Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flag words in banking

• 10-09-2020 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've just had a call from PTSB, who have flagged a payment transfer I've made, as I had the word 'bloom' in the reference. The money has left my account, but hasn't been deposited in the recipients account yet as a result.

Can anyone explain why the term 'bloom' would be an issue?

Never had this happen to me before, but I know someone who transferred money between two accounts, with the reference 'Iran holiday', because they were going on holiday to Iran. Bank of Ireland froze the transfer, and continued to delay all transfers from her account for a couple of years after this, until she got a solicitor involved in the matter.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not ask the bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why not ask the bank?

I did, the guy who called didn't know. It was flagged by Citibank, who handles their transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Effects wrote: »
    I've just had a call from PTSB, who have flagged a payment transfer I've made, as I had the word 'bloom' in the reference. The money has left my account, but hasn't been deposited in the recipients account yet as a result.

Can anyone explain why the term 'bloom' would be an issue?

Never had this happen to me before, but I know someone who transferred money between two accounts, with the reference 'Iran holiday', because they were going on holiday to Iran. Bank of Ireland froze the transfer, and continued to delay all transfers from her account for a couple of years after this, until she got a solicitor involved in the matter.

A guess would be the fact it is related to plants and therefore possibly weed

That's a bit of a stretch surely. How do florists manage to get any banking done if that's the case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"Boom" would have been worse presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That's a bit of a stretch surely. How do florists manage to get any banking done if that's the case.

Because the systems are lot smarter than that.... all I can say on the subject.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Because the systems are lot smarter than that.... all I can say on the subject.

Yet not smart enough that they flag a transaction with the term 'bloom' in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I did, the guy who called didn't know. It was flagged by Citibank, who handles their transfers.
    Google 'OFAC sanctions', 'tipping off' and 'criminal justice act 2010', it's a minefield for banks. The banks are prohibited from disclosing to you the exact reason the reference on your payment is being reviewed by either themselves or an external bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Connavar wrote: »
    A guess would be the fact it is related to plants and therefore possibly weed

I was thinking poppies and heroin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭bilbot79

There could be someone on the OFAC sanctions list with a nickname or alias 'Bloom' which would cause an alert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement