Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So is it time to close the thread?

Serious talk. Closing on 91% fully vaccinated adults. More on the way. I'm off for lunch with my son and then to the cinema. Maybe a pint later at the local arcade bar.

Well it does mean that they're permanent if they don't go in those places post-vaccination.

And masks could soon be brought back everywhere: Face masks could become compulsory in shops again in a matter of weeks if Autumn Covid surge continues - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

But Gortanna. This point has been explained to you dozens of times by now.

You have utterly failed to explain why they want people to wear maks.

You agreed that you can't provide a conspriacy explanation.

You admitted the conspiracy theory doesn't make sense.

You embarass yourself every single time you run back to this stupid idea.

Why?

Why keep being a spam bot for a conspiracy theory your know is stupid and wrong?

It's really sad that you keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

If we end up like Israel, that's a number that can just easily go down as it goes up. When new variants arrive it might even be reset back to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why do you believe them when they've made so many promises and guarantees in the past almost two years and then gone back on them?

The best thing to do would be to wait and see. They're talking about "avoiding lockdowns" (the fact that they're even talking about lockdowns with almost the entire adult population vaccinated is alarming) and reintroducing masks in the winter. As I have said before, if vaccination of the population isn't enough to get rid of restrictions for good, then I don't see how they ever go.

Could you do that without masks, without socially distancing, and without showing a vaccine passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yes, in England you can, this weekend I have been to the cinema, ice skating, for 2 meals and drinks in several bars without any masks, social distancing rules or vaccine passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've watched the restrictions unwind one by one and still act as if they will continue indefinitely. There has been no guarantees, in fact pretty much every plan has been dependent on case rates and hospital occupancy as caveats.

Voluntary face masking will remain, everything other measure will disappear.

The long term effect on society will remain in the form of remote working becoming more common, plexiglass will likely remain in place for a long time (just because it won't be removed), we'll also see better ventilation by default at a lot of venues.

• Advertisement

But not in Ireland. By the way, it's not just Ireland where I believe several measures will be permanent. I could name 10 or 15 other countries. But it's an opinions' game when it's all said and done. I'm open to being wrong, and hope I am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do you think they are actively lying about not implementing vaccine passports then? Where is your evidence that they still intend to bring them in?

If something drastic changes with the whole pandemic situation and they happen to then need to bring in such things in the future because of those changes it does not prove your case, that just meets the definition of "keeping it in reserve".

For your claim to be met you need to be showing at this point in time your evidence for them lying to us.

Social distancing remains, mask wearing remains, and will until at least next spring in retail, on public transport, in healthcare settings, and we've heard nothing about planes (that's probably not up to the Government), and there's nothing concrete or definite about vaccine passports going. In fact, there's no guarantee measures will be lifted on the 22nd of October. So the best thing to do is to wait and see what happens.

They ruled out vaccine passports for months while the contracts had been signed and they were being developed. I linked to articles about the many times they ruled them out in another post. I'm just cautioning against being quick to believe that vaccine passports won't be introduced because every other day the story seems to change. The exact opposite, i.e. that vaccine passports would be required, was reported a couple of days ago.

But there is a lot of opposition over there. None from the actual opposition, but there have been lots of protests (not covered by most of the media) and the Covid Recovery Group is serious opposition. So I believe that that opposition forced the u-turn (if it is actually a u-turn).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why not just simplify your whole argument to "I've no idea what I'm taking about, but if I throw enough daft ideas out there something might end up vaguely sounding similar to one of the things I said at some point in the future and I can claim my new title of Nostradamus"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’ve been to the cinema with kids. No masks inside the cinema during the film. I’ve been to bars. No masks inside while drinking. Haven’t been asked for a vaccine passport either. What planet are you on @Gortanna ? I live in Ireland and the restrictions you talk about don’t exist. Even the 2m is history with people.

Lol so the global conspiracy was defeated by a protest group?

That was easy.

No. You are not open to being wrong.

When you are shown to be wrong or ita explained to you why your clai.s are false or otherwise ridiculous. You ignore, run away and the come back with the same false arguments as if they weren't just explained to you.

You've been caught out in several lies. You don't respond to any points.

You just spam the same debunked crap over and over knowing full well its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

It's hard to keep up. You post links to restrictions in the UK or elsewhere when it suits your narrative. But when someone else does the same you try and being it back to Ireland.

