Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead is ending | Season 11 (2022)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The walkie was her calling in the hoarde I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

So the final episode is nearly here. I remember the days when I would log on here after every episode for all sorts of debate and argument! There were so many iconic moments during those first few seasons.

Once the Saviours story hit, it went into a downward spiral from which it has found it difficult to get out of. I thought the Whisperers storyline was the closest it came to recapturing the glory days.

But the main problem for me is that since Rick left, and even before that, viewers were being asked more and more to care about weak characters. We suddenly had to care about someone who had seemingly just wandered into the show a few episodes before.

The maudlin dialogue and sentimental shite storylines doesn't help either. They were still at it in last week's episode, talking about how "we gotta have faith, without faith there's no hope", or some nonsense like that. And I really had to laugh at them finally using the F word!

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to watching Rick turning up to save the day in the final episode 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, the end of the of the show was when Andrew Lincoln departed. There was no coming coming back from that. Killing off Coral didn't help either. The core of the whole story is a father guiding his son through an apocalyptic event. Once that was gone, you're left with a load of also rans and ridiculous moustache twirling bad guys.

Plus that whisperers storyline is absolute horseshit, both in the comics and on the screen. I've always hated the idea that zombies can be fooled by either caking yourself in their guts or wearing their skin. That's just 'Shaun of the Dead' levels of silliness there. That's the single most annoying thing about the show for me and I've never been able to get past it really.

It's sad to say, and I've been watching zombie stuff since the 80's, but I'm kinda glad TWD is coming to an end. I also have zero interest in any more spin off's too, because FTWD has been extremely hit and miss and that one with the teenagers was just bloody awful.

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Plus naming who will be in the spin offs meant we already knew who would not be dying in the final episode.

From what i saw of it, it was not worth watching anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Not sure how I feel about the finale. We had some deaths that at least meant something and Negan got to apologise for the umpteenth time. But unfortunately he is still one of the few engaging characters but always seems to be demanding forgiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Ah! I am so frustrated and disappointed yet I cried 3 times! (Maybe 4)

A vomit inducing, virtue signalling turd of a finale. There's no other way to describe it. I felt no emotion whatsoever until I saw Rick and even then all it did was just remind me of how this show has lost its way since he left.

The scene that summed it up was when that guy Luke was dying in the hospital and all these morons who came into the show around two or three seasons ago were wailing and screaming their heads off for him. Meanwhile, Daryl and Carol were just looking over at them with the kind of expressions that said 'who gives a fcuk'!

Even Rosita bowing out, why didn't they giver her a proper send off being eaten alive by a horde instead of laying her out on a bed? Christ, they couldn't even get that right. Diabolical stuff. Eugene must have done more crying in this episode than the rest of the series, and that's saying something.

There's no point trying to analyse it. The show went out the way I expected it to, on a whimper. I read all the comics and while they had their problems, they at least wrapped everything up properly and Rick and Carl were the still the main two characters more or less until the end.

It's shocking how the show deteriorated. It's often easy to forget how great this show was. It was never perfect by any means, there were episodes during its hey day where I thought what the hell is going on here? But it always had strong and likeable characters like Rick, Shane, Merle, Tyreese, Abraham, Herschel, Glenn. Carol was a totally different character for the first few seasons. It's like she's been drugged since series 6.

When I started watching this back in 2010 it reminded me of Dawn of the Dead. Now that it's finished, all I can think about is Little House on the Prairie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What happened to the governor, or did I blink and miss it? 🤓

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've been watching the show since 2010. It's feels weird that it is over. The final episode was a bit so so.

Not sure how a show like walking dead can be "virtue signalling " but yeah i dont the finale will be universally praised, the show had gone on way too long and added too many new cast members. I thought the Rosita part and negan and maggie parts were the high part of the episode, but the commonwealth storyline did sorto of peeter out. They were not great villains

• Advertisement

He got killed back in season 4 😜

Oh her, she stood around looking stupid, got arrested by the gang, then said some mumbo jumbo and was thrown in jail. Another plastic character who never once held any sense of danger or threat. And as for her laughable son, dear god 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Very underwhelming finale IMO I didn't know what to expect but I thought it would be better wasn't a very thrilling or exciting finale for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I stopped watching the series before the Negan fella showed up, and decided to watch the final series just to see how they were going to end it. As far as I can see they didn't end it, and are now going off on a couple of tangents to drag it out even more.

As far as "Governor 2" 😋 is concerned, it was as if they didn't know what kind of justice she should get, so forgot all about a trial, and pretended that she no longer existed.

Talk about mediocre 😮

What I mean is the show became laughably fixated with getting every race and creed under the sun into the show, just so they could turn around and go 'Look! Here's our gay/lesbian couple, our deaf character, our Muslim character, our Asian character, etc.

I'm all for having representation in TV shows and films, but in doing this the show just became a box-ticking exercise. It's the apocalypse, no one cares about quotas and balance, we just want to see the best version of the show we can possibly get. This is not a slight on the actors, I'm sure they all did their best. But with too many half-arsed characters in the show, the quality was always going to drop.

There were people popping up over the last couple of episodes who I had completely forgotten about. And how many characters who came into the show since season 6 have made any real impact? Apart from maybe Alpha, I can't think of anyone else.

Ah i think you mean forced diversity but to be honest it didnt really annoy me. They needed to add a lot of characters to kill off a few of them as they cant kill members of the core group (Carol, Daryl, Maggie, Negan, Eugene, Aaron)- Who really cares if the supporting cast who get so little screen time are not white. It is in America- which is a melting pot of cultures.

I think Negan was only really introduced in Season 7 (technically it was the last episode of season 6). Lydia was also a good character but yeah a lot of the late arrivals were not great.

It's nothing to do with the supporting cast not being white. I don't care what colour a character is, I just want them to be believable and make me care for them. Yeah Lydia was a decent character but she's been kind of wasted since the Whisperers arc ended. And yeah, I got my seasons mixed up, I forgot Negan was only really in it since season 7. Dwight was interesting but they ended up grabbing him for Fear the Walking Dead!

ah ok, you mentioned the introduction of all different races as part of your complaint. The original cast in the first season was all white apart from T-dog and Glenn but I wouldnt complain about that, and also wouldnt complain about having a deaf person, or muslim in later seasons. I would agree that the strength of the character was the most important aspect that they failed with in the later seasons. I thought Dwight was also a good character but he went to the walking dead. Amazing seasons 7-11 produced so many forgettable characters.

Tbf Connie's episode in the house where the feral people were and the director played with the sound to match was excellent.

Connie was an interesting character but it was farcical to bring a deaf person to the battle in the commonwealth. She had a relationship with Darryl and survived so she must be given kudos for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

This series ended for me after Began was in his prime as the leader of the saviours.

• Advertisement

What a dreadful ending.

As a matter of interest what do you think would be a good ending. Seems the ending has divided the fandom, but is not considered as bad as game of thrones , or say Dexter

Difficult to say really, because the show has meandered terribly over the last few years. But, simply put, there are just far too many people occupying the screen for anything to be wrapped up comfortably and we're supposed to feel something for characters that mean little or nothing to most viewers at this point. Also, the whole Commonwealth storyline was really a busted flush in the first place and indicative of just how empty the rinse and repeat ideas for the show had become.

In fairness, conclusions are one of the most difficult things to achieve satisfactorily in fiction. Just ask Stephen King. But I suppose I would have ended it some years before with the execution of Negan and the consolidation of Alexandria as the future for Rick and Co. even if that went against what was happening in the comics. But then again, the show can hardly not be accused of severe deviation from its source material in numerous areas.

In the end the show just hung around to long and began to stink like one of its walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Camp ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The show (for me) lost its way with the Glen dumpster death and then the Negan cliff hanger. Then All Out War was dragged out to the point of stupidity, we had unlimited ammo cheat mode and close up shooting scenes reminiscent of Police Squad. A bloated cast became bullet proof, this led to pointless meandering storylines going nowhere and one of the main draws of the show - the fact that any lead character could die, anytime - was shelved. Worse again was characters started making inexplicably stupid decisions with plot armour.. once All Out War reached its ending my interest was already massively waiving. Angela Kang did well for a while with the Whisperers; Alpha and Beta were brilliant villains, but all the other problems remained. Enter the Commonwealth; when they gifted Michonnes story to Yuki (?) I never really tuned in again.

I blame most of this on Scott Gimple and AMC. Seasons 1-6 however are majestic. I think of episodes where the heart was literally beating out my chest and I really felt for the characters - Shane, Woodbury, Merles last stand, Terminus, Darryl's rapey biker gang, Noah's brutal death, Rick being psycho Rick.. Compared to that Golden Age, I'm not surprised to hear it ended on a whimper.

And don't get me started on Fear.. What they did to that show after S3 is worse than any shark Fonzey jumped

The commonwealth could have been a better storyline and the whisperers was a bit of a dumb storyline, set up as being a death cult but why they did not join settled communities by walls was nonsensical. I would agree Fear the Walking Dead has a much further drop off in quality and shows that a willingness to kill the original characters is not always a good thing.

The problem with the commonwealth in the TV show is that they had to go their own stupid way. Rick and Carl were both gone at that stage whereas in the comics they were very much the main characters so the whole dynamic was completely different. Same with Michonne.

I wouldn't say the commonwealth was my favourite part of the comics by any means but at least Kirkman managed to tie it all up and it was done. The readers got a sense of it's all over. What we saw a couple of weeks ago was not a finale in any sense of the word. Not when they've been flagging three new shows with several of the characters for the last year ffs.

A couple of years ago I bought the first six seasons on blu ray as it was going cheap. There isn't a hope in hell I'll be doing that for the remaining seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Finally finished on RTE last Night ...RIP

Advertisement