Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Sons gaming Computer

Options
  • 10-09-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

So my son wants to upgrade his computer and has asked for a MB/Processor and ram for christmas

He's currently got

MSI B250 PC MATE
    Intel Core i5-7400 - Boxed
    Nvidia 1070 8Gb Video
    Crucial BallistixSport 8GB DDR4 CL16 2400MT/s memory
    Large case for all Form factors
    Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold Power
    M2 and SSD drives

I've always gone Intel as I've just gotten into the habit as in my day they were always better (old school....really old school!) but I'm open to any and all. I won't be telling him about overclocking, so just boxed settings.

With all the Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles - he could possibly have a budget of €500

He plays Rainbow Seige, COD, and games like that.

Any recommendations on upgrading?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD are releasing info on new processors in 1 month, so I expect the current Ryzen 3000 CPUs to either be replaced by higher-performing ones outright, or massively drop in price.

As for motherboard, MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA, MSI B550-A PRO or Asus PRIME X570-P would be my sub-200EUR recommendations though you can also get away with a MSI B450M MORTAR MAX at 95EUR (unless it turns out B450 is not compatible with 4000-series)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Asus Prime X570-P owner here, it's a solid, but very badly designed motherboard. The GPU impedes the chipset fan and the top m.2 slot. I'd go for one of the B550 recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Have almost the exact same build but with a Vega 56. Apart from that, very similar right down to the same CPU and Mobo. Do as Kiki says, wait. Your money will go a lot farther. I've the guts of a grand squirrelled away that I've been ring fencing since March for around this time. Thought I'd have to wait until November but Xmas came early.

Very good list of mobos Kiki but I've also got my eye on the MSI B550 GAMING EDGE. Not crazy about the lack of USB ports but I've decided I'm going to get USB hubs to mount under the table for better cable management anyway so I can live with it. Just need to decide if I'm drilling a hole in the table :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Ram is also crazy cheap at the moment. Nobody needs 32gb, but when it's this cheap, why not https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0171GQR0C/

Advertisement