How are you not sick with all the spinning and backtracking you are doing?

A teeeeeeeeny tiny inconvenience I am more than happy to go through for the safety of my fellow human being, particularly the older generation. Regardless, it's hardly life-ruining, now is it? "Here's a passport", I wear a mask walking to my seat and, from what I can tell, I'm sitting as close to people as I did before covid.

My point is that I read here many months ago that the end of civilization was coming. It clearly hasn't. So we should end the thread.

• Advertisement

On and by the way, facemasks are a fantastic idea. No flu this year as everyone is wearing masks. I would love to see two things taken away - wear masks in winter if you are elderly so you don't get flu and 2) wear a mask if you are ill as a consideration to others (as in Japan).

I'll be also making use of the wearing mask on certain days in the summer when pollen count is high. Made a massive difference to my day when I kept the mask on during the walk back home after dropping the kid at school in the morning last term on those days.

You can do that just fine in the UK where you continuously link articles from .... had a lovely roast dinner yesterday in a pub in England, no masks, no vaccine checks, no social distancing...

Irish government have continued restrictions because they haven't fixed the underlying issue, a shite health service that even a serious incident would oversubscribe hospital beds and emergency services for the whole country... their only out is the vaccine

• Subscribers Posts: 41,580 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gortanna seems to be caught in this logical fallacy spiral that where things occur, they seem to assume they will occur forever (lockdowns, services closed, mask wearing, etc)

the problem being that as each restriction is lifted, there is no understanding of why the restriction is lifted (because they very much dont understand the pandemic at all, they see it as a wider nefarious conspiracy to control us all)

this lack of understanding just makes them double down on whatever the status quo is at that time.

its patently obvious right now that the title of this thread is a lie. All covid-19 measures are very much NOT permanent. however for the die hards this is incomprehensible as to admit so means they have to deny their whole belief system.

they are incapable of doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And more importantly would have to admit that theyve wasted 18 months down this rabbit hole. Theres no conspiracy, no 5G tracking, no magnets in the vaccine, no martial law, no one is taking your home from you, schools open, people going back to the office, small business assitance scheme was there to support businesses (the loons say lockdowns are done to destroy small business) etc etc.

Theyre all running away now. It must be humiliating looking back on some of the nonsense theyve spouted. A lot of people have fallen out with family and friends too over their stupid beliefs. Sad stuff. Some huge humble pies beaing eaten at the moment.

For how long are you willing to protect them for? If being double vaccinated isn't enough protection for the elderly then I don't know what is.

This is an important question: do you see any downsides at all to wearing masks? I occasionally read that mask thread and the majority of the posters there see no downsides at all to wearing masks. In fact, some want them to be permanent, which I actually believe they will be in certain contexts.

The Great Reset will take place in May. We should wait to see what happens there. Schwab is pushing for the wholesale transformation of society. When Ireland looks like Denmark then the thread can be closed.

But I don't believe any restriction has been lifted. I don't consider cafés and restaurants closing to be restrictions in the context of what brianhere is talking about (it is his thread after all). I think, and brianhere can correct me if I'm wrong, he's talking about masks, social distancing, vaccine passports, testing, children being sent home from school over a test (the disruption of education), the 24/7 covid ads, the yellow signs everywhere, the sticker sin the supermarkets, the yellow tape, the constant threat of lockdown etc.

None of those restrictions has been lifted, and there's no guarantee that some or any of them will be on the 22nd.

And I have also said that I don't believe this thread should be in this forum. I have spoken of the creation of a 'safety at all costs society'. This thread is in the wrong forum, in my opinion.

I refer to the UK when another poster mentions the UK, or occasionally to make a comparison (it makes sense to compare Ireland with its next door neighbour). I agree with you that England is almost completely back to normal, and I agree with you about the health service in Ireland.

You keep saying that, but the measures have not been lifted. The ones I mention in a post above. Places have reopened, but a significant number of people are banned from those places. And those places are not as they were in February 2020.

There's no rabbit hole as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe this thread should be in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Brianhere believes Ireland is about to be taken over by Communists, and that an infectious disease is all some ruse for that. Perhaps it's time you stop reading nonsense conspiracy sites and actually tune into reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement