Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

patnor1011 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Being tested positive and getting ill are 2 very different scenarios particularly with covid where well over half of "cases" or "tested positive" never develop a single symptom never mind any illness.

Did you read what Ted Nugent said?

"I thought I was dying".

"I literally could hardly crawl out of bed the last few days"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Talking about covid deniers and comparing people with different opinion to holocaust denier is complete crazy stuff. It is flat out kindergarten stuff.
    You go in so much extreme that some people may call you covid fanatic. Extremes on both sides are usually populated by people with generally very low IQ.
    Over 3 million people have died due to covid.
    People on this thread have claimed that covid isn't real among other claims that the number is being inflated for various nefarious reasons they can't detail or explain.

These are the same tactics and arguments used by holocaust deniers unfortunately.

If you don't like the apt comparison, maybe stop using the same tactics?
    People can cite studies or newspaper articles we do have saying in a sense that paper never complains about what is printed on it but real life do have its own experiences which many times differ from what people think that it is happening.
    This is borderline incoherent. However, you seem to be saying that all studies are invalid.
    Why do you believe this?
    Are the scientists behind the studies just stupid? Or are they part of a conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Talking about covid deniers and comparing people with different opinion to holocaust denier is complete crazy stuff. It is flat out kindergarten stuff.
    You go in so much extreme that some people may call you covid fanatic. Extremes on both sides are usually populated by people with generally very low IQ.

They use the same techniques.

Deniers attack and distort information in order to create doubt. This thread has been full of Covid deniers doing nothing but that. They try to cast doubt on the figures in order to attempt to revise them downward. This is because they have beliefs that the pandemic is "fake" and that the deaths are "overblown", the figures "fudged", in order to scare/control the populace, yadda yadda. Using the exact same techniques as other groups who deny death figures to fit a twisted agenda.

As soon they are asked for real figures (and they've been repeatedly asked in this and other threads) they can never provide any, they can't provide their methodology, nothing.

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Deniers attack and distort information in order to create doubt. This thread has been full of Covid deniers doing nothing but that. They try to cast doubt on the figures in order to attempt to revise them downward. This is because they have beliefs that the pandemic is "fake" and that the deaths are "overblown", the figures "fudged", in order to scare/control the populace, yadda yadda. Using the exact same techniques as other groups who deny death figures to fit a twisted agenda.

As soon they are asked for real figures (and they've been repeatedly asked in this and other threads) they can never provide any, they can't provide their methodology, nothing.

"We're not saying all the deaths are fake, just the numbers are being exaggerated by the conspiracy."
    "We'd show evidence, but all the real research is being suppressed."
    "Here's a random quote out of context that I interpret to support the conspiracy theory."
    "Here's some rando who is/claims to be an expert who claims something wild with no evidence."

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Lockdowns have nothing to do with this. Excess in April was simply due to emptying hospitals and shipping vulnerable people to nursing houses where care was simply put not the same they would get in hospitals.
    Lockdowns and their effectivity is holy grail for people who live in a fantasy "what if" land. Real examples of how they work or rather not work can be seen in real life like for example like nobody can explain funny fact that states in the USA with the most lockdown had the most deaths compared to states with very little of restrictions if any. There are states mainly in what we call developing nations with barely functioning health system and pretty much zero lockdowns or restrictions and strangely enough there is no end of the times or some mass covid extinction event going on.
    PintOfView wrote: »
    I can't see how just shipping people from hospitals to nursing homes caused them to die.
    Surely they would have picked people who were judged not to need continuing hospital care.
    Are you saying Covid had nothing to do with it?
    What makes you believe what you say?

As regards lockdowns not working.
    You're saying that states in the US with the most lockdowns had the most deaths,
    compared to states with very little restrictions.

Fair enough, but that's easy to say, even if it wasn't true. Can you give me a few examples?
    so, a few states with lockdowns and lots of deaths,
    and states with no restrictions and low deaths?

You haven't given any examples to justify your recent post.

Are you interested in getting to the truth/reality of the situation?
    Or are you content to push second hand ideas which you can't justify?

Can I assume from your silence that you are not able to back up your assertions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You talk about distortion when it may be revision or new facts come to consideration. You seems to think that what you hear now is a gospel and never change because you know, science... studies... predictions...
    Do you remember how we were bombarded with info how virus survive such and such time on here or there, people were afraid to handle cash, take groceries or god forbid brush against someone. Some people still believe that and walk around in rubber gloves that kind you use when cleaning oven.
    According to CDC report from last week chance to get covid from contaminated surface is 1 in 10,000 which is pretty much nothing.
    We still learn new stuff but some people refuse to accept new findings and cling on craziness.
    Even Fauci cant explain difference between deaths in California which is one of the most restricted US states with those in Florida which has preciously little to none restrictions.

Well, I said it many times. I have nothing against you wearing mask, refusing to move out of your own house and eagerly awaiting some vaccine or all of them. Do what you feel you should do.
    I do not suffer from doomsday pandemic scare and live my life as full as I can. As another poster mentioned your outlook is pretty much equal to your lifestyle choices not just with covid but many other more deadlier stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s actually quite funny. People on this thread would do anything to avoid sitting with a known covid positive person, yet everything is a conspiracy ��

You haven't given any examples to justify your recent post.

Are you interested in getting to the truth/reality of the situation?
    Or are you content to push second hand ideas which you can't justify?

Can I assume from your silence that you are not able to back up your assertions?

Forgive me for not realizing you are Justifying Authority. Pretty much every country with a lot of deaths in recent past had the most of them precisely in nursing houses. I am not going to debate level of care in nursing house and hospital - they simply are not on the same level and everyone knows that.

Plenty of examples all around the world. I will give you better one. Since I work in a place which dealt with "outbreak" where 20% of residents tested positive first time and about the same second time few months after, I do have pretty much firsthand experience with this deadly pandemic. So much actually that despite being in one of the most vulnerable category I politely refused AZ vaccine which was offered to me about 3 weeks ago. I figured that since there are people who are so scared that they barely can function they will be one place ahead.

Forgive me for not realizing you are Justifying Authority. Pretty much every country with a lot of deaths in recent past had the most of them precisely in nursing houses. I am not going to debate level of care in nursing house and hospital - they simply are not on the same level and everyone knows that.

Plenty of examples all around the world. I will give you better one. Since I work in a place which dealt with "outbreak" where 20% of residents tested positive first time and about the same second time few months after, I do have pretty much firsthand experience with this deadly pandemic. So much actually that despite being in one of the most vulnerable category I politely refused AZ vaccine which was offered to me about 3 weeks ago. I figured that since there are people who are so scared that they barely can function they will be one place ahead.

A lot of anecdotal stuff going on here.

Approx. 3 million people have died globally as a result of Covid 19, according to you, is that correct or not? (a yes/no will do)

It’s actually quite funny. People on this thread would do anything to avoid sitting with a known covid positive person, yet everything is a conspiracy ��

Funny indeed. Both extremes in plain view. Everyone so sure about their info being the holiest truth out there it feels like a waste of time to even try to debate something.
    Since some people literally have nothing else to do but to sit on internet and soak in every crazy thing they like it is hard to engage. If you do not conform to their view in full you suddenly become holocaust denier.

Lol world did not cease to exist and will not do so any time soon. And certainly not because of this "deadly pandemic which if not restricted would spread like wildfire with people dropping dead on the streets" (that is my favorite one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Forgive me for not realizing you are Justifying Authority.
    If you think I am simply justifying authority then you have jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    I try to get to the objective reality of the situation, nothing more.
    You may wish to recalibrate how you attribute supposed motives to other people!
    Pretty much every country with a lot of deaths in recent past had the most of them precisely in nursing houses. I am not going to debate level of care in nursing house and hospital - they simply are not on the same level and everyone knows that.

I won't argue with you about nursing homes as you have experience of them and I don't.

However what I will argue with you about are the statements and claims you made in an earlier post,
    and for which you have provided no backup information so far.

If you are genuinely interested in the objective truth you should be able to either:
    a) provide references that back up your claims that the most restrictive states
    in the US had the highest deaths, while the least restrictive had the lowest. or
    b) if you have checked it out, and found you are mistaken, be gracious enough to admit it.

In a sea of misinformation it is not unreasonable for you to fact check me, and vice versa,
    and we all need to be working off reality in order to make sound decisions.

A lot of anecdotal stuff going on here.

Approx. 3 million people have died globally as a result of Covid 19, according to you, is that correct or not? (a yes/no will do)

Lol nothing anecdotal being frontline worker I can assure you. Longer hours and more to do than before.

And do you think that this is some extraordinary number?
    About 60 million people die every year, 3 out of 60 is nothing to be afraid of.

Now if you had a crystal ball perhaps you could tell me how many of those 3 million would die if no covid came and they got just a flu for example or how many of these people had serious other life threatening diseases. You cant since it stopped to be reported precisely because covid is only one of usually 2-3 other ailments which caused majority of them to die.

Now if you had a crystal ball perhaps you could tell me how many of those 3 million would die if no covid came and they got just a flu for example or how many of these people had serious other life threatening diseases. You cant since it stopped to be reported precisely because covid is only one of usually 2-3 other ailments which caused majority of them to die.

It's a straightforward question, to ask again, approx. 3 million people have died globally as a result of Covid 19, according to you, is that correct or not? (a yes/no will do)

If no, then how many have died as a result according to you?

If you think I am simply justifying authority then you have jumped to the wrong conclusion.
    I try to get to the objective reality of the situation, nothing more.
    You may wish to recalibrate how you attribute supposed motives to other people!

I won't argue with you about nursing homes as you have experience of them and I don't.

However what I will argue with you about are the statements and claims you made in an earlier post,
    and for which you have provided no backup information so far.

If you are genuinely interested in the objective truth you should be able to either:
    a) provide references that back up your claims that the most restrictive states
    in the US had the highest deaths, while the least restrictive had the lowest. or
    b) if you have checked it out, and found you are mistaken, be gracious enough to admit it.

In a sea of misinformation it is not unreasonable for you to fact check me, and vice versa,
    and we all need to be working off reality in order to make sound decisions.

I do not know. I apologize if I offended you, seems you want to find your objective truth crunching some numbers you find on internet and I just live it day in day out.
    I should have go on PUP as it was suggested to me and take a year of paid holiday earning couple hundred less but enjoying back garden and my hobbies perhaps even become self-taught pandemic expert like most of posters here.
    After first few weeks of this I realized what this is and I know I would go crazy if I tried so I just keep going as if nothing is happening because... pretty much nothing is happening anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Lol nothing anecdotal being frontline worker I can assure you. Longer hours and more to do than before.

If I offered you a sweet from a bag of 60 and told you that 3 of them are poison and would kill you would you happily dip in and take a sweet?

If I offered you a sweet from a bag of 60 and told you that 3 of them are poison and would kill you would you happily dip in and take a sweet?

Apples and oranges.
    You seems to forget people live and people die.
    60 died last year and 3 of them with covid.
    18 died from cardiovascular diseases.
    10 from cancer
    Around 9 die from hunger and hunger related diseases. That to me is way scarier than covid.

So even if current estimate of 3 is correct that number is nothing to be scared about. You do have far bigger chance to die from cancer than with covid. And if you get a cancer then covid may very well be the thing that push you through the edge. Or flu, or just plain old cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Apples and oranges.
    10 from cancer
    Around 9 die from hunger and hunger related diseases. That to me is way scarier than covid.

So you won't answer the question?
    So even if current estimate of 3 is correct that number is nothing to be scared about. You do have far bigger chance to die from cancer than with covid. And if you get a cancer then covid may very well be the thing that push you through the edge. Or flu, or just plain old cold.

Yes I could be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, but if I walk into a shop/restaurant/bar there is zero chance of me passing that cancer on to others.

LOL my wife says I am pessimist but the amount of fearmongering which goes on here is way too much even for me.

Apples and oranges.
    10 from cancer

Cancer is not an infectious disease.
    LOL my wife says I am pessimist but the amount of fearmongering which goes on here is way too much even for me.

How many avoidable deaths would vaguely start to concern you? 100 million?

So you won't answer the question?

Because your question is pretty illogical. Pure kindergarten stuff.
    There would be 7860M sweets in a bag and 60M of them will be poison out of which 3M will be covid. And sooner or later every one will have to pick one.
    Or do you think you are immortal?
    Yes I could be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, but if I walk into a shop/restaurant/bar there is zero chance of me passing that cancer on to others.

Buddy, you and me and everyone else do have hundreds of trillions of viruses bacteria or funghi in our bodies and it is estimated that even healthy person harbor an average of 5 deadly viruses to which they may be immune but others are not.
    So yes, when you walk into shop/restaurant/bar you are passing something onto someone else. Every. Single. Time.

• Advertisement

Cancer is not an infectious disease.

Incomparable death rate. Cancer is far deadlier than covid.
    You need to realize that covid is nothing compared to many other infectious diseases.
    Ever heard of tuberculosis? That one alone kill 1 in 10.
    HIV? Hepatitis? All of them pretty much death sentences with only some prolonging life but suffering from it till you die.
    How many avoidable deaths would vaguely start to concern you? 100 million?

That is little incoherent. You are the one who is obsessed with deaths. I am at a peace with a fact that people live and people die. You seems to think that you can avoid death which is a little strange.

Incomparable death rate. Cancer is far deadlier than covid.
    You need to realize that covid is nothing compared to many other infectious diseases.
    Ever heard of tuberculosis? That one alone kill 1 in 10.
    HIV? Hepatitis? All of them pretty much death sentences with only some prolonging life but suffering from it till you die.

It isn't a competition.

The key threat from Covid is not just deaths, but overwhelming domestic health services.
    You seems to think that you can avoid death which is a little strange.

Covid is an avoidable infectious disease, meaning mitigating measures can be taken to reduce cases, and as a result reduce deaths. You do comprehend this correct?

It isn't a competition.

The key threat from Covid is not just deaths, but overwhelming domestic health services.

That is tired and false argument as our health services were overwhelmed and collapsing last 15 years at least.
    My current health issues are direct result of excellence of our precious health system which you claim we saved.
    Covid is an avoidable infectious disease, meaning mitigating measures can be taken to reduce cases, and as a result reduce deaths. You do comprehend this correct?
    Seems that you do not comprehend. Covid is not avoidable unless you move on skelig and do not allow anyone to come in there. It is as avoidable as flu or cold. That means that some years you may be lucky and you do not get it.
    Majority of those who died by the way had some underlying health issues and guess what? People with serious comorbidities will have a hard time to survive covid in the future anyway.
    We were told quite a few times already that maybe second or third generation of vaccines may offer some protection. That is if we manage to make them considering virus mutate we may be in the same situation as we are with flu jabs which are estimated to have about 20% efficiency. That is if they get the strain right.

That is tired and false argument as our health services were overwhelmed and collapsing last 15 years at least.
    My current health issues are direct result of excellence of our precious health system which you claim we saved.

So you think loads of covid patients that have to be isolated, on top of the already “overwhelmed and collapsing” health system wouldn’t have made any difference to death rates of covid and other people that should be getting treatment?

We were told quite a few times already that maybe second or third generation of vaccines may offer some protection. That is if we manage to make them considering virus mutate we may be in the same situation as we are with flu jabs which are estimated to have about 20% efficiency. That is if they get the strain right.

Who said about the second and third generation vaccines? I don’t recall hearing or seeing them mentioned. Also, please provide evidence of the flu vaccine 20%. I am not familiar with that either.

Again, you and other conspiracy theorists are suggesting that the covid numbers are being faked because there is a secret global conspiracy to fake the pandemic for the purposes of installing a communist government/force people to take a deadly vaccines that will alter our DNA.

Why do you believe these claims aren't scaremongering?

Covid is not avoidable unless you move on skelig and do not allow anyone to come in there. It is as avoidable as flu or cold.

Christ

Masks, social distancing and measures reduce the spread of an infectious airborne virus, why do you think flu figures dropped so sharply this year, coincidence?

So to sum up your argument so far

"Lockdowns don't work"
    "People die anyway"
    "Cancer kills X amount per year, so what's a few million dead from Covid"
    "An avoidable contagious disease is unavoidable"

You should be a health minister in Brazil

Christ

Masks, social distancing and measures reduce the spread of an infectious airborne virus, why do you think flu figures dropped so sharply this year, coincidence?
    We been told that this is because the giant conspiracy is mislabeling the flu as Corona virus.
    But when we try to get any details on this claim, conspiracy theorists run away.

• Advertisement

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/mvicaw/doctors_of_reddit_what_happened_when_you/

Medical staff posting anecdotal views of treating Covid deniers who had Covid. Similar stories to many I've read in the press. People will literally die out of spite and stupidity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement