Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

sabat wrote: »
    Amusing little circle-jerk going on here...although I have noticed the circle getting smaller these last few weeks. I've also noticed many of the posts in the main covid19 forum are starting to read exactly like a post from in here 6 months ago...

There's a big difference between people in the covid forum wanting restrictions to end because they want to get back to work, see family, get back to normality and those who want restrictions to end because they think they are part of a global conspiracy to do something something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

buzzerxx wrote: »
    A lot of you all cant tell the difference between Science and $cience.

So, no argument to make at all other than YouTube videos that you obviously didn't watch and a link to a 90 year old story. Okie dokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.bitchute.com/video/MUxOZHoBtdnr/

This courtesy of a comment on the Irish Times FB today. These are the woke eejits we are dealing with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Amusing little circle-jerk going on here...although I have noticed the circle getting smaller these last few weeks. I've also noticed many of the posts in the main covid19 forum are starting to read exactly like a post from in here 6 months ago...

Some of the same posters, and probably some of the old posters here that have re-registered as they tend to very often. They must have found a lenient mod to put up with nonsense.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

This courtesy of a comment on the Irish Times FB today. These are the woke eejits we are dealing with

Deliberate misinterpretation of the truth and reality. Or just plain stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

PintOfView wrote: »
    Sorry, don't have time to be listening to her videos, looked at the first couple of minutes, and switched off when she started talking about "controlling the freedom of people living in Ireland"

If she has good points to make, can you listen to the videos, and put her main points up here to read?

If she is a barrister she should be familiar with the concept of taking an argument and pointing out where it's wrong, and for what reason.
    So if she thinks lockdowns don't work, then get her to explain to us why they don't work?
    And get her to explain why cases reduced each time we locked down?
    And I'd also be interested in her solution to this whole thing?

You won't find her doing that. But you will easily find out how to donate to her.

In case anyone is uncertain she is a grifter and has encouraged people to break the law. She just wants fame and your money and does not care how she achieves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Had a look at that and it's pretty much nonsense.
    How is the UK government putting out a tender to extend their Covid information campaign for two years proof of the conspiracy in that guy's head?

I'm sorry but he could do with a bit of waking up himself!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Notmything wrote: »
    There's a big difference between people in the covid forum wanting restrictions to end because they want to get back to work, see family, get back to normality and those who want restrictions to end because they think they are part of a global conspiracy to do something something

That's not what I said. More and more "ordinary" people have reached the logical conclusion that this has nothing to do with a virus and they are stating so. Have you noticed how the Irish media-from Una Mulally to Claire Byrne- have really been pushing the "conspiracy theory rabbit hole" narrative these last couple of weeks? In particular, they've been encouraging people to look down on/view as mentally ill family and friends who question the official line? It's almost as if the machine recognises that the truth is spreading organically and finding some critical mass and they're trying to stamp it out. They also seem to have dispensed with the far-right/fascist smear of late, because that wasn't sticking.

That's not what I said. More and more "ordinary" people have reached the logical conclusion that this has nothing to do with a virus and they are stating so. Have you noticed how the Irish media-from Una Mulally to Claire Byrne- have really been pushing the "conspiracy theory rabbit hole" narrative these last couple of weeks? In particular, they've been encouraging people to look down on/view as mentally ill family and friends who question the official line? It's almost as if the machine recognises that the truth is spreading organically and finding some critical mass and they're trying to stamp it out. They also seem to have dispensed with the far-right/fascist smear of late, because that wasn't sticking.

I wouldn't describe individuals who believe in conspiracy theories mentally ill but would consider their thinking suspect. No I don't read or listen to much Irish media tbh, it's too biased in its reporting I find. But I must be missing out on all the attempts to stamp out critical thinking.

What I do see is a public grown weary of the ongoing restrictions and getting fed up of failures to meet vaccination targets or how the country will reopen. But, the only individuals I've heard claim that the situation is not because of the pandemic/virus are those who buy into conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Conspiracy theorists are not just people questioning the official narrative: at the lowest end they’ve contrarians/sh!t posters the whole way through to I know something you sheeple don’t to being unable to accept the randomness of events. Always going to be again the “mainstream”, impervious to facts and absolutely no issues with failed predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I feel like I'm stuck in a game of Metal Gear Solid reading some of their garbage

That's not what I said. More and more "ordinary" people have reached the logical conclusion that this has nothing to do with a virus and they are stating so.

If more people are gullible enough to believe the pandemic is nothing to do with the virus, then aren't they becoming deluded?
    Have you noticed how the Irish media-from Una Mulally to Claire Byrne- have really been pushing the "conspiracy theory rabbit hole" narrative these last couple of weeks? In particular, they've been encouraging people to look down on/view as mentally ill family and friends who question the official line? It's almost as if the machine recognises that the truth is spreading organically and finding some critical mass and they're trying to stamp it out. They also seem to have dispensed with the far-right/fascist smear of late, because that wasn't sticking.

I'm not part of any machine, and I still think that the conspiracy stuff is simply wrong, and downright deluded.
    And my holding you to account for what you say, and pushing you to justify your views, is not a machine doing it.
    So how is Claire Byrne or anyone else doing the same thing suggestive of 'the machine', as you put it?

Don't you see that some of what conspiracy theorists believe is just way off the scale, and not justified by any reality.
    If it was justified whey can't they provide evidence?
    The usual response is to link to other conspiracy believers, simply repeating the same thing, without any justification
    (but you will see 'could' used a lot, and vague questions being posed, leaving the reader to deduce the conspirational answer themselves)

I've not seen anything yet that would justify any of those beliefs.
    However, I have seen plenty of invalid conclusions being drawn, based on single examples, or coincidences, etc.
    I have never seen a thorough analysis on any of those sites. Have you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Notmything wrote: »
    But, the only individuals I've heard claim that the situation is not because of the pandemic/virus are those who buy into conspiracies.

That sums up the trap. If the official story is bollocks, by definition the truth must be a conspiracy. However, in the popular imagination, conspiracy theorists are insane, hence anyone who questions the government and media is insane. We now live in a state where even the slightest dissent leads a person to be marginalised and attacked-does that sound like a healthy democratic society?

That sums up the trap. If the official story is bollocks, by definition the truth must be a conspiracy. However, in the popular imagination, conspiracy theorists are insane, hence anyone who questions the government and media is insane. We now live in a state where even the slightest dissent leads a person to be marginalised and attacked-does that sound like a healthy democratic society?

There are plenty of people who believe false things without being insane.
    Anyone who isn't in the habit of verifying things for themselves is vulnerable to accepting, without question, well presented opinions of others, some of which can be completely wrong.

Why do you think I appear to believe different things to what you believe?
    One reason is because I don't just believe what I see on every web site, without discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a look at that and it's pretty much nonsense.
    How is the UK government putting out a tender to extend their Covid information campaign for two years proof of the conspiracy in that guy's head?

I'm sorry but he could do with a bit of waking up himself!!

Yeah. An insight into truther logic

I never suggested any of what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You have made up your own personal conspiracy theory about Covid, which you claim is going to be revealed this summer.

If we ask you the details you can't provide anything coherent. If we ask questions about it, you dodge them.

The only conclusion is you actually think that world events revolve around your imagination, which is borderline.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Sorry, don't have time to be listening to her videos, looked at the first couple of minutes, and switched off when she started talking about "controlling the freedom of people living in Ireland"

If she has good points to make, can you listen to the videos, and put her main points up here to read?

If she is a barrister she should be familiar with the concept of taking an argument and pointing out where it's wrong, and for what reason.
    So if she thinks lockdowns don't work, then get her to explain to us why they don't work?

I understand your problem. its called cognitive dissonance, i hope u recover soon

I understand your problem. its called cognitive dissonance, i hope u recover soon

You yourself believe that "rich people" have created this entire pandemic, in order to create a vaccine, that's specifically designed to kill people over 90..

You've arrived at that extraordinary conspiracy with no credible evidence, you can't detail it, it's completely nuts and you can't answer the most basic questions on it.

And other people have cognitive dissonance?

I had to look up "cognitive dissonance". Here's what wikipedia says it is
    "In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance occurs when a person holds contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values"

I don't see how anything I said is contradictory?
    Do you want to explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

So can you give me a couple of facts that you actually 'know' about Bill Gates,
    and not stuff you just repeat from posters on other fringe sites, who themselves are just
    repeating stuff they haven't actually bothered to research either?

The stuff on that thread you link to is hardly credible, is it?

