Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

King Mob wrote: »
    But I thought the whole scamdemic thing was just a plot to force small businesses like them out of business?

Could you stop putting words in my mouth please? Don’t assume what my views are. I am not assuming what your views are on everything pandemic related.

What's the obsession with September?

End of tourist season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

End of tourist season.

That doesn't make any sense, tourists can't even enter the country now.

That doesn't make any sense, tourists can't even enter the country now.

Have you heard of staycations?

Have you heard of staycations?

That's small money compared to international tourism, which we rely on heavily.

So your 'theory' is that we will open up to allow the country to make money off tourism, but then lock it down in September for what reason?

Why aren't we open fully now if we want to make money?

• Advertisement

That's small money compared to international tourism, which we rely on heavily.

So your 'theory' is that we will open up to allow the country to make money off tourism, but then lock it down in September for what reason?

Why aren't we open fully now if we want to make money?

You’ll get there in the end don’t worry. If you read through my posts in this thread, I’m not saying that hotels will make a fortune this summer. I’m saying it’s tokenism on behalf of the government, to offer a few months of respite to the hotels, etc.

You’ll get there in the end don’t worry. If you read through my posts in this thread, I’m not saying that hotels will make a fortune this summer. I’m saying it’s tokenism on behalf of the government, to offer a few months of respite to the hotels, etc.

Ah ok, people will be fooled by hotels opening but then bang, curfews and lockdowns for no reason.

Why on earth would the government, who are people like us that we directly elect, be on board with that nonsense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why on earth would the government, who are people like us that we directly elect, be on board with that nonsense?

We voted for a government to run the country not to take our freedoms away from us under the guise of a pandemic. If they wanted to bring in these laws they should have had a referendum on them.

Ah ok, people will be fooled by hotels opening but then bang, curfews and lockdowns for no reason.

Can anybody have any view contrary to your own? You must be a joy to live with/ go for a pint with. If you want me to predict why the next lockdown will occur, it will be because of a deadlier strain of the virus, something like the Asian strain. A strain that the vaccine won’t protect against. Are you satisfied now, or have you more things to badger me about? Have you any prediction of your own? Do you think the lockdowns are over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Close in September till mid to late December. That could well be the last lockdown of its kind. I’m not predicting endless lockdowns. Funny how people put words in your mouth, when you go against their own outlook.

No one is putting words in your mouth. Look at the thread title and you’ll see why someone claiming that there will be a lockdown is queried on its permanency.

• Advertisement

No one is putting words in your mouth. Look at the thread title and you’ll see why someone claiming that there will be a lockdown is queried on its permanency.

Okay fair point. But just because I’m posting here doesn’t mean I’m in total agreement with the original composer of the thread. I’m just giving an opinion about the pandemic. Your own response to me is fine . But many people here are jumping down my throat for no reason.

I heard the government are changing the rules on people from September 17th. Anyone who received a vaccine will get access to gated communities, in houses they've been secretly building on the various mountain ranges around the country. The most scenic and spectacular parts of Ireland. This is where all the builders were working the last year.

These sites will be fully serviced and maintained to a high standard, heavily guarded and gated.

Anyone who didn't get a vaccine will be forced to die of thirst and starvation as, over time, resources run out, as everything will be going specifically to those in the gated, communities.

If anyone who has received the vaccine is hesitant about moving to these areas, the Government will give them 3 free months of Youtube Premium, to sweeten the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

We’ll see. If there is a lockdown in September it will prove my theory right. I don’t think numbers have anything to do with Christmas and summer reopenings.

A lockdown in September wouldn't automatically prove you right.

It would only prove you right if there was no concerning increase in virus numbers,
    and there was no variant on the loose that is immune to the vaccines.

Otherwise your theory (that we lock down for no reason) would be proved false.

PintOfView wrote: »
    A lockdown in September wouldn't automatically prove you right.

It would only prove you right if there was no concerning increase in virus numbers,
    and there was no variant on the loose that is immune to the vaccines.

Otherwise your theory (that we lock down for no reason) would be proved false.

To be honest with you I would bank on a September lockdown regardless of a new strain arriving here. I think the narrative will be: “ye enjoyed yourselves a bit too much lads during the summer and the number of Covid cases has risen, therefore we have to lockdown again.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It’s my prediction that there will a lockdown from roughly September until Mid to late December. I don’t have to give you a theory.

Think. This claim of yours must be based on something. They aren't going to have a national lockdown because "someone on the internet predicted it", there must be some logical reason. What is logical reason? and why?

GT89 wrote: »
    We voted for a government to run the country not to take our freedoms away from us under the guise of a pandemic.

So, you believe that governments all over the world are not trying to reduce the pandemic with these measures, instead it's all some ruse to "take our freedoms away" only to reinstate them later

Why?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Think. This claim of yours must be based on something. They aren't going to have a national lockdown because "someone on the internet predicted it", there must be some logical reason. What is logical reason? and why?

This thread is literally unbearable. If you read any of my posts on this thread you would see that I have said there will be a future lockdown (in September) for either the following two reasons:
    1. A new strain of the virus.
    2. Numbers will spike because of having been opened during the summer months.
    And I will leave it at that for tonight. Thank you.

This thread:

Step 1. Post nonsensical claim or prediction
    Step 2. Be completely unable to detail it
    Step 3. Be unable to support it with logic or evidence in any way
    Step 4. Be unable to answer basic questions on it
    Step 5. Evade, deflect, waffle and engage in whataboutery
    Step 6. Disappear for awhile, then return to start Step 1. again

This thread:

I made a claim and backed it up with theories as to why I made that claim, look in my post above. What are your predictions? Are the lockdowns over? Have you any view that you will stand over?

This thread:

At least tell us how you see the next year playing out regarding the pandemic, if the rest of us are wrong. You tell us how life will be for the next 12 months in your view.

• Advertisement

This thread is literally unbearable. If you read any of my posts on this thread you would see that I have said there will be a future lockdown (in September) for either the following two reasons:
    1. A new strain of the virus.

Very simple, use the word "if"

If the Indian variant is more serious than expected (which we are all aware of) then some measures may remain

If a brand new virus emerges from somewhere then we may have to lockdown again
    2. Numbers will spike because of having been opened during the summer months.
    And I will leave it at that for tonight. Thank you.

Likewise, if cases rise significantly due to the summer then some measures may need to be reintroduced

We're all aware of this, but it's getting more and more unlikely due to the new factor - vaccinations, which are reducing cases all the time, and that's only getting greater as more are getting vaccinated

Keep in mind, you are in a thread where people are "predicting" everything from Satan taking over to the Communists, so when someone starts making "predictions" of lockdowns rather than conditional statements, it comes across as more potential loonbaggery

Very simple, use the word "if"

If the Indian variant is more serious than expected (which we are all aware of) then some measures may remain

If a brand new virus emerges from somewhere then we may have to lockdown again

Likewise, if cases rise significantly due to the summer then some measures may need to be reintroduced

We're all aware of this, but it's getting more and more unlikely due to the new factor - vaccinations, which are reducing cases all the time, and that's only getting greater as more are getting vaccinated

Keep in mind, you are in a thread where people are "predicting" everything from Satan taking over to the Communists, so when someone starts making "predictions" of lockdowns rather than conditional statements, it comes across as more potential loonbaggery

Ah look whatever man. I’ve had enough of point scoring with strangers on the internet for one night. You are welcome to spend the rest of the night here taking on newcomers if you wish. Peace out.

Can anybody have any view contrary to your own? You must be a joy to live with/ go for a pint with. If you want me to predict why the next lockdown will occur, it will be because of a deadlier strain of the virus, something like the Asian strain. A strain that the vaccine won’t protect against. Are you satisfied now, or have you more things to badger me about? Have you any prediction of your own? Do you think the lockdowns are over?

Bit defensive there, if you don't want to discuss your theory on a discussion forum then why bother posting?

So far there is no evidence that any of the variants render the vaccines ineffective, our ICU/hospital numbers are consistantly dropping so it seems highly unlikely we will need to lock down again

GT89 wrote: »
    We voted for a government to run the country not to take our freedoms away from us under the guise of a pandemic. If they wanted to bring in these laws they should have had a referendum on them.

Guise? What are you insinuating here?

We don't need referendums on public health issues though, we already have laws in place for the most part. A referendum to give us powers we already have would be daft and would take forever.

Also FYI the majority of people throughout the pandemic have been broadly in favour of restrictions.

Bit defensive there, if you don't want to discuss your theory on a discussion forum then why bother posting?

So far there is no evidence that any of the variants render the vaccines ineffective, our ICU/hospital numbers are consistantly dropping so it seems highly unlikely we will need to lock down again

I’m glad that you think there won’t be any more lockdowns. I don’t happen to share your opinion, but we’ll agree to differ. It would be nice if there weren’t any more of them.

Ah look whatever man. I’ve had enough of point scoring with strangers on the internet for one night. You are welcome to spend the rest of the night here taking on newcomers if you wish. Peace out.

Nothing to do with point-scoring, it's basic logic

Nothing to do with point-scoring, it's basic logic

Your almost 9,000 posts tell their own story. Get a hobby for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

To be honest with you I would bank on a September lockdown regardless of a new strain arriving here. I think the narrative will be: “ye enjoyed yourselves a bit too much lads during the summer and the number of Covid cases has risen, therefore we have to lockdown again.”

What makes you think that anyone could get away with a narrative like that?
    Surely you're joking when you say things like that?
    Or do you think that's how the people in government think?

PintOfView wrote: »
    What makes you think that anyone could get away with a narrative like that?
    Surely you're joking when you say things like that?
    Or do you think that's how the people in government think?

Hasn’t that been the case till now in Ireland? Open, numbers go up, lockdown again. Rinse, repeat.

• Advertisement

Hasn’t that been the case till now in Ireland? Open, numbers go up, lockdown again. Rinse, repeat.

That was before vaccinations though, we still have 3-500 cases a day now but bugger all are hospitalised with it. Its not the same situation now as it was last September

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement