Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 socket trailer connector, 8 wires?

Options
  • 10-09-2020 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,
    I’m trying to connect a 7 socket connector belonging to a horse trailer for a neighbour. There is an additional 8th wire which is grey in colour. Would I require a 13 socket connector instead and use a 7 pin converter or can I double wire the grey into an alternative slot?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

you might have better luck posting in the Farming & Forestry forum, motors forum or maybe the caravanning forum (I've spelt that wrong I'm sure!) The people on those forums would deal with 7 pin/13 pin plugs a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,462 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Check for continuity between the grey wire and the earth wire on the plug (usually white)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The first thing I would do is trace back the cable and see if the grey wire is actually used anywhere, or whether it's just a spare. 7 core cable contains everything necessary to extend standard lighting to the trailer board. Anything on top of that tends to be for *extras* for example, bringing a permanent live for running lighting inside the trailer when the power is off. I'd check to see if it's being used first, and for what, before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,462 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He got sorted (posted in Motorhomes forum too)

Advertisement