Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky CPU cooler

Options
  • 10-09-2020 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Yesterday I was replacing the GPU in my custom built machine and something caught my eye.

The hose part of the liquid CPU cooler that hooks up to the radiator, had a white substance near the connection points.
    Looked a bit like mould or maybe rust!
    I didn't really examine it that much, as it's my first liquid cooler and it's been in there since 2016, without me really paying attention to it.

It's a Corsair H55.

Could the system not be fully sealed?
    Is this normal wear and tear?
    Should I take some pics when I get home from work, to show what's going on?
    Suppose I need a new one, should I buy the same one or are others recommended?
    Am I in the right forum? :pac:

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can't help without pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH you'll get as good if not better cooling from a big air cooler assuming you have the space. A lot less to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can't help without pics.

Cool, I'll take a few later and upload :)
    TBH you'll get as good if not better cooling from a big air cooler assuming you have the space. A lot less to go wrong.

Yeah, was thinking that alright.
    I'm in a Carbide Air 240 case, which is mATX I think you call it.
    Will have to get out the measuring tape! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Cool, I'll take a few later and upload :)

Yeah, was thinking that alright.
    I'm in a Carbide Air 240 case, which is mATX I think you call it.
    Will have to get out the measuring tape! :D

Max cooler size is 120mm for the carbide air 240, noctua NH-D9L would be your best bet. It's such a daft size that there isn't many options, I had a similar issue and went with an AIO too but to be honest if I was doing it again I'd go with the noctua.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctua-nh-d9l-dual-tower-cpu-cooler-1x-nf-a9-pwm-fan-copper-base-heatpipes-aluminium-fins-intel-amd

The Carbide Air 240 can only fit coolers up to 120mm so you're quite limited in air options.

Best seem to be be quiet Shadow Rock LP, Scythe Big Shuriken 3 or Noctua NH-D9L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Love those cases. Had one a while back and was very tempted by the ATX version.

Just gonna pop a link to an Imgur gallery, with the photo's that I took.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6s9oo0S

I can embed if needed!

It's only on the hose part attached to the rad that there's any of that build up!
    There's nothing on the part connected to the CPU.

Thanks again :)

Did anyone get a chance to look at the pics? :)

It does look a bad but I've no experience with leaky AIOs.
    Can you RMA it? Cos it doesn't look good.

Was bought and built in March 2016!

Ah, I'll just have to buy another one when I get paid, I'll look into the ones that you and squidgy suggested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have no experience with leaking AIO's. But that doesn't look good. And both hoses seem to be very slightly leaking and last thing you want is it to leak on the MB.

Yeah, I might try get a replacement soon as possible.
    It's vertical, when the case is on the ground, so I don't think it's affected the mobo so far!
    Fingers crossed.

Advertisement