Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training plans

Options
  • 10-09-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any training plans they could share?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Has anyone got any training plans they could share?

Cheers

Ride alot....

Seriously though, what do you want to train for? A 10mile TT or the Wicklow 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

More bike less Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've come to the conclusion that training is a complete waste of time. This year, because of lockdown I had my purplest patch of biking ever. 5 to 6 days a week for April, May and June and then regular much longer spins July and August.
    Slthe last two weeks I've done nothing midweek and just did Saturday and Sunday and my legs are looking at me with a confused "What fresh, strange circular motion is all of a sudden being required of us???" :confused: :rolleyes:

Training miles off go off quicker than milk left out in the sun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

nilhg wrote: »
    Ride alot....

Seriously though, what do you want to train for? A 10mile TT or the Wicklow 200?

Just a training plan to increase performance on the bike if such a thing exists.

At the moment I get out for one maybe two long spins per week, I suppose what I’m asking is, is there anything people do in between the weekend in terms of short duration high intensity training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just a training plan to increase performance on the bike if such a thing exists.

At the moment I get out for one maybe two long spins per week, I suppose what I’m asking is, is there anything people do in between the weekend in terms of short duration high intensity training?

I suppose for someone who wants to add in some intensity and structure to their midweek rides a session like 2x20 would be the place to start, there are other similar sessions too if you want a little variety, some more info at the link below.

As a general rule the last 5 minutes of each 20 should feel hard but not so hard you think you won't be able to complete.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/3-workouts-to-raise-your-functional-threshold-power/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

fat bloke wrote: »

Training miles off go off quicker than milk left out in the sun :(

You top end will go quickly if you're not training it. But it doesn't take long to come back either.

Your aerobic base will not go quickly though. On the other hand, it takes a long time to build up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I have free month trials for TrainerRoad if interested in working on turbo - there is also outdoor option for plans but haven’t tried that and would find suitable locations for Threshold and Vo2 Max work hard to find I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I have free month trials for TrainerRoad if interested in working on turbo - there is also outdoor option for plans but haven’t tried that and would find suitable locations for Threshold and Vo2 Max work hard to find I would imagine

I've a few of these as well if anyone wants one. Just send me a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I don't have a structured plan as such but I do regular hilly or interval type spins. Just for variety. I noticed the biggest improvement (perceived) was after a few weeks of sweet spot sessions, I do have a PM which helps to keep focus on the effort but 3 or 4 10 min at sweet spot is a tough enough spin, but I think has benefited me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

daragh_ wrote: »
    I've a few of these as well if anyone wants one. Just send me a DM.

DM sent, may switch from Zwift this winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've done a couple of outdoor workouts. Technically, worked really well on my Wahoo Bolt. But terrain a bit too rolling where I am. I'd really need to do hill repeats, and tbh that's not any more attractive to me than the turbo.

The outdoor workouts have RPE options too. And they do have "virtual power" for some turbos.

Anyway, I have referral codes too - need a DM with your name and email.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Haven’t used Zwift training plans so would be interested to hear how posters thought they compared to TrainerRoad. Have found TrainerRoad plans excellent and while more lo-fi in comparison coming from Zwift interface they definitely get you to shine a light in darker corners when it comes to improving areas for development.
    ratracer wrote: »
    DM sent, may switch from Zwift this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haven’t used Zwift training plans so would be interested to hear how posters thought they compared to TrainerRoad. Have found TrainerRoad plans excellent and while more lo-fi in comparison coming from Zwift interface they definitely get you to shine a light in darker corners when it comes to improving areas for development.
    Haven't done a plan, but have done a couple of workouts - swapped a couple endurance workouts from my TR plan, and at the start of lock down those "Classics" workouts. Whatever about the plans, I preferred the TR interface to be honest. And I also missed the extend warm-up/ cool-down function.

I've only really read "reviews" on the TrainerRoad forum, so there's obviously a bit of bias. I'm on TrainerRoad a few years so retaining my price plan, so if paying for two subs became an issue, I'd be dropping zwift most likely, much as I've enjoyed events and "races" during lockdown.

Advertisement