong with 500ml bottles or cans. The issue is 440ml at the price of 500ml. An example.
    4x440ml cans of porterhouse for the same price as 4x500ml O'Hara's in SuperValu. I'll take O'Hara's thanks, though I do like pH red, I won't buy it.

But they're different beers? Why should they be the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BeerNut wrote: »
    In that they use 440s rather than 473, which would be harder to get. But before 473 cans became fashionable, microbreweries in the UK and Ireland who canned, canned in 330s -- Metalman and Rascals being the early adopters of canning.
    More that if those are the canning lines and cans they can get, or are readily (and most cheaply) available.

500ml down to 440ml did initially irritate me (a search on here would probably find me giving out!), but I've got over 60ml difference. They've kinda got away with it as craft drinkers probably aren't as price focused as others.

But still, if I'm doing 3 or 4 for €10 or €12 at the off licence/ online I'm still more likely to go 440 over 330. I definitely haven't drank as much of the likes of metalman, rascals, white hag that are predominantly 330ml, despite generally enjoying their beers when they turn up in beer boxes.

Advertisement