You say "he's clearly reprehensible".
    If you are so confident then pop a couple of concrete facts you know about Bill Gates up here, and I'll happily check them for you!
    However please don't just dump a link to some web site, or other thread!

Also, can you refute that Bill G seems to have given something like 50 billion (that's 50,000 million) to various causes,
    and likely has improved the lives of at least 10's, but probably 100's, of millions of real people.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/bill-gates-foundation-philanthropy/

Sorry, i don't have time to be checking boards day in day out to see who might be looking for information from me because I have a demanding job and family life. I fact-checked this article and it is 100% completely correct.

Also Scopex has been cancelled thankfully. You can't just be blocking out the sun even if you are a billionaire, we all have to share this planet and the fallout from wacky climate experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    You yourself believe that "rich people" have created this entire pandemic, in order to create a vaccine, that's specifically designed to kill people over 90..

You've arrived at that extraordinary conspiracy with no credible evidence, you can't detail it, it's completely nuts and you can't answer the most basic questions on it.

And other people have cognitive dissonance?

Good article in the big evil Irish Times today about conspiracy theories and this basically sums it up.

"It occurred to me then that what conspiracy theorists really believed in was an emotional truth about an evil other that wasn’t affected much by something as messy as specific facts."

Its post truth basically. I dont like it and cant explain any of it but its a conspiracy.

And this is amusing. Speaking of cognitive dissonance.

"They also had a high tolerance for cognitive dissonance. On stage Ian R Crane suggested that the Irish government didn’t know about the Illuminati’s terrible plans, then later suggested the Irish government was completely embroiled in this vast conspiracy. Nobody seemed remotely fazed by the contradiction."

Sorry, i don't have time to be checking boards day in day out to see who might be looking for information from me because I have a demanding job and family life. I fact-checked this article and it is 100% completely correct.

Also Scopex has been cancelled thankfully. You can't just be blocking out the sun even if you are a billionaire, we all have to share this planet and the fallout from wacky climate experiments.

Got to sign up to read that article.

That piece is behind a paywall. But have come across it before. If I recall correctly - basically if Gates supports a vaccine that is made by a corporation, that's grounds for criticism that he's indirectly supporting "corporate capitalism", likewise if he gives a contract to a related business to e.g. research a new type of sanitation system, again, he can be accused of "conflict of interest". If anyone gives away such a vast amount of their own money, then it's going to be easy to cherry-pick individual contributions and cast shade on them, whether it's merited or not.

What's happening on this forum and others is that conspiracy theorists are accusing him of manufacturing the Covid pandemic, accusing him of secretly planting microchips in people and all that silly stuff. These are, of course, completely untrue. Unable to support these claims, conspiracy theorists resort instead to gaslighting via character assassination, dredging up any negative article, regardless of context.

That piece is behind a paywall. But have come across it before. If I recall correctly - basically if Gates supports a vaccine that is made by a corporation, that's grounds for criticism that he's indirectly supporting "corporate capitalism", likewise if he gives a contract to a related business to e.g. research a new type of sanitation system, again, he can be accused of "conflict of interest". If anyone gives away such a vast amount of their own money, then it's going to be easy to cherry-pick individual contributions and cast shade on them, whether it's merited or not.

What's happening on this forum and others is that conspiracy theorists are accusing him of manufacturing the Covid pandemic, accusing him of secretly planting microchips in people and all that silly stuff. These are, of course, completely untrue. Unable to support these claims, conspiracy theorists resort instead to gaslighting via character assassination, dredging up any negative article, regardless of context.

Popping in and out of this thread is a bit like visiting a lunatic asylum. You leave truth, reality and logic behind and step into genuine madness. It's interesting for a short while but then becomes repetitive and boring. No facts, just fantasy.

So can you give me a couple of facts that you actually 'know' about Bill Gates,
    and not stuff you just repeat from posters on other fringe sites, who themselves are just
    repeating stuff they haven't actually bothered to research either?

The stuff on that thread you link to is hardly credible, is it?

You say "he's clearly reprehensible".
    If you are so confident then pop a couple of concrete facts you know about Bill Gates up here, and I'll happily check them for you!
    However please don't just dump a link to some web site, or other thread!

Also, can you refute that Bill G seems to have given something like 50 billion (that's 50,000 million) to various causes,
    and likely has improved the lives of at least 10's, but probably 100's, of millions of real people.

But you've just done it again (dumped a link to a web site, and it's not even readable without a subscription)!

You also didn't refute that Bill Gates seems to have given 50 billion to good causes!
    Look it up, it's on wikipedia, and say what you disagree with!!

So I'll repeat the challenge to you,
    If you are so confident he's reprehensible then pop a couple of concrete facts you know believe about Bill Gates up here, and I'll happily check them for you!

And a link to a web site is a cop out.
    If you believe what's on that web site then put up here what they say,
    and I can fact check it (and sorry if I don't have confidence in your fact checking!)

Neil Clark's latest article on masks: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/520597-masks-davos-wef-covid/

"In their recent paper, ‘Evaluating England’s Road Map out of Lockdown‘, published on the UK government’s website, the Imperial College Covid-19 Response team state: “Whilst the impact of Test Trace Isolate, mask wearing, hand hygiene and COVID security on ‘R‘ is difficult to quantify it will be vital to emphasise the importance of normalising and ensuring adherence to all measures even after ‘full lifting’ is achieved.” Got that? Masks need to stay even after Boris Johnson says 'Lockdown is over‘.

It’s in this context that the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) enthusiastic promotion of the Chinese ‘smart face mask’ needs to be seen. It apparently reminds users when to wash it and checks if they’re wearing it properly. If too much carbon dioxide builds up inside, a phone alert reminds the wearer to catch a few breaths of fresh air. If the user forgets to put it on, the same phone app sends them a reminder to mask up.

This is not about public health, but all about making sure that measures introduced ostensibly to stop the spread of Covid-19 become permanent. Yes, once again the much-derided ‘crackpot conspiracy theorists’ of 2020 have been proved right.

Remember how last summer, the WEF was promoting a ‘Common Pass‘ health passport scheme, not just for international travel but for access to domestic events too? It would never happen, we were told. That’s ‘David Icke stuff’, was the condescending brush-off. Well, that too has come to pass – no pun intended."

"The BBC’s Health Correspondent Deborah Cohen asked the World Health Organisation if their change of advice on masks had been due to political lobbying, and they did not deny."

Was it ever established from whom the lobbying came?

He also predicts there will be a national lockdown in October. He says he has an inside source in the Government: https://twitter.com/neilclark66/status/1357415312078086148

In the US, meanwhile, HHS is spending $500,000 on a contest asking people to improve annoyances of masks that stop Americans from complying with mandates: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9427489/Biden-launches-10M-vaccine-ad-campaign-500k-competition-fix-annoying-masks.html

"It's unclear why Biden is looking to improve masks if they will likely no longer be needed once Americans are vaccinated and the administration's goal of a return 'normalcy' remains July 4, 2021."

Neil Clark's latest article on masks: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/520597-masks-davos-wef-covid/

It's been explained that Neil Clark is an anti-mask loon. RT is Russia Today, a Russian state propaganda network (popular with conspiracy theorists)

You can't grasp simple concepts explained by multiple people here, yet you immediately swallow any anti-mask propaganda without question. Hmm.

It's been explained that Neil Clark is an anti-mask loon. RT is Russia Today, a Russian state propaganda network (popular with conspiracy theorists)

You can't grasp simple concepts explained by multiple people here, yet you immediately swallow any anti-mask propaganda without question. Hmm.

He predicted vaccine passports and the various lockdowns.

Biden said masks for 100 days and now they're developing new masks for future use. And why are smart masks being developed and promoted by WEF? They're not being developed for temporary use. Just like the vaccine passport in the UK, if introduced, as seems likely, will very likely not be temporary. Too much money will have been spent on developing the system. It's been in the works since around October of last year.

• Advertisement

He predicted vaccine passports and the various lockdowns.

I predicted vaccine passports, other measures and particular lockdowns. What does that mean? nothing.
    Biden said masks for 100 days

He said "mask up" for 100 days.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-15/biden-asks-americans-to-mask-up-for-100-days-criticizing-gop

He didn't say "we will only wear masks for 100 days and that's it the virus will definitely be finished and we'll never need masks again" did he?

Stop reading crappy conspiracy sites.
    And why are smart masks being developed and promoted by WEF

Contingency. The virus might last longer than expected, or not. Again, stop reading conspiracy anti-mask sites that conveniently distort everything into anti-mask/conspiracy narratives

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement