Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend tested positive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Nothing you can do really if he doesn't want to get tested, there's a possibility that he doesn't have it either as not every single person that was in close contact with an infected person ends up getting infected themselves.

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    Yea that's what we were telling him but he's refusing to as he has a game coming up and is showing no symptoms. He's been training and coming into contact with 30 other lads every other day.

Tell the Covid officer at the club?

Thanks all.

Yes we tried to tell him this and we even told him to just get tested, it takes 24 hours to hear back and then he can return to training if it's negative.

No he cant, has to isolate for 14 days irregardless of negative result as virus may not show up until 14 days have passed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No he cant, has to isolate for 14 days irregardless of negative result as virus may not show up until 14 days have passed

There looking at reducing that, 14 is the far end of the scale and rare. It's on average 4/5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This is correct.

If he meets the strict criteria of a close contact of a positive case as defined by the HSE, even if his test comes back negative he must restrict his movements (which allows him out and about but limited time in contact with people, and only individual exercise, no organised sport) for 14 days after his last contact with the confirmed positive case.

OP, this guy is in blatant breach of public health guidelines. The underlying issue here seems to be that the original positive case has fallen through the cracks and has been missed from a full contact tracing perspective but he is an adult and sometimes we have to make decisions that impact our personal lives.

If he isn’t going to do it himself I’d strongly consider telling his GAA club. If he does test positive subsequently, which may be quite likely if he had been in a lot of close contact with the index case, even if he wins his championship match depending on which county he is in and their rules he may get them thrown out of the next round as you all a sudden have 39 other people across two clubs who will have been on the pitch with him who will need to isolate, teachers not going to school, doctors, healthcare workers etc etc.

I’m not usually one for faux outrage but this is an unbelievable act of selfishness which has a good likelihood of coming back to bite our GAA superstar in the arse

• Advertisement

This is correct.

If he meets the strict criteria of a close contact of a positive case as defined by the HSE, even if his test comes back negative he must restrict his movements (which allows him out and about but limited time in contact with people, and only individual exercise, no organised sport) for 14 days after his last contact with the confirmed positive case.

OP, this guy is in blatant breach of public health guidelines. The underlying issue here seems to be that the original positive case has fallen through the cracks and has been missed from a full contact tracing perspective but he is an adult and sometimes we have to make decisions that impact our personal lives.

If he isn’t going to do it himself I’d strongly consider telling his GAA club. If he does test positive subsequently, which may be quite likely if he had been in a lot of close contact with the index case, even if he wins his championship match depending on which county he is in and their rules he may get them thrown out of the next round as you all a sudden have 39 other people across two clubs who will have been on the pitch with him who will need to isolate, teachers not going to school, doctors, healthcare workers etc etc.

I’m not usually one for faux outrage but this is an unbelievable act of selfishness which has a good likelihood of coming back to bite our GAA superstar in the arse

Chances are they are a sub on the Junior B team with heightened sense of self importance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

I’m not a GAA player or involved in any club. Can’t even be considered a fan for that matter. I’ve seen the chaos that Covid had done to businesses, clubs and more .... leaving an anonymous message that a player on team A is positive will almost certainly lead to the cancellation of the game. How does that help anyone??

One player who was a close contact of a positive case should not be training. He should be taken aside

If this was someone in an restaurant doing same, would you call the restaurant and say a member of staff is positive? You know what would happen if you do

Common sense and honesty has to prevail or we’ll never learn to live with Covid

And yes, people need to listen and adhere to contact tracing advice and restrictions, or if they don’t, then I agree fully with reporting them

Ok so the problem is with reporting anonymously, I'll agree it wouldn't be the best way of doing it, but OP doesn't seem to want to report his friend.
    So say nothing?

If anything gets cancelled or ruined on these footballers, there's only one person at fault.
    The person who is acting like their spot on a GAA club team is more important than other people's health.

Might ruin his footballing career altogether. As the above poster says, they might end up getting kicked out of the championship as a result of his actions.

People having to isolate, missing work, losing income etc wouldn't be too fast to forgive outrageously selfish behaviour like this. Might never get selected again.
    Would serve him right imo, there's no need for this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

lucalux wrote: »
    Ok so the problem is with reporting anonymously, I'll agree it wouldn't be the best way of doing it, but OP doesn't seem to want to report his friend.
    So say nothing?

If anything gets cancelled or ruined on these footballers, there's only one person at fault.
    The person who is acting like their spot on a GAA club team is more important than other people's health.

Might ruin his footballing career altogether. As the above poster says, they might end up getting kicked out of the championship as a result of his actions.

People having to isolate, missing work, losing income etc wouldn't be too fast to forgive outrageously selfish behaviour like this. Might never get selected again.
    Would serve him right imo, there's no need for this at all.

Plus someone potentially bringing home to a vulnerable person or causing a outbreak that will cause someone vulnerable to contract it.

Plus someone potentially bringing home to a vulnerable person or causing a outbreak that will cause someone vulnerable to contract it.

Sorry ha, of course that's the main worry, I lost my first comment and forgot to include it when rewriting it

Covid is the main concern, absolutely, and also the disruption and worry that his selfishness will cause in the clubs involved. Maddening stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Didn't a close contact from a meat factory go into work into a care home and infected someone in the care home and a work colleague a few weeks ago?

They were a close contact, eventually ended up positive and continued on into work.

This person is doing the exact same, just without a test. Pure selfish.

They should make this behaviour a criminal offence.

I like the suggestion of reporting to the club manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jesus, is he 12 or what?

If I was that manager, I'm damn sure I'd like to know if there was a player potentially infecting half the team(s) and staff, and all the knock-on implications that go with that.

All for one player in one match. He must have a very high opinion of himself :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jesus, is he 12 or what?

If I was that manager, I'm damn sure I'd like to know if there was a player potentially infecting half the team(s) and staff, and all the knock-on implications that go with that.

All for one player in one match. He must have a very high opinion of himself :mad:

Definitely an own goal from that lad.
    For me, this is the kind of scenario we need to avoid.
    There might be a good chance that he would test negative, but because he doesn't want to self isolate and miss a match, he just ignores the situation.

I was giving out on another thread about the government micromanaging the whole situation, but examples like this justify the whole micromanaging aspect. . .

And it really disheartens me that we are talking about his friend giving an anonymous tip to his team/manager. Going down that road is something that I don't like at all - but as Heidi said if I was part of that team I would like to know that a team mate was in contact with a positive case. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

There is some unclear advice from the HSE.

"Spending more than 2 hours in an indoor space with a person who has coronavirus will sometimes count as casual contact. This could be an office or a classroom. But it will depend on the size of the room and other factors.
    What to do if you are a casual contact

If you are a casual contact you should know the symptoms of coronavirus and be aware that you may develop them.

You do not need to restrict your movements, but you should continue to follow the advice on how to protect yourself and others."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Spending more than 2 hours in an indoor space with a person who has coronavirus will sometimes count as casual contact. This could be an office or a classroom. But it will depend on the size of the room and other factors.

If you are a casual contact you should know the symptoms of coronavirus and be aware that you may develop them.

You do not need to restrict your movements, but you should continue to follow the advice on how to protect yourself and others."

I'm fairly sure the last bit wouldn't include up close and personal GAA training with multiple others, in the full knowledge that he could be positive.

And that's the key for me - he could be positive. And he might not be. But he might be.

So given the potential implications of his actions and activities, the onus is on him to establish that he isn't positive before he carries on as normal.

How you persuade him of that, though, I don't know.

But as I said, if I was that manager or teammate, I'd want to know. The idea of people keeping secrets like this freaks me out a bit, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

The OP seemed to indicate that the Football Friend had spent a lot of time with the lad who tested positive so was a close contact of his.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just to clarify, our friend the GAA player, hasn't tested positive yet because he hasn't been tested, but has been in close contact for large periods with another friend who has tested positive.
    Just to give an idea of how other people are treating similar situations - and he might benefit from reading this:

I had dinner with a friend on Sunday, 23rd August. The next day, after meeting for coffee with my 82-year old dad who has an underlying health condition, and my sister and her her immuno-compromized child, my friend contacted me to say that a) a family member with whom he'd had dinner on the Friday, 15th August had tested positive and b) that my friend was going for testing himself that day, costing him around €200. I contacted my GP immediately and was told to wait for the HSE to contact me, as they would if my friend tested positive, and not to worry anybody unduly at this point - I said that we'd quarantine until my friend's results came back. I'd already arranged a hiking trip with my kid and another friend starting the following day and had my friend's test come back positive, I'd have cancelled the lot, arranged a test for myself and quarantined until my own results came back.

Thankfully, my friend's test came back negative and we were able to continue on the hike as planned, and father and my niece didn't need to hear about anything.

Your friend is not behaving responsibly and does not respect the sacrifices that other people are making.

Sounds a bit like a made up story to whip up a bit of outrage.

If you really want to, just rat on him and be done with it.

Sounds a bit like a made up story to whip up a bit of outrage.

If you really want to, just rat on him and be done with it.

Why would I make up the story? ��

Why would I want to 'rat' on my friend? I can just seeing this being an issue if someone passes it on to someone vulnerable then I'm sure they'll be in big trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Yea that's what we were telling him but he's refusing to as he has a game coming up and is showing no symptoms. He's been training and coming into contact with 30 other lads every other day.

It's people like him that ruin it for us all. Cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why would I want to 'rat' on my friend? I can just seeing this being an issue if someone passes it on to someone vulnerable then I'm sure they'll be in big trouble.

At that stage it's too late....

If anyone knows or thinks they may have it then they should step up to the plate and do what is needed.
    I appreciate people have bills, mortgage etc but is that worth it if someone dies... Look I'm going about as normal as possible. Its a tough one for all.

I do hope it ends very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

The club/team is very unlikely to be happy if he infects the whole team and results in them having to cancel training / matches for weeks.

It's anything but showing respect, support and looking out for his teammates. If it were me, I'd be asking someone who did that to just leave the club.

if you're part of a team, surely you've a sense of duty to look out for your teammates?

If you think about it, are you willing to watch him ignore all the advice and science, go to the match,and to possibly infect others for the sake of a game of football?

As I see it, your knowing, and not doing anything is almost as bad.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but if he's saying he's going to this match, (and no doubt training last night or tonight, on top of it), and you do nothing? I think it's pretty poor form out of both of ye, for very different reasons.

Not wanting to get all Stasi on you or anything, but a serious amount of people are going to be affected if he is positive, as he very well may be.

As another poster said, these are the people that are making everything much more difficult and drawn out for the whole country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

He's not your friend if this is his behaviour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why would I want to 'rat' on my friend?

I can just seeing this being an issue if someone passes it on to someone vulnerable then I'm sure they'll be in big trouble.
    You might want to explain to your friend that a) he's being completely irresponsible to himself and others in potentially catching it; and b) that if he catches it and does pass it on to somebody else who doesn't recover quickly + fully, then he'll have the guilt of potentially ruining somebody else's live, and potentially killing them - plus, he may well have to deal with a bunch of very angry people too - possibly including everybody on his team, and everybody related to them.

His contempt for others makes a mockery of the efforts that the rest of us are putting in, each day and every day.

Hi all, just for a little update on this.

Turns out that a few members of the team subsequently ended up testing positive for the virus about 2 weeks later. They had lost their championship match and were knocked out by this point so it made very little difference to the team.

Here's the best part, it was never linked back to him and he's now training away with the county team as it's considered elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you are worried call your own GP and explain, they will arrange a test for you

Gael23 wrote: »
    If you are worried call your own GP and explain, they will arrange a test for you

I was tested initially when my other friend tested positive and stayed well clear of the other friend who refused to be tested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi all, just for a little update on this.

Turns out that a few members of the team subsequently ended up testing positive for the virus about 2 weeks later. They had lost their championship match and were knocked out by this point so it made very little difference to the team.

Here's the best part, it was never linked back to him and he's now training away with the county team as it's considered elite.

Did you ever report him to the club at all? I still would tell the club as its a disgrace he decided to not care about his own team mates health or the health of their families.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Did you ever report him to the club at all? I still would tell the club as its a disgrace he decided to not care about his own team mates health or the health of their families.

I never reported him as it would have ruined my relationship with a lot of people in the locality, I know that's not right, but it was the reality.

I, as I'm sure others, no longer see him in the same light following the incident. The height of selfishness.

The funny part is, it's individuals like this, that are still allowed to travel around the country playing sport as they are seen as 'elite', even if we move to level 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Very bad form not reporting him. Could have been done anonymously. You knowingly put the lives of others at risk.

Advertisement