Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sorry lads just checked in on the thread. Seems to be a lot of rehashing, whataboutery and downplaying of Covid going on. Can any one point out a permanent restriction that's still here?

Well after they lift the current restrictions, they'll reinstate them again, and that time it really will be the big one and they'll be permanent forever.

Martial Law is just around the corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Nobody in government ever gives us advanced warning of a lockdown. It won’t happen for two months anyway I’d imagine. In the meantime we’d better nab any Indian nationals running from hotels.

I’d love an imagination that was a bit wild at times. Unfortunately my mind seems too logical and that’s probably why I ended up doing the work I do.

The government has given notice in the past. They soften the blow by talking about it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sorry lads just checked in on the thread. Seems to be a lot of rehashing, whataboutery and downplaying of Covid going on. Can any one point out a permanent restriction that's still here?

No none really. We're now looking at late summer winter for it to kick off again apparently. "we'll see" etc. Its not easy to get off the fear and paranoia train.

Conspiraloons desperately scrambling about for another conspiracy after wasting a year of their lives. A lot of them alienating friends and family along the way.

Remember martial law was being brought in back in March 2020? Then social distancing was supposed to be because its easier to identify people 2m apart over 5G. But then masks were brought in which means its harder to identify people so that theory fell away.

So many things just didn't (and wont) happen. A lot of people are gutted because they look really stupid. And have left a trail of stupidity online.
    So we can all go out and have a beer and a pizza.

The Dutch have just passed a law (under the radar I might add) abolishing doctor-patient confidentiality.
    But allowing for personal records to be examined and not to be challenged.

Have they? Source?

Is this the one they've been trying to implement for years to tackle disability fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

King Mob wrote: »
    Well after they lift the current restrictions, they'll reinstate them again, and that time it really will be the big one and they'll be permanent forever.

Martial Law is just around the corner...

I remember when lockdown started and I was told that the Army would be on the streets of England rounding people up who were breaking restrictions:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I remember when lockdown started and I was told that the Army would be on the streets of England rounding people up who were breaking restrictions:pac:

Same in Ireland when they set up the tents down on the quays. Gas craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

PintOfView wrote: »
    I could say "whether people like it or not there is going to be snow in Ireland this August".
    Without any reason for saying it, my statement has the same value as yours
    (though both of us could accidently be right).

Will you be working off the assumption that there will be a lockdown in September?
    So, not booking anything for Sept or Oct, etc?

I’ve given reasons already as to why I think there will be another lockdown. Please read back over my posts in the thread, as I am not a dancing monkey. Booking what, tickets to a rock concert? A night out in a nightclub/ late night bar with my friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

aido79 wrote: »
    Can you explain why you think another lockdown will be necessary? What stage do you think the vaccine program will be at in September?
    Are you completely unable to see a link between lockdowns and the level of transmission of the virus in the community because you have some sort of anti government chip on your shoulder?

I already have explained my reasons for a lockdown on this thread, if you want them go back through the comments I have already posted.

I remember when they were claiming that stuff in 2009 with swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I remember when they were claiming that stuff in 2009 with swine flu.

In 2009, I was told by an eminent doctor that 1 in 250 people would die from swine flu.

In 2009, I was told by an eminent doctor that 1 in 250 people would die from swine flu.
    Cool. Source for that?

How about all the conspiracy theorists who were claiming that there was going to be martial law?
    Forced vaccinations?
    Depopulation?
    The actual biblical apocalypse?

Were they more right when they claimed all this exact same stuff this time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Close in September till mid to late December. That could well be the last lockdown of its kind. I’m not predicting endless lockdowns. Funny how people put words in your mouth, when you go against their own outlook.

This is what you said:
    Just to stop lobbying groups like the Vintners Association from going totally nuts. They give hotels, bars and restaurants a carrot or two every summer.

Are you backtracking on the every summer remark?

So final lockdown in September till December, Hotels will close again, ending in December/January.

If that doesn't come true, what do you think the reasons will be?

Are you paraphrasing the doctor?

Did they actually say something like "With no restrictions and treatment there will be 1 death per 250 people"?

Cool. Source for that?

How about all the conspiracy theorists who were claiming that there was going to be martial law?
    Forced vaccinations?
    Depopulation?
    The actual biblical apocalypse?

Were they more right when they claimed all this exact same stuff this time around?

My source is the person who told me. He was the lead doctor in dealing with swine flu in a particular area. I'm not going to name him on here so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Regarding the rest of your questions, you'll have to ask the conspiracy theorists. I hadn't heard of any of those theories at that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

astrofool wrote: »

Did they actually say something like "With no restrictions and treatment there will be 1 death per 250 people"?

There were no swine flu restrictions but there weren't 1 in 250 people dead either

No. He didn't put any caveats on it. It was the expectation at that particular time according to him. He would have been informed by higher echelons of the HSE as he was the lead for a particular area's response.

My source is the person who told me. He was the lead doctor in dealing with swine flu in a particular area. I'm not going to name him on here so you'll just have to take my word for it.
    Lol no, sorry. I am not going to take the word of some randomer on the internet.
    You can't support that quote. It's the same as making it up.
    Regarding the rest of your questions, you'll have to ask the conspiracy theorists. I hadn't heard of any of those theories at that time.
    And I don't quite believe this either.

Regardless, these claims have been made before verbatim about swine flu.
    Don't you think this kinda throws up some warning flags about the claims being made now?

No. He didn't put any caveats on it. It was the expectation at that particular time according to him. He would have been informed by higher echelons of the HSE as he was the lead for a particular area's response.

OK, if that's the case then he was just an ill informed doctor or he was engaging in hyperbolae or was taking some worst case statistic and spreading it.

I'm sure there are similar predictions around COVID ranging from worst to best case, of course, some people will latch onto the worst predictions and proclaim it not happening means it's not a big deal, this trivialises the millions who have died from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I already have explained my reasons for a lockdown on this thread, if you want them go back through the comments I have already posted.

It's not worth going back over the thread to find. Vaccines are kicking in, deaths and numbers in ICU are going down, The government is spending billions that it can't keep doing forever, yet we're due permanent restrictions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Are sure you were using this same name?
    I don't remember you giving any reasons in this thread!
    (however someone else did talk about Newstalk leaking that there was going to be a lockdown in September)!!

Lol no, sorry. I am not going to take the word of some randomer on the internet.
    You can't support that quote. It's the same as making it up.

And I don't quite believe this either.

Regardless, these claims have been made before verbatim about swine flu.
    Don't you think this kinda throws up some warning flags about the claims being made now?

I'm lying? No point engaging with you so.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    There were no swine flu restrictions but there weren't 1 in 250 people dead either

Do you not have an answer to my previous response to you?
    see below

We both want to know the truth, and reality, etc. (I presume!),
    and I'd be interested in your explanation?

Bad flu year! Don't think so!

I can understand that graphs might not mean much to some people, so let me show you
    the number of people who died in Florida, in two different weeks of the past 4 years
    (week of 14th Jan, and week of 1st Aug)

Florida: Deaths per week (in two sample weeks, over the past 4 years)
    Year|Wk of 14th Jan|Wk of 1st Aug| ..
    2017 |4,337|3,668|
    2018 |4,696|3,686|
    2019 |4,202|3,899|
    2020 |4,410|5,791| <- normal flu season, but look at August!!!

Do you find the table understandable?

If you do, then what is your explanation for the number of people who died in 2020 in week of 1st Aug?
    (2,000 people more than normal died in that week, in the middle of Summer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's a conspiracy theory forum, it's horse**** central in here. Sorry if you are telling the truth but all "anecdotes" here have to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

OK, if that's the case then he was just an ill informed doctor or he was engaging in hyperbolae or was taking some worst case statistic and spreading it.

I'm sure there are similar predictions around COVID ranging from worst to best case, of course, some people will latch onto the worst predictions and proclaim it not happening means it's not a big deal, this trivialises the millions who have died from it.

He was ill-informed. That wasn't his fault. I worked with him for a number of years and never heard any hyperbole from him. He was a very intelligent and principled man. I never mentioned it again to him as I knew he would be embarrassed to have passed on such wrong information.

Regarding Covid, if you went back over the predictions and pronouncements from a variety of authoritative sources over the past 18 months, no doubt some of them would be mindboggling. It is today, when humanity now knows the truths of Covid-19 having experienced it firsthand, that we should fully accept what agencies like the CDC, EMA, WHO and HSE are telling us.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy theory forum, it's horse**** central in here. Sorry if you are telling the truth but all "anecdotes" here have to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

No need to apologise. I know I'm telling the truth and that's all that matters ultimately.

If you're not, you're welcome to provide some evidence.
    But if you can't provide any evidence, how could we tell you're not lying?

Conspiracy theorists here lie constantly. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that you are also lying.

You have also dodged the other part of my post, which is also dishonest and underhanded which shows that you are comfortable with such things.

So why should anyone believe your claim or take it seriously?

Why should we take it any more seriously than the recycled conspiracy theories we're hearing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

All I've seen is that you think there may be a new strain or that there won't be enough people vaccinated unless I've missed something.

Why do you believe any of these things are conspiracies? And if you don't why are you promoting the conspiracy since there are numerous other threads to post on regarding covid which aren't conspiracy related?

No need to apologise. I know I'm telling the truth and that's all that matters ultimately.

I don't recall you being unreasonable. Sounds like you've just got caught in the cross fire!

I don't recall you being unreasonable. Sounds like you've just got caught in the cross fire!

Yeah, I should have stayed in the trench and kept my mouth shut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yeah, I should have stayed in the trench and kept my mouth shut!

It's just that poster's style of posting always on the offensive.

• Advertisement

It's just that poster's style of posting always on the offensive.

Yerra, it was a bit aggressive but we all get caught up in the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement